SM OU Jirachi/Tyranitar Balance (First RMT)

The Harbingers Volume 1

Hi all! This is my first ever RMT, and though I feel that my team has potential, I feel like it falls short in a lot of places, and I need help reworking it. It’s an ugly team to look at and play, but hopefully that doesn’t dissuade some of you guys from looking at this.

I'm running a balance build based on the utility of Jirachi, strength of Zygarde, speed control of Lopunny and Landorus, and a bit of hax, courtesy Jirachi and Zygarde.

The Team

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 196 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Body Slam

I’ll start with Jirachi. I think that this ‘mon is terrifying right now. In a metagame where paralysis moves are rising in popularity at an alarming rate, Jirachi can take advantage of this phenomenon with its iconic Iron Head and Body Slam combo. I feel like Body Slam has enough utility right now to forgo a U-turn, especially because the paralysis that my team can spread nullifies the “slow U-Turn”. WishTect is really good, because three of the best ‘mons in the game (Heatran, Zygarde, Landorus-T) love being topped off by 200 HP wishes. All in all, it might seem weird to build a team around a glue ‘mon and not vice versa, but I thought that Jirachi could thrive.

Tyranitar (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 184 HP / 232 SpD / 92 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Another rising meta trend is AV Tyranitar. There’s not much that hasn’t been said about how brilliant this thing is. This thing destroys Heatran (Corkscrew can do under 50%), eats a Focus Blast from Mega-Alakazam and OHKOs back, shreds Blacephalon and Volcarona, 1v1s Serperior, Pursuit traps the Latis, resets weather on Charizard-Y, and walls Koko to hell and back. This thing is a monster right now, and I liked it because it formed a really cool defensive core with Jirachi, who takes on opposing fairies like Magearna and passes wishes to top off Tyranitar when he’s weakened. Another thing of note is Ttar’s ability to outspend things like Heatran after paralysis, which is damn useful for a ‘mon without recovery.

Zygarde @ Groundium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Glare
- Substitute

Fun fact, Zygarde is broken. I’m running the Sub/Glare/DD/Thousand Arrows Groundium set, because I’ve been seeing it pop up lately and I needed a set up sweeper that could switch into bulkier mons that I had trouble touching with the previous two (Ferrothorn and Toxapex) and just sub up and DD. Glare has awesome synergy with Jirachi and Tyranitar. I’m considering switching a move out for Extreme Speed right now, because as you’ll later see I have an awful matchup vs. offense.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock

Next up, I realized that I completely folded to Scarf Lando-T and Ash-Greninja. Thus, I chose Ferrothorn to check both of these. Spikes are great on this team because they put pressure on the opponent, something that my team really needed. Spikes also go hand in hand with paralysis spam, as both of them are great at limiting what the opponent can do to prevent Zygarde and Jirachi from outright winning. Power Whip allows it to more proactively check the threats that is wants to come in on, giving it a good option against Greninja, Tyranitar, Mega Swampert, and Gastrodon. Leech Seed is basically a necessity on Ferrothorn and can also get Jirachi and Tyranitar out of a pinch through switching them into Leech Seed heals. I’m dual hazards because I can’t seem to fit Rocks otherwise.

Lopunny (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Mega Lopunny is here to prevent offense from rolling over my team harder than the Boston Red Sox have rolled through the MLB playoffs thus far. I’m running Fake Out for necessary priority, STABs because it’s a Lopunny, and Ice Punch because my Zygarde and Landorus matchups are pretty awful. I was debating running Medicham over Lopunny, but I continued with Lopunny due to its ability to outspeed Tapu Koko and Ash Greninja (the only other 'mon on the team that outspeeds Ash Gren is Scarf Lando, and I wanted something that wasn't weak to Shuriken). It helps me control late games when I'm conserving sacrifices and need something to duel with slower sweepers. It's not the best Mega right now, but I'm not sure what alternatives I have as an immediate check and revenge killer against the offensive mons that I'm having the most trouble with.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 Atk / 68 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Explosion
- Defog

Finally, Landorus-Therian is on my team. Intimidate is great, having a fighting resist is great, having a ground immune is great, having fast strong U-Turn is great, and having a Choice Scarfer is great. I needed defog very badly due to having easily chipped 'mons forming the teams backbone, and Lando-T is a premier user of the move. I chose to use Explosion on the set due to its ability to trade with opposing breakers and sweepers that threaten my main three-‘mon core of Jirachi, Ferrothorn, and Tyranitar. It's a blanket check to physical attackers that puts the opponent on the ropes whenever it comes in, and it opens opportunities for Jirachi to come in and cripple something.

Threatlist

Ash-Greninja and Alakazam-Mega: These two need no introduction as the tier’s best special sweepers. I’m hard-pressed for switch-ins already, and when I lose Lando they become exponentially harder to deal with.

Celesteela: I have basically no way of dealing with this thing outright, I often have to resort to paralysis and Zygarde’s Substitute to set up on it.

Rotom-Wash: This thing spreads burn, never dies, is immune to paralysis, and is quad resistant to Iron Head. Again, Zygarde already having a Substitute is my best shot.

Mega Mawile: It always comes in and claims one, but that’s Mawile I guess.

Kartana: If Kartana is Swords Dance/Knock Off/Leaf Blade/Sacred Sword I’m pretty screwed. Lando-T and Jirachi are my primary switch-ins, but a well-played Kartana can clean house against me.

Mega Medicham: It’s uncommon to see right now, but this things tears holes in the first four members of the team.

Conclusion
I've been playing this team by proactively paralyzing opponents and stacking hazards in the early game, and then settling into a slower-paced reaction-based game that my bulky core allows for. I chip and stifle opponents until I find a chance for Zygarde to come in, which either sweeps or opens up a sweep for Lopunny.
The game is the most fragile and losable in the early game, because I rely heavily on accomplishing my initial gameplan in a short amount of time. I originally carried an even slower and bulkier build with Clefable and Tornadus-Therian over Lopunny and Lando, but I made the replacements because I needed a more physically meaty defogger and a way of catching the faster threats that survived the rounds of Glares and Slams and Spikes. However, my team's late game is still quite shaky, because as soon as Jirachi goes down, the team cannot recover health. At that point, I don't have enough power or speed to make a last stand and often get overwhelmed. Basically, if I don't get my checklist done in the first 15 turns, the more pressure I am put under, and the checklist is long and hard to accomplish.

I’ve already contemplated switching Ferrothorn for Celesteela, which takes a bit of the physically defensive load and shores up my Mega Alakazam weakness, but I don’t know where else to fit hazards or a Greninja switch-in. If anybody has advice on what to do with the team, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks for reading, and have an awesome day!

Importable

https://pokepast.es/7d5ed52c95e05f79

Hmmmm, great team Harbinger, this looks like a classic team-build of mine, so good job on that. You should probably get into innovation btw, it really gets you high on the ladder and gets you far in comp meta. I can help you out with that, if you want.
-Deschutes

1541442872798.png

Hey there, i'm Mawilove!
I am the Sweet Mawile, and I like to make Decorated and Structured Rates to help other players and share my knowledge :)
Your team is very well worked, with a good structure Balanced, I just saw a problem in your offensive core, and you did a good post: It started with the complete team in images + Images for each explanation and the importable at the end, the threatlist also helped a lot. It seems silly, but many players do not make a post this way, and this makes our job very difficult.

After taking a look at your team, your threatlist, and doing some testing, I activated my reels and thought of good solutions.

Offensive Core
I realized that you do not have a Wallbreaker in your team that creates holes in the enemy team to help Mega Lopunny sweep at the end of the game, so the modifications will suit that.
1541442957574.png
| Zygarde |
1541444079100.png
Groundium Z >
1541444132569.png
Choice Band
Choice Band will give you a much larger sheer power, turning your Zygarde into a deadly Wallbreaker, increasing your ability to press checks in common with Lopunny as Clefable, Rotom-Wash, among others. Choice Band also gives you access to a powerful Extreme Speed, which will strengthen your speed control, giving massive damage to threats like Ash-Greninja and Alakazam.
| Landorus-T |
1541444015383.png
Choice Scarf >
1541444111420.png
Flyinium Z

Flyinium Z instead of Choice Scarf will greatly enhance your matchup against Bulky Grass-types like Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth, and some mons from your threatlist, in the case Celesteela and Rotom-Wash. You lose speed control from Choice Scarf, but I believe two prioritys in Zygarde and Mega Lopunny will take over.

Defensive Core
1541444172114.png
Tyranitar >
1541444203123.png
Toxapex
I did not want to remove Tyranitar from your team, but it really is not contributing much. Your team has an immense weakness to the type Ice and Fighting, and when removing the Tyranitar, would need a pokémon that would handle Fire-types. I chose Toxapex, which forms an interesting core with the next Pokémon of your team and with Jirachi.
1541444234420.png
Ferrothorn >
1541444251604.png
Tangrowth
Although they do similar things, Tangrowth will work a bit better than Ferrothorn, because he holds Ash-Greninja, Mega Alakazam and Rotom-Wash more safely, thanks to his greater longevity, neutrality to Fighting and not caring about burn . Stealth Rock is not a problem because it was inserted in the Landorus-T, and the loss of Spikes does not seem to me a problem because the mons that you need to deal with are immune to Spikes.

Other Options
Putting Stealth Rock on the Jirachi can be a great choice, as Jirachi is a setter with much longer longevity, and freeing a slot for Landorus-T to have access to Swords Dance is fantastic.
Mantine is an option in place of Toxapex, because it also deals with similar pokémon, but with access to Defog, however Toxapex is a much better pokémon in general (and Mantine does not resist Ice).
Tornadus-T is a GREAT option in place of Landorus-T, as it does things very similar, but dealing better with Grass-types, having more longevity, and being the special attacker you need, besides being faster.
Gastrodon is a great choice in place of Toxapex, but he does not deal with Fighting-types, and it's very repetitive to have three Ground-types on the team.

Rotom-Wash is an excellent option in place of Toxapex, and along with Tangrowth, and U-Turn in Jirachi, his team would become a fantastic Bulky offense, but ... I do not know if it's your desire to change the structure of your team .

Final considerations
Your team is generally good, with minor flaws in their offensive core, and a medium failure in their defensive core, but both will be corrected by the solutions I put in. I worked hard for an effective rate, and to not change your team a lot.
You do not have to follow ALL the modifications, but this is extremely recommended, so do not disrupt your team.
I'm sure you'll like the changes when testing, and I hope you'll respond to my rate with your opinions.
Feel free to call me on Showdown whenever you want ;)
Here's your new team!
Magileine (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 196 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Body Slam

Messengelato (Zygarde) @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Glare

Anjelly (Lopunny-Mega) (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- Frustration
- High Jump Kick

Hootcake (Landorus-Therian) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fly
- Gravity
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Chouxvailer (Toxapex) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Haze
- Toxic
- Recover

Mewfeuille (Tangrowth) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]
[/spoler]

Last edited:
Thanks a ton! I was definitely starting to realize how redundant Ttar was and how nice it would be to have Z-Lando, and this rate was super helpful in patching up holes in the original team. I think that I'll also try out the BO build you suggested, because that seems fun.

Ok Harb, I like the idea of a team focused on the core Punny + Zygarde.
It manages to cover good coverage even against bulky stuff. But it requires support and rewarding checks that can avoid sweep and end the game.

Present WEAKNESSES

<=> the team is weak in Hawlucha, considering that it is a sweeper you could not check it with any of your team members, plus you can close the match without major problems even with the possibility of spamming Fake Out + Switch, you do not have big measures.

<=> even if it is decreasing in usage (I've even seen Def RH as in Oras lol) Garchomp with SD can give a kill to your opponent and your team is extremely weak to any kind of attack that he has doing big damage to Ferrothorn, Killare Jirachi, use the Dragonium Z on Lando-T. So waiting for Lopunny to be in position is not a good alternative especially if you are in an emergency situation already at Turn 2.

<=> in a similar way I would also add landorus with SD and Supersonic Skystrike, even its scarf version is no exception because you have only 1 immunity to the ground type without recovery and this indicates that it has the revenue counted, 0 resistances and 2 weaknesses to the EQs, not to mention that Ferrothorn would take a neutral damage.

<=> I would also add Kartana in all his sets. Because if it is SD it takes away a kill thanks to the fact that it can also hit Jirchi with Knock Off and Lando-T Leaf Bleade. All Out pummeling is for Ferrothorn and you should enter Lopunny predicting the setup to guarantee you momentum and I think it is not a good alternative.

((
can be an annoyer for your team. You do not have switch-in on Scald and the chances of getting burned Zygarde,Landorus n TTar don't guarantee a good counter member in your team. ))

Let's move on to changes to try to fill these threats

Major CHANGES:

you need a teammate who can check Hawlucha, ScarfLando and Garchomp in lead, moreover it can handle Zygarde beautifully and Mega Heracross.
He will be the one who sets the Stealth Rock, Calm Mind will give him his set up sweeper function once the opponent pokemon will be exhausted.

I too think that this change greatly aids the team (as proposed by my colleague Mawilover).
It guarantees more reliability against Char Y, Greninja.Btw Pex walls Clefable with Calm Mind and check Celesteela maybe burn it and making them possible Leech Seed.
The set that I invite you to use is the classic one: Haze with Toxic Spikes to annoy switch-in or pivot like Koko and Tangrowth making them decimate their hp.
It takes 36 EVs in Speed to be faster than Reuniclus and use Haze on their setup in order to win 1vs1.

you need better answers against Kartana particularly if Scarf and is locked to +1 on Leaf Blade. It's a better defogger than Landorus-T from this point of view and I would also use it with Knock Off because it can eliminate the scarf to other hostile opponents such as Lele, or Leftovers to Clefable, Heatran and Celesteela.
Hurricane is undoubtedly for Tangrowth and Mega Venusaur. 156 Evs in SpAtk are for offensive kill Z (steelium / firium) Heatran thanks to All-Out Pummeling and in exceptional cases avoid miss on Kartana or Tyranitar.

Minor CHANGES:

On Ferrothorn I would only replace Spikes for Thunder Wave for the Volcarona and Charizard (X / Y) Switch-in or scarfs that can be threatening like Lele.

I think the Zygarde set is not suitable for the Z move you've set.
Weakness Policy is the way.
I would use 192 Atk / 136 SpD / 180 Spe Adamant obviously not to lose its offensive nature.
The spread serves to survive the Koko Specs HP ice, resists with more reliability to Clefable's Moonblast and Punny is outspeeded after having danced once.
Extreme Speed is to overcome Weavile's Ice Shards and Iron Tail is to break the balance focused on Tapu bulu.

I fully agree with Lopunny's set because with Ice Punch>POP you can seriously damage Gliscor and no Scarf Lando-T.

Tornadus-Therian @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 100 HP / 156 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- Defog

Lopunny-Mega (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Healing Wish
- High Jump Kick

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Zygarde @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 192 Atk / 136 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Iron Tail
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance

NEW THREATS

+Mega Alakazam can be really dangerous considering that as an answer you only have Ferrothorn.
I would advise you to paralyze him and then try to win 1vs1 with Punny with Fake out + STAB.
Also Megnezone can trap Ferro for this reason.

(It only has the right set when you have it against lol. Psichium Z Volcarona can threaten your team. Toxa could not check it if it is in range and Zygarde should use STAB Ground + ES to do something. Besides, it has not been damaged by Stealth Rock you should also include Lopunny with Fake out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)