ORAS NU Gen 2 Tity shake , BULKY OFFENSE , Changed after typh and rupt vote (peak 1685)

(I want to extend the threat list, please leave your suggestions)

Hey People of the Smogon Forums,
This is my first thread on the forum, so don't expect it to be perfect. This is a team for the nu tier, it counters a lot of teams and doesn't mind SR being up. Most of this pokes can take multiple hits, set up and/or hit hard. The main idea is that one pokemon absorbs super effective moves using their ability.
Bouffalant - Sap Sipper
Typloshion - Flash Fire
Seismatoad - Water Absorb

The team has been tested for over a month now and I peaked to the high 1500's which is fairly high for a player with my skill level. I've also tested and added most of the suggested sets and changed the team accordingly. I know it's no the best team but I really like to use it in the NU tier or in the OU tier as well.

Bouffalant
I run bouffalant because it's one of the best bulky offensive Pokemon in NU. Seismatoad is 4x weak to grass so bouffalant can safely switch into grass moves absorbing them with Sap sipper and get +1 attack in the process. It becomes even better when the opposing poke is locked into a grass move, so you can get up a sub and SD up behind it. If they can't break the sub in one hit they're usually going to lose at least two pokes. Earthquake is obvious (100 base power) and Stone edge is there to hit flying types, defensive rotom counters this set really well. So I needed a switch into him. I don't run head smash 'cause of recoil and a normal type move leaves bouffalant weak to ghost types like mismagius. You could run STAB return on bouffalant if you like the extra power.

Afro jim (Bouffalant) (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- substitute
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake/Return
- Stone Edge/Return

Oh yeah, Keep Afro Jim female 'cause of the lolz.

Seismitoad
Enter Seismitoad (counter rotom) , an electric stopping beast of a mon. It's also a save switch into water type attacks (typhlosion's weakness). Rocks are needed for my other mons to savely sweep without encountering focus sash troubles. Grass Knot is here to check Samurott (thanks to marilli 's suggestion). I like mystic water because of the extra power against archeops.

Sponge (Seismitoad) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot

Mawile
HJAD suggested a defensive Mawile set which works really well on this team. It literally eats hits and forces switches and creates initiative with baton pass.
What defensive pivot mawile allows you to do is more reliably check flying types like guts swellow and archeops itself. It's also really bulky after an intimidate and with Max def investment. Baton pass means that you can click it more times than not and get the momentum at the end of the turn to go into typhlosion or bouffalant and try to sweep.
extra mouth =uber (Mawile) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Baton Pass

I've added Blastral's KlingKlang set and it worked like a charm. I 6-0 people with the set, because of the lack of fire types.
The biggest thing I think you might struggle with is a lack of a wincon against offense; in particular, a Pokemon that can boost its Speed or something would be really beneficial for you since it gives you something to clean faster teams without getting revenge killed. For that reason I think it would be worth trying out Klinklang over Mawile. Klinklang accomplishes that while retaining most of Mawile's resistances, and as an added bonus gives you a secondary booster to help break down stallier teams, especially after Bouffalant has put in some work.

Vileplume
Standard vileplume set is here to take hits and stay in for days using Synthesis, Ryan432 suggest Moon light 'cause of healiing in sandstorm
Monnlight over Synthesis/Aromatherpy because if I'm correct, sythesis heals you less if your in sand and Hippotoamos(lel I can't spell) is a thing.
Aroma therepy is also good if you team is statused. Sleep powder is here to neutralize incoming threats and swith the hell out.
Effect spore is one of the best defensive abilities because it can neutralize or take out opposing threats as well. You have to switch if ferroseed is coming in because you can't do anything to it. Might be worth running hp fire on this set.

Lullaby (Vileplume) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb / Hp fire
- Giga Drain
- Moonlight
- Sleep Powder

Pyroar
Typhlosion and Cameupt are banned from NU so the next best NU fire type is Pyroar. Double stab is good (an extra 0,5 is always good) and you don't need the flash fire ability anymore 'cause of the suspect test vote results. Fire blast is for extra power against resisted switch ins, which you can hit with HP Grass after that. Will-O-Wisp is for a physical threat that you will outspeed and neutralize it using this.

Scarfed (Pyroar) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rivalry
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

Xatu
Last but not least, I've added another suggested poke and it works like a charm against opposing malamars and magic bounce is to trampoline spikes and SR back to the opponent's side of the field.

Finally, to wrap off the team with a Malamar check and hazard control, I suggest Electrode -> Xatu. Xatu bounces hazards if necessary, and checks Malamar with Signal Beam.
I've decided to keep t-wave on their because it neutralizes fast opposing pokemons.

gen 2 tity shake (Xatu) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 200 HP / 132 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Roost​

Ferroseed
really walls the shit out of my team without pyroar. So keep it alive untill this thing is down. Might want to run HP fire on vileplume to counter this.

Afro jim (Bouffalant) (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Lullaby (Vileplume) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Moonlight
- Sleep Powder

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Ability: Rivalry
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

gen 2 tity shake (Xatu) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 200 HP / 132 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Roost

Sponge (Seismitoad) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Water Absorb
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Return
- Substitute

Last edited:
Looks good, looking for stuff to change but can't seem to find anything largely significant. You have all that keys to an NU team here and with my additions, a really solid one.

Solid job :]

I would suggest changing Pyroar's moveset. Dark Pulse and Roar are pretty sub-par options on it. I would change Dark Pulse and Roar to two of the following: Overheat, Fire Blast, Hidden Power Grass, Hidden Power Electric, or Will-O-Wisp.

Why don't you have a STAB attack of Bouffalant? Just wondering...
Thaught I covered more pokemon using this :)

Your importable is a little messed up, might wanna check that out
Will do thanks!

I would suggest changing Pyroar's moveset. Dark Pulse and Roar are pretty sub-par options on it. I would change Dark Pulse and Roar to two of the following: Overheat, Fire Blast, Hidden Power Grass, Hidden Power Electric, or Will-O-Wisp.
I really haven't thought it true was even thinking about using ninetails(flash fire) , but you don't really need it since the votes for nu suspect got in. This looked like the third best fire type in the tier, since typh and rupt are banned. I will however have a look at the moveset and change it accordingly. Do you have any motivation for changing it up?

haxiom edit: I merged 3 consecutive posts. Please don't double/triple post

Last edited by a moderator:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
SubSD Bouffalant / Offensive Seismitoad / Defensive Mawile / Defensive Vileplume / Pyroar / Xatu

Hey dude, cool team. The biggest thing I think you might struggle with is a lack of a wincon against offense; in particular, a Pokemon that can boost its Speed or something would be really beneficial for you since it gives you something to clean faster teams without getting revenge killed. For that reason I think it would be worth trying out Klinklang over Mawile. Klinklang accomplishes that while retaining most of Mawile's resistances, and as an added bonus gives you a secondary booster to help break down stallier teams, especially after Bouffalant has put in some work.

Klinklang @ Leftovers | Clear Body
252 Atk / 176 Spe / 80 HP | Adamant
Shift Gear | Gear Grind | Return | Substitute

A lot of your sets are somewhat suboptimal, so they could use some sprucing up. Firstly I would highly recommend trying a STAB move on Bouffalant over Substitute, either Return or Head Charge. Having a STAB move makes breaking defensive cores so much easier because you have a stronger move to hit neutral targets with, and as a bonus Normal STABs are really spammable in NU. Plus, you have Lum Berry, which makes Sub pretty redundant anyway, and with Klinklang, you don't need to block revenge killing from offense as much. On Pyroar, I'd suggest use Hidden Power Grass and Will-O-Wisp over Dark Pulse and Roar. Dark Pulse isn't necessary for Pyroar because a neutral Fire Blast already hits harder than a super effective Dark Pulse, while HP Grass can target Rock-types which resist your dual STABs. Wisp allows you to score some residual damage on stuff like Mantine as well as cripple Hariyama, and since you don't have Spikes on your team or anything, Roar isn't as useful. I also think it would be a good idea to try out HP Fire over Sleep Powder on Vileplume; your team really can't afford to give Steel-types free setup, but you still really want Sludge Bomb just because its neutral coverage is really great.

This is also more up to you, but I'd try out Rocky Helmet on Xatu. Since Vileplume already covers Fighting-types really well, you don't need to absorb Knock Offs from them with Xatu as much (which is Colbur's main purpose). Helmet on the other hand is nice for getting some chip damage off on physical attackers, and puts way more pressure on Ferroseed in particular, which I agree you're a bit weak to.

Gl with the team, and I hope I helped!

SubSD Bouffalant / Offensive Seismitoad / Defensive Mawile / Defensive Vileplume / Pyroar / Xatu

Hey dude, cool team. The biggest thing I think you might struggle with is a lack of a wincon against offense; in particular, a Pokemon that can boost its Speed or something would be really beneficial for you since it gives you something to clean faster teams without getting revenge killed. For that reason I think it would be worth trying out Klinklang over Mawile. Klinklang accomplishes that while retaining most of Mawile's resistances, and as an added bonus gives you a secondary booster to help break down stallier teams, especially after Bouffalant has put in some work.

Klinklang @ Leftovers | Clear Body
252 Atk / 176 Spe / 80 HP | Adamant
Shift Gear | Gear Grind | Return | Substitute

A lot of your sets are somewhat suboptimal, so they could use some sprucing up. Firstly I would highly recommend trying a STAB move on Bouffalant over Substitute, either Return or Head Charge. Having a STAB move makes breaking defensive cores so much easier because you have a stronger move to hit neutral targets with, and as a bonus Normal STABs are really spammable in NU. Plus, you have Lum Berry, which makes Sub pretty redundant anyway, and with Klinklang, you don't need to block revenge killing from offense as much. On Pyroar, I'd suggest use Hidden Power Grass and Will-O-Wisp over Dark Pulse and Roar. Dark Pulse isn't necessary for Pyroar because a neutral Fire Blast already hits harder than a super effective Dark Pulse, while HP Grass can target Rock-types which resist your dual STABs. Wisp allows you to score some residual damage on stuff like Mantine as well as cripple Hariyama, and since you don't have Spikes on your team or anything, Roar isn't as useful. I also think it would be a good idea to try out HP Fire over Sleep Powder on Vileplume; your team really can't afford to give Steel-types free setup, but you still really want Sludge Bomb just because its neutral coverage is really great.

This is also more up to you, but I'd try out Rocky Helmet on Xatu. Since Vileplume already covers Fighting-types really well, you don't need to absorb Knock Offs from them with Xatu as much (which is Colbur's main purpose). Helmet on the other hand is nice for getting some chip damage off on physical attackers, and puts way more pressure on Ferroseed in particular, which I agree you're a bit weak to.

Gl with the team, and I hope I helped!
Hey Blastral,

I'll test out your suggestions, I have tested out return on bouffalant which works fine so I'm going to change that.
I really like sleep power on Vileplume , because it could potentially neutralize offensive threats for a bit.
You're right on Pyroar and I'm going to change that set.

Sine Xatu is my main Malamar check I really like goldur berrry on it, 'cause the opponent is likely to go for a super effective knock off rather then super power or anything and this way I could kill it with 2 signal beams.

I am gonna come back on Kling Klang Because I need more time testing it out.

Thanks for your rate :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)