SM PU London Is My Country: A Year Later

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Catch the sun, before it's gone
Here it comes, up in smoke and gone
Catch the sun, it never comes

Cry in the sand, lost in the fire

-----

Intro

Hello, it's me, yogibears. It's been just over a year since I first started PU and posted my first RMT, England is my City, and I wanted to make one that is basically a tribute to it and recaps the year that I've had. It's been a great ride so far and I'd like to think I've come far to be honest, so I'm just gonna get into the team. The main reason for this, is that I've seen my RMT more times than any other team on the ladder, and it's extremely outdated right now.

-----

The Team

Did I mention I invented Choice Scarf Togedemaru

Yogi (Togedemaru) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Toxic
Dibs (Togedemaru) @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Fake Out
- Toxic
- Zing Zap

Consistently staying on of my favourite and most used Pokemon throughout SM PU I've used countless different sets, but the Choice Scarf version stays the most consistent by far. The original pivot set has really fallen out of style, just because of how good of a pivot the Choice Scarf version currently is. Being able to revenge kill and/or pivot on a large portion of the tier cements this Pokemon as one of the top tier Choice Scarf users right now. Iron Barbs is heavily preferred as the ability as the team really doesn't have a Normal-type resist, so being able to chip Kangaskhan and Stoutland is extremely useful over failing to stop Volt Switch users. This set is so standard now that everyone knows what it does.

I am a nerd REEEEEEEEEE

Dibs (Mesprit) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- U-turn
HJAD (Mesprit) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic
- U-turn

While the original set would still work, I just prefer how amazing Defensive Mesprit is in the current meta. It blanket checks a crazy amount of Pokemon and is able to generate so much momentum when used correctly. A later replacement means that Defensive Mesprit was the best option to help glue together the team and create quite an already famous core in SM PU. My current spread is just to outspeed Jolly Aggron and help chip it with Psychic. Hidden Power Ground is an option if you want to hard bop it and also not let Skuntank in for free, but Healing Wish is just too good right now.

You drowned the little man you [REDACTED]

Taskr (Gurdurr) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 204 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Taskr (Regirock) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 60 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Counter
- Stone Edge

This slot was originally dedicated to Regirock back when I redid the team, but I found that Gurdurr was far more useful. One of the best wincons in the tier, especially when coupled with Healing Wish Mesprit, Gurdurr has set itself up as a metagame staple. By using three other members of my team as pseudo Normal-type resists, I had more wiggle room to use Gurdurr over Regirock. The EVs are more defensive as it really, really doesn't need the extra Attack investment. Being able to take hits from the myriad of Physical attackers in the tier is more inviting, especially when Lycanroc and Aggron are such massive threats.

What a cum sponge

Teddeh (Munchlax) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

I absolutely hate the old Munchlax set, and I think it's pure trash. However, this set is probably my favourite and does fantastic in the current meta. No longer does it give pretty much every hard hitter a free switch-in anymore. You can Earthquake things like Aggron and Lycanroc, Toxic things like Hitmonchan and Gurdurr, and overall cripple and wall most things in the current meta; you even threaten both Qwilfish and Froslass which is hella neat. Even though most people see this set as a stupid gimmick, I still believe it to be the best set currently.

Your mum is a lovely person Yogi

HJAD (Weezing) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes
Anty (Weezing) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes

Not much is different about this set except it outspeeding Adamant Aggron, which is pretty important right now to be honest. It's basically the second blanket check to the vast number of physical attackers seen in the current meta, and stop opposing Mesprit+Gurdurr's from overwhelming my own Mesprit. Toxic Spikes are great for this team as it helps with its somewhat passive nature and puts loads of pressure on both Skuntank and Qwilfish, who try to come in and absorb them. It does however mean that two layers of Toxic Spikes are pretty annoying against my team, but it's manageable.

I'm cute :3333

Waters (Shiftry) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm
- Defog
Yogi (Shiftry) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Rock Slide

Choice Scarf Shiftry is pretty bad in the current meta, but right now mixed is actually a pretty decent Pokemon. It threatens basically everything in the meta, including standard resists. Very little switches into Leaf Storm and Knock Off together, and with Sucker Punch it provides a decent amount of pressure against faster, more offensive teams. I find that I don't use Defog that much, but it's good versus things like Spikes Stacking. Shiftry also breaks for both Choice Scarf Togedemaru and Gurdurr, by smacking stuff like Weezing and such with either Leaf Storm or Knock Off.

-----

Threatlist

This team doesn't actually have that many threats on paper but can be pressured by a few things:

Normal-types
Normal-types put a load of pressure on the team due to me not having a dedicated resist to them, but I do have a load of Pokemon that either chip of blanket check them so I'm not too worried about them in general.

Spikes Stacking
While I don't find it that hard to deal with, a well-played Froslass or Qwilfish can actually be super obnoxious against the team. However, if it's either Fat Froslass or no Poison move Qwilfish, Shiftry can generally deal with them pretty reasonably and Defog later in the game.

-----

Importable
Yogi (Togedemaru) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Barbs
Jolly Nature
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Toxic

Dibs (Mesprit) @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- U-turn

Taskr (Gurdurr) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 204 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

HJAD (Weezing) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes

Waters (Shiftry) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm
- Defog

-----

Closing Thoughts

I really love PU and the player-base, and I look forward to continuing my contributions and playing the tier. I will be doing shoutouts but it's taking a very, very long time to write them, so I'm going to do them in a separate post, I just wanted to get this team posted.

Hope you all have a good one, and I hope you enjoyed reading this!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)