Little things you like about Pokémon

I have to say, I love the concept of Paradox Pokemon. Below is the reason why but some spoilers for SV, but more specifically for Scarlet "DLC?"

I like how past version of Volcarona is a physical attacker like its pre-evolution and focuses more on the bug aspect while the future version fully embraces its fire orientated and special stats of the evolved version as Volcarona's signature move is fire.

Similarly Donphan's past version resembles a bit a mix of a Mamoth and Dinosaur being all large and all while the Future Version is taking its tire like design to a new level since tires are something human created based on something they saw rolling. Not to mention, it is small and optimized like how technology tends to try being small to waste as little space as possible (examples like Smart Devices and Home Consoles but we are
evolving a bit back in that aspect).

In general that the ancients are bigger and the futuristic ones smaller is nice touch into detail. Still would have prefered not every future paradox Pokemon to be robotic or have Iron in the name. Cyber Bird or Delibot would be nice for a name for Iron Bundle. Or has crossbreeding Pokemon never lead to a new species in the future?

Also the dex entry in Scarlet for Future Hydreigon is... questionable...

But some hidden lore in the games hint conflicting information about the legendary beasts and what they used to be before what we saw them as after Ho-Oh saved them. Maybe they weren't Eeveelutions like we used to think which would line up perfectly. Or Ho-oh's power granted them the power of the ancient past as it can learn Ancient Power... But that is headcanon.

What worries me more is, if ancient Pokemon were that strong, why are fossil Pokemon that weak? I would think the past far back must have been even harsher.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Idk about that, Annihilape looks even more pissed than when it was alive.

I still find it funny that it basically died of anger and came back to get even more angry :zonger:
Perhaps the peaceful corpses are those divested of the angry souls that have departed only to manifest into Annihilape?

Anyway, Annihilape seems like the sort of Pokemon Ash should have. Maybe his Primeape will finally return and reunite with him.

I like how past version of Volcarona is a physical attacker like its pre-evolution and focuses more on the bug aspect while the future version fully embraces its fire orientated and special stats of the evolved version as Volcarona's signature move is fire.
Hematite pointed out something extra cool about Slither Wing's stats, which is how it combines Volcarona's and Larvesta's stats. Its HP and SpDef are the same as Volcarona's, its Attack is the same as Volcarona's Special Attack and its Special Attack is the same as Larvesta's Attack, and its Speed halfway between Larvesta's and Volcarona's (+1 to make it an odd number).

Another cool thing Paradox stat thing is with Iron Valiant. From the outset, it being based on two Pokemon simultaneously makes the usual Paradox stats of "base Pokemon but exaggerated" tricky, but the big thing Gardevoir and Gallade have in common is their great SpDef stat. However, Iron Valiant's SpDef is its lowest stat and indeed its only low stat, so what's up with that?

Well, the defining feature of Gardevoir and Gallade is their compassion. They go out of their way to protect their trainer and others in need, and will go above and beyond when doing so. However, Iron Valiant is a cruel and heartless machine that cuts down everything in its way without remorse. It's never been entirely clear what exactly SpDef is supposed to represent diegetically, but in the case of Gardevoir, Gallade, and Iron Valiant, I think it's supposed to represent their compassion and will to protect.

Idk about that, Annihilape looks even more pissed than when it was alive.

I still find it funny that it basically died of anger and came back to get even more angry :zonger:
Annihilape kind of gives me a more "tranquil fury" vibe. Like instead of rampaging the way Primeape does, Annihilape kind of stews in its anger and you only see it come out when it has a reason to direct it at you. It's like the vibe you see in fiction when someone pisses off the crime boss or supervillain, and they don't shout but if they turn their attention on you, they could punch your head off.

For different reasons I also am compelled to nickname Annihilape as Zeromus.

I have to say, I love the concept of Paradox Pokemon. Below is the reason why but some spoilers for SV, but more specifically for Scarlet "DLC?"

Similarly Donphan's past version resembles a bit a mix of a Mamoth and Dinosaur being all large and all while the Future Version is taking its tire like design to a new level since tires are something human created based on something they saw rolling. Not to mention, it is small and optimized like how technology tends to try being small to waste as little space as possible (examples like Smart Devices and Home Consoles but we are
evolving a bit back in that aspect).

In general that the ancients are bigger and the futuristic ones smaller is nice touch into detail. Still would have prefered not every future paradox Pokemon to be robotic or have Iron in the name. Cyber Bird or Delibot would be nice for a name for Iron Bundle. Or has crossbreeding Pokemon never lead to a new species in the future?

Also the dex entry in Scarlet for Future Hydreigon is... questionable...

But some hidden lore in the games hint conflicting information about the legendary beasts and what they used to be before what we saw them as after Ho-Oh saved them. Maybe they weren't Eeveelutions like we used to think which would line up perfectly. Or Ho-oh's power granted them the power of the ancient past as it can learn Ancient Power... But that is headcanon.

What worries me more is, if ancient Pokemon were that strong, why are fossil Pokemon that weak? I would think the past far back must have been even harsher.
I always had this idea the Fossil revival process was imperfect and so the Pokemon might not be brought back in their prime or as they were. Aside from Gen 8 which has other obvious faults in the process, every Fossil Pokemon revived has a rock typing, even when there doesn't seem to be a distinct element of it in the Pokemon's physiology (most immediately I think of Archen/Archeops). I always took it that some of the fossilized matter was integrated with the revived Pokemon, so rather than a perfect recreation you get something akin to a less-horrific and less self-destroying version of "The Fly", but with rocks instead of an insect.

Hematite pointed out something extra cool about Slither Wing's stats, which is how it combines Volcarona's and Larvesta's stats. Its HP and SpDef are the same as Volcarona's, its Attack is the same as Volcarona's Special Attack and its Special Attack is the same as Larvesta's Attack, and its Speed halfway between Larvesta's and Volcarona's (+1 to make it an odd number).

Another cool thing Paradox stat thing is with Iron Valiant. From the outset, it being based on two Pokemon simultaneously makes the usual Paradox stats of "base Pokemon but exaggerated" tricky, but the big thing Gardevoir and Gallade have in common is their great SpDef stat. However, Iron Valiant's SpDef is its lowest stat and indeed its only low stat, so what's up with that?

Well, the defining feature of Gardevoir and Gallade is their compassion. They go out of their way to protect their trainer and others in need, and will go above and beyond when doing so. However, Iron Valiant is a cruel and heartless machine that cuts down everything in its way without remorse. It's never been entirely clear what exactly SpDef is supposed to represent diegetically, but in the case of Gardevoir, Gallade, and Iron Valiant, I think it's supposed to represent their compassion and will to protect.
My theory is that Special stats represent a form of mental fortitude and ability to emotionally/psychologically read/outwit the opponent. Gardevoir and Gallade having a sort of honor code and loyalty that they won't break even at cost to their own life vs Iron Valiant's ironic lack of a moral code and simply being a merciless killing machine.

I think another aspect this could be reflected in is that despite striving for "the ultimate Psychic Pokemon", Iron Valiant specifically loses that typing from its two bases. Losing the Psychic typing, whether by design or simply as a consequence, also likely impairs the line's ability to read emotions or thoughts in others, which explains its more vicious nature and in a way could also explain its greater ability in battle as less inhibited.

Last edited:
I always had this idea the Fossil revival process was imperfect and so the Pokemon might not be brought back in their prime or as they were. Aside from Gen 8 which has other obvious faults in the process, every Fossil Pokemon revived has a rock typing, even when there doesn't seem to be a distinct element of it in the Pokemon's physiology (most immediately I think of Archen/Archeops). I always took it that some of the fossilized matter was integrated with the revived Pokemon, so rather than a perfect recreation you get something akin to a less-horrific and less self-destroying version of "The Fly", but with rocks instead of an insect.
The problem is that we now have an example of fossil Pokemon time traveling into the present day of the games, the space-time distortions from Legends: Arceus. Unless the space-time distortion uses their own reviving techniques that somehow are identical to modern day technology, I think fossil Pokemon are just naturally Rock types. Considering most dinosaur bones are fossilized through permineralization, I'll argue Rock type fossils are very common due to Rock type Pokemon already being sorta fossilized.
Dream_Old_Amber_Sprite.png

Also considering the Old Amber implies the scientists use Aerodactyl DNA from the blood inside an ancient mosquito ala Jurassic Park style, Aerodactyl most likely is a very accurate revival, Mega Evolution Dex entries be damned. I get that the dex entries reference how science's understanding of how ancient creatures looked and lived is constantly changing with new finds and more advanced technology, but I don't think we're getting any changes to any fossil Pokemon revival. Also (Paradox/Story Spoilers), anyone that thinks Jigglypuff somehow existed 1 billion years in the past when multicellular life first evolved 400 million years ago is probably a nutcase whose crackpot theories came to life through the 3rd legendry's powers.

Last edited:
The problem is that we now have an example of fossil Pokemon time traveling into the present day of the games, the space-time distortions from Legends: Arceus. Unless the space-time distortion uses their own reviving techniques that somehow are identical to modern day technology, I think fossil Pokemon are just naturally Rock types. Considering most dinosaur bones are fossilized through permineralization, I'll argue Rock type fossils are very common due to Rock type Pokemon already being sorta fossilized.
View attachment 471640
Also considering the Old Amber implies the scientists use Aerodactyl DNA from the blood from inside an ancient mosquito ala Jurassic Park style, Aerodactyl most likely is a very accurate revival, Mega Evolution Dex entries be damned. I get that the dex entries reference how science's understanding of how ancient creatures is constantly changing with new finds and more advanced technology, but I don't think we're getting any changes to any fossil Pokemon revival. Also (Paradox/Story Spoilers), anyone that thinks Jigglypuff somehow existed 1 billion years in the past when multicellular life first evolved 400 million years ago is probably a nutcase whose crackpot theories came to life through the 3rd legendry's powers.
To be fair on the last point the "Billion Years" thing for Scream Tail sounds more like tabloid/magazine clickbait hyperbole, or as noted rumors that probably were started by speculators and influencers that don't know biology or evolution, even if they still agree on it being an ancient Puff

Now I'm just imagining in-universe Poketubers doing Clickbait thumbnail reactions to Paradox Pokemon like Game Leaks or "Insider Rumors". Imagine if Sandy Shocks was the escaped Paradox Titan, Iono streaming "Looking for super ancient walking Magneton! REAL DINOSAURS!" or something

While I’ve always liked the idea that Rock types are just inherently better-predisposed to being successully revived, couldn’t it be argued that the fossil Pokémon in Legends: Arceus might be being brought to Hisui from the present day, after they’ve already been revived?

My theory is that Special stats represent a form of mental fortitude and ability to emotionally/psychologically read/outwit the opponent. Gardevoir and Gallade having a sort of honor code and loyalty that they won't break even at cost to their own life vs Iron Valiant's ironic lack of a moral code and simply being a merciless killing machine.

I think another aspect this could be reflected in is that despite striving for "the ultimate Psychic Pokemon", Iron Valiant specifically loses that typing from its two bases. Losing the Psychic typing, whether by design or simply as a consequence, also likely impairs the line's ability to read emotions or thoughts in others, which explains its more vicious nature and in a way could also explain its greater ability in battle as less inhibited.
An interesting note about this is that while sensing thoughts is associated with Psychic, manipulating emotion shows up a lot in Fairy (e.g. Sylveon's dex entries, several move descriptions). However, with the possible exception of its final level-up move in Spirit Break, Valiant doesn't get access to those moves. This led to the thought of Valiant messing with its own emotions to make itself a more aggressive fighter instead of contacting the emotions of others. It then has low SpD because it is actively using its own mental subsceptability.

Valiant's last level-up moves are interesting in general (after Close Combat at 63, the same time as Gallade). It learns several moves available to the Ralts line through breeding, split between at level 1 (Disable, Shadow Sneak) and here (Knock off at 70, Destiny Bond at 77). Then, we have Wide and Quick Guards at 84, which Gallade learned at 56 and are the only team-support moves Valiant learns through level. Finally, Spirit Break (it's most emotion-tied Fairy move) at 91. It gives the impression particularly high-level Valiants are rediscovering their original dispositions.

While I’ve always liked the idea that Rock types are just inherently better-predisposed to being successully revived, couldn’t it be argued that the fossil Pokémon in Legends: Arceus might be being brought to Hisui from the present day, after they’ve already been revived?
369Relicanth.png
900Kleavor.png

I just think old Pokemon being Rock types is more so rocks in general being associated with being old than any long winded explanation from the dex that is never set in stone. heh

I had thought this to be a given since the Distortions include Porygon, an explicitly artificial Pokemon from a Digital age.

Now I have a long post for the Mystery & Conspiracies thread from checking the list and rabbit-holing myself looking at Sneasel.

I had thought this to be a given since the Distortions include Porygon, an explicitly artificial Pokemon from a Digital age.
Well, they’re distortions in time, so hypothetically, they could be pulling from both the past and future relative to Hisui’s era. I think the default assumption is that Shieldon and Cranidos are being drawn from the past, while Scizor, Magnemite*, and Porygon are being pulled from the future/modern day. I was just saying that if someone wanted to maintain the theory that fossil Pokémon being Rock-type is an imperfection of the revival process, they could potentially argue that the fossil Pokémon that we see in the spacetime distortions could all be post-revival specimens from later on the timeline than Hisui, which would allow one to believe that we still haven’t seen the “original” forms of those Pokémon as they were millions of years ago.

* Magnemite’s kind of a weird one. You can only find it and Magneton in the distortions which would suggest they aren’t native to the era… but there’s still a few naturally occurring Magnezone in the Coronet Highlands.

I always took it that some of the fossilized matter was integrated with the revived Pokemon, so rather than a perfect recreation you get something akin to a less-horrific and less self-destroying version of "The Fly", but with rocks instead of an insect.
Ooh! Or maybe it's like in Jurassic Park, where they fill the gaps in the dinosaurs' genomes with frog DNA, but with rocks instead.

Also, I wish there was more fanart of fossil Fakemon, as in the ancestors of modern Pokémon. The closest thing I can think of is Bird Keeper Toby's theory that Tirtouga is the last common ancestor of Squirtle and Lapras.

Iron Thorns reportedly has a calm personality and prefers to avoid conflict. This is a significant change from Tyranitar, which goes looking for fights and reshapes the landscape when it finds one. It corresponds with Thorns losing the Dark type, which I associate with disaster in addition to regular Evil (e.g. Absol/Darkrai/Yveltal are non-evil but associated with disaster).

QuentinQuonce

Played through PBR a while ago and noticed that a lot of the strategies used by the NPC trainers in Double battles are very similar to those used in Colosseum's Battle Mode and XD's Orre Colosseum (makes sense, all three are Genius Sonority games so some things were going to carry over). Examples include the use of Imprison to prevent the opponent exploiting a team's common weakness, Lightningrod abuse, Follow Me abuse, and Skill Swap to empower Slaking/Regigigas.

Gonzap's strategy, though, appears to be completely unique. Much like Lance, Gonzap favours the use of Hyper Beam in both the games he appears in (even though his signature is, uh... Skarmory, which doesn't learn Hyper Beam); for his XD Orre Colosseum battle, he uses a full set of Kanto starter evolutions as well as Slaking, Salamence, and Skarmory, and will have one Pokemon use a Hyper Beam-style move while its partner uses Roar on it to switch it out and thereby avoid the recharge turn.

It's not a particularly effective strategy because it's very easy to play around, but it suits his flavour incredibly well and makes his Orre Colosseum battle incredibly fun, and it's the wackiest strategy I've ever seen employed by such a high-level boss.

Is Romanesco a more rural accent, because that would match her vague country accent in English and Kansai accent in Japanese.
It is the typical Roman dialect which as a stereotype is often associated to a fun / casual / laid-back / down to earth personality. It definitely is not "vague" (I think a heavy Scottish accent could be a viable equivalent for English) but at the same time it is close enough to standard Italian to be understandable (which is notably not the case for the several "dialects" of Italian which would be more accurately described as local languages). According to a quick Wikipedia check the Kansai dialect seems to be quite associated with comedic value, which I guess makes it a fitting parallel.

cacnea.gif

Cacnea idle animation is one of my favorites in the series. There is such a fun, bouncy energy to it that gives Cacnea so much personality. It is so good that I think it has elevated the design for me personally.

corviknight.gif

Edit: I just remembered another 3d idle animation that I really like. Corviknight has a flying animation that is pretty normal, but the timing of it does a great job of giving a sense of weight to the Pokemon. Looking at the animation a bit more closly while writing this post has shown me some cool extra details. Such as the claws opening and closing, the tailfeathers and the feathers on the chest going up and down, and head seeming to move slightly. These all add even more life to an animation that was already great.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

i always thought thorton telling you a randomly generated percentage chance to win was a nice touch. that always psyched me out before the fight, lol

View attachment 472769
I had a similar mindset with Crystal's Battle Tower back when I first attempted it and was no good. There were a couple of NPCs who'd say things like "uh... I'm not very good at battling. Can you take it easy on me?" and I'd be like "ha, excellent!" even though the NPC dialogue makes no difference to how tough they actually are since they all use the same pool. Got shredded by that damn Piloswine's Earthquake so often.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)