Lana's Sprite Board

addon

smogon fangirl
New Project.png
Introduction

> Hello everyone! My name is Lana. This is my first real time every "creating" art, ever since I was a kid I never really did anything artsy or art related. The only thing I've ever picked up was being good with photoshop. I started using that around 7 years ago at this point and I'm glad I did because It's helped me with a lot of things that I would have had to pay for (I am a broke high school senior). I'll keep updating this thread as a passion project as time goes on and I get more and more used to the forum! For this first post I'll go in the same order as I created them in hopes of getting either feedback on my progression. (or compliments I don't mind either LOL) Also this is my first post ever, I tried my best to format this and make it all cool, I like spending time and doing stuff like this, it's nice on the eyes.

Usage
> If anyone viewing this post would like to use one of the following sprites for their own Showdown avatar, all you need to do is let me know before-hand and credit me where necessary! I'm very approachable and I'm practically always connected to something whether that be here on Smogon, or on Discord (username: midteen). That's another reason why I'm making this post, I'm not nearly talented enough to use these on my own Showdown account, but I hope some of you who are, or who can will be able to find the same enjoyment as I did creating them!
Information
> I have absolutely zero intentions of monetizing this. I don't feel like I'm good enough to where I can actually charge people, and even if I do become good enough, I think it's best I don't monetize this. With that being said, if you have an idea that is cool enough, or you earned the chance to have a Custom Avatar and you have something in mind let me know and I'll make it for free even if you aren't eligible for a Custom Avatar under two conditions! First condition is that I must like your idea. Second condition, if I don't think I can create it, or if I think I would mess it up, I will reject it. Since I'm not going to be taking any payments for anything like this for the foreseeable and indefinite future, the only thing that I ask is that I get credit! I don't know if I'm allowed to take requests on this board specifically, but if I am you can leave any requests under this post and I'll respond when I have time. If I'm not allowed to do that, you can always reach me through my discord, my username is @midteen.

lance + bidoof.png
rollerskater + plusle.png
guzma + flygon.png
supernerd + rayquaza resprite.png
roxie + meloetta resprites.png
blackbelt + banded slaking.png
volo resprite + darkrai.png
wally masters + marshadow-z.png
lucio.png
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lance and Bidoof ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎
lance + bidoof.png

> This is the first ever sprite I created, It's the original Lance sprite from the Pokémon
games with the Bidoof sprite added in front of him. This was just testing the waters,
the main objective of creating this one was to get a feel for how the proportions of the
Pokémon sprites align or play in with the trainer sprites. Also it's really silly so why not!

Rollerskater and Plusle‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎
rollerskater + plusle.png

> This is the second sprite I created, and with this one I was experimenting with two
things. Firstly, I wanted to establish a sense of importance in the image, in the case
it's the Plusle. I learned that it's really easy to establish this whenever a sprite is looking
in a certain direction, and it makes the Pokémon really pop out. Secondly, I experimenting
with matching sprite palettes between the Pokémon and the Trainer. Although a bit simple,
I really like this one!

Credits: Kyledove (Rollerskater)

Guzma and Flygon‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎
guzma + flygon.png

> Up next, Guzma and Flygon! I really wanted to create one with Flygon since it's such an
amazing Pokémon, but I had a really hard time figuring out what trainer sprite I should use.
Ultimately I chose Guzma, because he's cool, but also because he had glasses. Initially Flygon
was going to be with a Magma Grunt because the glasses seemed to fit, but after giving Guzma
a new pair of glasses to match Flygon's I think they look swag. With this one, I wanted to make to
play around with depth, so I made Flygon's tail go in front of Guzma, while his wing and the rest
of his body is just chilling behind him.

Credits: Gnomowladny (Guzma)

Supernerd and Robot Rayquaza‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎
supernerd + rayquaza resprite.png

> God this one is so funny, in the original sprite for this one it's the Supernerd controlling a
robot Pikachu, and I decided that I wanted to scale it up to the max. Around this time I started
to develop continuity in the art that I make, and I also learned to grab aspects from anything
in a sprite that I remove and reintegrate them into the design, for example the color scheme of
Rayquaza and also the little antena on him.

Roxie and Meloetta and Meloetta Again‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎
roxie + meloetta resprites.png

> BAM, two Pokémon. That's the main gimmick for this one. I just wanted to play around
with what the "limit" is and I think I learned that around here. It really can vary, but I want
to say it's around 3 small Pokémon, 2 medium sized Pokémon, and 1 large Pokémon. This one
is cool, initially it was going to be just one Meloetta with both of Roxie's colors on it, but after
doing a lot of testing, it just looked really bad. After incorporating the other Meloetta, it looks
way better.

Blackbelt and Choice Band Slaking‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎
blackbelt + banded slaking.png

> This was the second time I actually drew on the board, most of the time before this
it was just recoloring pre-existing sprites, but here I actually drew the two choice bands.
For the most part, I really like how this turned out, it was different, and I really like the
details that I added on the band itself. Around here, I started adopting the notion of
"If I wouldn't have it as my avatar, I'm not going to save it." I think it's important to
hold myself to a standard, and not just pump out things to pump them out. After this
one, each of the following ones took more time than the last, and I hope that it shows.

Volo and Darkrai‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎
volo resprite + darkrai.png

> God what do I even say about this one. It's actually fucking peak. I love what I did with
it so much. My favorite character, with my favorite Pokémon, and the way they compliment
each other so perfectly. This is by far my favorite one, I would actually kill to use this one while
playing on the ladder. I had a vision of what this would look like before I actually went on and
created it, and it looks way better than I envisioned. Like I said with the last one, if I don't think
something I create looks good, I will scrap it. This one took me around an hour to get right and
the final result was so worth it.

Credits: Brumirage (Volo)

Wally and Marshadow-Zenith ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎
wally masters + marshadow-z.png

> This one was actually created for a friend of mine. I really love how it came out. I really love
the concept of a trainer matching styles with it's Pokemon. It really allows for endless possibilities
when it comes to creating new sprites, and it really adds more story to a image. The reason I chose
to go with Wally here is because their poses were similar and Wally is the coolest rival. This coupled
with has sick the Marshadow sprite looks, just create a really nice combo.

Credits: Kyledove (Wally-Master)

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎leParagon (Marshadow-Zenith)

Lucio and Cinderace ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎
lucio.png

> This one was the first one that I went all out. I went full custom on this one, and combined two
of the coolest characters I knew. Lucio from Overwatch and Cinderace. This was the first time I had
to use a reference for designing Lucio, but for the most part, I think it came out very good. I want to
give a quick thanks to Kyledove, after having a chat with him I learned a lot of things that I will apply
to my future work. I'm extremely happy with how this came out, for the most part, Cinderace already
matched Lucio's colors besides the the orange I had to replace. It's hard to see because it's small, but
I also added a really subtle gradient on Cinderace which adds a super nice touch. This is the ninth sprite
I've added my own spin on, and I hope there are many more to come!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)