SM OU Hoopa, Keldeo BO (Peak 2013 / #2)

This is my first time posting having been around since BW. I've been using this team for a number of months now and I've got my highest ELO with it. It features some relatively uncommon choices such as double dance Landorus and Scarf Keldeo. Lets get into it.

Team:

Janemba (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Choice Band
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Fire Punch
- Knock Off

Hoopa functions as the team's main wallbreaker. Hyperspace Fury is easy to spam vs most teams for massive damage. Gunk Shot hits fairies, notably OHKOing Clefable and the Tapus. Fire Punch hits Mega Scizor which is otherwise probelmatic. Knock Off is chosen as the last move to improve my matchup vs stall and other bulky playstyles. Between Pokemon like Skarmory, Avalugg, Chansey and Pressure Zapdos it is often easy to PP stall 8 Hyperspace Furys, so having an extra dark STAB with added utility is valuable. Knock Off is also great for removing items from Pokemon such as Celesteela, Tangrowth, Gliscor, Zapdos, Ferrothorn, Landorus etc, assisting the rest of the team.
Safely getting Hoopa in is central to it's success. Using my teammates such as Keldeo and Latios to force switches and double switch into Hoopa is key.

Glaive (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn forms part of the defensive core of the team, acting mostly as a special wall to deal with things like Tapu Koko, Magearna and Greninja. Power Whip crucially hits Mega Swampert and pressures Mega Sableye to recover after it switches in. Leech Seed + Protect keeps Ferrothorn healthy and scouts for choice-locked attacks. This longevity is necessary as Ferrothorn is often overstretched in it's role, especially against rain teams and Tapu Lele + Mega Alakazam cores. It's also the only hazard setter for the team. Ferrothorn can usually be brought in with few consequences unless they predict it.

Braeburn (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge

Keldeo is the choice scarfer of the team. It offers more power and bulk than a scarf Greninja, albeit with less versatility. Keldeo is able to perform very well against the popular HO teams on the ladder, revenge killing pokemon such as Choice Scarf Kartana and Blacephalon, +1 Mega Charizard-X, Z-Celebrate Pokemon and Ash-Greninja. Stone Edge OHKOs Volcarona and hits Mega Charizard-Y for big damage. On more balanced teams the threat of Scald often forces switches into water resists such as Toxapex and Tangrowth, giving an opportunity to double switch into Hoopa. Scald burns are also appreciated on bulky and offensive Pokemon alike and can salvage a tough situation by crippling a physical sweeper.

Flusha (Latios-Mega) @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Draco Meteor

Mega Latios is the primary fire resist, dealing with Heatran and Mega Charizard-Y. Its powerful and easily spammable STAB moves deal big damage to any non-steel type Pokemon. Earthquake hits Magnezone, Heatran and Magearna. The resistances that dragon typing offers affords many opportunities to switch in, and Roost keeps it healthy for late game. This Lati beats most Tapu Bulu variants and baits steel types in, leading to some easy double switches. Overall the typing, power, bulk and longevity that Latios offers makes it a great choice.

Krimz (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Zapdos is vitally important in dealing with physical attackers. Mega Pinsir and Hawlucha are completely walled, as are most variants of Kartana and Tapu Bulu. Potentially paralyzing Pokemon such as Tornadus-T and Landorus-T as I safely switch into a U-Turn is nice. Zapdos also takes at least one hit from powerhouses such as Mega Charizard-X, Mega Medicham and Mega Mawile, presenting at least two chances to para with Static and more with Discharge. Defog is nice to clear Sticky Web away for Keldeo and to make switches easier for the whole team. Heat wave hits Ferrothorn hard, also threatening Tapu-Bulu, Mega Scizor, Magnezone and Magearna. The EV spread outpaces Magnezone while maximising its defensive capabilities.

Demetri (Landorus-Therian) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Both boosting moves on this Landorus-T set are rarely used for late-game sweeping. Instead it primarily finds use by deciding which boost is more useful. I often find myself using Swords Dance and Rockium Z to overwhelm defensive cores that have Ferrothorn, Zapdos, Celesteela, Gliscor etc. Rock Polish meanwhile is more useful during the late-game to get one or two KOs while keeping out revenge killers that don't exceed 618 speed (Everything except Hawlucha and priority users). Rockium Z is chosen over Flyinium Z due to its ability to hit Zapdos, Celesteela and Skarmory while also giving me a non-charge move to hit levitating Pokemon. While Landorus is good as a ground-immunity, I usually want to keep Landorus healthy to maximize its chance of breaking or sweeping.

Threatlist:
Overall the team has great defensive synergy and usually has 2-3 checks or counters to whatever the opponent has. However there are some exceptions to this which make certain Pokemon big threats.

Tapu Lele is the biggest threat to the team. It can spam Psychic and wear down my only real switchin, Ferrothorn. All it takes is one correct prediction to hit Ferro with an HP Fire or a Focus Blast and it will struggle to heal up again. It also outspeeds Landorus and Hoopa and can take hits from Keldeo and Latios. For this reason I have tested swapping Keldeo for a Choice Scarf Protean Greninja with Gunk Shot, but Lele still remains a significant threat.

Tapu Koko itself doesn't do too much unless it's Choice Specs, but Ferrothorn is my main switchin and this is easily abused by U-Turn and Volt Switch, forcing me to switch the next turn. Koko combined with something that can punish Ferrothorn, such as the myriad of setup Pokemon on HO, is something to watch out for.

Clefable is OHKOd by Hoopa's Gunk Shot, but if they play it well this should never really happen. SD Landorus or paralysis from Zapdos is instead relied on to break through it. Both Magic Guard and Unaware are equally annoying, with the former not taking chip damage from burn and leech seed and the latter walling Landorus.

Assault Vest Magearna has tremendous longevity vs this team, and offensive sets with Focus Blast can break through Ferrothorn and outspeed the rest after a Shift Gear.

Kyurem-B is threatening to all teams if they predict correctly and this is no exception. My levitators are all weak to ice and Ferrothorn doesn't wall Icium-Z sets.

Mega Tyranitar is able to hit Ferrothorn, Zapdos and Landorus super effectively, leaving me with no guaranteed switchin. Pursuit is also threatening to Hoopa, leaving me without a good answer to Acid Armor Reuniclus

Mew isn't common right now, but its ability to outspeed Hoopa and freely spread burns to my team is tough to deal with without parahax.

Janemba (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Choice Band
Ability: Magician
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Fire Punch
- Knock Off

Glaive (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Braeburn (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge

Flusha (Latios-Mega) @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Draco Meteor

Krimz (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Demetri (Landorus-Therian) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Overall I'm very happy with this team and what I've been able to do with it, but it's not perfect. I'd be interested to hear if you have any suggestions on how you would improve it.

I suggest Jirachi over Ferrothorn to deal with the threat u mentioned, which also has Rock and Wish for longevity.
And maybe u could try a LO set instead of CB on Hoopa so that it won't lock its move and still has enough damage output,
as well as gaining the ability to take out T-tar or some other Pursuit-user with Drain Punch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)