(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

HGSS: Adds the Pokeathelon, a fun series of minigames that also fixes one of (particularly GS) Johto's major issues, the difficulty in accessing evolutions. (And you can even get them before the E4, if you're playing on the right days!)

Also HGSS: Cuts off other evolutions for seemingly no reason. Any reason the Power Plant can't be a magnetic area? Or yeah, Icy Rock in Ice Path?

HGSS: Adds the Pokeathelon, a fun series of minigames that also fixes one of (particularly GS) Johto's major issues, the difficulty in accessing evolutions. (And you can even get them before the E4, if you're playing on the right days!)

Also HGSS: Cuts off other evolutions for seemingly no reason. Any reason the Power Plant can't be a magnetic area? Or yeah, Icy Rock in Ice Path?
With Magneton you at least kind of have an excuse with Magneton not being able to evolve in Johto* (Jasmine gets around this by getting to visit Sinnoh) but not having Weavile is especially weird.

*It still baffles me to why they didn't include a magnetic zone, grass rock & ice rock in HGSS

Like they're already fully rebuilding those routes and city tilesets and adding all kinds of new things (especially in Kanto). Just like...

Mark the Power Plant or Mahogany(/the surrounding area) or Goldenrod/Saffron as magnetic (THERE'S LITERALLY A M A G N E T T R A I N), throw a mossy rock into literally any of the forests, and then icy rock can go into Ice Path or Seafoam!
To encourage trading.

At least in the case of Moss Rock and Icy Rock I think they were trying to Mirror the fact that FRLG could not natively obtain Espeon and Umbreon without trading as well due to the lack of anything resembling an internal clock(while there are no visual differences, RSE does have one you set up in your bedroom at the beginning of the game).

To encourage trading.
At least in the case of Moss Rock and Icy Rock I think they were trying to Mirror the fact that FRLG could not natively obtain Espeon and Umbreon without trading as well due to the lack of anything resembling an internal clock(while there are no visual differences, RSE does have one you set up in your bedroom at the beginning of the game).
I am far more willing to believe they just...didn't want to rather than ....either of these options which just feel like reaches to try justifying it for a more "concrete" reason, hoenstly.

e: Or less arbitrarily they for some insane reason decided "well we cant have those areas in this game, because they didnt exist at the time" and then they furl their cape and move onto the rest of development as i claw at my face. At least that's "consistent" with their bizarre insistence on being overtly faithful to nonsense degrees with one hand while making sweeping changes & additions with the other

Last edited:
Tbh I think that at least at start, "to encourage trade" was a genuine reasoning for a lot of the weird trade evolutions present in the game as well as the whole version exclusive thing.

Now, whenever that's kinda fall off and just become another capitalist way to say more, that's hard to say. But I do think that at least at the start, the intent was just to make you go meet your friends for a complete collection.

Tbh I think that at least at start, "to encourage trade" was a genuine reasoning for a lot of the weird trade evolutions present in the game as well as the whole version exclusive thing.

Now, whenever that's kinda fall off and just become another capitalist way to say more, that's hard to say. But I do think that at least at the start, the intent was just to make you go meet your friends for a complete collection.
sure but that is irrelevant to leafeon, glaceon, magnezone & probopass (&, equally, was likely not the express intent with espeon & umbreon in FRLG)

Version exclusives and trade-onlys have always been a marketing tactic, since Pokemon was arguably the game that made connecting Handhelds consoles (and thus multiplayer with anything besides "pass around") popular, if not flat out a concept in the first place. The Pokedex has also continually gotten bigger so I don't find it unreasonable that a a single-region's game doesn't manage to fit literally the entire Pokedex in it even back in Gens 3 or 4.

With that said, the evolutions for Pokemon that are present in the region is where it feels very arbitrary, especially in the case of Magnezone or the Eeveelutions whose forms have something easy to retool for its inclusion. With FRLG, the Crobat and such lockouts were at least a conscious design choice since they could happen post-game, and the Umbreon/Espeon lockout was related to something a lot more intrinsic to the game code (i.e. an internal Clock that for Johto and Hoenn governed a lot of features rather than just 2 evolutions) than just setting a flag in some pre-existing areas. This generally shouldn't be a concern anymore especially now that new gens are willing to add alternative/streamlined evolution methods like Feebas getting a Scale or Leafeon/Glaceon gaining stones.

Now that evolution moves are tied to the evolution itself rather than the level, I feel like they could implement a system where Pokemon evolve after being raised a certain amount from whatever level they were captured at, rather than needing to reach a specific level. I'm sure this would create a bunch of new issues, but I feel like it'd be a more flexible and resilient system.
Thing is, they already have something like that. Friendship Evolution. They could easily expand that to be the standard(maybe with updates to the Friendship/Affection system), but it basically works and definitely represents how much you've trained a mon, how strong your bond is, etc, which is what Evolution-by-Level was originally sold as. They just prefer Level for whatever reason.

For things like that I think evolving via level up should always be an option (except for perhaps trading because Game Freak still living in the 90s).

Perhaps have the unconventional evolution method be something you can attain earlier, but plain evolution by reaching a certain level is the simplest way. Unconventional evolutions are fun only the first time.

Say:
- Inkay evolves into Malamar at Level 30 OR by leveling up while holding the console upside-down.
- Sliggoo evolves into Goodra at Level 50 OR by leveling up in the rain.
- Pancham evolves into Pangoro at Level 32 OR by leveling up while there's a Dark-type Pokémon in the party.

You'd get rewarded with an early power spike if you do it the weird way.

The only problem would be branched evolutions, particularly the Eeveelutions, but those in particular are better off Dexited anyways.

Last edited:
I'm pretty annoyed by the merging of friendship and affection in the newer games, not least of which because I'm convinced for no rational basis that it was related to the removal of Return and gutting a bunch of Normal-type Move users.

Besides that it feels like it goes against the new game's design, where the mobile box and always-on EXP Share seems to encourage rotating your Pokemon frequently if you don't want to steam roll the battles by level alone, but also means you would theoretically be expected to play with a lot more mons to get above the no-Camp cap on Friendship for useful battle benefits. Besides adding more work to do (because I don't find Amie, Refresh, or Camp particularly engaging activities in their own right so much as the novelty of virtual-pet interaction with the Pokemon), it kind of makes the team feel all the more impersonal when you're showing the same affection to twice as many Pokemon, like running a shelter or daycare rather than having personal companions.

And as another personal gripe I find it a bit narrow that this is the only way to max friendship, considering a lot of media (Pokemon or otherwise) depicts companions who get along better from activities like battling or training rather than close interaction and buddy-buddy type hang outs. Heck, Ash has had quite a few team members like that throughout the series: His Sceptile comes to mind, and that was how he first bonded with his Riolu. Just feels a little saccharine to me, which is funny given that I think that plays into the "cutesy animals in DOG FIGHTS TO THE DEATH" stereotype of Pokemon more than showing some can form healthy friendships out of the sport of battling

I've got one that fits in both this and Little Things You Like from X/Y.

In the fluff, Mega Evolution comes from the bond between a trainer and their Pokemon. Gen 1 pandering aside, the Gen 1 starters having their Mega Stone given to you along with the starter enforces that. As your bond grows and your second starter evolves, you build a relationship and confidence which culminates in you being able to Mega Evolve. I like that!

... It's just too bad it gets immediately thrown aside by you getting a Mega Lucario IMMEDIATELY after Mega Evolution. I know there's some talk about how "ooh it has a connection with you," but c'mon.

(Oh and obviously you can trade and then immediately Mega, but I'm talking specifically about the three starters that Sycamore gives you)

It continues to irk me how Deoxys-N is literally a weaker Deoxys-A. Like, was a more balanced stat spread even considered?

Mod note: if this counts as wishlisting, feel free to remove this Hide tag and everything in it.

Deo-N:70/105/105/105/105/110

Good speed, and decent enough bulk and power, a generalist like it should have been this whole time. Might still not be able to hack it in Ubers, but with this stat spread it could hopefully be able to function in OU without being OP.

Deo-A: 70/180/20/180/20/130
Not much change here, mostly a consequence of wanting to make Deo-D better (discussed below). 150 base speed was excessive anyways, especially in a post-Megas environment, IMO anything it can’t outspeed with this stat spread it had little reason to go up against anyways.

Deo-D: 70/60/160/60/160/90
This is why I gave all the Deo formes a boost to HP. The increase to HP allows Deo-D to actually serve a defensive role. I kept the Speed intact so it could win Taunt wars, and as for the offenses... did it really use them post-Gen 4? Even if it doesn’t get Body Press when it finally gets in, it’d be better off running the buffed Teleport anyways.

Deo-S: 70/90/85/90/85/180
Not much to say here. Kept the no-longer-#1 Speed stat, had to cut a little into everything else because of the HP stat, but ironically it ends up marginally bulkier despite lower base defenses.

SWSH: The game with a highly prominent NPC entirely themed around Pokeballs
Legends Arceus: The game set hundreds of years in the past

Guess which one of these doesn't have Electrode.
Honestly it seems like they rubbed the omission in our (and poke ball man's) faces more by making electrode a demigod with a new regional form (edit: which didn't even change its stats even?)

Here are a few level gaps between the fourth E4's ace and the Champion's weakest.

Red/Blue: Lance's Dragonite 62, Blue's Alakazam 59

GSC: Karen's Houndoom 47, Lance's Gyarados 44

FRLG Round 1: Lance's Dragonite 60, Blue's Alakazam 57

FRLG Round 2: Lance's Dragonite 72, Blue's Heracross 72

HGSS Round 1: Karen's Houndoom 47, Lance's Gyarados 46

Platinum Round 2: Lucian's Gallade 75, Cynthia's Spiritomb 74

HGSS Round 2: Karen's Umbreon 64, Lance's Gyarados 68

Seriously, Lance, are you that insecure about being seen as a weak Champion?

Johto's jank level curve staying true to form till the bitter end.

I also don't get why Lance's team exceeds Blue's in levels upon their second rematches in HGSS. I know levels should be taken with a grain of salt but I view all the second rematches in Gen 4's HGSS and Platinum to be bosses going all out, without holding themselves back by what point of the game you're at (something that's alluded to in other Pokémon media).

Am I really to believe Lance surpasses Blue in battling prowess in the Johto games when it's pretty firmly established lore-wise that Blue beat Lance and is therefore a stronger trainer?

Here are a few level gaps between the fourth E4's ace and the Champion's weakest.

Red/Blue: Lance's Dragonite 62, Blue's Alakazam 59

GSC: Karen's Houndoom 47, Lance's Gyarados 44

FRLG Round 1: Lance's Dragonite 60, Blue's Alakazam 57

FRLG Round 2: Lance's Dragonite 72, Blue's Heracross 72

HGSS Round 1: Karen's Houndoom 47, Lance's Gyarados 46

Platinum Round 2: Lucian's Gallade 75, Cynthia's Spiritomb 74

The Johto E4R2 levels are interesting, because they're sort of a bridge between the old-school style, where there's a clear hierarchy in the Elite Four and they're faced from weakest to strongest, and the new style, where they're equally strong and you can choose the order.

Will's ace is level 62, while Koga's, Bruno's, and Karen's are level 64 (Karen and Bruno actually have two aces each). There's still a sense of progression, but instead of it being based on the ace's level, with the levels of other team members also increasing overall but less sharply, their levels just get more bunched up around that 64 'cap'.

Will:
58, 59, 60, 60, 61, 62
Average = 60

Koga:
60, 61, 62, 62, 63, 64
Average = 62

Bruno:
61, 61, 62, 62, 64, 64
Average = 62.3333

Karen:
62, 62, 62, 63, 64, 64
Average = 62.6667

Lance:
68, 68, 72, 72, 73, 75
Average = 71.3333

The approach in a game like Platinum has a similar effect in terms of having a big jump from the E4 to the Champion, but it's much more subtle and feels very different because the aces are climbing levels at the classic +2, +2, +2, +3 rate:

Aaron:
49, 49, 50, 51, 53
Average = 50.4

Bertha:
50, 52, 52, 53, 55
Average = 52.4

Flint:
52, 53, 55, 55, 57
Average = 54.4

Lucian:
53, 54, 55, 56, 59
Average = 55.2

Cynthia:
58, 58, 58, 60, 60, 62
Average = 59.3333

Still, an 11-level gap between Karen's ace and Lance's is pretty wild lol.

Last edited:
:ss/hitmonlee::ss/hitmonchan::ss/hitmontop:

When evolving Tyrogue, you'll get a Hitmonlee if its Attack is greater than its Defense, and a Hitmonchan if its Defense is greater than its Attack. Hitmontop is framed as the midpoint, with it being the result of equal Attack and Defense.

However, when you look at their base stats, Hitmonchan is the midpoint, with its Attack, Defense, and Speed being roughly the average between Hitmonlee's and Hitmontop's.

This family is so weird. Basing Tyrogue's evolution on how it's trained is a cool idea (especially if the lore in the Hoenn Pokedex entry about training regimens was planned from the start, which is probably was) but EVs / stat experience is an extremely obscure mechanic even with a strategy guide, and the end result doesn't even reflect the training.

I guess Hitmontop needing balanced physical stats is just for visual pun's sake as it constantly has to stay in balance when upside-down.
I can respect the idea they had with Hitmontop, linking a balance between offense and defense with literally balancing like a top, but at the same time, if an idea for an evolution gimmick makes absolutely no sense for 1/3 of the trio (and it's one of the ones from the previous game, so you can't easily change it) either find a different gimmick or redesign the new guy so that the gimmick fits. Or wait until hardware allows you to do something similar to what you wanted to do. I'd imagine if the Hitmons were new Pokemon introduced in a modern game, they'd evolve by tracking how many punch and kick moves Tyrogue used, or something like that.

Oh yeah, I just remembered another example of Hitmonchan dropping the ball, though in this case it's less a design failing on Game Freak's part and more them accidentally being really close to a neat pattern and then ruining it at the last second.

:ss/tyrogue::ss/hitmonlee::ss/hitmonchan::ss/hitmontop:
GutsLimberKeen EyeIntimidate
SteadfastRecklessIron FistTechnician
Vital SpiritUnburdenInner FocusSteadfast

The Hitmons had their abilities added one at a time and the order they added Tyrogue's abilities doesn't line up with its evolutions, so there's no way this pattern was planned from the start, but everyone in this family has three unique abilities (except Hitmontop, its hidden ability is just Tyrogue's Gen 4 ability, which is a separate annoyance) that fall into three loose categories.
  • Power-boosting: Guts, Reckless, Iron Fist, Technician. They all increase damage output in different scenarios. Pretty straightforward.
  • Defensive: Vital Spirit, Limber, Keen Eye, Intimidate. This one's kinda shaky, since three of them block stuff while Intimidate just softens physical blows, but whatever.
  • Speed-boosting: Steadfast, Unburden, Steadfast again. And here's where it falls apart. Instead of getting a hidden ability that boosts speed in some way, Hitmonchan gets Inner Focus, which is another defensive ability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 13)