SM OU Hydreigon Offense! (Around 1550 ELO on Suspect Ladder)

Do you think Hydreigon is viable at all this meta so far?

• Yes!

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • No.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • It's OK... I Guess.

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters
Introduction
Hello! Welcome to my first RMT of gen 7 (I have other RMT's on another account I cant access)! I thought since it's the beginning of a new gen, why not build a team around my favorite Pokémon, Hydreigon? Keep in mind that I am still fairly new to competitive, as I started playing competitively around late XY/ early ORAS. Any feedback is appreciated, but I will not be changing Hydreigon, since he's the mon I chose to build around. Without further ado, let's get into the team!

THE TEAM

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Sp. Def / 252 Speed
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast

- Dark Pulse
- U-Turn

Hydreigon does it's job very well, and that is to be a strong special attacker that spams Dark Pulse and Draco Meteor a lot. It has such an interesting speed tier, that allows it to outspeed non-scarfed Tapu Lele and Kyurem-B, but is left outpaced by base 100's and Garchomp. Draco is a literal nuke, and paired with choice specs, allows it to 2HKO almost anything in the meta that doesn't resist. Fire Blast allows me to hit steel types, like Magnezone, Celesteela, and Ferrothorn for massive damage. Dark Pulse is such a spammable move, as it has no immunities and hits hard backed with specs. I chose U-Turn over Flash Cannon because it allows me to grab momentum on a predicted switch, or nab a kill on a weakened opponent. I didn't find myself clicking Flash Cannon much, since its neutral on Tapu Fini, as well as Dark Pulse and Fire Blast dealing with Lele and Bulu respectively. Clefable is also not too common, which gives Flash Cannon even less utility. EVs are self-explanatory, allowing me to outspeed non-scarfed Lele and Kyurem-B, and still hit very hard.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body (pre-mega), Tough Claws (post-mega)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Meteor Mash
-Zen Headbutt
-Earthquake/Thunder Punch
-Bullet Punch

Mega Metagross is a great offensive partner to Hydreigon, as it deals with Fairies and other steel types that Hydreigon hates. Meta has a good speed tier of 110, which allows it to outspeed Keldeo, Garchomp, and both Zard forms, and it ties with the Lati twins. Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt are its 2 main STAB moves that are both boosted by Tough Claws. Earthquake allows me to hit most steel types + Alolan Marowak for good damage, though Thunder Punch is also useful for Celesteela, Tapu Fini, and Skarmory. I put bullet punch as my last move because it gives me nice priority, which my team lacks. It also can pick off Pheromosa, which is a huge threat to my team. The EVs are once again simple: Max speed and Max Attack to be fast and hit hard.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Sp. Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-
Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam/U-Turn
- Hidden Power Ice

Tapu Koko finishes up a nice offensive core along with Hydreigon and Metagross. It can beat Tapu Fini, Celesteela, and Skarmory, which my team can struggle to break past otherwise. Koko is very fast, and is my main revenge killer for any non-scarfers not named Pheromosa or Ash-Greninja. Thunderbolt, when backed by Electric Terrain + Life Orb, hits super hard to almost anything that isn't a ground type. Volt Switch allows Koko to hit something, and get out. It also forms a small Volt-Turn core with Hydreigon. Dazzling Gleam is a decent secondary STAB move, which can hit most Dragons harder than HP Ice and Thunderbolt. U-Turn can be run over this, and while it may seem odd to run Volt Switch and U-Turn on the same mon, it lets Koko get initiative against Ground types, and most importantly, allows me to escape non-scarfed Dugtrio from trapping me. HP Ice is used mostly for Lando-T, since that thing is on almost every team now. The electric terrain Koko summons on switch-in can interrupt other terrains from other Tapus, and it makes Amoongus not able to put anyone to sleep. It can also potentially boost Metagrosses Thunder Punch.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Sp. Def
Impish Nature
-
Power Whip
-Leech Seed
-Protect
-Stealth Rock

I needed a reliable rock setter, so Ferrothorn was my choice. This spot originally went to Sp. Def Alolan Marowak, but I found it never doing too much, and it never lived up to my expectations. Anyways, Ferrothorn can switch in to all of the Tapus (although it must be wary of Superpower from Bulu and HP Fire/Focus Miss Blast from Lele). It also comes in on most ground types, like Landorus-T and Excadrill. The EV spread actually allows me to take 2 LO EQ's from excadrill from full. The rest of the Sp. Def lets me take 2 +3 Ice Beams from Manaphy. Power Whip is used over Gyro Ball so I can make sure Tapu Fini doesn't Defog my rocks away (it's a solid 2HKO on defensive Fini after rocks). Leech Seed gives me passive recovery along with lefties. Protect lets me scout + it gives me an extra turn of Leftovers and potentially Leech Seed. Stealth Rocks are basically vital to all teams, as they wear down the other team gradually.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 Sp. Def / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
-
Scald
-Moonblast/Nature's Madness
-Taunt
-Defog

Hazards were becoming annoying, so Tapu Fini filled the role of a bulky defogger. Although none of my mons are weak to rocks, all of the Volt Switching from Koko and the U-Turning from Hydreigon wore my team down quite a bit. this spot originally went to Celesteela, but having a solid hazard remover and a good water type proved to be more effective. Scald is a decent STAB move that can burn Pokémon that are not on the ground while Misty Terrain is up. Moonblast is a nice STAB option, as it allows it to hit Dark and Dragon types fairly hard. Nature's Madness could be used here instead to make Tapu Fini a good stallbreaker along with taunt, but this team doesn't really struggle with stall anyways, so Moonblast is generally better. Taunt prevents Fini from being setup fodder, and can even stop some mons from setting up hazards to start with so you don't have to waste a turn Defogging. Defog gets rid of hazards, preventing my team from taking chip damage. The speed EVs let Fini outspeed min speed Lando-T. The Sp. Def + a Calm Nature lets Fini hit a jump point in Sp. Def. The rest are thrown into HP and Def to take physical hits better.

Landorus-T @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant/Jolly Nature
-
Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Rock Polish
-Swords Dance
For the last mon on the team, I chose Dual Dance Lando. There really is no reason NOT to use this thing, whether it is defensive or offensive. Anyways, I chose this to be a wincon, since my team lacked a solid one. This thing absolutely throttles stall almost single-handedly. It also gives me a back-up ground immunity. Adamant nature lets Lando hit as hard as possible, but jolly lets Lando outspeed Naughty Scarf Pheromosa and Sand Rush Excadrill. Adamant is generally better because it has significantly more power than jolly. Earthquake is mandatory on this mon, as it is its hardest hitting STAB move. Stone Edge rounds out the legendary EdgeQuake combo, and lets Lando have neutral coverage on basically everything in the Meta. Rock Polish lets me beat fast teams, and Swords Dance lets me beat bulkier teams. Rockium Z gives Lando a one time use 180 BP rock move to deal massive damage at +2. Here are some calcs:

+2 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Continental Crush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela: 328-387 (82.4 - 97.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Continental Crush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 265-312 (79.3 - 93.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Continental Crush vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Landorus-Therian: 277-327 (72.7 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Continental Crush vs. 244 HP / 216+ Def Tangrowth: 294-347 (73.1 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

THE THREATS
-
Tapu Lele can be a big issue to this team if they play correctly (Focus Blast the Ferro, Shadow Ball the Metagross etc.) It can be worked around though, as Meta takes a shadow ball if it is scarfed, and it is outsped if it is not scarfed.
-
Pheromosa outspeeds everything on my team unless Lando is at +2 (even then, scarf still outspeeds). This mon hits very hard too. Metagross can Bullet Punch, and it can also take a hit. Tapu Fini also takes one hit from this.
-
Z-Move Attack sweepers, like Supersonic Skystrike Salamence and opposing dual dance Landorus are big threats when set up. If they are not set up, they can be worked around.
-
Greninja in general is hard to mess with. Yes, I have Tapu Fini and Ferrothorn, but Protean Gren can run Gunk Shot and HP Fire respectively. Koko can outspeed Gren, but if it becomes Ash form, nothing outspeeds it. Fini and Ferro can beat Ash Gren pretty easily; it's protean that's the bigger issue.
-
The Zard Megas in general are big threats. If they haven't mega evolved yet, I don't know my switch-in. I can bring Fini in on X, but Y has limited switch ins. They both can be revenge killed (unless Zard X is set up, in which case, just click X), and rocks destroy them.
-
This thing is basically the same problem I have with Lele. Scarfed can be worked around, and non-scarfed is outsped. Still, I have no switch-ins if they play well.

There are probably more, but I can't think of any really serious ones.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Defog
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip

CONCLUSION

That's it for the team! Thanks for checking it out! I don't think its a bad team, but it can be better. I put a lot of effort into building this team. Please leave some feedback if you can. Thanks, and have a good one!

Last edited:
We are missing a revenge in Kill Team, no games with no Scarf and if you can not power uppare Landarus go into crisis by pkm as Pheromosa, potrsti use a pkm as Victini Scarf + Trik and U-turn or change sets to Landarus Scarf + Hp ice, I often use Ferrothorn max dif.spe to hold up well in Tapu Lele, Greninja, and special pkm Koko caliber.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SPD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast / Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

U-Turn is usually used with Scarf, you can sceglire between Fire Blast for Ferrothorn / Scizor or Flash Cannon vs fairy type

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
-Meteor Mash
-Zen Headbutt
-Earthquake
-ice Punch

Lately Bullet Punch is no longer as before performannte main cause Tapu Lele, most significantly Ice Punch seen that 80% of the goal and Landarus and Garchomp also Gliscor might give you problems if you did not Tapu Koko could also opt for Thunder Punch

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / SPD 168 or 248 HP / 252 Spd / 8 Def
Relaxed Nature
0 IV Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Sp. Def
IVs: 0 ATK
Bold Nature
-Scald
-Moonblast / Nature's Madness
-Taunt
-Defog

Landorus-T @ Z Rockium
Adamant / Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Rock Polish
-Swords Dance

Or

Landorus-T @ Choiche Scarf
Naive Nature
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-HP Ice
-U Turn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)