Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKIII *Official Media Only*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I preordered the Sun off of a place like amazon, will I be getting any of the preorder bonuses, or is that JUST for gamestop?

Ended up getting Moon. Why Moon? Well, you see uh

The game's most difficult question. Am I a boy or a girl? I am so sick and tired of the boy being so generic, I swore I'd be a girl. But the girl looks dumb. Ah well, picked the boy anyway and used my real name as I tend to. Maybe in the next Gen 7 game/possible remake I'll be the girl.

Kinda leaning towards Popplio, though if I picked Incineroar my planned team would end up being much better but I'm kinda meh towards its design.

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
Moon. Girl. And if my avatar and signature didn't tip it off, Popplio since I have been a water girl for a long time and honestly just love the whole line's design and aesthetic. Just need to wait another 12-16 hours before I can get my game since my area is usually the last on UPS' priorities but I will be pretty much sinking into Alola for the rest of the day (or night, given the time spacing). If I had better WiFi and the SD card, would have preloaded Moon ages ago, but what's another half day to me?

Will see you there in Alola! I will probably be neck deep in the nearest fashion store available to really focus on the trials though.

SO, getting back on track. Being some of us will be getting the game in just a few hours, there's no more stalling. YOU MUST CHOOSE NOW:

Sun or Moon?

Rowlet, Litten, or Popplio?

And I also guess Boy or Girl?

#TeamMoon #TeamLitten #I'mABoy
EUROPE NOOOO

Pokemon Moon - Lunaala is far better than Solgaleo.
Rowlet - This thing is literally adorable and I love Archers in general so picking any other line would be out of place for me.
I read somewhere that you get a bonus for pre-ordering the digital version of the game. Is that true? If so, how can I get it?
It's 12 Quick Balls and it's just pre-download (I think).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
UB-04 Slash and and UB-04 Blaster revealed.
So we got:
UB-01 ????
UB-02 Expansion
UB-02 Beauty
UB-03 Lightning
UB-04 Slash
UB-04 Blaster
UB-05 Glutton
The gang is all here.

EUROPE NOOOO

Pokemon Moon - Lunaala is far better than Solgaleo.
Rowlet - This thing is literally adorable and I love Archers in general so picking any other line would be out of place for me.

It's 12 Quick Balls and it's just pre-download (I think).
I predownloaded but didn't get any bonus, and it's not even in the receipt as usually is. I'll check mystery gift.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So since Sun & Moon is now out, can we talk about our game experience here? If not move this post to where its suppose to go.

After hours of playing Sun & Moon I have finally finished Melemele Island. I'm not off it yet, but one trip to the Marian will fix that. Here are my thoughts as I played through the game, I don't really go over plot details though I may comment on them.

1. We start off the game very nicely. First is the "Welcome to the world of Pokemon" intro but it's different this time around. Kukui is giving a player a video message on their computer preparing the player for their arrival in Alola, a refreshing take on that intro idea. But then things are cranked to 11 when we get a cutscene of Lillie trying to escape the Aether Paradise with Cosmog, looking cornered at one point until Cosmog uses Teleport. And then its revealed this happened three months ago. Still, it was an awesome scene to get you pumped for what's to come, similar to BW's "crowning of King N" cutscene.

2. So let's follow that with my first complaint: getting the Starter Pokemon. It's in a middle of a long cutscene, so if you want to soft reset for a good Starter nature each attempt will take 4-5 minutes. Eventually I just settled for a Starter with one of the neutral Natures (Serious, which I felt matched Litten's design). Seriously though, GF why? Did you not hear how annoyed everyone was when you did it with Rayquaza? Now you're doing it with the Starters, our first Pokemon in the game! There was no reason to not at least let us save before we made the choice. Was this purposely done because they didn't want people to soft reset their Starter? Well job well done, of course that means many player's dream of making their ingame team viable now that they can increase IVs is mostly not going to apply for their Starter. Well done.

3. Remember when we talked about the game making money not an issue? Well when you start the game you have 5k and then when the story gets going your mother I think gives you another 30k! Geez, and that's on top of the items you get from the demo to sell!

4. I have slept (or at least lied down) in the beds of our mother, Lillie's, and Ilima's. Also sitting still exists but its only for the most prestigious of thrones: Hala's. I have made it a side adjective to sleep and sit in all the important NPCs beds and thrones, a Champion needs to mark their territory after all.

5. BTW, in Kukui's lab there is the Rotom appliances. Not only that, in the mall Hau'oli Mall the boutique there will give you a Gracidea flower (no Shaymin needed, though the clerk will tell you a certain Pokemon will react to it) and there's an antique shop selling the Spacetime Orbs and Colored Orbs for 10k a piece.

6. Team Skull are the best. So far you only mess with the grunts and the game treats them with no respect at all, it's hilarious. Of course I hadn't run in Guzma, Plumeria, or Gladion yet and they may bring some menace, but for now we have everyone pretty much treating the grunts like they aren't a threat... and they are correct. But I have to give them points for their Berry pun skills.

7. BTW, apparently you can transfer Ash-Greninja and the items in the demo to the main game in all one go, there's no having to wait a day like with the ORAS demo. So now I have a full wallet, Ash-Greninja with a Naive Nature in my PC, and also in my party is the Hold Back/Happy Hour Munchlax (with either an Impish or Careful Nature).

8. In the Trainer School there was a Youngster Joey!... who uses a Metapod. BOO! There's a Youngster on Route 1 who uses an Alolan Rattata they named Jimmy! name that one Joey!
Though, not surprising, the game has a few callbacks to Gen I. Can't think of many right now but one that got a chuckle from me was that in the mall there's a female NPC who will joke that there's no secret lever behind some movie posters.

9. So funny story on Route 2! If you have the event Munchlax, don't send it out against a Beauty who has a Gastly (she's the first trainer on the route). Why? Because her Gastly has Mean Look, Spite, Lick, and Hypnosis. Munchlax comes with Happy Hour, Hold Back, Metronome, and Tackle. If she Mean Looks the Munchlax, either restart from the last save or prepare for the longest do nothing battle since Metapod Vs Metapod. I did the latter. Now I tried desperately using Metronome to do a damaging elemental move but no dice, it did Telekinesis and Stealth Rocks before Gastly got rid of most of it with Spite and Hypnosis. So the rest of the battle was seeing who would run out of moves first. Her constantly putting Munchlax to sleep I think is what doomed her as she ran out of moves first and knocked her Gastly out with Struggle.

10. Also, Abra and Kadabra are completely useless, at least up to Level 18. I caught an Abra in Hau'oli City and switched out/Exp. Shared it to level 16. Previously upon evolving to Kadabra it would learn Confusion thus becoming useful. They changed it so that it learned Kinesis instead. And when it reached level 18, it gets Disable. At that point I decided to go with another Pokemon, because though there were Kadabra trades on the GTS there were all level 16, I'm assuming from players who realized the same thing I did and trying to get rid of there's for hopefully one with a usable move.
BTW, Teleport no longer is a field move. Tried Teleporting to the last Pokemon Center but it didn't give me the option.

11. BTW if you're using Serebii's PokeEarth as a guide be careful, they don't mark spoilers concerning how certain items are obtained, trainer teams, and locations of certain notable Pokemon.

12. Ilima almost curbstomped my team, especially his Smeargle. Yes, his SMEARGLE. Totem Pokemon was also a bit of a challenge though that was partly because I was switching in Pokemon to get full experience. And yet Hala was a pushover, he could barely do anything to my Cutiefly which OHKOed his entire team with Draining Kiss (his Crabrawler uses the Fighting-type Z-Move on it and it at best only took off 20% of its health). And I wasn't that overleveled, at most I was one or two levels above if not equal.

13. Now to be fair it probably took me so long to beat the first island as I was catching all the Pokemon I could, getting every item, and general exploring and talking with each NPC. Call me obsessive compulsive if you must, but I was kept entertained the entire time (well, trying to find a certain Pokemon got a bit tedious but that's an old problem... I miss DexNav). I'm only missing Crabrawler which is a random chance when collecting Berries (Berries fall and gather around trees in Alola, making you wonder what's the point of having a Berry Fields if the player can't use it), Bagon which is a 1% encounter on the very end of Route 3 (yeah, patches of grass now have their own encounters instead of the entire route having the same encounters), and Hidden Items/items you get later (or I just missed getting).

14. Guess all there's left to talk about now is my team. I pretty much kept switching out my team as soon as I got a Pokemon I was more interested in training. As of right now my team is Torracat, Munchlax, Makuhita, Cutiefly, Magnemite, and Petilil. Previous notable members included Kadabra, Butterfree, Slowpoke, Pichu, and Pikipek. Originally I was going to use Grubbin but then I found out how it evolve and dumped it (yeah, Magnezone needs the same requirement but Magneton is still usable until then while Charjabug isn't, at least in offensive single battles), at first deciding to use Pichu as my Electric-type. But after realizing it'll evolve after reaching certain levels it would learn useful moves as a Pikachu I went with Magnemite. Yes, I'm preparing for the Totem Wishiwashi fight, Petilil should also help there... oh, wait, nevermind, I just remembered you need a Sun Stone to evolve Petilil *sigh*. Well, I guess it'll just be the next Pokemon out of my team rotation (maybe replace it with a Bounsweet).

Next time: Akala Island

The Rotom Dex thing is so profoundly horrible. There aren't words strong enough to condemn it adequately.
Rotom Dex is good, actually

e: To be more specific I enjoy:
-how cute it looks
-that it reacts when you tap its eyes
-it doesn't have a ton of personality since its mostly a "hey dont forget" device, but I like the bits it shows. The wild west "partner", calling Ilima a dreamboat, dont drop me im not waterproof, etc.
-it gets the photo ability and immediately takes a photo of all three of you and thats adorable
-the zzzts are endearing (but also, probabyl absolutely unbearable if actually said aloud so looking forward to the anime let me tell you)

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Rotom Dex Opinions:
Pro:
I like the map (though I wished it had a mini map for some locations).
Pro: I like Poke Finder.
Pro: Some of its dialogue can be funny.
Pro: Helps keep you on track with what you're doing.
Con: It feels it has to comment on EVERY event (at least it doesn't say "hey listen").
Con: What it's saying is sometimes hard to understand.
Con: If you want to use it but it started talking you have to wait until its done. Also if you enter/exit an area before it was finished it'll restart its dialogue.
Con: Can be a bit of a jerk. Telling us to hurry up, asking if we're done getting side tracked helping people, etc..
WTF: Seriously, this is a MAJOR breakthrough in Pokemon-human relations. You made a device that allows a Pokemon to talk! Proof Pokemon think on a human level, we can finally know what Pokemon think about humans and how we treat them... and all Kukui wants to do with this discovery is use it as a Pokedex and PA.

Rotom Dex is good, actually

e: To be more specific I enjoy:
-how cute it looks
-that it reacts when you tap its eyes
-it doesn't have a ton of personality since its mostly a "hey dont forget" device, but I like the bits it shows. The wild west "partner", calling Ilima a dreamboat, dont drop me im not waterproof, etc.
-it gets the photo ability and immediately takes a photo of all three of you and thats adorable
-the zzzts are endearing (but also, probabyl absolutely unbearable if actually said aloud so looking forward to the anime let me tell you)
I don't think there's any way to justify the fact that it talks at all, in the first place. The "personality" it shows is just lame/cringeworthy and the goddamn thing is constantly annoying you so it can hold your hand more. The games would be perfect if they just were without that thing and Z-Moves, which may, incredibly, be even lamer than anticipated.

I don't like it. If the map wasn't so bad I'd be okay with it. I still think the Black2/White2 dex is the best one we've had so far. It's personality is what you'd expect. Are Rotom even available in this game otherwise, and why doesn't it have a Rotom entry unlocked by default

Also, I've been trying to catch at least one of everything that appears and it is a massive pain in the ass because "... called for help!" Totem bosses doing that is one thing, but spending forever trying to catch one little Caterpie without overkilling it is frustrating.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Rotom Dex having the map on the bottom screen is cool in theory but kind of shitty in practice. The inclusion of a waypoint is kind of compromised by the fact you have to find the damn thing sometimes, as Rotom doesn't point you in the right direction if it's off the area of the map that's visible on the bottom screen (unless it does and I missed it). The map's picture resolution is also pixelated when zoomed in.

Last edited:
If this is the wrong place to post something like this, I apologize. I'm new to the forum.

'Pokémon Sun And Moon' May Get An Updated Version Called 'Pokémon Stars' For The Nintendo Switch

I mean, to me it's not as surprising as it may be to others. There's been tons of speculation about 'Pokemon Stars' for quite some time.

According to Eurogamer, as well as other sources, the game has been in development alongside Sun and Moon. As the development of Sun and Moon wrapped up, the work on Stars was apparently postponed but since the game’s recent release, the development of Stars has resumed.

Source:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieba...n-stars-for-the-nintendo-switch/#498546702a44

With all due respect, considering Pokemon is a game that mostly caters to the younger generation, I could understand why they went with Stars over Eclipse. Then again, I don't see how the name would imply such a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)