(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Let’s be honest, gen 1 cries at least needed it. Caterpie and Goldeen had identical cries and every cry sounded robotic and unnatural
And Rhyhorn and Charizard. And I could never really distinguish between Machop and Lord Helix Omanyte. I don't think Onix's cry came out any better in gen 6 onward, though...

Being forced to go into Festival Plaza makes it nearly impossible to get a good random battle. Everyone who is tagged "Accepting battle requests!" always turns down my damn battle requests...

Not something that just applies to this Pokémon but it's a very good example so I'm just gonna hyperfocus on it for two seconds

I really dislike how Exploud has the exact same pose in every single front sprite its had. It makes you get used to it as this unmoving statue-esque thing with only one expression to the point that it's really jarring when you see it have any other body or facial expression in the anime -- I'd just like a little more expression than staring angrily with your arms out.

Not something that just applies to this Pokémon but it's a very good example so I'm just gonna hyperfocus on it for two seconds

I really dislike how Exploud has the exact same pose in every single front sprite its had. It makes you get used to it as this unmoving statue-esque thing with only one expression to the point that it's really jarring when you see it have any other body or facial expression in the anime -- I'd just like a little more expression than staring angrily with your arms out.

Well to be fair, when its whole thing is how destructively loud it can be and never worry about running out of breath... what other kind of pose can you really put Exploud in? At least they tried to change its pose a teeny bit in the transition to gen 4...

Well to be fair, when its whole thing is how destructively loud it can be and never worry about running out of breath... what other kind of pose can you really put Exploud in? At least they tried to change its pose a teeny bit in the transition to gen 4...
You could still totally have its mouth open, but do something else with it. Have its legs spread out a little more, have it punching the air, have it from a different angle... I mean heck, that's the exact same pose and angle as its official artwork. I don't think that Exploud's anatomy is so limited that it's impossible to get across its concept while restricting to yourself to a single exact pose and angle.

I'm still annoyed by the fact that Salazzle gets Corrosion while Toxapex gets Merciless.

Let's give a Glass Cannon an ability that lets it Poison Steel types when it can melt those with Fire Blast. It can't even Poison things well as it will probably die while trying to land a Toxic due to the aforementioned Glass Cannon status. Merciless will at least give it a way to increase its damage output.

While Toxapex will most likely use Regenerator, having Corrosion will at least give it some interesting variation so that it can at least wear down Steel and Poison types with Toxic. Merciless increases damage output but Toxapex is a Stone Wall so the increase does very little for it.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Ambipom's back sprite from gen 4 annoyed me, as it just seems out of proportion to what the front side looked like. There are a few others like this, but that one stands out to me for some reason.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I actually really liked it; I thought it was a cool twist on the concept to instead have the Pokémon be holding a rare version of the thing it holds instead of the Pokémon spontaneously being a different colour. It's pretty creative and a great example of what GF can do with shinies instead of hot pink and snot green.
Curious if they're a white tree with a reddish inside.

*Does a quick Google search*

There is, and it's an eucalyptus tree! The Corymbia Aparrerinja, also known as the Ghost Gum, is found in Central Australia and has white to cream and pink-tinged bark.

(That all said, wished they at least changed Komala itself a bit, even if it was just making the fur lighter/darker or the inner ear color. Actually what I would think would have been neat, though it would no longer be referencing the Ghost Gum, is if they swapped the color palette of Komala with its log).
ReverseKomala.png

(I apologize for the shotty job, but I think it get the idea across)

Last edited:
We all know that there are some big things that make us hate Nintendo. Un-realeased pokemon abilities for example. (Will Water Absorb Suicune ever be legal?) Or the fact that some countries never get the great Japanese events.

But what about the little things? Things that are almost not worth complaining about but still annoy you to hell and back? This is the place to rant about them discuss them in an educated manner.

To get you guys and gals started, here is a list of a list of my top 3 little annoying things in X and Y:

1. Male pokemon do not pass down their pokeball. Even with Ditto.
  • You want that Tyrogue/Rufflet/ any other 100% male in a pretty ball? Not in good old France Kalos. You'll have to learn to RNG/bug someone enough to RNG for you. So sorry, folks who wanted to use matching ball balls in the VGC this year. Forced ugly poke ball for you all.

2. Shiny-locked Yveltal/Xerneas ALL the damn Kalos legends

• This was just mean. Bad enough that Black/White 1/2 made it impossible to RNG/soft reset for a shiny Reshiram/Zekrom/Meloetta/Keldeo but as of Gen 6 Nintendo decided that fans don't deserve to have ANY shiny pentagon legends without events. But enjoy looking at the amazing shiny Zygarde hacked by PowerSaves users...

3. Withdraw/Deposit is STILL above Organise Boxes in the PC options
  • Be honest, when was the last you willingly wanted to Withdraw a pokemon? For me this was in Crystal. Yup, Gen 2, when it forced you to save every time you wanted to change box/move pokemon between boxes. And yet, as of Gen 6, I am still forced to waste 2 seconds scroll down to Organise Boxes.
  • Read the ORAS section

NEW MINI-HATES: ORAS EDITION (the trumpets are here)

1. Shiny legend locks STILL exist

• According to Game Freak, I can waste my time trying to get a shiny Suicune but not a sparkly Deoxys. All the mons that I can easily RNG from past gens? Shiny-able. A pokemon that can only be shiny from a long dead 3rd Gen ticket distribution? Have a shiny lock.
  • I guess I should also mention that the weather trio got the crap end of the shiny deal too...
2. The cutscenes.... just make them end

• So, you want a flawless pentagon Lati@s? Didn't get the Eon Ticket (A.K.A: win the lottery)? Then welcome to the world of Steven talking. And him talking some more. Ooooh, now would be a great time to give you the Mega Ring.
  • And sure, throw in a Team AquaMagma battle in there too.
  • Oh, you actually wanted to finish the game? Well, sorry buddy. You can't continue until after you have an eon to call your own. No matter how much the IVs suck.
3. Yay for Organise Boxes being on top.... not.

• You have to get all the way to Fallarbor to to even get this option. And Lanette's house is really easy to just skip- especially if you were like me and said: 'nah, screw the stupid doll'
  • I've spent 12 plus years playing pokemon and guess what, I got used to scrolling down to Organise Boxes. It was super annoying but it became a reflex.
  • So even now, I'm wasting precious seconds scrolling down... even when I don't need to.

So, what what little things make you want to go:

(Yes, it annoys me how much Pikachu is loved/hyped)

(Oh, and I'm sorry if this thread is against the rules/has already been done before. I did check, honest...)
I'm late by about, oh, 184 pages, but unless someone's mentioned it already, one thing that really pissed me off about Gen 1 was that you couldn't just go up to a tree or patch of water and press the button to perform the HM move instantly. You had to manually select Surf and Cut from your Pokemon menu, then use them. That's the way Flash works though, however, you need to use Flash a lot less. Cut and Surf are used quite often, and i'm pretty sure this early installment weirdness applies to Strength as well. This stuff made Victory Road a chore.

I actually really liked it; I thought it was a cool twist on the concept to instead have the Pokémon be holding a rare version of the thing it holds instead of the Pokémon spontaneously being a different colour. It's pretty creative and a great example of what GF can do with shinies instead of hot pink and snot green.
Or maybe the log is the actual Pokémon and the koala is just a koala?

Check out Komala's "walking" animation...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
*Is randomly checking the Title Defense Challengers for USUM*

Huh, Lusamine's Lopunny knows the Elemental Punches, would have neat if they gave it its Mega Stone but of course they didn't... actually, she doesn't even have a Z-Move, why? Did they do that for any other... yup, they also didn't give a Z-Move to Guzma, Sophocles, and Ryuki.

And considering none of their other Pokemon are holding items and some don't even have full teams... GF, what's the point? They're EXTRA bosses, you can make them as challenging as you want! Heck, Hau and Gladion are the only ones with a Pokemon at level 70. Plus they're moves aren't the greatest, some Pokemon have better/stronger options.

I will mainly focus in Gen 6 and Gen 7 games~

All Gen 4 games:
* Too many HMs. I remembered there are 8 or 9 HMs? Spent 3 slots on HM Slaves.

XY:
* Game Freak being sexist in character customisation. Females has more customisation than males and in Lumiose City, males have to climb the stairs to purchase new clothes. Well, Nintendo is the not only sexist gaming company in character customisation. Stares at Rockstar's GTA V
* Earning style points in Lumiose City.
* Why is Charizard the only Kanto Starter with 2 Mega Evolutions? Why not Venusaur and Blastoise too.

ORAS:
* People blocking your paths to their flags in Secret Base.

All Gen 7 games:
* No button to skip cutscenes, too much cutscenes and they are way too long, this hurts the replay value.
* Why is Charizard being used as the Flying Pokemon in PokeRide when it is not in the Alolan Dex?
* Game Freak still being sexist in character customisation.
* Festival Plaza is confusing.
* Battle Agency, not being able to find other trainers in GMT+8.

Gen 7 games:
* No button to skip cutscenes, too much cutscenes and they are way too long, this hurts the replay value.
* Why is Charizard being used as the Flying Pokemon in PokeRide when it is not in the Alolan Dex?
* Game Freak still being sexist in character customisation.
* Festival Plaza is confusing.
* Battle Agency, not being able to find other trainers in GMT+8.
Charizard because fan service, Battle Agency has that problem for all time zones (use reddit to add friends to do Battle Agency together), and how is Festival Plaza confusing?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Catch a Furfrou just outside the city and have that one place style its fur over and over, racks up the points like crazy.
You can also buy Poke Balls or Premier Balls from the Poke Ball Boutique. You'll have to buy them one at a time for the points to count, but with it giving 2 points per purchase and the max amount of Style Points being 255 you'd just need to buy 128 Poke/Premier Balls (128 * 200 = 25,600 Poke Dollars; and if you don't want them you can sell them back for 100 each).

Mandatory tutorials need to go. First time through the game, sure, whatever. But set a flag so that when I restart the game, I can decide that “Nope, not interested in being told how my Pokegear works” and have the NPCs not waste my time. Story, sure, I’ll sit through that, but I was done with learning how Pokeballs work back in 2001. Heck, tie it into a hard mode where every NPC has a team of 6 and knows how to switch and GF will make every long-term fan jump for joy.

Ultra Space and Island Scan mons not having the chance at their HA. I mean, aside from the legendaries (because Game Freak), we are going to other planets to get these mons, surely they have the HA?

and Island Scan just cause convenience.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mandatory tutorials need to go. First time through the game, sure, whatever. But set a flag so that when I restart the game, I can decide that “Nope, not interested in being told how my Pokegear works” and have the NPCs not waste my time. Story, sure, I’ll sit through that, but I was done with learning how Pokeballs work back in 2001. Heck, tie it into a hard mode where every NPC has a team of 6 and knows how to switch and GF will make every long-term fan jump for joy.
I specifically hate the pokegear one (GSC, idr if it's the same in HGSS). If you answer no, mom answers with the hypothetical "Don't you just...?" I'm pretty sure it actually takes less time if you answer yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)