SM OU Lightning Hurricane - Rain + Electric Terrain Hyper Offense

My team uses rain and electric terrain together in a hyper offensive playstyle. I use koko and pelliper as pivots to my offensive pokemon. I also use Hawlucha to round out some coverage on my team and create a second win condition with just electric terrain.

noose (Pelipper) (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Defog

Pelipper is a bulky rain setter. Standard set, usually used mostly to set rain and switch out. Good matchup vs lando-t. Defog is usually possible to use once or twice. Because this team is very offensive I tend to go for the U-turn and start making use of my rain turns rather than choosing to knock off items, but it can help against the Chansey matchup. I keep pelipper alive for as long as possible because my team doesn't work unless I keep him and koko alive.

nessy (Swampert-Mega) (F) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Swampert is the premier rain sweeper. I use power up punch on the switch, helps me get waterfalls into the OHKO range under rain. This is my answer to most of the metagame, with great coverage between waterfall/eq/ice punch, the few pokemon that do pose a threat are stuff like kartana as a revenge killer (power up punch beats her on the switch), gastro is a huge problem (and unaware quagsire would be too). Tangrowth I could see being a problem, +1 ice punch does 60 - 70% and giga OHKO's back. Grass knot greninja is also an issue.

tongue got ur cat? (Greninja-Ash) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

My second rain abuser. I don't know how I feel about greninja to be honest. It feels a little lacking, even though it's the strongest special sweeper in OU, especially under rain. I think spikes could be changed, because I can't give up the power of specs. Maybe grass knot? Greninja is also my only priority move, and I have a huge problem with Mega-zam that he shoulders by himself. Considering other choices in this slot.

Windwaker (Tapu Koko) @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Nature's Madness

Fast terrain setter. This is a copy of Haken's set (the Raichu is too). Terrain extender and Taunt give koko some great utility. Combined with nature's madness, koko really puts a dent in defensive pokemon that can help either swampert or raichu finish off the weakened pokemon. Volt switch gives me momentum, although not as much as pelipper u-turn. Nature's madness takes a good dent out of common switch ins like ferrothorn and m-venusaur. Also sets up the win condition for raichu and lucha. I use it like I use Pellipper - alive for as long as possible and in on turns to set terrain.

Aloha Aleia (Raichu-Alola) (F) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Surge Surfer
Shiny: Yes
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Thunder
- Focus Blast

This is a nice gimmick. Koko is pretty common too so I can get free terrain sometimes. Tricky to predict when to use nasty plot. Fight Z > Aloraichum Z because I can't run HP fire in the rain. I make up some of the damage by running thunder. Psychic isn't very strong, considering using psyshock instead. Nasty plot lets raichu OHKO lots of stuff like ferrothorn, ttar, magearna, excadrill, latios, and m-sableye, while putting clefable and chansey in OHKO range for thunder.

Hummingbird (Hawlucha) (M) @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Def / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance
- Poison Jab

Standard lucha with poison jab instead of roost. This team prefers the extra coverage on common counters to hawlucha like koko, lele, and clefable.

So there you have it. My team works by setting rain and electric terrain together. After those two are out, I switch into either Raichu or swampert to begin racking up some damage, or just setting up and sweeping. I use pelipper and koko as pivots to get my sweepers in. If I get an opportunity I unleash Hawlucha on the enemy team. Considering replacing Raichu and Greninja with something like Magnezone and Magearna. Thanks for the rates!

Last edited:
Reactions: DKM

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hey Alien, cool rain team. It seems pretty good for the most part, although one terrain abuser is usually enough. Using two means you can't use a particular pokemon that's typically used on rain, leaving the team with some weaknesses. I'll go over them and then suggest changes.

Threats to the team:

787.png798.png: Strong grass types like Kartana and Tapu Bulu give the team problems. Your only grass resist is Hawlucha who is usually saved until the end game. Scarf Kartana in particular can sweep the team as it's quite hard to revenge kill. Bulu isn't OHKO'd by anything apart from Hawlucha and can usually just Horn Leech to heal off most damage.

658-a.png: Strong water types such as Ash-Greninja can also be a problem for the team as they can also use the rain to their advantage. Your water resists are your own Greninja, who is too frail and Pelipper, who is 2HKOd by Specs Dark Pulse or Hydro Pump in the rain anyway. This is before Greninja has evolved, afterwards it outspeeds Koko and becomes even harder to deal with.

Major Change

598.png > 026-a.png: The main change I suggest is using Ferrothorn over one of the terrain abusers, in this case Raichu. Ferrothorn is usually used on rain teams as it provides a good grass and water resist. The set I'm suggesting is a Chople Berry set which allows you to take on Sacred Sword Kartana and Superpower Bulu, it also helps with Focus Blast Tapu Lele. With Leech Seed you beat most water types such as Greninja who I mentioned, Gyro Ball allows you to 2HKO Bulu and Knock Off removes Kartana's Choice Scarf making it easier to revenge kill. In the last slot you have Spikes which is useful for helping Swampert or Greninja OHKO/2HKO something.

Minor Changes

260-m.pngStealth Rock > Power-Up Punch: The team currently lacks Stealth Rocks, so I suggest using them on Swampert. Like Spikes, they'll be helpful in getting an OHKO or 2HKO on certain mons. For example if you have rocks and one or two Spikes up, it increases the chances of 2HKOing Ferrothorn with Earthquake, Bulu with Ice Punch and Tangrowth with Ice Punch. Losing Power-Up Punch might make the Clefable matchup tougher but you do have Taunt Koko and Specs Greninja, so it isn't too bad.

279.pngRoost > Knock Off: As you mentioned the team relies on rain, so keeping Pelipper alive is important. There isn't really any reason not to have Roost so I'm adding it in over Knock Off. You'll usually want to setup rain and then U-turn into one of your water types or Koko, so Knock Off wouldn't get used alot which is why I'm replacing it.

658-a.pngIce Beam > Spikes: Now that you have Ferrothorn to setup Spikes Greninja can run another move instead. Ice Beam gives you a chance to 2HKO AV Tangrowth and Bulu, although it isn't a very high chance unless spikes are up. You can try other things in this slot such as U-turn but I think Ice Beam is the best you can get for coverage.

785.pngelectriumz.pngor tapuniumz.png > terrainextender.png| Thunder > Dazzling Gleam: On Tapu Koko you don't really need a terrain extender, especially after I replaced Raichu so you can now put your Z-move here. Tapunium Z with Nature's Madness lets you get a huge hit off on something like Bulu, Ferrothorn, Chansey or something else. In combination with Taunt this allows you to break apart bulkier teams easily. You can also try Electrium Z with Thunder which also does alot to anything that doesn't resist it. Thunder on its own is useful as it uses both the terrain and weather, which is why I suggest it over Dazzling Gleam.

701.pngRoost > Poison Jab [optional] | spread change: Lastly an optional change, Roost over Poison Jab on Hawlucha. This makes setting up on Landorus, Celesteela etc. alot easier. With Z-move on Koko it isn't that hard to get damage on/KO Clefable, so Poison Jab might not be needed. This is just my opinion though so if you find Poison Jab is more useful then keep it. I also changed the spread to have some SpDef which allows you to live a Moonblast from Clefable.

~~

The team is pretty much like a standard rain team now, but I wanted to explain why Ferrothorn is used on rain. If you want to use Raichu as a terrain abuser then use it over Hawlucha, although Hawlucha is usually better.

I hope this rate is helpful, good luck :]

Importable
279.png260-m.png658-a.png785.png598.png701.png

Hey DragonKnightmaster thanks for the suggestions. I've actually switched out Greninja with the following Ferrothorn set:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed

But I'm switching to your set, it looks better.

This covers my Gastrodon problems. This also gives me good extra coverage against fairies and water types, but without protect celesteela messes me up. Fire is still a problem for ferrothorn, even in the rain, and I still don't have an answer against all out attackers (Medicham, M-Pinsir, M-Lopunny, Kartana, Hoopa, Greninja, Zam, Bulu). And I don't want to replace Raichu.

I don't know what to do with the team. The only thing I want to keep after thinking about it some more is the Koko/Raichu pair. Everything else can be changed. I know it's been done before but I wanna do something fun with Raichu-A.

Last edited:
Reactions: DKM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)