How to Scream the Proper Way or "Using Boomburst IRL"

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
It's come to my attention that a lot of you are screaming in such a way that's incredibly damaging to your vocal chords. Don't fucking do that.

You might be playing a game of ORAS then BAM, TWaved by that Clefable, and then you get para'd the next seven turns in a row and have to release that guttural rage somehow. Or you manage to get a lucky crit against a Toxapex and drop your biggest "LET'S GOOOOOOOO". But then you come away and you're tired, your throat sore, and maybe you pass out. You're doing serious damage to your lovely little vocal chords that you try to make sound deeper in the Discord VC so you can pretend to be a knockoff blunder, and listen, trust me, you definitely don't want to be doing that. Vocal nodes are serious business and you don't want to get them at the ripe old age of 19. You won't sound like CorpseHusband, you'll sound like a fucking loser.

First you gotta warm up your vocal chords. Drink a fuck ton of water. Don't tell me that you drank a 2 liter of Diet Coke, that is not what I told you to do. Water is the gift of the gods and screaming while drinking whatever fucking disgustingly bright colored drink is not going to get you anywhere but pain-town. Do lots of yawning from a comfortable high point of your easily reached vocal range, down to a comfortable low point. Repeat this as necessary (usually five times) in order to spread out those cute lil vocal flaps. Sirening is also really good. If you're an artistic hack, you can attempt to sing trills, but frankly, that's dumb as shit in front of a computer, just do a trill while flapping your lips because at least then the girl sitting next to you in your school library or whatever will at least think you're trying to warm up for choir practice or something not totally fucking dumb like building semistall for your weekly game of the OM team tour you're in or whatever.

Ok so you're warmed up, cool. Now it's time to talk about your body. You can't just scream from your throat, you'll look like an idiot when your voice gives out halfway through English class when your teacher calls on your to answer what Mercutio meant by biting his thumb. Screaming from your throat also feels worse the actually swallowing sandpaper, and as someone who has done that once, I really don't recommend it. You have to consider four key points:
  1. Your Mouth
  2. Your Throat
  3. Your Chest
  4. Your Diaphragm
Oh yo don't know what a diaphragm is? Maybe you shouldn't have been laddering during Human Anatomy. It's that muscle acorss your rib cage that stretches to draw in and press out air. Basic shit.

Make your mouth into a wide ass shape. People who play stupid-ass tiers like LGPE OU might know how to do this since they've seen a Victreebel before. You don't want to try to use your mouth to make the sound different, that's gonna strain those chords and that's no good. Next open your throat. I know this sounds like horny-posting, but the throat literally only has one purpose (in the context of screaming you sicko) and that's to make the tone. So your throat's gotta be more open than [redacted]. This is why I told you to yawn. Yawning opens up that throat like nobody's business. During all of this your chest has to be relaxed. You don't want to look like Hungrybox passing the fuck out after popping off because you didn't relax your chest, do you? No. You don't. Relaxing the chest allows for airflow to happen and if you tense up there you can potentially cut off airflow to the rest of you. Also your chest is gonna be up a bit, that's fine more or less, since this is where the windpipe is and where the scream will be the strongest, and if you're pushing air out from your diaphragm then you're gonna get that sick fucking volume.

Now don't overdo it, and that's one of the most crucial part. No one likes a whisper screamer that you find online. And I don't even need an example of this, you literally know what I'm talking about. Now literally just practice into a pillow and don't hold back. It's great. The last thing you want to do is hold back assuming all is well and you're feeling comfortable with it.

And that's how you scream, the right way. Now go and post your screams to show that you're legit. They can be angry screams, hype screams, or screams that make your neighbors think you're getting murdered (these are my favorite). Get your ass out there and channel your inner anime Guzzlord.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)