move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Heal Bell / Surf
item: Leftovers
ability: Water Absorb
nature: Calm
evs: 96 HP / 160 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Lapras is a great defensive answer to several key Pokémon in UU, most notably Life Orb Milotic and Calm Mind Mismagius. This set also checks Azumarill locked into a Water move nicely, as well as Calm Minding Slowbro. Lapras accomplishes most of this by using Roar or Perish Song to force stat-uppers to switch out. Roar is generally preferred as Lapras has to switch in and out less often when using it, while Perish Song is better in a last-Pokémon situation. It also is slightly more effective against Baton Pass teams.</p>

<p>Thunderbolt is Lapras's biggest advantage over other Waters; it allows Lapras the ability to do significant damage to Milotic, Azumarill, and Slowbro. Ice Beam is Lapras's best STAB move as it allows Lapras to check random Pokémon like Crobat; it is also useful to deter Torterra and Shaymin who may want to switch in on Lapras. Heal Bell provides Lapras with another means to support its teammates; while Stealth Rock makes it hard to switch in Lapras repeatedly it is still bulky enough to spend a turn ridding a team of status afflictions. Surf is useful to more easily deter the likes of Rampardos and Rhydon, though they don't like STAB Ice Beam very much anyway.</p>

<p>The EVs are tailored to countering Mismagius; after a Calm Mind, Mismagius will never 2HKO Lapras with Hidden Power Fighting or Shadow Ball, even factoring in Stealth Rock. Even then, Mismagius almost always Substitutes on the switch first. This makes Perish Songing much safer.</p>

<p>Wish and / or Rapid Spin support is recommended for Lapras so it can come in repeatedly and phaze away stat uppers as they get worn down by Lapras's attacks; though switching into random Water attacks can help with this somewhat. Lapras is giong to be luring out strong Fighting and Grass attackers, so this makes Crobat a great defensive pair with Lapras. Crobat can also Taunt leads trying to set up Stealth Rock, which will help Lapras stay alive a little longer. Rock and Electric attacks can be absorbed by a Ground type of choice, such as Claydol. Nidoqueen makes an ideal defensive pair with Lapras, however, since it resists 3 of Lapras's 4 main weaknesses. </p>

[Other Options]
<!-- addendum for perish tank set-->
<p>Whirlpool can be combined with Perish Song to act as a psuedo-Perish Trap combination, but Whirlpool has imperfect accuracy and isn't guaranteed to last the entirety of Perish Song's duration.</p>

Sorry if I miss the point of this set, but wouldnt Roar be better than Perish Song?

Roar lets Lapras stay in rather than forcing its self to switch out, which is just an all around bad idea because of its Stealth Rock Weakness.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Roar is nice, but is useless against the last Pokemon, while Perish Song is not. I guess I can rework the set to make Roar a slash though.

Roar is nice, but is useless against the last Pokemon, while Perish Song is not. I guess I can rework the set to make Roar a slash though.
I guess it depends what your aiming for, because Lapras switching out and in is not a good thing still with a SR weakness.

I think it should be renamed at least :O

Things to do:
*Expand last paragraph.

[SET]
name: Perish Song Tank
move 1: Perish Song
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Heal Bell / Surf
item: Leftovers
ability: Water Absorb
nature: Calm
evs: 96 HP / 160 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Lapras is a great defensive answer to several key Pokémon in UU, most notably Life Orb Milotic and Calm Mind Mismagius. This set also checks Azumarill locked into a Water move nicely because of Water Absorb, as well as Calm Minding Slowbro. The key to most of this is the psuedo-phazing move Perish Song; Lapras can use it to force stat uppers to switch out or faint.</p>

<p>Thunderbolt is Lapras's biggest advantage over other Waters; it allows Lapras the ability to do significant damage to opposing Milotic, Azumarill, and Slowbro. Ice Beam is Lapras's best STAB move as it allows Lapras to check (remove: random) Pokémon like Crobat; it is also useful to deter Torterra and Shaymin who may want to switch in on Lapras. Heal Bell provides Lapras with another means to support its teammates; while Stealth Rock makes it hard to switch in Lapras repeatedly, it is still bulky enough to spend a turn ridding a team of status afflictions. Surf is useful to more easily deter the likes of Rampardos and Rhydon, though they don't like STAB Ice Beam very much anyway.</p>

<p>The EVs are tailored to countering Mismagius; after a Calm Mind, Mismagius will never 2HKO Lapras with Hidden Power Fighting, even factoring in Stealth Rock. Even then, Mismagius almost always Substitutes on the switch first, which makes Perish Song a safe option to use.

<p>Wish and / or Rapid Spin support is recommended for Lapras so it can come in repeatedly and Perish Song away stat uppers as they get worn down by Lapras's attacks; though switching into(remove: random) Water attacks can help with this somewhat. (remove: _) Lapras is going to be luring out strong Fighting and Grass attackers, so this makes Crobat a great defensive pair with Lapras. Crobat can also Taunt leads trying to set up Stealth Rock, which will help Lapras stay alive a little longer. Rock and Electric attacks can be absorbed by a Ground type of your choice, such as Claydol. Nidoqueen makes an ideal defensive pair with Lapras (remove: , however,) since it resists 3 of Lapras's 4 main weaknesses. </p>
Not bad. The wording was a little weird.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I suggest adding Whirlpool as an option as it can act as a Psuedo- Mean Look.
A lot of what Lapras will be Perish Songing he'll be switching out of before Turn 1 of Perish Song, and the aim of this set isn't actually to kill anybody with the move unless it's the last poke. Set Comments / OO maybe.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I suggest adding Whirlpool as an option as it can act as a Psuedo- Mean Look.
This would be a great idea if Whirlpool was guaranteed to last long enough to Perish Trap :(. It might be worth a mention though.

Also I have to agree with heysup, since Lapras is going to be taking 50% just from trying to come in to phaze twice, not even including the damage it takes while PSong is stalling out, I would have to say that Roar is definitely a better option. Phazing Lapras is a neat idea, you just picked the wrong move to do it with. I would rather use Haze Milotic or Altaria than Perish Song Lapras tbh. Leave PSong as a slash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)