Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an interview with Junichi Masuda he revealed that they started development of XY around the time BW was released 2010-2011, XY was released late 2013.

Pokemon Sun and Moon were probably already in development when XY was released and they probably had a research trip like they did for XY (the development team went on a research trip to France). Maybe we can figure out the setting of the new Pokemon games by stalking Masuda and the places he has visited recently haha.

Something that is impossible to not notice is the similarities the new logos have with Solrock and Lunatone. According to the Pokedex these Pokemon came from space so if this Pokemon have a central role in the new games I wonder if we will see some space exploration like in ORAS and if these Pokemon have a Legendary Pokemon associated with them. Let me remind you that there's already a genderless Rock-type Pokemon that has a Legendary directly related to it... Diancie is a rare mutation/transformation of Carbink.

I'm happy we are going directly for a new generation. Besides megas XY introduced the least amount of Pokemon of all generations so far and at this point I have all the Pokemon I need. I want 150+ new Pokemon :3

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just wanted to post my thoughts while I have time, may have already been said / debunked but this thread is tl;dr for me right now!

So these have been confirmed as the next generation games, cool, but what about Zygarde and all the open ended story plots from XY? To me, XY / Gen VI is terribly unfinished. We have Zygarde's formes, train tracks leading no where, hints at a 'Southern Kalos' from NPC's, and a weirdly small regional Pokedex. This is why I strongly believe that Sun and Moon will be to XY like what GSC is to RBY. We're gonna be starting our journey in Johto Southern Kalos and traveling around meeting all these cool new Pokemon, with a few familiar ones from Kanto Northern Kalos popping up around the place. We'll meet and chase Suicune Zygarde cells around the region, and there'll be some NPC trying to do the same thing. However, instead having having the two regions seperated like how Johto/Kanto are, it'll be a bit more like Unova with BW/BW2 and we'll probably travel it in a similar way.

However, I have no idea how the versions will differ with Zygarde. There's gotta have to be a Sun Version legendary and Moon Version legendary. Are these used by the bad guys and you use Zygarde to fight them? Or is Zygarde actually the bad guy and you use the cover legend to beat him? That's one thing I haven't really been able to figure out!

Anyway, we were going pretty wild over the thought of Fissure Machamp in the Battle Spot chat. At least there's some comfort in the thought that the impending Mega Solrock and Lunatone can switch in and win with Psychic STAB n_n

I also think that Sun and Moon expand on Kalos in a similar way to how gold and silver did on red and blue. Many indicators have already been pointed out ( 1st gen Megas, Santalune forest being just like Viridian forest and even the red and blue X & Y logos giving 6th generation main games quite a red and blue vibe, kalos not only being incomplete but also hinting more than once to the new region). As if this weren't enough, the fact that zygarde - a kalos legendary - new form can only be used on the new games ( I can't see it as being an anime only thing, so it has to play a role on Sun and Moon) pretty much establishes that the new game is closely linked to X & Y. Taking all of this into consideration, I expect Sun and Moon to be some sort of sequel to X & Y like gold and silver were to red and blue.

On another note, if I recall correctly the sundial has something to do with the ultimate weapon which was powered by xerneas/yveltal. The sundial is also related to mega evolution. And in X & Y we have, in addition to all the hints to a new region, also the mention of a moon dial. Info from the new movie confirmed that zygarde is also linked to mega evolution but that can only be exploited in a new game. X & Y have the mega evolution symbol on there logo. Sun and Moon on the other hand have a weird crystal that resembles a revive. This could indicate that the new games will expand on mega evolution, maybe even introducing a slightly different kind.

X & Y have explored the side of mega evolution that is related to the sundial. It doesn't sound far fetched to speculate that the new region will have the moon dial which will trigger some sort of mega evolution. Especially given how it seems to be closely related to Kalos.

From a competitive standpoint a new kind of mega would be good thing. it would allow Game Freak to carry on the concept (which is a brilliant idea since it allows the introduction of new Pokemon without bursting the pokedex and while providing fan service and giving some forgotten Mons a new life) and also bypass the one mega limit (which would get even more ridiculous as more Megas come along) without making it broken since they could make it so that players could use 1 mega from 6th gen ( sundial related) and 1 from seventh gen ( moondial related).

Since I buy into the whole " Sun and Moon is the new golden and silver" idea I'm gonna call it now: inb4 ( some sort of) mega Johto starters.

I also think that Sun and Moon expand on Kalos in a similar way to how gold and silver did on red and blue. Many indicators have already been pointed out ( 1st gen Megas, Santalune forest being just like Viridian forest and even the red and blue X & Y logos giving 6th generation main games quite a red and blue vibe, kalos not only being incomplete but also hinting more than once to the new region. As if this weren't enough, the fact that zygarde - a kalos legendary - new form can only be used on the new games ( I can't see it as being an anime only thing, so it has to play a role on Sun and Moon) pretty much establishes that the new game is closely linked to X & Y. Taking all of this into consideration, I expect Sun and Moon to be some sort of sequel to X & Y like gold and silver were to red and blue.

On another note, if I recall correctly the sundial has something to do with the ultimate weapon which was powered by xerneas/yveltal. The sundial is also related to mega evolution. And in X & Y we have, in addition to all the hints to a new region, also the mention of a moon dial. Info from the new movie confirmed that zygarde is also linked to mega evolution but that can only be exploited in a new game. X & Y have the mega evolution symbol on there logo. Sun and Moon on the other hand have a weird crystal that resembles a revive. This could indicate that the new games will expand on mega evolution, maybe even introducing a slightly different kind.

X & Y have explored the side of mega evolution that is related to the sundial. It doesn't sound far fetched to speculate that the new region will have the moon dial which will trigger some sort of mega evolution. Especially given how it seems to be closely related to Kalos.

From a competitive standpoint a new kind of mega would be good thing. it would allow Game Freak to carry on the concept (which is a brilliant idea since it allows the introduction of new Pokemon without bursting the pokedex and while providing fan service and giving some forgotten Mons a new life) and also bypass the one mega limit without making it broken since they could make it so that players could use 1 mega from 6th gen ( sundial related) and 1 from seventh gen ( moondial related).

Since I buy into the whole " Sun and Moon is the new golden and silver" idea I'm gonna call it now: inb4 ( some sort of) mega Johto starters.
I very very very highly doubt we'll get the ability to carry two Megas, even if they are of opposite polarity, for lack of a better term. It'd break the game much faster than MegaRay and Pdon broke VGC players minds.

That was like...so bad.

I think it was a stellar joke.

I'm trying to think of all the unique TM from RBY that weren't brought back in RSE or later (meaning you can't use them in the current games even after transferring your Pokemon up from gen 3). I may have missed some or listed the wrong ones due to all the various move tutors over the years but I think this is all of them:

Whirlwind, Razor Wind, Horn Drill, Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Pay Day, Submission, Mega Drain, Dragon Rage, Fissure, Teleport, Bide, Egg Bomb, Skull Bash,Tri Attack

Not a very good/large selection, but what do we have? If anything? Whirlwind Zapdos/Mew? Horn Drill Dragonite? As another user mentioned:
I am happy about Bubble Beam Articuno
Tri Attack Alakazam/Mewtwo/Clefable/Starmie?

Most notable thing (again another user mentioned this) would probably be Fissure Machamp if it's usable.
Nothing to worry here since there's a clause but since you can transfer Pokemon from Gen 1, that means No Guard Fissure Machamp is a thing. (Use an Ability Capsule if it has Guts) :o
Mind Reader/Fissure Poliwrath might be usable too (I used this in Pokemon Stadium 2). Smogon standard bans OHKO of course, but might be interesting for in game Battle Facility or random WiFi shenanigans.

Reactions: JES
I very very very highly doubt we'll get the ability to carry two Megas, even if they are of opposite polarity, for lack of a better term. It'd break the game much faster than MegaRay and Pdon broke VGC players minds.
If they are going to introduce new Megas then this should be something to consider. I know that Nintendo's decisions doesn't take smogon's tiers into account, but given that Megas are usually decent, if they introduce around 50 new ones as they did in the current generation, we could have something like half of the higher tiers made up of Megas which would be quite frankly ridiculous if we could only use one of them per team.

Maybe the usual battle spot/ VGC player won't feel that as much since it's normal for them to run more than 1 mega anyway, so as far as official formats are concerned it may be not as necessary. But from a 6 vs 6 singles perspective, I think it would be healthy, especially since we can just ban broken Megas or broken Megas combinations. Not to mention that, should there be a moon dial, it would totally make sense.

Yes. Kalos is unfinished, we have two event mons and the Zygarde formes that have never seem the light of a game, and there has never been a region that was not visited twice in its generation of introduction. So yes, I do believe they have no business leaving us with XY alone.
We only have one event 'mon (Magearna isn't a Generation VI Pokémon as it is nowhere in the code for XYORAS). Also, considering how lately Game Freak will specifically not do something just because it is expected (we didn't get a true third version last Generation and they waited to remake Ruby and Sapphire), we can't always claim tradition.
Sumo (I'm calling Sun/Moon that
Nice nickname for it. It's better than people saying S&M.
Adding to this, remember what the great addition to the game was when Gold & Silver debuted? Night & day! Lugia and Ho-Oh were both represented primarily in the night and day.

Plus, a "continuation-new generation" is what Johto was to Kanto. A lot of Johto Pokemon were originally designed along the original 151.

The story wasn't meaty, like Kanto's.

AND, you have a train & power plant in Kalos.
That is a good point. Sun and Moon could be like Gold and Silver to X and Y along with being a bit like Black 2 and White 2 as well. Would be interesting and different.
On this line, it could be based on Spain, which is right next to France (Kalos), and does have resort areas on the Mediterranean and that one building looks like a resort hotel to me.

Anyway, let's talk consoles. Mid-generation console-hopping is bad business, so: do they feel the 3DS has the lifespan to fit two entire generations (remember, we need a third version/sequels/remakes), or has the NX been delayed for some reason?
It could be that they are worried about how successful the NX could be and want to wait to make sure it is a hit before putting their big guy on it (similar to what I think happened with Black and White). And to quote a fellow Sith Lord:
We know NOTHING about what even the NX is. It may not even BE a handheld for all we know.
And if Sun and Moon started development at a similar time as X and Y did, the NX didn't even exist, so it is hard to develop a game for a system that is still in development at best,
Also, I'm happy it is on the 3DS since I have two and I can do what I did when Black and White came out: buy both so I can have a main copy and a secondary copy for resets/trade evolutions.
I think the blank spaces near the N in Pokémon is where the trademark symbol will go in the final version.
Called it.

Last edited:
Really disappointed it isn't Z. I enjoyed XY for what it was but I was hoping they would expand the region to include all of the side stuff I love, like Frontier or Join Avenue. I felt like BW2 did a particulary excellent job at expanding a previously existing region. And Sun/Moon being the first pair of the generation will probably lack all of those as usual...

You're forgetting Floette-E, whose existence as an event remain unaccounted for.
Oh yeah...I always forget about it. Well, there is still the rest of the year.
in the battle between the Sun and the Moon which side will you pick?

While others praise the sun, I inform those about their terrible fates...

Side note: it was oddly easy getting rid of the actual Moon symbol.

Last edited:

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I'm surprised no one's said this, but I'm glad that Sun and Moon are Gen 7 instead of the third versions of X and Y just because I want to see the Legends that go with those names.

For the sake of diving into internet stupidity, #TeamMoon #UnlessSunHasACoolerLegend I stay inside all the time because the sun is too bright for me and any NPC who's faced me in The Battle Mansion will agree that the sun is painful.

While others praise the sun, I inform those about their terrible fates...

Side note: it was oddly easy getting rid of the actual Moon symbol.
Mega Lunatone leaked.

I agree with many here in thinking that it'll be a G/S and B2W2 hybrid. A sequel to continue the lore of a previous entry, but expanding the world and able to go to at least one more region.

I think an extra region would settle nerves if there's no Battle Frontier. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a new version of it.

Ohmachi

Sun✡Head
I'm surprised no one's said this, but I'm glad that Sun and Moon are Gen 7 instead of the third versions of X and Y just because I want to see the Legends that go with those names.

For the sake of diving into internet stupidity, #TeamMoon #UnlessSunHasACoolerLegend I stay inside all the time because the sun is too bright for me and any NPC who's faced me in The Battle Mansion will agree that the sun is painful.
if the Sun is too bright the there is always the Villains salt mine

The sun and the moon can work in harmony, y'know. I used a Charizard Y / CM Cresselia core to great success back in VGC 2015. I'm just going to buy whichever one has a cooler box legend.

My actual opinion so that this isn't a shitpost: There is no way that Sun/Moon isn't connected to XY. There are just too many loose ends: The ghost girl, the unused train tracks, the Power Plant, Volcanion, Floette-E, etc. If I were to hazard a guess at this point, I'd say that in the Sun/Moon postgame, you can hitch a ride on a train that connects to the unused station in Kalos.

The sun and the moon can work in harmony, y'know. I used a Charizard Y / CM Cresselia core to great success back in VGC 2015. I'm just going to buy whichever one has a cooler box legend.

My actual opinion so that this isn't a shitpost: There is no way that Sun/Moon isn't connected to XY. There are just too many loose ends: The ghost girl, the unused train tracks, the Power Plant, Volcanion, Floette-E, etc. If I were to hazard a guess at this point, I'd say that in the Sun/Moon postgame, you can hitch a ride on a train that connects to the unused station in Kalos.
Okay, I understand just about every other point here, but the one I'm having a really hard time understanding - and this applies to a lot of people - is that somehow the Ghost Girl having no explanation is evidence?
Like... does no-one have an understanding of just being shown something and interpreting their own meaning and theory about it? That thing that many fictional works do? That thing that Pokémon itself has done a lot of times in the past?
Things in XY that need to be tied up like Zygarde and Floette are obvious; those are actual real forms in the game's coding some of which are being advertised to great lengths. The ghost girl is not one of those. It is not a focus of anything and is likely just something inserted as an easter egg to get people to theorize about. Why is it being treated as a thing that needs to have a conclusion as if it had a tangible story told to you attached to it to begin with?

Okay, I understand just about every other point here, but the one I'm having a really hard time understanding - and this applies to a lot of people - is that somehow the Ghost Girl having no explanation is evidence?
Like... does no-one have an understanding of just being shown something and interpreting their own meaning and theory about it? That thing that many fictional works do? That thing that Pokémon itself has done a lot of times in the past?
Things in XY that need to be tied up like Zygarde and Floette are obvious; those are actual real forms in the game's coding some of which are being advertised to great lengths. The ghost girl is not one of those. It is not a focus of anything and is likely just something inserted as an easter egg to get people to theorize about. Why is it being treated as a thing that needs to have a conclusion as if it had a tangible story told to you attached to it to begin with?
So... you're suggesting that GameFreak just put the ghost girl in to troll the overanalytical portion of the fanbase? That would be... incredibly evil, but knowing TrollFreak, I can definitely see that as a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)