Landorus Smash

Not really my best team imo, but it's gotten some great battles and wins pretty easily. Though some things could be swapped out, notably Mismagius, everything serves its own purpose. This team is designed primarily around Landorus, who in my opinion has its perks over Excadrill - Sand Force boosting Earthquake and Stone Edge while still maintaining a decent speed stat, HP Ice to surprise Gliscor (though I didn't utilize that but might...), better bulk and less weaknesses - and I tried to capitalize on it. Though Landorus is the main focus, everyone else can sweep (barring Hippowodon and Ferrothorn) if the time is right.
Important note: this team was made before Hippowodon went to UU.

Hippowodon @ Leftovers.
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Impish 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
-Stealth Rock
-Roar
-Earthquake
-Slack Off

Hippowodon's main purpose is to bring out Sand Storm to boost Landorus's power, as well as lay out Stealth Rock to ensure some KOs. Earthquake hits reasonably hard, and can allow Hippowodon to act as a last minute check to some threats like Lucario, Excadrill, and Infernape. Roar helps to rack up damage to ensure some KOs and get rid of stat boosts the opponent may have. Slack Off goes without saying, since not only will it keep Hippowodon healthy, it will help against opposing weather wars. Hippowodon's only problem is being worn down by Spikes and Toxic Spikes, and being taunt bait, but it is a fantastic physical wall.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid 252 SpA / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice
-Volt Switch

A fantastic revenge killer, many threats that would try to use Hippowodon as set up bait like Gyarados can be taken out by this little guy, while only one weakness is easily taken care of. Hidden Power Ice is used because it takes out many Ice weak Pokemon with ease like Dragonite, while in the case of some threats that are weak to both Ice and Water, it's a safe move in general to use, and it's also never seen coming. Hydro Pump is fairly strong without a boosting item or nature and wrecks any ground types trying to take a TBolt or Volt Switch. Not named Gastrodon or Swampert anyway. Volt Switch and TBolt are great Electric moves to be used, and the reason for both is because Volt Switch misses on some KOs and I don't feel the need to use Trick on certain pokemon. Rotom also gives some great resistances needed for this team like the ground immunity, water, ice and fire resistances and it can help turn a battle in my favor thanks the Scarf.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Naive 64 Atk / 192 SpA / 252 Spe
-Close Combat
-Fire Blast
-Hidden Power Ice
-Grass Knot

Infernape is meant to help Landorus in sweeping by taking out walls like Skarmory and Ferrothorn (assuming I can't get up my Spikes or anything else like this). 64 Atk EVs mean Blissey will be OHKO'd by Close Combat after SR damage, while Max Speed is needed to tie with the other 108s. The rest is put into SpA to power up the rest of the moves, as this set is more specially based than the one on the site. Fire Blast is the main STAB move here really, providing an overall reliable move that takes out Steel types with and being complemented by CC. Hidden Power Ice allows Infernape to take out Dragonite lacking Extremespeed after Stealth Rock and all standard variants of Salamence, and has the bonus of luring in Gliscor. Additionally, HP Ice allows infernape to take out enemy Landorus. Grass Knot takes out Swampert after Stealth Rock and Spikes damage, as well as Gastrodon, which is important since both can trouble Landorus during its sweep.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Sassy 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpDef
0 Speed IV
-Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Gyro ball

Ferrothorn is a fantastic tank, and complements Hippowodon well with Spikes, Water and Grass resistances, and its ability to deal with Drizzle teams with ease. Another perk is that Ferrothorn can come in most threats that threaten the rest of the team out. The EVs help balance out its defenses a bit, with an emphasis on special defense for the dragons, Drizzle teams, and to an extent, Hail teams (though they are very rare). Spikes help ensure KOs for Landorus such as the OHKO with +2 Sand Force Boosted Earthquake with SR and 3 layers of Spikes on opposing Ferrothorn. Leech Seed keeps the team alive and Ferrothorn itself. Power Whip is great in a metagame practically dominated by Water types and hits hard even with no Attack investment. Gyro Ball hits equally hard on the likes of Salamence, Haxorus and even Dragonite as well as other low speed pokemon.

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid 252 SpA / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
-Nasty Plot
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Fighting

An odd choice, since it's hampered by sand storm, and needs to set up in order to hit stuff hard. However, Mismagius is still capable of holding its own even in OU, and it also works as a decent spin blocker, since hazards are a bit key to this team. Starmie can't OHKO with Hydro Pump unless Mismagius has taken a bit of damage and might even flee from STAB Shadow Ball, Tentacruel can't take repeated Thunderbolts especially boosted ones and also can't do much in return, while Forretress is played around with prediction. Mismagius is my second main sweeper and is unique in that it does not require weather to work and can work well against opposing weather teams, while not adding any weaknesses and even covering some for the team. Nasty Plot is a fantastic boosting move, and is why Mismagius makes for a potent threat. Shadow Ball is a good STAB move in general and also gives me a way of dealing with Reuniculus, who is a threat in general. Thunderbolt goes well with Shadow Ball and helps deal with water types. Hidden Power Fighting provides perfect coverage by dealing with Tyranitar, and other Dark types, as well as Steel types.

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Force
Nature: Jolly 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-U-Turn

The star of the show. Landorus is a great physical sweeper in this metagame and as mentioned before, has his merits over Excadrill, such as not being weak to Mach Punch and having respectable bulk. After a Swords Dance, not much can take Earthquake without taking a huge dent. However, this team tries to utilize Landorus late game rather than mid or early on, which is why Spikes play a role. Stone Edge complements Earthquake incredibly well and thanks to Sand Force, it gets a nice boost. U-Turn seems odd, but it allows Landorus to scout early game, get momentum in my favor and goes well with Rotom-W's Volt Switch, while also helping to wear down the team. While HP Ice isn't a bad choice in case Rotom and Infernape fail to take out Gliscor - which they never do, especially Rotom -, it's not quite needed since Landorus can maintain its decent bulk and also utilize U-Turn's scouting abilities.
------------------------------------------------------
closing thoughts:
It's a well made team in my opinion, but this team can actually draw out battles quite a bit. While I can swap out Hippowodon for TTar to maintain a more offensive team, Hippowodon's ability to take on threats that trouble this team is key. However, if there are any ideas on what Mismagius could be swapped out for, that would be appreciated. It doesn't do badly, but it kinda feels off. A big problem is that after Rotom and Ferrothorn go down, the rest of the team is at the mercy of opposing Drizzle teams because they can't deal well with them, and because half of this team is Water weak. Other changes might be a different EV spread on Infernape, CM on Mismagius if it stays, or anything else. thank you for reading this

u-turn w/ sd? Hmm...
You should change Landorus set
''SubLandorus''
Landorus (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Swords Dance

This Landorus is able to muscle it's way through Skarmory and Bronzong, smack down nullifies levitate and flying type, in order for you to kill them with earthquake, sublandorus is a bitch for many teams, find some chance to sub (which also make prediction more easy) and start weak the enemy for an easyer lategame sweep
Now then you say that mismagius is kinda the weak spot huh? You're kinda right, but for me you can try a better replacement for infernape too, let's see
Considered Terrakion over infernape? Terrakion has the same landorus' checks and counters so one of the two can weaken them (gliscor for example) and the other can muscle it's way
I would like to suggest you the rock gem variant for gliscor

''Rock Gem Terrakion''
Terrakion @ Rock Gem Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish

after a sd thanks to rock gem even gliscor will be scared to face you

to top it of how about subdisablegar>mismagius?

''Subdisablegar''

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

this gengar can help you cover some weakness, like say... terrakion, reuniclus opposing gliscor (who may be troublesome if rotom-w died) and others.
Otherwise good team and good luck

Yay someone that doesn't use Excadrill all the time. I really like this team.
Thundurus instead of Mismagius and thundurus can run Nasty plot aswell.
Why not try Sub SD Landorus? It can save you from status affects and
with SD it can do alot of damage, having U-turn is a bit redundant on Landrous because you are losing the SD boost, since you are Jolly why not try HP ice it can OHKO fellow Landorus and get's Lead Roserade and can cause Gliscor a lot of problems. Good luck with your team.

Use Mach Punch on Infernape for opposing Sand when they drop Excadrill you'll pop his Balloon and then some. Don't use Rock Gem Terrakion >.>

Thanks for the comments guys.
@ dregstr: yeah that could work, since I usually need to play around balloon. However since this infernape is more specially than physically based, I'm thinking Vacuum Wave would be better.
@ RhyssaFireheart: Thundurus? Though the rock weakness is no problem at all, I don't want to stack up on the Ice weakness, even if most Ice users are water types. It's not a bad idea though. SubSD Landorus, been really interesting to me. Roserade isn't problem at all really.
@The Silent Storm: I've seen Smack Down work really well so maybe that can work. However, since most Gyarados switch in after I SD, Stone Edge gets the KO easily and its an easy way to take it out. Still, very enticing. I'm not too keen on Terrakion, though at +1 SpDef, it can live some SE hits so that's a perk but I really don't want to stack upon weaknesses. Rock Gem however...that's VERY interesting, never seen it. SubDisable Gengar could work with the entry hazards and since some Reuniculus only run Psychic and Focus Blast as attacking options.

Holy shit! A sand team that is not a pile of standardness with big drips of even more standarness oozing out of it. And it has Mismagius! Now if only you had Masquerain instead of Ferrothorn...
Seriously, I don't get why people post these standard sandstorm teams here and then even get huge amounts of praise for it. Just don't get it. This is a really nice team and since I don't know what I'm talking about I can't give many suggestions, but I agree that Smack Down Landorus would be a better option, you got Rotom to take care of Gyarados anyway.
I'd replace T-bolt on Mismagius with Substitute. It lets you dodge Sucker Punch, set up on all that wall stuff that can't do anything except use status moves and all that good stuff. T-bolt doesn't have much use anyway, Jellicent is handled with Shadow Ball and Vaporeon...well, really nothing will be excited about taking a +2 Shadow Ball.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)