Hi there Rarely Used

Hey all -
This team has fared decently for me on the RU ladder under various alts, but I feel like I can make it much better. And so, without further ado:

Steelix @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
Ladies and gentlemen, Steelix. The massive snake has consistently fallen through the tiers since its introduction in GSC, but is very comfortable here in RU. This big boy can take pretty much any physical attack you may think to throw at it, avoiding a 2HKO from the likes of Choice Scarf Primeape and Choice Band Archeops. Stealth Rock is a must-have for pretty much any team, and Steelix can provide that for me. Earthquake and Gyro Ball provide twin STABs, and with Steelix's lack of speed, Gyro Ball does insane amounts of damage. I chose to go with Dragon Tail over Roar because I wanted to be able to phase through Taunts, but I may rethink that, as Pokemon that set up Substitute can be very, very annoying, and Dragon Tail has a slight chance of missing. Steelix is my lead a good 85% of the time, and it's pretty damn good at its job, laying down Rocks well against any and all non-taunters.

Hariyama @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 SDef
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Stone Edge
- Payback
Everyone's favorite sumo wrestler boasts a massive 144 base HP stat, which, despite his mediocre defenses, provides him with excellent bulk. Thick Fat allows me to get more or less free switch-ins on Fire- and Ice-type moves, basically giving me resistances to two extra types. Hariyama can easily find somewhere to switch in and set up a Substitute, and with a Sub up, he can use one of the game's most powerful moves: the 150 BP Focus Punch. Payback gives Hariyama nearly perfect coverage with his STAB Focus Punch, in addition to hitting Psychic-types hard, while Stone Edge can do the same for Fliers. Despite all this, I find myself somewhat disappointed in Hariyama. He's quite powerful, but not nearly as bulky as he seems, and his incredibly low speed never helps. I've been considering replacing Hariyama, but I'm not at all certain as to what his replacement should be.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
Kabutops, one of the original fossils. Kabutops' 115 base Attack puts him among the stronger attackers in RU, and he has two very good offensive STABs in Water and Rock. Swords Dance boosts Kabutops' Speed to insane levels, and there's not much in RU that can eat a +2 Waterfall or Stone Edge. This is especially welcome on a Rapid Spinner, because ghost-types will be wary of coming in on it. Rapid Spin is essential support for Entei, as without it, Entei would be limited to 3 or 4 switch-ins, before counting Flare Blitz recoil. Therefore, Spinning away Rocks are necessary for this team to function. Kabutops, however, is not without his problems either. His 80 base Speed is decent, but he is outsped by many Pokemon that can OHKO him - the likes of Hitmonlee, Sceptile, and Primeape, among others. Kabutops is only here, actually, because my hand was forced in a way. When I added Kabutops, I already had 5 Pokemon, but I still needed a Rapid Spinner, and a Water-type to fill out my F/W/G core. Kabutops was the only Pokemon that fit both descriptions. If I decide to get rid of Hariyama, I can do a double switch, replacing Hariyama and Kabutops with a Water-type and a Rapid Spinner.

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Tangrowth is another big, slow, bulky Pokemon. In fact, Tangrowth may be the biggest, slowest, bulkiest Pokemon in RU. Due to getting Regenerator through the Dream World, it can switch in and out many times without worrying too much about residual damage. Sleep Powder can neutralize many a threat, and Leech Seed is great for soaking in opponents' health. When it comes to Physical attacks, nothing beats Tangrowth. Even Choice Band Entei is not guaranteed a OHKO with Flare Blitz, and I can Sleep Powder threats like that to force switches. Even if Tangrowth is forced out, it's fine, because Regenerator will restore 1/3 of its health. One problem is its incapability to take Special attacks, but that's what other Pokemon exist for.

Entei @ Choice Band
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Grass]
Entei is one of those Pokemon that has historically looked so much better than it really was. Well, in RU, it's finally as good as it looks. With a Choice Band to boost its Attack to massive heights, Entei and its STAB Flare Blitz can rip through anything that doesn't resist. For Pokemon that outspeed it, or when I just don't want recoil, there's Extremespeed, and Stone Edge and Hidden Power provide coverage, although they are rarely used. The fact that I need an Adamant nature is unfortunate, but I can still outrun the Rotom appliances. Once its counters are removed, Entei can rip through a team with either Flare Blitz or Extremespeed. It's great both as a late-game sweeper and as a revenge killer.

Rotom @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Pain Split
Rotom is great. Its odd speed allows it to outspeed the likes of Klingklang and Moltres, as well as the omnipresent Hitmonlee. Substitute allows me to scout for status moves or Sucker Punch, and Pain Split is great for both healing me, and damaging the opponent. Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball are two excellent STABs - both are powerful moves with good types. Rotom may seem out of place on a team filled with bulky Pokemon, but it manages to stay alive surprisingly long. I often use it late-game to clean up - it doesn't have enough power to sweep on its own, but once everything has been weakened a few notches, Rotom can rip right through them. Rotom can easily force switches due to its unpredictability, which will allow me to set up a Substitute, and once Rotom's behind a Sub, it's nigh unstoppable.

Like I say in the Hariyama and Kabutops sections, I'm definitely looking to replace both of them. If I do I'd need two pokemon who, between them, provide me with Rapid Spin support and a Water-type.​

Solid team you have here!
I'm not the best at advice (first time giving it), however I do notice you could use some help.
Replace Kabutops with Slowking. Not only is it a better water type for your team, it gives a much needed special wall vs the fire types that might harass your team. And while it isn't speedy, it makes up for it in bulk.
It will work quite well with Tangrowth as well, if you wish.

I think Hariyama should be replaced by Hitmonchan, who is bulky and can rapid spin. He also has nice bulk and has good recovery in Drain Punch. Foresight prevents Ghosts from ruining your day. However, Foresight can be replaced by your missed Stone Edge since Cofagrigus is UU now. Or maybe Mach Punch to clean up potential problems. Whatever floats your boat.

As another note, there might be a bit of an overlap in roles when it comes to Steelix and Tangrowth, both physical walls. May I suggest Tangrowthto Sceptile? I'm suggesting it mainly since Sceptile has nice speed to better abuse a leech seed set than Tangrowth, plus Steelix is a physical wall. However it's only a suggestion since Tangrowth can really tank hits well and makes for a nice combo with a specially defensive and regenerator Slowking.

Slowking > Kabutops
Hitmonchan > Hariyama

OPTIONAL:
Sceptile > Tangrowth

Slowking @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SDef
Calm Nature
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Surf
- Psychic

Hitmonchan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight / Stone Edge / Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Sceptile @ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SAtk / 196 Spd
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Hope I helped!

Slowking is definitely worth considering as a replacement for Kabutops, but keep in mind that the Tangrowth/Slowking defensive core does share a weakness to bug and many special attackers can threaten both. You could swap Kabutops and Tangrowth for specially defensive Ludicolo. It has good defensive synergy with Steelix and leaves you an extra slot. I would also give it Rain Dish to increase its walling potential should you encounter the odd rain dance team.

The main disadvantage is losing sleep powder, so I would also swap Life Orb & Pain Split on Rotom for Leftovers & T-Wave, which, by the way, would be a huge asset to Hariyama.

Speaking of whom, I wouldn't give up on him just yet. Thick Fat is a bit redundant with a Fire/Water/Grass core, but Guts Hariyama might be exactly what you need. I've had great success with Fake Out/Bullet Punch/Close Combat. The fourth move is somewhat filler, but Hariyama's movepool is great for patching up offensive gaps on your team, and depending on the move you pick can allow you to slam many common switch-ins. The double priority compensates for Hariyama's low speed, and with paralyze support he can even pull off a sweep with his insanely powerful CC. If you give him a status orb, he's a fantastic counter to blindingly obvious leads such as Lilligant, focus sash Aerodactyl, Crustle, Smeargle, and even Uxie if you have Payback, all of which can either set up on or otherwise counter Steelix. On the other hand, if you give him Leftovers you can bluff having Thick Fat to scare away dangerous choiced sweepers, switch into Will-o-wisp/Toxic/Toxic Spikes/Scald (and Glare if necessary), and possibly put yourself in a very advantageous mid to late-game position. Both are good, it really comes down to preference and what kind of teams you tend to face.

For the last slot, instead of a spinner, consider adding a Poison type to absorb toxic spikes, some form of wish support, or something that resists or evades ground moves. I'd probably go with Nidoqueen in this case, but there are quite a few options and I'm not totally sure what to recommend.

tl;dr here's my suggested set changes:
Hariyama @ Toxic Orb/Leftovers
Adamant Nature
EVs: same as before
Ability: Guts
-Fake Out
-Bullet Punch
-Close Combat
-Payback/Ice Punch

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
EVs: 252hp, 4spA, 252sDef
Abiltiy: Rain Dish
-Leech Seed
-Scald
-Giga Drain
-Ice Beam/Toxic

Rotom @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
EVs: 4hp, 252spA, 252spd
-Substitute
-Thunder Wave
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)