SM NU Let's talk about Terrains in the lower tiers, feat. Misty Seed Sceptile in NU

Introduction

I've always been interested in seeing and using Terrains in the lower tiers. Since no one else is talking about it, I decided to bring it here. I decided to make a Misty Terrain (MT) team in the NU tier because MT has two Prankster setters in Meowstic and Whimsicott, the latter getting access to it recently through USUM Egg Moves. I wanted the team to focus around Unburden Sceptile, the supposed "Hawlucha of the lower tiers." The Treecko line has been my favorite line of Unburden mons since gen 5, so I really wanted to make a decent enough team that it could shine in.

The Team

Adventurer (Sceptile) (M) @ Misty Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Acrobatics
- Drain Punch
Since gen 7 introduced the Terrain Seeds, Unburden mons now have an even faster item to activate their ability than the previously used Power Herb, White Herb, or Normal Gem. Sceptile is easily my favorite out of all the Unburden mons because, like Hawlucha, it has access to Swords Dance and Acrobatics, as well as Drain Punch, but unlike Hawlucha, it's grounded, so it can't be burned or paralyzed during the turns MT is up. There is no need for investment in Speed for a base 120 Unburden mon to outspeed almost the entire NU tier. The only two mons that can still outspeed and threaten this Scept are Speed Boost Ninjask and Scarf Final Gambit Accelgor. The rest of the EVs may be invested into either Def or HP. Misty Seed will boost SpD after all. I invested in Def so I'd get more % recovery from Drain Punch.
Considerations
Rock Slide may be used over Drain Punch to hit certain Flyers and Fire-types, but then the set would be walled by Steel-types. Alternatively, it may be used over Acrobatics for less base power but slightly more coverage.

Old Yuanxian (Whimsicott) (F) @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Misty Terrain
- Memento
- U-turn
- Defog Encore
Since Whimsicott learns MT now, I thought I'd use it as the primary setter because it can set MT the first turn, and immediately Memento or U-Turn out to Sceptile, and protect it from status for the maximum 7 turns. Memento will fail against Dark-types, so it's a blessing that Whimsi gets U-turn as well. I also stuck in Defog, not for Rocks, Spikes, or even T-Spikes, but mainly Sticky Web, which would bother Scept and Lycanroc-Midnight. Since no one is running Web in NU at the moment, I'm running Encore instead, which helps lock phasers out of their phasing move long enough for Scept to set up.
Considerations
I may go with Rock Helmet over Terrain Extender just to chip away at Steelix and Incineroar and to punish faster U-turners, I'm also considering Encore over either Memento or Defog as per one opponent's suggestion. Finally, I may go with Moonblast over Memento to have just a bit more Special presense. Although right now, I can at least bluff that I have it, just in case.

Mewfeuille (Meowstic) @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Misty Terrain
- Psychic
Meowstic-M has been able to learn MT since its introduction in gen 6, but I never thought of using MT on it until the Terrain Seeds arrived. Its most popular function before gen 7 was setting dual screens with Prankster. I used to use it as the primary MT setter before USUM egg moves, but now I'm using it as the secondary setter for Scept, in case something happens to Whimsicott before I set up the Terrain. Dual screens may also help Scept safely set up to +4 or +6.
Considerations
I considered running Signal Beam over Psychic just to hit Darks, but I rarely found the occasion to attack with this mon anyway. I might test out Heal Bell as well, maybe with Normalium Z for survivability. The extra screen turns are too good to pass up though.

Zerozaki (Lycanroc-Midnight) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Naughty Nature
- Stone Edge
- Iron Tail
- Zen Headbutt
- Stomping Tantrum Earth Power
There are many mons a +2 Sceptile still can't hurt too hard, for example Flying types like Golbat and Braviary, so I wanted a more reliable way to weaken or take out those threats. And by "reliable," I mean "does not miss a Stone Edge." Lycanroc-Midnight takes care of the Flyers, and weakens common physically defensive walls without reliable recovery like Steelix or Quilfish, so Scept can pick them off later.
Edit: I have no idea why I had Stomping Tantrum when Earth Power does considerably more to Steelix, which was basically the only mon I needed ground coverage for anyway. Zen Headbutt does more to Poison-types after all. To put them into perspective, Earth Power is a solid 4HKO on Steelix, while Stomping Tantrum had a 17.5% chance to 4HKO. That's pretty bad.

Considerations
It was originally Lycanium Z with Rock Polish over Zen Headbutt, but I still felt threatened by Scarf Braviary's Superpower before I could set up, so I switched it to Scarf. I might switch back to the Rock Polish set if I see less of Scarf Braviary in the future. I'm getting kind of attached to Scarf 4 attacks though.

Cocytus (Piloswine) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
Piloswine is a common Stealth Rock setter, and is also used to weaken or take out mons like Steelix and Xatu. It also deals with the aforementioned Ninjask and Accelgor relatively well with Stealth Rock and Ice Shard.
Considerations
There's not much to improve this mon, moveset-wise. It does its job really well. Maybe if I knew a more optimized stat spread, it could take certain hits better while maintaining its damage output.

Liquor (Jellicent) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
Will-O-Wisp and Scald may be contrary to an MT team, but I figured I shouldn't set up MT until I'm ready to set up an SD and sweep with Scept. Until then, I may be able to cripple potential offensive threats that could otherwise destroy my team. The Speed EVs are enough to outspeed up to neutral 252 Speed base 45s as well as base 75s with just a bit of investment like defensive Garbodor.
Considerations
I'm now considering replacing either this mon or Meowstic w/ the new Intimidate Incineroar. I'd want to keep Taunt, Will-O-Wisp, and the Timid Speed investment, and go for U-turn to have a sort of pivot core with Whimsi. Maybe have Flamethrower or Fire Blast as the last move to keep some special presence. Maybe invest the remaining EVs in HP and SpD. I don't know if it's a better idea than keeping Jellicent though. I may replace Meowstic with it instead. Just a consideration.

Conclusion

My ultimate hope for this team is that it shows off Unburden Sceptile well. If anyone has any suggestions, including more optimized EV spreads, please let me know. If anyone wants to share a replay of the general Terain Seed Unburden strategy working in UU or below, please let me know too. I was also thinking of replacing one of the MT setters with either Incineroar or another offensive mon, but I can't decide which setter is more useful, so I'm keeping both for now. I also know it's not a good idea to rely on a single setter, as with manual weather and trick room teams. Anyone who's familiar with the NU tier, please guide me! Cheers!

1) Phasers - I'm always fearing Roar on Steelix, or Dragon Tail on Druddigon, but I don't have much to lure them in aside from 1st turn leading with Piloswine and attacking in place of exchanging Rocks.
2) SD Incineroar - My answer to a physical Fire-type that I can't use Memento on is sacrificing a low HP mon, safely bringing in Jellicent to avoid it Drain Punching its health back, and weakening it with Scald before going down to two Darkest Lariats. Then I immediately set up MT w/ Whimsi, sacrificing it as well to a Flare Blitz, and finally pick it off with Sceptile's neutral Drain Punch. Then I may have a chance to SD on the next mon. That's clearly not a sound strategy. I may also be able to force it out by bluffing Moonblast on Whimsi, as one replay shows, but I doubt it'll always happen like that.

Adventurer (Sceptile) (M) @ Misty Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Acrobatics
- Drain Punch

Old Yuanxian (Whimsicott) (F) @ Terrain Extender
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Misty Terrain
- Memento
- U-turn
- Encore

Mewfeuille (Meowstic) @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Misty Terrain
- Psychic

Zerozaki (Lycanroc-Midnight) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Stone Edge
- Iron Tail
- Zen Headbutt
- Earth Power

Cocytus (Piloswine) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash

Liquor (Jellicent) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)