VGC I Made This Team But I Think Something Is Off

Hey, I'm new to VGC and I made a team. I did some research on the format and I watched a few videos talking about why certain moves are used, why EV spreads are done in a certain way, and what items to put on what. After constructing my team and playing with it I noticed that sometimes my team just falls apart when I send out some pokemon out together and I wonder if there are other options I can use under my nose due to my lack of experience.

Pokepaste link to the team: https://pokepast.es/5f675ed9bbfadb3f

When I first made my team I plugged in a Togekiss, Dragapult, and Excadrill core because I heard that these pokemon paired well and covered each other's weaknesses. Togekiss is a bulky pokemon with follow me drawing in attacks from other pokemon, Dragapult has an offensive choice specs set often 2 hit KOing opposing pokemon, then there's Excadrill with 3 coverage moves and a focus sash because it's a frail pokemon and faints to supereffective hits.

Then there are the supporting pokemon that I chose Scrafty, G-Weezing, and Milotic. Scrafty was chosen because I wanted an Intimidate ability like Incineroar with dark type coverage but I wanted fighting STAB like Conkeldurr. So I put an AV on Scrafty to give it some bulk and moves that I thought were useful and Thunder Punch for coverage because I didn't have an Electric-type attack. G-Weezing I picked because I remembered it in a trailer when GameFreak was hyping up the game. It shuts down certain strategies like Justified+Beat Up or Chlorophyll in sun. It disrupts the opponent's play or techs they try to pull off and I clutched a few games because of it. Milotic I put on there because in a type calculator it said I need a Water-type for both offense and defense. When looking at the Water-typed pokemon I thought that Milotic will be able to set up Coil+Hypnosis easier when paired with Togekiss's Follow Me.

The reason why I feel my team is off: Whenever I pair Togekiss+G-Weezing I'm at an immediate disadvantage against common pokemon like Rhyperior and Excadrill for example because Togekiss is weak to Rock and Steel and G-Weezing is weak to Steel and Ground which they both at least have two of these types in their coverage. In the few scenarios where I feel both Milotic and G-Weezing at the same time, I can't pick them because Milotic even though it's very bulky in nature it becomes very vulnerable setting up without Follow Me and Max-Airstream for speedy Hypnosis if I think it's needed. So I never pair Milotic+G-Weezing together and Togekiss+G-Weezing together. Maybe I need to take G-Weezing out for something else or replace Milotic for a different Water-type or maybe use a different move set; I don't know what to do. BTW I'm also thinking of removing U-turn on Dragapult for Thunderbolt or something how does that sound? I am also thinking of running CC instead of Drain Punch on Scrafty for more power.

I think that your problems might be less of an issue with the team, but how you are playing the team as which is something that will come with experience. Leading Togekiss + Weezing-Galar I agree will leave you at a disadvantage against Rhyperior and Excadrill, so instead, I would recommend using other options. If you see Rhyperior or Excadrill then understand that the opponent can bring those options and so you should send out your Pokémon that are good against those two such as Scrafty. Scrafty lowers their most important stat of Physical Attack through Intimidate and Fighting hits them super effectively. At the same time, I can see where things changing on the team is potentially worth doing.

Changes I would make are very small things like switching Dragapult from a Modest Nature to Timid so that you are able to speed tie with or even possibly outspeed on occasion opposing Dragapult.

Excadrill I would change from 244 Atk / 12 SpD / 252 Spe to 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe since you have Focus Sash and will live a single hit I am unsure what the 12 SpDef does for you, but whatever extra hit you live might not be worth missing any possible OHKOs from not having that extra Atk point although most likely small differences like losing out on an Atk Point or two just to throw the extra EVs in bulk likely isn't too crazy of a difference on either side.

Lastly I would change Scrafty from 168 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 76 SpD to 164 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 76 SpD / 4 Spe. It's a free point of speed given that the way that EVs work at level 50 which is what VGC is played at is different than at level 100 so you are going to keep the same HP stat while gaining an extra point of speed to be faster than Pokemon who would've been at 78 and tied with you by now being at 79, not that Scrafty is too common anyways so not sure that winning speed ties is too big of a deal just nice to be optimal.

Personally I prefer to keep my rating of teams with as minimal change as possible just because it is easier to change in-game and also I don't want to hurt the idea of the team and stop you from using what you want to use, but a few other things I would consider is one going for a physical Dragapult just because that is the stat which is higher and by not using a Choice Item you are going to be able to be more flexible. I also think that if you want to replace Weezing then I have an idea although it will make the team a lot more standardized. Replace Scrafty for Conkeldurr as Conk isn't x4 weak to common Fairy-type moves with Togekiss being the most used Pokemon and also Conk gets Mach Punch which having the priority is going to be useful against things like Tyranitar as Sand Teams are common. Then Weezing could be replaced with Incineroar who does what you want out of Scrafty and you already have Fighting STAB in Conk so instead, you can be able to have the advantage of something like Parting Shot to pivot out and lower attacking stats of opposing pokemon.

These are what the most standard of sets are

Dragapult @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
Level: 50
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Fly
- Protect

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch

Incineroar @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 60 Atk / 84 Def / 108 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Darkest Lariat
- Parting Shot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)