SM UU I Feel Like I'm Drowning

Dumb Sir

Banned deucer.
Drowning.jpg

Welcome to "Drowning"! The team I will be showcasing was based off a few key mons that i've wanted to use in the glorious UU tier. In this RMT, I'll try to explain the team building process, sets for the mons, and other tidbits of information. Take a listen to the music I provided and, with this little intro out of the way, why don't we get on with the team?
1547868539550.png

Primarina is a huge threat as, in my opinion, it is the best special wallbreaker in the tier. I wanted to base the team around her earth shattering voice.
1547868545381.png
1547868568237.png
1547868588949.png

Cobalion heavily appreciates Primarina's wall breaking capabilities for mons like Aggron and Hippowdon. Nihilego is, to me, a perfect pairing for Cobalion, being able to perfectly match its coverage and pressure with rocks.
1547868547588.png
1547868570348.png
1547868591157.png
1547868626817.png
1547868651500.png

With a the bulky team this was rounding out to be, I needed a backbone that went well with it. Scizor takes advantage of Primarina's wall breaking as well as giving the team some priority and physical bulk. Tsareena because is punishes mons that like to set up their filthy hazards.
1547868549510.png
1547868572320.png
1547868594089.png
1547868628436.png
1547868654270.png
1547868695812.png

Hydreigon was my final choice for its ability to tank the hits the rest of the team wouldn't enjoy, revenge kill mons like Terrakion and apposing Nihilego, and stuff prankster mons.
1547863808595.png

Drowning (Primarina) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Psychic

Primarina is the mon I based this team off of, and for good reason. Primarina is one of the strongest special wallbreakers in UU, if not the strongest. The given EVs are designed to allow Primarina to deal as much damage with Specs as possible, outspeed 0 speed Alteria-Mega, and tank as much as possible. Primarina threatens tons of switches and 2HKOs most mons in the metagame bar Blissey and such.
1547863684436.png

Quarter Master (Cobalion) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

With all of the physical walls cowering in fear in the mere sight of Primarina, it allows for physical sweepers to take over in the late game. That's where Cobalion comes in, smashing through the already Primarina-eviserated enemy team. Shuca Berry gives Cobalion the ability to lure ground type moves that could otherwise revenge it, such as Banded Zydog Thousand Arrows, Altaria-Mega Earthquake and Hippowdon Earthquake. Swords Dance and Rock Polish are for the flexible sweepage Cobalion can rain upon the enemy team. The other moves are good STABs, mainly Iron Head for pesky fairies like Sylveon and Florges.
1547864626143.png

Killin' Me Slow (Nihilego) @ Electrium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Grass Knot
- Thunder

sAs I see it, Nihilego is the perfect pair for Cobalion. Nihi's Gigavolt Havoc blows away and mons that want to wall Primarina and Cobalion, like Alomomola and Suicune, and hit the of Ground/Waters like Seismatoad, Gastrodon, and Swampert. Stealth Rock applies pressure to mons like Moltres, Houndoom-Mega, and Charizard. Sludge Wave because STAB.
1547865221055.png

Bass (Scizor) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Scizor the swiss army knife. Scizor provides the team with much needed U-turn momentum, longevity, physical bulk, and clean-up. The blatant 4x Weakness to fire is shored up by the 3 other resists on the team, being Primarina, Nihilego, and Hydreigon. Nothing much more to say that hasn't been said before about this mon. It really fits onto any offensive build.
1547865705581.png

Vicious Suspicious (Tsareena) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- U-turn
Tsareena is the much needed backbone to the team. Because of this teams reliance on reading switches, hazard damage racks up pretty quickly. Solution: Spin, nothing really creative, but what works works. The recent uprising of Ghosts in the tier to spinblock like Frosslass and Doublade have led me to run Knock Off over High Jump Kick. Knock Off also punishes Life Orb, Band, and Scarf users from trying to pivot in. Tsareena really can be a major annoyance for many Hazard-Stacking Teams.
1547866219430.png

Long Live the King (Hydreigon) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Last and definitely not least, Hydreigon. Scarfed Hydreigon Revenge kills, catches switches, and provides much needed resists to the team in a Grass and Fire resist and a Ground immunity. Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse hit stupidly hard against the meta unboosted and Fire Blast hits Enemy Scizors and Cobalions, along with other pesky Steel Types.
1547867579146.png
1547867598903.png
1547867618392.png

Offensive Sticky Webs Setters: Webs in general give this team a hard time, but the offensive Bugs especially give this team a run for it's money. Tsareena being my only hazard removal leaves me quite vulnerable to this genre of Hyper Offense.
1547867838953.png
1547867895850.png

Curse Steelix-Mega: Steelix crushes my entire team bar Primarina and sometimes Cobalion. I have no reliable way of killing this mon without sacking at least 1 of my own after a curse boost.
1547868023556.png

Swords Dance Doublade: Doublade is extremely bulky and can clean up my team after a few turns of hazards. He also blocks rapid spin from Tsareena and can OHKO it with a +2 Attack.

Attachments

Hey Dumb Sir really cool team and I'm loving the aesthetic of your RMT. Before I get into my rate I just want to mention a few things I saw weak with your squad and then I'll get into my changes to help alleviate these. Overall the team is solid so I didn't make many drastic changes but i think these ideas might help ease some match-ups you previously struggled with.

- Mega Manectric is really annoying for this team especially because you have no way to stop Volt Switch. Your primary response is Nihilego or Hydreigon but other way you give up a lot of momentum because of this. The latter also has to be careful of Signal Beam. The same thing can be said for other pivots like Rotom-H, but this is the main one.

Fighting types seem very problematic for your team as you basically have to sack something to them or let Prima get severely dented. The biggest ones are Terrakion, Cobalion and to a lesser extent Ape depending on the set but if you Keep Prima healthy its fine. If Terrak gets behind a Sub it can basically wreak havoc, not that the CB set doesn't already do so. Same thing for Coba once it gets +2 you basically have to sack something and hope it is in Hydra Fire Blast range. I could list the others but I think you get the general gist of it.

Major Changes:

- My first change was to add Rotom-H over Tsareena as your hazard removal. The reasoning behind this is because it has an easier time removing hazards especially with the spin blockers you mentioned. Bisharp can't freely switch into Rotom-H either unless it wants to risk getting nuked by Overheat. It gives you something to better handle MegaLix and Doublade as well, especially if they are trying to set-up. This still gives you the momentum you want as it invites in common Dragon types for Primarina to get a free turn in. This also helps you out against Boltbeam Latias which Scizor and Prima can be overwhelmed by. I made it slower than other Rotom-H so you get momentum and the 24 SpA lets you OHKO Celebi after SR dmg.

- Next I added Gligar because it helps check these fighting types like Terrakion, Cobalion and a lesser extent NP Ape. It also gives you a good check to Mega Aerodactyl and MegaLix which can be really annoying for your squad. While it may not check Manec as well because of HP Ice, you have Rotom-H + Hydra so it isn't a big deal. The main goal is to prevent Pokemon like Manec or Rotom-H freely spamming their Electric Moves. This acts as your new SR user over Nihi. I opted for U-turn but you can run Toxic.

Minor Changes:

- Moved your 8 EVs on Scizor into Spe to be faster than Chesnaught. Optional but you could use Iron Plate which lets you pick up the 2OHKO on Specs Prima and OHKO at +2, giving it more offensive presence in general if you are fine with forfeiting the passive recovery.

- Seeing as the Z-move is opened up I moved it onto Cobalion. So I opted for Steelium-Z because Primarina is a lot more threatening and Amoonguss is annoying. Nuking Amoong opens up doors for Scizor to sweep and Prima to spam her stabs, and removing Prima just takes a lot of pressure of your team. I moved Stone Edge into the free slot to nuke Moltres, but if you wanna keep using Rock Polish that is fine too.

Alternatively:

- You could use Kommo-o over Cobalion here with an SD or Mixed set. As Kommo-o doesn't need to run SR you have the ability to run Poison Jab which I think is much better over Flamethrower. On the SD set you could use either Dragonium or Poisinium-Z, it can be an effective lure against bulky fairies with the latter. On the Mixed set you can use LO or Dragonium with P-Jab + Taunt. I'll provide both versions of the team and sets.

I hope you like these suggestions and once again really nice showcase. I think the original team is solid as is but I hope these changes help with the Pokemon you were previously having issues with. As I mentioned your match-up vs some bulkier waters and Prima is a bit harder but with VoltTurn+ Specs Primarina they can be managed. If you have any questions just let me know and i look forward to your future posts ^_^

Last edited:
Hello @Dumb Sir, looks like a pretty nice team you've built here around Specs Primarina. I wanna mention some things to think about in general with some of the picks above, and then get into the changes I've made to enhance some of the match-ups.

Notes

[1]
[2]
[3]

[1] AV Tsareena doesn't really do anything notable in my theorizing, especially so with no HP investment. It's still getting 2hko'd by one of the most common Specs users in the tier, Primarina. Tsar would much rather utilize a Choice Band or Meadow Plate if you prefer to not be locked into a move.​
[2] Bulky SD Sciz is my steez rn, but 252HP is more than enough in most scenarios. the 252DEF+ just makes you more passive than you'd usually like to be and comes in handy very rarely compared to the extra attack investment, as you appreciating chipping down your answers more than the extra provided defensive utility.​
[3] Double Dance Cobalion is still a good pick (imo) but I feel like other items can better match the offensive nature of the set, like a Z-Move or Lum Berry. As Twilight mentioned, the team would really appreciate Steelium Coba as it does big damage to Amoonguss, Gligar ("big" in this case), opposing Primarina, Nidoqueen, and Latias.​
Changes

Straightforward pick here; keeps removal while being able to check Doublade and Scizor, also helps with BoltBeam Lati and Manectric. Can't go wrong here, this 'mon is pretty damn good in our current metagame and for good reason. Hella defense to help patch up the SD Scizor weakness the team can potentially have, as well as a more solid check for Bish, Doublade, or Cobalion.
Felt like it was pretty important to make sure Rotom-H isn't overwhelmed with all of the 'mons it can potentially check and Aerodactyl was the pick, in my eyes at least. Four attacks M-Aero helps with faster threats like Latias, Zeraora, Beedrill, and the likes as well as threatening 'mons that can be an issue for the team like Rotom-H and M-Manectric. Also helps get a sizeable amount of chip off on Doublade or Steelix for Scizor.

So, also another straightforward pick here. Gives you a Volt Switch immunity as well as another 'mon that performs well versus opposing M-Aero, M-Steelix, and M-Aggron. A 'mon that dunks on Terrakion + Cobalion by virtue of its typing, can never go wrong with Palo as long as its supported well. Funky spread to better handle M-Manectic and the likes.

Other Changes
Very minor change here, a more offensive presence helps in the long run on these BO-esque archetypes. Funky spread to help with Electrium Latias, you should be fine in that regard. Calcs below for Empoleon, Amoonguss, and opposing Scizor to show how Prim + Sciz play off of one another.
+2 204+ Atk Scizor Savage Spin-Out (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 242-285 (70.3 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 204+ Atk Scizor Savage Spin-Out (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Amoonguss: 516-607 (119.4 - 140.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 204+ Atk Scizor Savage Spin-Out (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Empoleon: 247-291 (66.3 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Sparkling Aria > Surf here mainly because it hits thru subs & it's not like the 8 PP is going to be crucial in 99% of your MUs. Also, Sparkling Aria sounds a lot cooler than Surf. :eyes:

----------​

Final Thoughts
Primarina has indeed cemented itself as a staple in UU thanks to both its breaking abilities and fantastic typing; I like the previous take on it as Nihilego essentially acted as a lure for opposing Empoleon & Tentacruel, that was a really nice touch. There's an outlying weakness to M-Slowbro & Suicune in the original build, and the Suicune weakness ultimately translated over to this edited version. Suicune because once Tsareena gets burned, the game is pretty much over, so just keep that in mind while playing Suicune, bc locking yourself into a Water-type move with Prim can mean sudden death, especially if it manages to let Suicune in for free. Cool idea though, I enjoyed RMT'ing as well as reading your RMT, it was really neat :]

[click for importable]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)