ORAS OU Jumping on the bandwagon: A Volcanion team

Hi guys,
I've been spamming this team on the PS RMT and CT rooms for a few weeks now to no avail until I remembered that Smogon existed. So, I got over here as fast as I could and will now proceed to put my team here. Sorry that there's no "team building" section but it's been a while since I made it and I can't remember all of that stuff.

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
Ah, Volcanion, the closest thing to Hoopa U in the current OU metagame. With choice specs, this thing blows crap up all over the shop, and 2HKOs most things bar Chansey, Blissey and a few other things. Steam Eruption provides very powerful STAB, and with the right hax can ruin the fun for most physical attackers. Fire Blast is more powerful STAB. Sludge Wave can threaten fairies, and Earth Power hits other Volcanions.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Superpower
Bandtar is another wall breaker who can screw entire stall teams up. With sand up, it is also deceptively bulky. It also provides a nice bird check. Stone edge is STAB that kills stuff (especially Tflame and Tornadus and those things). Pursuit can permanently remove stuff like Lati@s, Starmie and various other Psychic types, and also dents Chansey and Blissey big time. Crunch is just some more STAB and Superpower excels at killing Bisharp.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance
Yet another wall breaker makes an appearance on the team. Heracross is great because it can remove Sturdy and ignore sashes, as well as hit lots of stuff on the switch. Close Combat is STAB that hits super hard, and the same goes for Pin Missile (which makes use of Skill Link). Rock Blast can hit various things, but is mainly used on the switch. SD can boost it's attack to frightening levels and help to smash through walls.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Thundurus is a fast offensive mon on my team. The ever spammable Twave is there for speed control and can ruin most sweepers day. Thunderbolt is solid STAB, whilst grass knot helps against rain and certain stall builds that carry Quagsire, as well as Hippowdon. HP Ice smacks Lando, Gliscor and Garchomp and will 2HKO, if not OHKO them.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
Lando T can do many things. It can pivot with U-Turn, force switches with Intimidate, take hits, and attack very well. EQ can KO stuff like Heatran, Excadrill and Tyranitar. Stone Edge hits flying mons, whilst U Turn pivots. Stealth Rocks provides crucial support and turns 2HKOs into OHKOs.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Protect
Finally, there is Jirachi. He can also spread paralysis with Body Slam, flinch for days with iron head, scout with protect, and provide wish support for the team. He is great to switch into many hits, and can even eat up super effective hits, like Mega Manectric's flamethrower and various HP Fires that run around OU.

Stuff to think about
  • No hazard removal on the team, which is a large problem because I have a few mons weak to stealth rock and the team likes to switch around a bunch.
  • Status can also be, if you will excuse my french, a pain in the ass for the team.
  • I don't have much speed control for what is such a slow team
All right guys, that about wraps it up. Please feel free to suggest changes for my team if you have any.
Thanks,
ong1324 (or Qplaz if you know me from PS)

Last edited:

BreloomMyHomie

Golden State Warriors Bandwagon Fan
This is gonna be a pretty short rate, because the team looks really solid. I like the fact that you added CB Tyranitar to kill Mega Manectrics and Raikous early game so that Volcanion can have an easier time. I read the end of your rate and yeah, Stealth Rocks seem to bother you a lot. I had this idea in the back of my mind, but what about Latias over Thundurus-I? Latias provides hazard removal in Defog, access to Healing Wish since your team hates status(as mentioned in the RMT), a great Scarf Keldeo check, and also has Grass coverage. I also would like to suggest Choice Scarf Jirachi>Bulky Jirachi. If you choose to replace Thundurus-I with Healing Wish Latias, I feel like Wish support is not needed. Furthermore, Scarf Jirachi is a great pivot that can switch into Gardevoir as well as check both it and Weavile. It also can lure in Landorus and Gliscor, two of Mega Heracross's checks, and go for an Ice Punch or Trick to cripple it.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock / Grass Knot
- Defog

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Heart Stamp / Ice Punch
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Trick

Hope I helped!

This is gonna be a pretty short rate, because the team looks really solid. I like the fact that you added CB Tyranitar to kill Mega Manectrics and Raikous early game so that Volcanion can have an easier time. I read the end of your rate and yeah, Stealth Rocks seem to bother you a lot. I had this idea in the back of my mind, but what about Latias over Thundurus-I? Latias provides hazard removal in Defog, access to Healing Wish since your team hates status(as mentioned in the RMT), a great Scarf Keldeo check, and also has Grass coverage. I also would like to suggest Choice Scarf Jirachi>Bulky Jirachi. If you choose to replace Thundurus-I with Healing Wish Latias, I feel like Wish support is not needed. Furthermore, Scarf Jirachi is a great pivot that can switch into Gardevoir as well as check both it and Weavile. It also can lure in Landorus and Gliscor, two of Mega Heracross's checks, and go for an Ice Punch or Trick to cripple it.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock / Grass Knot
- Defog

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Heart Stamp / Ice Punch
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Trick

Hope I helped!
Hi, thanks for the rate! I'll definitely switch to scarf Jirachi, and I'll give Latias a try. My only worry with Latias is that I'm losing my team's only speed control (and fast mon, although this is less of a problem bc scarf Jirachi) by getting rid of Thundurus. I'd like to know your thoughts on this. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)