Gen 4 Hocus Pocus [UU]

[click the sprites for the importable]

I. Introduction

Hello everyone! I'm back with another RMT for my favorite tier, Generation 4 UnderUsed! The team features some of my favorite mons from the tier, such as Claydol and Clefable, so I think it's quite the cool team. It also plays pretty easily, but does have some minor issues. Besides the team itself, I'll be gone in Germany on a German-Class trip for 3 weeks starting July 3rd! I'm really hyped, although I'll miss hanging out with you guys! Also I meant to publish this yesterday so I could get another RMT in, but alas, I was tired, so I made it today. That being said, I won't be active for those 3 weeks on smogon, discord, or PS, so if I don't respond to your message, I'm not ignoring you. Anyways, I'll be doing a bunch of shout-outs below, so if I know you, check those out! Short boring intro out of the way, so let's get into the team!

II. Teambuilding Process

I originally started off with a core of Lead Drapion + Stallbreaker Mismagius. It seemed quite efficient in theory, with Drapion pursuiting other ghost types, such as opposing Mismagius, as well as setting Toxic Spikes to wear down Spiritomb. Mismagius checks Grounds and Fighting types due to it's ability and typing, respectively.

Primeape baits in ghost types to U-turn into Drapion to trap, but most importantly, it provides speed control and somewhat of a dark resist. Primeape can also annoy Venusaur, due to being immune to sleep, as well as having Ice Punch to dispatch it. As previously mentioned, U-turn is nice for scouting as well, and can be very crucial in figuring out the opponent's team.

Claydol helps the team out with actually switching into Rhyperior, as well as providing rocks and hazard control, which is crucial to basically any team at this point. However, Megahorn Rhyperior is still really annoying, but Claydol can stomach one at least. Claydol baits in Dark types that Primeape can abuse, except for Spiritomb (which is getting chipped by Tspikes+Chip anyways), which can burn it. Overall, Claydol is great here for several reasons.

Flying types mauled me at this point, as well as the annoying, probably broken rain. Kabutops provided a normal and flying resist, as well as a sweeper that could abuse opposing rain. Kabu can also SD on forced switches, or just nuke something with Edge, which is free because no Ground is coming in on a Kabutops (except torterra, which is why I said RELATIVELY). Overall, Kabutops acts as my main wincon most of the time and can also revenge kill with Aqua Jet.

Finally, I needed a wallbreaker that could lure the living crap out of basically anything in a game. I also appreciated a ghost immunity, so Drapion wasn't overworked. Clefable is amazing here, as well as in the tier in general. Being a mainly special attacker that can smack special walls for good damage is amazing, as well as Magic Guard preventing it from being worn down by hazards and status.

Now that the actual building was done, I looked it over w/ Donny, and he pointed out the lack of a water resist (which is a big nono in this tier considering things like Feraligatr and Azumaril exist), as well as toxic spikes being kinda bad (which I see now). That being said, we agreed on changing Drapion into Scarf Venusaur as the team's lead. While the generally loved Pursuit support is gone, having the water resist is even better, and sleep support is nice I guess.

Finally, having 2 scarfers is pointless, and I needed an actual Venusaur check, as well as having U-turn support is still appreciated for baiting out resists to abuse. Scyther is here now, doing just that, as well as forming a deadly SD core with Kabutops, as Scyther appreciates Kabutops removing Rock, Ground, Fire, and Steel types with it's deadly STAB Combination, and Scyther in return removes Grasses, namely Torterra and Venusaur, that give it issues. Thus, leading us to our current team.

III. In-Depth Look

Venusaur @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Leaf Storm
Sludge Bomb
Sleep Powder
Hidden Power [Ice]

Venusaur functions as the team's lead. Leaf Storm is insanely powerful, hitting anything really hard that doesn't resist it or is naturally bulky/highly invested in special defense. Sludge Bomb is Venusaur's other STAB attack that hits Grass types that would capitalize on a Leaf Storm, as well as hitting most things that Leaf Storm would not, such as Moltres. Sleep Powder puts something to sleep, which is especially easy to do, due to the choice scarf Venusaur is holding, allowing it to outrun a good portion of the metagame. This is why Venusaur is generally pretty good as a lead, at least with this set anyways. Having a Venusaur lead doesn't also give that much away about the rest of your team, like other leads such as Drapion or Uxie would. Finally, Hidden Power Ice lets Venusaur revenge kill +2 Adamant Rock Polish Torterra, +2 Bulky Dragon Dance Altaria, and +1 Offensive Dragon Dance Altaria.

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
Taunt
Will-O-Wisp
Shadow Ball
Pain Split

Mismagius acts as the team's stallbreaker. Taunt shuts down most stall teammates, preventing healing, wishpassing, status, phasing, etc. Will-O-Wisp lets Mismagius compensate for it's lackluster defense, as well as slowly chip everything down. Shadow Ball stills lets Mismagius retain some sort of offensive presence, while also not being walled by Taunt users. However, being that a Ghost attack is the only attack, Mismagius is generally walled by Normal types. Pain Split allows Mismagius to chunk Chansey with it's massive HP, as well as mainly recover HP. This Mismagius set tends to struggle with things like Blaziken more due to how semi-passive it is compared to other variants. However, that can be made up with other teammates, due to super effective priority, such as Water Jet. Overall, Mismagius patches up alot of the stall weakness, and overall is a great check to fighting types for the most part, and finally acts as a spinblocker, and a key part of this team.

Scyther @ Insect Plate
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Swords Dance
Aerial Ace
Brick Break
U-turn

Scyther acts as either a breaker or a late game cleaner. Swords Dance allows Scyther to have an easier time breaking through teams, due to doubling Scyther's attack. Aerial Ace allows Scyther to nail Flying, Fighting, Grass, and Bug types, such as the everpresent Venusaur and Blaziken. Brick Break allows Scyther to actually hit Rock and Steel types that would resisy it's STAB attacks, notably chipping Rhyperior, Registeel, and obliterating Aggron. U-turn is Scyther's other STAB, which also allows it to scout and pivot out of an unfavorable matchup, which is helpful due to Scyther luring in the likes of Steelix and Rhyperior, which Kabutops can abuse. Insect Plate gives U-turn a damage boost, allowing Scyther to do Choice-Band level damage. The key to this set is U-turning a lot early game to scout out checks and counters, which tricks your opponent into thinking it's banded, which you can then abuse something if it stays in on something like an Aerial Ace or a Brick Break, and Swords Dance up.

Claydol @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpA
Bold Nature
Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock
Earth Power
Psychic

Claydol is the team's Rocker and Spinner. Claydol also acts as the tean's main Rhyperior check, due to resisting Stone Edge, while also being immune to Earthquake. Rapid Spin allows Claydol to clear hazards from it's side of the field, which benefits my team, mainly Scyther, by removing Stealth Rocks, which would otherwise hinder it. Stealth Rocks allow my team to pressure the opposing team's members, while also gaining crucial chip that allows me to score KO's on things that they would not be able to do otherwise. Earth Power is one of Claydol's STABs on this set, hitting everything that would want to switch into Claydol for good damage. Psychic nails Venusaur, as well as the fighting types Claydol is supposed to be checking, such as Hitmontop or Blaziken, though it must watch out for a powerful fire attack. Personally, if you are struggling with Alakazam and other Psychics types alot more then usual when using this team, then I'd opt for Shadow Ball over Psychic, but this is not listed on the main build due to being walled by Swellow.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 56 HP / 140 Atk / 60 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Swords Dance
Stone Edge
Waterfall

Aqua Jet

Kabutops is the team's flying resist, as well as another wincon/breaker/cleaner. Swords Dance lets Kabutops double it's attack, making it alot scarier vs fatter teams. Stone Edge hits alot of things really hard, such as Moltres, Venusaur, Feraligatr, etc., especially with the critical hit chance, alongside the raw massive base power. Waterfall hits just about everything else that Stone Edge doesn't, missing out only on Torterra and fatter steels with it's STAB combination. Aqua Jet allows you to pick off weakened threats, letting Kabutops potentially act as a revenge killer in some scenarios, but it isn't consistent by any means, so I wouldn't recommend having Kabutops being the only thing you revenge kill with. The EV Spread allows you to take 2 powered-up Facade's from Guts Swellow after Stealth Rock Damage. This is important to have bulk wise due to Kabutops being the only Flying resist on the team. Other than that, the set is pretty standard. Having Swift Swim also lets you counteract rain with your own abuser.

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
Double-Edge
Fire Blast
Grass Knot
Soft-Boiled

Finally, in the last slot we have the team dedicated wallbreaker. Clefable in general is quite useful for softening things up for Kabutops/Scyther. The secret to Clefable's amazing power is it's amazing movepool and it's ability, Magic Guard, which prevents damage that isnt from a direct pokemon. This allows it to not be chipped by hazards, status, leech seed, etc. which is amazing for getting Clefable in to reak havoc. Getting into moves, Grass Knot chunks fat Rocks and Waters, and Fire Blast decimates Grasses and Steel types. Double Edge turns the tables on special walls and smacks them on their (probably) poor physical defense. Softboiled allows Clefable heal itself and check most ghosts consistently. This Clefable can also annoy Trick Room teams due to running a Quiet nature, allowing it to abuse the enemy trick room, and break the team with a combination of coverage and recovering its health. Overall, Clefable carries it's weight as a wallbreaker and as the final member of the team.

IV. Threat List

Psychics with Ghost Coverage are really annoying in general, but Sub Alakazam is the worst offender of them all. The only way to get around it is to try and pressure it into not subbing and abusing that, or wearing it down with hazards and such into range of Kabutop's Aqua Jet or into range of Venusaur. The goal here is to prevent the sub, because then it's probably game unless you can dodge a focus blast and break the sub.

Flyspam is stupid annoying for this team. It overworks Kabutops and claims my team from there. Your objective going into this is to keep rocks up, and keep their birds from getting free turns as much as possible. In a similar vein, Spikes+Moltres is a major threat to this team, due to Kabutops getting worn down quite fast. Best way to play around this is to try and keep spikes spun away and Moltres away due to Stealth Rocks being up.

V. Replays

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4uu-926129241
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4uu-926126774
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4uu-926128041
[will add more when I actually find people to play]

VI. Conclusion

Well this was certainly a pain of an RMT to make. I started on Tuesday, draft deleted itself yesterday, and tonight when I was writing this, my computer just decided to restart. So yea, a very stressful night, but here we are. The team is pretty fun, but has it's issues. Besides that, I don't think there's much else to say and do except some shoutouts. Anyways, hope you all enjoy using the team, and have a good 3 weeks without my annoying self!

Estarossa Twilight Scizorphobic Smallsmallrose Stoward BackAtYouBro don't tear the UU forums apart while I'm gone :)
Donphantastic ambi is broken
regirock big fan
Kink Hogg you both are chill people, sorry for being a menace on the forums sometimes
faded love we out here switching scizors into scalds
A Cake Wearing A Hat hope im not that bad of a co-host
Sage update the VR you nerd. thanks for being my friend for so long
Katy eat bees. also might see you in germany
vivalospride Amane Misa thanks for letting me build and being cool people. also viv update archives you nerd >:(
Hubriz Hallo, freund!
Decem junior year squad
Accelgor stop AFKing in the UU room nerd
TPP sup bro?
Ophion Egor OU is a bad place, join the UU gang
lyd good rates
JustoonSmitts thanks for the soon to be art! you're a cool dude and your work is dapper
Loom my boi out here being good at RU smh
MARCU5theBAW5 hows NU
@Everyone else sorry if I forgot you, its past 3am here, have a good 3 week vacation from my garbage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)