SM NU Hippo Sand Team

Hey all so I've been experimenting a bit with a sand team for NU here's the complete team with descriptions below: Sandy Bois
hippo.jpg
hip boi (Hippopotas) (M) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind

So this little guy sets up the sandstorm. He can also set up stealth rock and will whirlwind pokemon who think they can set up on him. He has decent physical bulk which is good for switching him in to get the sandstorm back up and running. He hates getting knocked off and any special attacks of any kind. Overall I've been happy using him since the primary sand setter Gigalith got bumped out of NU. Most of the time he is just there to set the sand storm up and late game he can give one of my other pokemon a free switch in.

stoutland_by_otiakaito-d9ud6sc.png
good boi (Stoutland) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Facade

Stoutland with sand rush and 72 spe EVs will outspeed base 80 scarf pokemon like passimian. Though he can't ohko passimian unless he's weakened, I experimented with psychic fangs on this set but didnt find it very useful especially since thats not a ohko either. Maxed attack evs and adamant nature for max damage and the rest dumped into defense for added bulk. His stab return ohkos any non bulky pokemon and 2hkos most bulky ones that don't resist it. Pursuit is to punish any pokemon trying to flee. Superpower will 2hko steelix and facade is for if he gets burned.

delphox_by_zorb_dude-d6t1b7z.png
foxy boi (Delphox) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 28 SpA / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Mystical Fire
- Toxic

This is the bulky wish passing delphox set. It has enough speed evs to outspeed mega glailie. It's bulk allows it to switch into special attackers. Wish allows him to recover and is useful to use after forcing a switch. He is also great for bolstering my pokemon back up if they took some damage. He can check comfey and prevent them from setting up with the SpA drop from mystical fire. He also serves as a good check to Vileplume, especially since he has low attack so plume can't fully benefit from strength sap. Toxic is to wear opponents down and protect is good for letting the toxic build up before switching out and scouting out choice locked pokemon's moves.

sandslash_by_starwberrie-d7sfa62.jpg
spikey boi (Sandslash) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

This boi is my sweeper, once he gets set up with a swords dance the other team needs some fancy footwork to stop him. his ground z-move allows him to OHKO bulky waters like Blastoise, Vaporeon and Slowbro Slowking, who would be common checks. It is important though that he has a sword's dance under his belt otherwise his performance is lackluster, 2hko-ing most pokemon with EQ but taking a lot of damage in return. He is very frail especially to special attackers and water types can generally knock him out with a scald. Stone edge gives him coverage to hit flying types on the switch in like Xatu, Golbat and Sigilyph and knock off hits Xatu and Sigilyph especially hard.

braviary_by_raizy-d4btew8.png
brave boi (Braviary) @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird
- Roost

This is the pokemon I am least sure of and open to changing. He's been great for checking fighting types like Hariyama and Passimian and can OHKO them after a BU. However he is still kinda frail, can get walled easily and as a defogger, gets pretty messed up from losing a 1/4 of health on switch in. Roost is to add survivability and bulk up allows him to set up and sweep late game.

slowking_by_imgoingtothemoon.png
king boi @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
This spot used to have a slowbro, now it is a special attacking slowking. This guy is quite bulky and can hit pretty hard. He 2HKOs even SpD steelix with scald and serves as a good check to Passimian if you switch in on Close Combat. Fire Blast is to hit pure steel types and grass pokemon, psyshock is for fighting types and Grass Knot is for bulky waters. Regenerator is a beautiful ability that lets him stay in the game for a while. And Assault Vest helps add to his bulk.

Overall this team is fun to play with but I do get walled and stalled out some games. I've included a few recent replays including one where I get totally outplayed.

Any feedback is appreciated! even if it's that this team is dumb and I should get a real team, I've had some fun with this one and am just trying to improve it and learn some more, so thanks in advance.

bad loss

Win against a snow team

Sandslash sets up and sweeps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)