Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

1. I really wanted to use a rain team that has something interesting added to it, and I was looking at the lists of swift swimmers, then I noticed Golduck has the same speed and special attack as Kingdra, and it has access to Calm Mind, which means it can switch moves after setting up unlike Kingdra which has to rely on Specs. I chose Normalium Z because with +1 Z Hyper beam it can dent/kill a lot of mons which resist its STAB and doesn't die to Ice Beam such as Tapu Fini, Tapu Bulu, and Greninija. I used Surf as its water stab because I don't like to miss Hydro Pumps, and then Psychic as its last move because it hits Toxipex, Keldeo and such. For the EVs it's just max speed and special attack, Timid nature for outspeeding scarf Greninija, modest scarf Tapu Koko, and opposing Kingdras.

2. And obviously with rain team, Pelliper is the goto choice for the Drizzle user, I like max def because it walls many physical threats such as Swampert and Exadrill, it also lives Rockium Z from Garchomp most of the time. Moves are pretty standard, U-turn for momentum, Scald for hitting most things and burning them, Defog to remove hazards, Roost for longevity and walling physical attackers.

3. Mega Swampert is also a goto choice for my rain team, It provides strong physical attacks which Golduck doesn't, it's also a Stealth Rock user has pretty good coverage. Waterfall and Earthquake for STAB, Stealth Rock, and last move I chose Superpower instead of Ice Punch because Waterfall in the rain pretty much hits everything that Ice Punch hits, and Superpower can hit Ferrothorn, Kartana, and picks off defensive Rotom-Wash at 30% so it doesn't proc its berry. Standard max attack and max speed with Adamant nature for maximum power, as I never felt like needing the speed to use Jolly.

4. I then wanted something to check scarf Kartana, and some other grass types such as tapu bulu, and tangrowth, so I chose Scarf Tornadus for the job, I also really like the feeling of 100% accurate Hurricanes, and then I use U-turn for momentum, Superpower to hit Greninja and sometimes Tyranitar, Exadrill, and other steel and rock types. Knock Off for knocking off items in general. Naive nature because it's Tornadus usually only take physical attacks anyway, and 3 of my moves are physical, so I could get more damage out of them with this nature. As for the EVs, max special attack, 192 speed is for outspeeding scarf Serperior, and the rest is put into attack for more power.

5. At this point I noticed I was pretty weak Hawlucha, usually I would use Zapdos, However I didn't want to add another rock weakness to the team, I also could choose Rotom-Wash, However it doesn't take +2 High Jump Kicks very well, even with max defense, it just barely lives, and at that point, volt switch doesn't even kill Hawlucha. So I chose regular Rotom for the job. With the EV spreads, it gerentee lives two +2 High Jump kicks after Stealth Rocks and Leftovers, and with a Modest nature + Thunder, it always OHKO's +1 Spdef Hawlucha (Psychic Seed varient) after Stealth Rocks. The rest of the EVs is just put into Spdef to be a bit more tankier. The other moves are pretty standard, Will-O-Wisp and Hex for some STAB burst damage, and Pain Split for some longevity if it has to take some hits before Hawlucha comes out.

6. Last but not least, a pretty standard banded Kartana, it is for some wall breaking power to go against mons such as Chansey and Toxipex. Just a very strong breaker in general, giving the team a chance again stall. It's also another rock resist, which the team was pretty weak against, and in the rain, it can actually take some physical fire type attacks. Standard max speed max attack Timid nature with 4 attacks.

Conclusion:
After testing around the 1600, I noticed the team pretty much auto loses against Trick Room, which I didn't really mind as it's not the majority of my games. Other than that, it has a decent shot against most teams. Things I find problematic are Tangrowth if the opponent plays it smartly, and surprisingly speed boosting Blacephalon. If the team needs changing I really want to keep Golduck as it's kind of the reason why I built this team in the first place. Other than that, feel free to rate my team and give some suggestions.

I've ran the ducc a few times in gen 6 OU, what I found was that its only real niche over Kingdra was access to Encore, that lets it set up on various defensive mons and break the stall matchup. This lets you run Waterium Z Pump or LO for better damage potential. (Seriously Breakneck Blitz does less damage than a neutral pump in rain.)

As for Bulu/Fini:
+1 252 SpA Golduck Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 40+ SpD Tapu Fini: 185-218 (53.9 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

You can break offensive Bulu on a roll but any bulk or an AV kills you.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of scarf Torn. You could do everything that set can do with an AV while still outspeeding SD Kart. You can outspeed and kill scarf kart with the ducc.

I've ran the ducc a few times in gen 6 OU, what I found was that its only real niche over Kingdra was access to Encore, that lets it set up on various defensive mons and break the stall matchup. This lets you run Waterium Z Pump or LO for better damage potential. (Seriously Breakneck Blitz does less damage than a neutral pump in rain.)

As for Bulu/Fini:
+1 252 SpA Golduck Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 40+ SpD Tapu Fini: 185-218 (53.9 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

You can break offensive Bulu on a roll but any bulk or an AV kills you.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of scarf Torn. You could do everything that set can do with an AV while still outspeeding SD Kart. You can outspeed and kill scarf kart with the ducc.
I tested a bit more and I do agree that LO is a bit more consistent, but encore never really works for me, as people's switch-ins to golduck are usually grass types who just attack you, i now just run CM, Surf, Ice beam, HP poison (I think +1 almost always OHKO spdef Bulu).

AV Torn actually worked very well for me, though I kind of still needed to use naive nature to have a better chance at killing Ttar with super power, which in theory shouldn't work with AV.

Thanks for the suggestions.

hey there, i've actually been running a golduck rain team too and it's been doing pretty well so I'll share the set. I've been running modest as it still outspeeds 110 scarfers. Then for moves i've been using focus blast + fightinum for ferrothorn, psyshock for pex as it generally runs SPDEF and hydro pump, but surf works as well. I also recommend qwilfish as it is a great rain switch-in to tapu fini and an offensive check to tapu bulu

This is my new team, I gave golduck HP poison and Ice beam as I value damage on Fini, Bulu, and Tangrowth. I chose not to run focus blast because I have a relatively easy time switching into ferrothorn with Kart and Torn.

Golduck @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hidden Power [Poison]
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Calm Mind

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower
- Waterfall

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 192 Atk / 64 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Rotom @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder
- Hex

Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Giga Impact
- Smart Strike

Hi, interesting team, never thought that Golduck had something else to offer that Kingdra didn't already.
I would suggest not running Giga Impact on Kartana unless you give it normalium-Z + Swords dance. Using it alongside Choice Band will basically give your opponent a free turn to do anything that could turn the battle in their favor, like setting up dragon dance or something. Also, give it Sacred Sword over Smart Strike, since Kartana STABs just suck, and you need something to touch steel types. And no, Kartana can't really take physical fire type attacks, not even in rain (252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kartana in Rain: 400-472 (154.4 - 182.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO) so don't count on that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)