Other Metagames Let's Go Crazy - A Flying Monotype RMT

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Rest in peace Prince. ;~;

Hello everyone, it's me BrandonBeast back with a new RMT, and my first Monotype one at that! Now I gotta say, Monotype is one of the most unique and fun tiers I have ever played, and I've really grown attached to it, as you can do a lot of cool stuff with the teams, especially since they have to be one type! Now while Flying may be considered an "OP" type by some players, it's personally my favorite type because some of my favorite mons (Hawlucha, Articuno, etc.) are on it, and it's a really effective type to use because of all the awesome mons on it! So this is a Flying team I made about a month ago, around an underrated threat in Hawlucha, and it's been pretty successful, peaking at it's highest at about mid-1500s in the ladder and being pretty successful in roomtours as well, even winning some of them! So I hope you enjoy, and let's go crazy!

The Squad:

StraightOuttaMexico (Hawlucha) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics

This is the mon I built the team around, Hawlucha. Hawlucha is a really nice mon on Flying teams as it provides a reliable win condition late-game, and it also is really effective against Fighting and Normal teams, specificially Normal teams, as sometimes the bulky mons on there and the offensive potential of those builds can be a bit much for Flying to handle. Basically, if Hawlucha can get a free Substitute in (You do this by setting up on a predicted switch, or use the power of the hax gods to make that Mega Medicham miss that Zen Headbutt, haha!), and then you set up a Swords Dance, Sub up again, Unburden activates, and then (hopefully) you sweep with Hawlucha's amazing dual STABs. It also outspeeds a lot of mons even unboosted thanks to it's 118 Speed. Hawlucha does have some problems, such as being walled by some mons on certain types, such as Zapdos on Electric and Flying, Slowbro on Water and Psychic, and Doublade on Steel and Ghost, but with these threats removed, Hawlucha can really get rolling once set up, and it's one of the most underrated offensive mons on Flying imo.

Gajeel (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head

Skarmory provides the team with a physical wall to stop threats such as Diggersby and Cloyster from hurting my team, and provides the Stealth Rocker. Skarmory is a staple on Flying for this reason, being able to phaze out opponents, chipping them down, which really helps Hawlucha late-game. There's not really much to say about Skarmory; basically everyone knows what it does, I guess you can go with some more speed investment to outrun stuff, or Brave Bird > Iron Head for like Fighting I guess, but Iron Head's pretty awesome to check Mega Diancie and other Fairies and also hurts Ice teams.

Laxus (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

Zapdos completes the defensive SkarmDos core of the team, and adds a special wall and is our team's Defogger. It helps a lot against special attackers on teams like Water, as without Zapdos, stuff like Keldeo could become massive problems. Like Skarmory, there isn't much to say about Zapdos, I guess I could say you could run Heat Wave over Toxic if you want to hit stuff like Ferrothorn, but I like Toxic to wear down Ground-types, especially Swamperts. Overall, Zapdos is a really awesome and important part of the team and I'm glad to have it on here!

Umbra Genie (Landorus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Rock Slide

Landorus adds a powerful special wallbreaker to the team, and helps with a lot of playstyles, like Fire, Steel, and Fairy. A ton of teams don't have a very reliable switchin to this thing, and it helps break down walls like Slowbro to help out Hawlucha. I chose Rock Slide in the last slot in order to OHKO Charizard-Y and Volcarona, which could otherwise be big threats to the team. Focus Blast is also chosen over Psychic to pose the biggest threat to Steel-types, hitting Skarmory and Air Balloon Heatran. It's a bit hard to get it in safely, but once it is in, Landorus is definitely bound to hurt a team!

Zeus (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave

Thundurus is basically the offensive utility of the team, adding more offensive presence against teams like Water and adding paralysis support, which is useful against Scarfers like Victini. I went with Knock Off on Thundy to Knock Off Eviolites on Normal teams, which is useful if you can't just sweep with Hawlucha. An option on this set is HP Grass over HP Ice as this set draws in Swampert, whose Mega could be very threatening to the team. Basically Thundurus is a really cool mon on this team, and I'm happy to have it on!

SUNNY DAYS (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Mega Charizard-Y finishes off the team by adding a Mega that can wallbreak for Hawlucha, and most importantly helps against Steel and Water teams. (Especially Water Rain teams, as it can really mess with them if used correctly) It finishes off the offensive presence of the team, and as a result with all the defensive and offensive support the team has, it can pave a way for an easy late-game Hawlucha sweep if things go right.

Ice teams: Ice teams can be a real pain for this team to go against, as Skarmory is heavily pressured to take on the physical threats the Ice team has, and if it's set up, mixed SS Cloyster 6-0es the team if Sturdy on Skarm is gone. It's still beatable however, due to Skarmory's awesomeness as a physical wall and Hawlucha doing stuff to them, as well as Zard-Y doing stuff.

Water teams, especially Rain: Water teams can be really annoying for this team to face, but Rain ones are the absolute WORST. Mega Swampert's only answer on this team is Skarmory and Zard-Y getting the Sun up, and Politoed can still stop the Sun with relative ease, so you must either get Unburden up with Hawlucha and get +2 in Attack, or kill Toed, otherwise the team is basically destroyed by them.

Gravity Ground teams: If Gravity Landorus sets up Gravity, the team is totally destroyed as basically everyone dies to an Earth Power from this thing. However, Thundurus beats Lando with HP Ice, so we have a bit of a check to it.

Victini: Victini basically gets a kill everytime it comes in, which is no bueno, especially as Scarf variants outspeed everyone on this team. My counterplay against it is to Thunder Wave it with Thundurus and hope for the best with Landorus and Hawlucha, but it's still a massive pain for the team to handle.

StraightOuttaMexico (Hawlucha) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics

Gajeel (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head

Laxus (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

Umbra Genie (Landorus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Rock Slide

Zeus (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave

SUNNY DAYS (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

So yeah, that's my Flying team! While Flying is sometimes negatively seen from the community, I still think it's an amazingly fun type with a lot of cool mons in it, and this has been a really fun team to play around with, and Monotype has been a super awesome metagame to play as well, and I'm really sure I'll stick around! I hope you all like it!

And as always...

meatwad_dancing.gif
Keep on Dancing
meatwad_dancing.gif

Also because Flying team....
upload_2016-4-23_22-32-8.png

Fly Fly Fly Fly

Last edited:

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Really Cool Team and good showcase of how good Hawlucha can be on Flying teams. I just have 1 minor change because the team is pretty solid when I tested it out.
Nasty Plot or Taunt>Knock Off when I tested the team I found few opportunities where knock off would be beneficial(The major one was vs Normal vs Eviolite twins ,but Hawlucha breaks the core pretty easily combined with a Toxic Zapdos). Nasty Plot is for breaking Psyshic Teams apart late game that this team would normally have trouble doing. Nasty Plot is also handy for breaking Flying and Fairy teams as well which are a minor issue to this team. Taunt is good for stopping bulkier teams from wish passing and recovering. Also it helps by preventing certain setup sweepers set up making the Zapdos+Skarmory core that much harder to break and it also can prevent Stealth Rocks from being put up making Zapdos' job a little bit easier by taking of some of the stress of removing Stealth Rocks.
Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Nasty Plot/Taunt
- Thunder Wave
Really enjoyed this RMT and Good Luck with The Team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)