Infernape See, Infernape Do [OU]

Intro
I originally had in mind a team using Infernape when I first came here, but then noticed that team just couldn't find a use for him at all, which resulted in my first OU team. After some thought and testing in Pokemon Lab, I think I made a solid team. It's not actually centered around Ape, but it's just a more offensive team compared to my more balanced team, while also trying some things my other team just couldn't do without up-setting its structure.

Construction

I wanted a good lead who can get up Stealth Rock, and take down other leads. Fake Out certainly helps as I can break Focus Sashes, while still carry my own.

I also wanted to try out an F/W/G core, and carry a solid Water type who can make use of Stealth Rock and set up. Sub DD Kingdra fit that well, as I can cause some switches, while doing some dragon dances. Kingdra also counters Rain Dance teams well.

While Shaymin may seem odd, he's been able to perform admirably in the team. Leech Seed helps to force switches, which may also seem odd as Kingdra can do that but it still works well. I THINK Roserade could work in this spot instead, but for now Shaymin is a solid choice. That completes the F/W/G core.

Now a good revenge killer was needed and Scizor as always works extremely. An added bonus is the synergy it has with Kingdra; Scizor resists Dragon, while Kingdra doubly resists Fire which helps help switch in. Scizor has also worked as a means for Blissey and Snorlax after Infernape fell.

Why Starmie? I need something to kill off Dragons, other water types and provide rapid spin support, mostly for Scizor and Zapdos. In addition, Starmie does work great for late game.

I lastly needed a defensive Poke. Something to help stall out if the need came up, something to get rid of set up, or anything else like that. Physically Defensive came up, providing some helpful resistances and bulk. Zapdos also provided a ground immunity, which helped and it did its job well.

Changes

Now I was getting decent results with Shaymin, but it wasn't quite up to par. Roserade pairs much more efficiently, as being able to put up Spikes, providing paralysis support and still acting as a good way for Bulky water types all seem more enticing. In addition, Roserade lacks Shaymin's pure grass typing weaknesses, allowing for an easier switch in at the expense of a ground neutrality.

Now Zapdos wasn't really harming the team, but it really just couldn't up. It's phazing qualities were only meager and I could hold up reasonably against most anyway. Flygon proved better as not only did it help provide resistances, but in tandem with its own U-Turn, Scizor's U-Turn, Stealth Rock and Spikes, can put a lot on my opponent. Of course, oddly enough a lot of people have expected a switch into Flygon and Ice Shard just rapes it but it's proven so much better than Zapdos. However, after looking at some other suggestions Flygon may just lose its spot.
In-Depth
Lead

Infernape (CAPNQWARK) w/ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
Naive Nature
64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Fake Out
Stealth Rock
Fire Blast
Close Combat

Fake Out breaks sashes and helps defeat the opposing Poke. If Infernape doesn't go down after getting up Stealth Rock, Fake Out can prove useful later on. With Focus Sash, Fire Blast is made even more powerful as it activates Blaze. Close Combat rounds off the set with a nice powerful STAB. My only problem is at some points in a match, I wish Infernape didn't go down, like if I'm against a Blissey and just can't use Scizor. In addition, Gallade leads have given me problems. It still does well.

Physical Sweeper

Kingdra (SPYRO) w/ Chesto Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
144 HP / 160 Atk / 40 SpD / 164 Spe
Dragon Dance
Rest
Outrage
Waterfall

Originally a sub DD set, this version of Kingdra works so much better. While substitue's safety blanket was welcome and the switches worked great with the entry hazards, it didn't feel needed. ChestoRest Kingdra works better and fits the team quite a bit. The set utilizes Kingdra's bulk and typing to set up. Usually I can get at least 3 Dragon Dances before Resting. Any status I get, is no problem as I can just rest away. However, it is quite predictable as sometimes if I'm setting up on the likes of Dusknoir or Rotom, as it isn't too hard to figure out why I'm still setting up despite a status. Still I can manage and on the plus side, Breloom can't threaten my team. It sometimes comes in while I'm DDing, and then loses its chance to get rid of Kingdra. This also applies to other sleepers but since most sleepers are resistant to Water, I need to go into Outrage which allows them to switch into a Steel-type. Even then, it still hits hard. Kingdra's typing pairs up efficiently with Scizor, as it 4x resists Fire while Scizor returns the favor by resisting Dragon. It has an easy time switching into Heatran and setting up as well, especially with the added EVs in Bulk.

The Spiker

Roserade w/ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Calm Nature
252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Spikes
Energy Ball
Hidden Power Fire
Stun Spore

Having replaced Shaymin for Spikes, Paralysis and maintaining good momentum, Roserade goes quite a way in proving its worth over Shaymin. Stun Spore can paralyze anything hoping to switch in for free, which can cripple most sweepers. HP Fire covers well with Roserade's Energy Ball, also going a way in taking out anything that tries to switch into STAB Energy Ball, though Leech Seed can help with recovery and switches but Stun Spore benefits more. Speaking of which, Energy Ball is used over Grass Knot for reliability and if its secondary effect kicks in, it can prove use. Natural Cure can make Roserade a solid status absorber, and is better in comparison to poison point as Roserade's defenses are meh at best. Spikes is a main reason for Roserade, this team has caused some switches even before Roserade's entry, so why not put it in to make things worse?

Revenge Killer/Scout

Scizor (KRATOS) w/ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Bullet Punch
Superpower
U-Turn
Pursuit

Overused beyond belief, but why isn't it? Scizor is a godsend. It never fails its job and its moves all serve a specific purpose. Bullet Punch's priority nails the job with revenge killing and is strong even when resisted. Superpower gets rid of opposing steels, and Blissey. U-Turn scouts and racks in damage, and goes hand in hand with Flygon's own U-Turn. And Pursuit utterly destroys Ghosts and anything trying to escape. In addition, Scizor always resists something any of my other teammates are weak to, except for Infernape, allowing easy entry. Scizor resists Dragon for Kingdra, all of Roserade's weaknesses but fire, grass, dark, bug and ghost attacks on Starmie, and Ice and Dragon for Flygon. Zapdos. Bar Roserade, the whole team resists fire too, allowing something to take the hit well for Scizor.

Rapid Spinner/Special Sweeper

Starmie (SHING) w/ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rapid Spin
Hydro Pump
ThunderBolt
Ice Beam

Scizor will switch in on a lot, and Stealth Rock limits Zapdos. Starmie remedies that, and also patches up any threats like Gyarados and Infernape. Recover isn't needed since Starmie will likely not find an opportunity, and Rapid Spin makes a difference. Hydro Pump is the STAB and maims anything, even grass types that try to switch in. ThunderBolt takes care of opposing water types, and Ice Beam rounds it out with the removal of grass types. Unless I can pray to God that Hydro Pump does not miss often, Swampert (have not failed any swamperts yet with this set) can give problems. Starmie's synergy with everyone else is top notch, too. Late game, Starmie can really shine and even before that, it's still potent.

Countering the Biggest Threats

Flygon w/ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Earthquake
Outrage
Thunder Punch
U-Turn

Zapdos did not do well at all; for a few matches yeah but afterward it faded. Considering the team is more offensively orientated, it just didn't work. For lack of a better term, Flygon performs much better. It has some of Zapdos's resistances while providing its own, such as re-enforcing the fire resistance, resisting Stealth Rock itself, and also resisting electric for Starmie. In addition, it can counter some of the threats to this team like Infernape, Tyranitar, Lucario and Gyarados with its move set. Despite Flygon working so much better than Zapdos, it doesn't exactly cut it for this team. It also adds to Kingdra's Dragon weakness and to Roserade's Ice weakness. Flygon may lose its spot, but it still performs well.

Closing
With a few changes, this team works better than I planned it. Not to say I was making a bad team but yeah. I'm still unsure about the last spot. Flygon isn't a bad choice by any stretch but there could be potential better choices. Scarf Jirachi can check the threats Flygon can while working well, but it shares two weaknesses (Fire and Ground) and it makes switching into Scizor a bit harder, and can't take on Electrics. Extremespeed Dragonite can take on electrics and be a potent late game sweeper but it has Flygon's weaknesses and a Stealth Rock (though Starmie remedies this) weakness and isn't entirely able to take on all of the threats. I am really considering keeping Flygon but I guess some testing is needed. On a brighter note, everything else works extremely well.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cool team.

Rating upon request by OP. This seems to be an excellently designed team, FSLAR; it seems that you've improved from the time I rated your previous RMT! This team has, in my perspective, a nice strategy being implemented while also having a clear sense of synergy and and reliability among the Pokemon in said team. However, I see it having problems with some noteworthy Pokemon, which could potentially present problems if they find the opportunity to switch in and/or set up. Pokemon like dragon dance Gyarados, dragon dance Tyranitar, substitute Heatran, offensive Starmie and offensive Jirachi (and Shaymin) all come to mind as if they set up, its almost guaranteed that they will be KOing at least one of your Pokemon as you attempt to defeat said opposing Pokemon. There are other Pokemon you should watch out for too but they're minor threats so, I'll focus on these threats in this rate.

[box]

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SpDef
Jolly nature (+Spd,-SpAtk)
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Thunder Punch
- U-turn[/box]
First of all, before I get to the changes in accord to helping deal with the aforementioned threats, I'm going to recommend a couple of other changes in your team. First of all, I suggest trying some sort of Roserade variant over Shaymin; I'd recommend the toxic spikes or spikes sets but variants like sub-seed or LO can be given a try. Top be honest, a cleric is highly unnecessary on this team so even if you don't want to include Roserade, an offensive Shaymin can take the place of your current variant as well; preferably the standard special attacker set. Secondly, although this may wreck your team's core, it may be beneficial to try the chest rest Kingdra variant over your substitute version as the former can benefit more "greatly" from the support the rest of your team is providing. Moving on the the "bigger" recommendation: co-incidentally, just like your previous RMT, I'm going to recommend choice scarf Flygon; probably over Zapdos which is arguably the weakest link. Flygon can quite easily revenge kill all of the threats I had mentioned before while also being able to keep up momentum along side Scizor as in conjunction, the two can repeatedly spam U-Turn to constantly put pressure upon the opponent. I hope this rate has helped and good luck!

Thanks again for the rate Aerrow, as well the compliment. You are correct, those threats have been a pain, and I do indeed lose one Poke every time. Flygon over Zapdos seems to be a better choice as Zapdos couldn't entirely do its job. Roserade, I was already considering but my real concern is what set to use. LO, or standard Spikes? The former keeps momentum up and can spread poison but the latter has paralysis support at its disposal which can prove very helpful, its kinda a choice between poison and paralysis but HP Fire is a given on both. As for Kingdra, both sets do work well on my team but it's just a question of which is better. Substitue with Spikes and Stealth Rock works well but I find Kingdra's sub being broken easily. I see where you're coming from though.
Another worry is stall teams. Infernape is my only means but as he is a Lead, he dies early on. Stall isn't too much of a problem but it exists nonetheless. (Only Torment Heatran plagued my last team)

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
To be honest, I don't think stall will be much of a problem if you opt for the spikes variant of Roserade as with the constant amount of residual damage being collected coupled up with the constant switching the opposing Pokemon will have to do due to Flygon and Scizor, the entire core of the opposing team will be greatly weakened allowing your Kingdra and Starmie (who also helps in foiling stall teams due to rapid spin) to easily sweep an already weakened team.

Hey FLSAR. Pretty interesting team you have here. I want to suggest a few changes, however. Definitely consider Endeavour on Infernape as it can really weaken bulky-waters like Vaporeon, Gyarados and Suicune down to 1 HP meaning your team members could have a much easier time, as Starmie hates things like Vaporeon and Kingdra appreciates Gyarados removed. Using Endeavour over Fake Out is probably the best option. Fake Out is only really for Roserade leads and seeing as you have Rapid Spin on Starmie, they aren't a huge problem.

On Kingdra you should use the ChestoRest set. ChestoRest Kingdra is probably the best Kingdra set currently as it means you can use Kingdra as a sponge for many attacks such as Heatran and bulky-waters, then Rest up and sweep.

Kingdra @ Chesto Berry
Adamant | Swift Swim
EVs: 144 HP / 160 Atk / 40 SpD / 164 Spe
Dragon Dance / Rest / Outrage / Waterfall

Now, I think you should try out Scarf Jirachi over Zapdos as it fixes the slight Dragon Dance Gyarados, Babiri Tyranitar and friends weakness as well as being a solid revenge killer for fast threats like Gengar and Starmie. I think you should use Scarf Jirachi over Zapdos, as if you follow Aerrow's suggestion you become slightly open to Scizor and Lucario.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly | Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Iron Head / Fire Punch / Thunderpunch / U-turn

Also, replace Aromatherapy on Shaymin for Hidden Power [Fire]. Good luck!

Hi FSLAR,

Nice team you got right now, but I think with a few improvements it could be even better. The first is that I would like to second Heist's suggestion of Chesto Rest Kingdra (he beat me to it) because it is currently the 'superior' Kingdra set. The advantage of that set over your current one is that Kingdra becomes much bulkier to aid in its set-up. It still retains enough speed to beat everything it would normally beat after a Dragon Dance (except for Jolteon perhaps) and it will become a much better Heatran switch in. This brings me to my next suggestion. Currently, you have a very difficult time switching into Heatran's fire moves with 2 weaknesses and a very weak resistance in Starmie. Zapdos seems to be your most expendable member, so I will suggest that you change to Dragon Dance Extreme Speed Dragonite. Here is the set:

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Extreme Speed
This set will give you some additional offensive power while being able to threaten Heatran's well-being. Also, it doubles as an effective revenge killer with priority Extremespeed. Not much can set-up and KO both Scizor and Dragonite and their strong priority moves.

Good luck with the team! Hope I helped.

Right then, after some testing...Chesto Kingdra is working so well for my current team, so it's gonna be used over Sub DD Kingdra. Spikes Roserade is replacing Shaymin. As for Zapdos...Flygon works well, but a few people have predicted it (as in, they think I have it, they don't know if I do) which worries me but it definitely works well.
To address some suggestions:
@ Heist: Ugh, Vaporeon. Yeah, it's annoying and can switch in for free on either Kingdra or Starmie, and despite the latter carrying Thunderbolt it still can be a pain to take out. While endeavor can work, the problem is that I didn't want a suicide lead, as Lead Ape, if it survives, can still prove its use later on. Fake Out Ape has either taken out other leads or just significantly weaken them for me. I will look into that. Scarf Jirachi...definitely gonna try out later. My only problem with this is that I lack a Ground attack, meaning I have no way of taking out Jolteon, Electivire, etc.
@ undisputed: another solid replacement for Zapdos. My only problem is that it not only shares the weaknesses of Zapdos, but also a 4x Ice and Dragon. Scizor covers both but it is an isssue. I DO need an EQ user, but a second Dragon Dancer isn't too good.
Either way, the suggestions are all appreciated and considered

Oh yeah, actually now that I think about it, I really agree with Aerrow on the Flygon as it means you have most offensive electric-types covered. I think you should consider Heatran over Scizor or something, though, to help out with your Scizor weakness.

Scizor really is the glue to this team; Blissey can wall either Starmie or Roserade and Scizor murders it with either Superpower or Pursuit. Rotom and Gengar love switching into Infernape and Flygon, Scizor pursuits both and can even Bullry Punch Rotom (Caution around Rotom-H). Other threats, it can manage with too. Ape sometimes can at worse, significantly weaken opposing leads and Scizor can come in with impunity to finish them. Examples are Machamp (oddly enough, it can't bring bring Ape to his Sash) Gallade, Aerodactyl, Azelf...
Heatran has its qualities, the numerous 4x resistances will go a good bit but it compounds a bit in weaknesses, despite them being well covered. I haven't had much of a problem with Scizors anyway.

If you need a Scizor counter I suggest using Naive nature for Flygon and adding Fire Blast.

Although it'll make even more weaker against Gyrados.

This is a pretty good offensive team. One notable problem, however, is your lack of a spinblocker to keep Roserade's Spikes on the field. There are a couple of ways to help fix this problem. The first solution would consist of slotting a Ghost-type onto this team, preferably a solid spinblocker such as Scarf Rotom-W. However, this would require you to replace one of your already existing team members, all of which are useful in some way or another. A second possible option would be to simply replace Roserade with another Pokemon that is similar, yet differs in the fact that it doesn't set up entry hazards. I was thinking about a Leech Seed Venusaur, which shares Roserade's typing and serves the same useful function of combating opposing bulky Waters.

[box]

Venusaur @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SAtk / 176 SDef / 56 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire][/box]
Although Venusaur is more well-known for its presence in UU, it can actually serve a very useful purpose in OU as well. Venusaur is remarkably similar to Roserade, but possesses the advantage of higher physical bulk. Other than that, it shares many of the same moves, as well as a Grass / Poison typing that allows it to absorb Toxic Spikes. Sleep Powder is a great move to utilize, shutting down opposing switch-ins and generally making it difficult to "counter" Venusaur. Leech Seed provides useful recovery, healing your team members over the course of the battle. Grass Knot is a powerful STAB move that hits many of its OU targets hard. HP Fire rounds out the moveset by giving Venusaur additional coverage, allowing it to hit Steels such as Scizor, Forretress, and Skarmory. If you don't feel like using Venusaur, you can utilize a similar set on Roserade; however, I personally prefer Venusaur because it's more physically bulky and less commonly seen, which allows it to throw some opponents off.

Good luck!

P.S. You may have noticed that I have slightly changed the formatting that I use for the sets I post. This is so that you can paste the sets I recommend directly into Pokemon Online, Smogon's new simulator of choice. Hopefully this will encourage more people to try out some unique sets, and make it more convenient to integrate them into teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)