NoobHereWaddup

Tri Attack will freeze
is a Tiering Contributor
1685415249820.png

Typing:
1685415256897.png
1685415260648.png

Base stats: HP 70 / Atk 135 / Def 95 / SpA 45 / SpD 70 / Spe 85
Abilities: Swarm / Sheer Force / Sharpness (HA)
Notable Moves:
- Stone Axe
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
- Defog
- Night Slash
- Swords Dance
- U-Turn
- X-Scissor
- Trailblaze

Pros:
- Kleavor's signature move, Stone Axe, allows it to attack its targets and set up Stealth Rock simultaneously, this allows Kleavor to set up Stealth Rock without being too passive and bypasses Hatterene's Magic Bounce, hurting teams that rely on it for hazard removal, Stone Axe can also potentially KO rapid spinners/defoggers while keeping Stealth Rock on the opposing side.
- Sharpness allows Kleavor to boost its already massive 135 base attack and deliver incredibly strong hits from moves such as X-Scissor, Night Slash, and the previously mentioned Stone Axe, this can be further boosted with Swords Dance
- Access to Defog + U-Turn can also allow Kleavor to have a small supportive role as a pivot with options to remove and set up hazards, Night Slash allows Kleavor to threaten non choice scarf Gholdengo.
- Access to set-up moves like Swords Dance and Trailblaze can turn Kleavor into a set-up sweeper

Cons:
- Kleavor's STAB combination is resisted by Fighting and Steel types, which leads to Kleavor struggling against popular Pokémon in the OU tier like Great Tusk, Iron Valiant and Gholdengo, as well as new threats such as Magearna, Zamazenta and Heatran.
- Moreover, Kleavor's typing gives it a weakness to Stealth Rock.
- Kleavor heavily relies on its coverage moves, which most of the times ends up with Kleavor having to leave certain coverage or supportive moves out of its moveset.

Terastalizing Options:
1685428160536.png
Fairy is not only a great defensive typing, but it also gives Kleavor access to a Fairy type Tera Blast, which it can use to deal with the Fighting types it heavily struggles with.
1685428171354.png
Steel gives Kleavor a great defensive typing that allows it to remove its weakness to Steel and Rock, which in turn also removes its Stealth Rock weakness
1685428178472.png
Fire prevents Kleavor from getting burnt and removes its weakness to Steel, but still has to be careful around Stealth Rocks and Water types.

Potential Sets
Choiced Attacker
Kleavor @ Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Ability: Sharpness
Tera Type: Steel/Fire/Fairy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Axe
- U-turn
- X-Scissor/Night Slash/Tera Blast
- Close Combat

- Choice Band boosts Kleavors huge 130 Attack Stat, while Choice Scarf allows Kleavor to have a maximum speed of 442,with this, it can outspeed almost every unboosted Pokémon in the metagame.
- Stone Axe allows Kleavor to set-up Stealth Rock while dishing out attacks, U-Turn can get Kleavor out of unfavorable matchups or pivot into its teammates. Close Combat gives Kleavor a way to hit Steel types.
- X-Scissor is a Bug Type move boosted by STAB and Sharpness, Night Slash is boosted by Sharpness and one of Kleavor's few options against Gholdengo, Tera Blast is better used with Tera Fairy for coverage against Fighting types.

Swords Dance Sweeper
Kleavor @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Steel/Fire
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Axe
- Close Combat
- Trailblaze/X-Scissor/Night Slash

- Trailblaze allows Kleavor to raise its Speed and further increase its chances of becoming a late game sweeper. Swords Dance boosts Kleavor's already high attack stat.
- X-Scissor for Bug STAB, Night Slash can be used for Gholdengo.
- Stone Axe is the standard Rock type STAB that Kleavor can easily abuse thanks to its capability to set up Stealth Rock.

Overall:
While Kleavor's Speed and typing don't really do wonders for it, it's still a Pokémon with 130 attack and a very useful ability in Sharpness, Stone Axe will almost never be a bad move to use and is one of the few defoggers that can threaten Gholdengo in some way, as it's faster and has access to Night Slash. Fighting types are a massive issue for Kleavor, as it gets nearly nothing to hit them for neutral damage and many Fighting types are faster than Kleavor, which leads to relatively easy KOs/Revenge KOs

edit: attachments were broken, oops,should be fixed now

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
tusk sucks really bad for kleavor, and its offensive profile feels fairly underwhelming given its pretty middling stab combination and how badly it matches up into the fighting-types/magearna and whatnot in this new metagame, so i feel band/sd are going to fall kinda short. i think you're most likely going to get the most value out of scarf since it improves kleavor's speed tier while playing well to its great immediate power with sharpness-boosted coverage (and, ofc, stone axe) and access to cc/u-turn

i think tera grass is a very viable tera for kleavor and may even be the best tera for SD sets. tera grass trailblaze can muscle through phys def great tusk and adds a ground resist (great for grounds like Lando-T!)

+2 252 Atk Tera Grass Kleavor Trailblaze (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 236-278 (54.3 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Tera Grass Kleavor Trailblaze (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 205-243 (48.8 - 57.8%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO

NoobHereWaddup

Tri Attack will freeze
is a Tiering Contributor
Aerial Ace also might be worth mentioning since it's also sharpness boosted and hits fighting types that resist its STABs.
dang i didnt even know it was boosted by sharpness, certainly helps kleavor but most likely still struggles against faster fighting types, which there are a lot now

Kleavor @ Life Orb / Heavy-Duty Boots / Something consumable
Tera Type: Bug / Fighting / Flying
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- X-Scissor
- Stone Axe
- Aerial Ace / Close Combat / Acrobatics

Absolutely zero experience theorymon. X-Scissor is its strongest attack, Stone Axe sets up Stealth Rock and has a very respectable BP after Sharpness (rivals Stone Edge in power with Rock Slide's accuracy), and I have no idea what to put in the last spot. Aerial Ace is your instant "Heck these Fighting-types" button and isn't item reliant, while Acrobatics is even stronger but requires you to lose your item to get boosted. Close Combat is just Close Combat. EVs outspeed neutral Eleki after a boost, could also run max speed or even a Jolly nature with more EV tampering to beat more Scarfers.

I haven't run any calcs to see if LO is really doing anything, I'm just an old player that likes it. HDB is self-explanatory on a mon weak to Rocks and not immune to any other hazards, and you could probably play Kleavor a little more aggressively in the early-/mid-game for Rock setting. Tera continues to confound me and at this point I'm mostly banking on an eventual Tera ban, but my thought process was "Nuclear STAB > best neutral coverage > hit Fighting-types that wall both STABs as hard as possible." There's probably a set that could concievably run Night Slash for Gholdengo.

Honestly one of the most dissapointing pokemon to come in with Home. Had high hopes for Kleavor but he sucks. Bad defensively and barely does any damage. Stone Axe is a nice gimmic but I could see this Mon in NU tbh.

Kleavor @ Focus Sash
Tera Type: Bug
Jolly Nature
- Stone Axe
- X-Scissor
- Night Slash/Aerial Ace
- Close Combat

This has been working for me pretty well as a Lead. It's just fast enough to get solid shots on alot of opposing leads and a movepool that, regardless of what you pick, is only resisted by 5 Pokemon.

If you go Aerial Ace you can at least do Neutral Damage to everything that isn't a Steel/Ghost (yes this means Gholdengo).
If you go Night Slash you can at least do Neutral Damage to everything that isn't Fighting/Poison or Fighting/Fairy (so Sneasler & Iron Valiant)

My guess is RU. It is strong and stone axe sets a hard floor for viability even if everything else is eh. I like it as a scarfer, it has respectable power and can accomplish something with stone axe even if you make the obvious play and just attack what’s in front of you without predicting.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)