Look At What I Chained - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa. Does this stuff really work? How does it change the odds of finding a Shiny? I simply don't get it.

How are the odds of finding shinies/the pokemon you are chaining determined? How are certain blocks more likely to break the chain...?

One should only enter a patch that is "4-away?" Why is this?

None of this really makes sense to me. It looks to me like observations completely based upon luck. If someone could explain this I would really appreciate it. I read the thread, but it doesn't explain anything, it just tells you what to do. This is tooo weird.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Whoa. Does this stuff really work? How does it change the odds of finding a Shiny? I simply don't get it.

How are the odds of finding shinies/the pokemon you are chaining determined? How are certain blocks more likely to break the chain...?

One should only enter a patch that is "4-away?" Why is this?

None of this really makes sense to me. It looks to me like observations completely based upon luck. If someone could explain this I would really appreciate it. I read the thread, but it doesn't explain anything, it just tells you what to do. This is tooo weird.
Yes. Beneficially.

P(shiny) = [14,747 - 40(n)] / [2,621,440 x (41 - n)] Where P = Probability and n = Chain length of 40 or less. At n > 40, substitute 40 for n. Probability of Pokemon is based on encounter rate, with some extra Pokemon found only by using the Radar itself in a particular area. Consult a reliable online guide for these percentages.

Yes. Because entering closer grass has a greater chance of breaking your chain, based on a good many experimental trials.

Because that's how these things are programmed into the game?

If you're more of a GameFAQS person than a person who can make use of the informative guide here, perhaps this might be of use.

So when one finds a pokemon via pokeradar, and wants to find another of that same pokemon, one has a better chance to find that pokemon a second time in a more than 4-away spot?

So is it a technique of maintaining a chain, or just a way to not specifically break one? Is one more likely to find the same pokemon farther away, or just more likely to find a new one closer?

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
So when one finds a pokemon via pokeradar, and wants to find another of that same pokemon, one has a better chance to find that pokemon a second time in a more than 4-away spot?

So is it a technique of maintaining a chain, or just a way to not specifically break one? Is one more likely to find the same pokemon farther away, or just more likely to find a new one closer?
Correct.

It's a technique to minimize chances of breaking a chain. And the last question, please explain.

So it is a technique to minimize chances of breaking a chain, like you just said, but it doesn't necessarily control what pokemon you are finding. The technique is only exploiting the probabilities of finding new pokemon, and then trying not to find new ones, correct?

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
So it is a technique to minimize chances of breaking a chain, like you just said, but it doesn't necessarily control what pokemon you are finding. The technique is only exploiting the probabilities of finding new pokemon, and then trying not to find new ones, correct?
Pretty much.

Well Im just starting to chain, got to about ten on my first try.
Any ways, I was wondering what a good pokemon would be to chain that isnt the standard starting chain of shinx or starly.

I suggest swarm pokemon, especially electric or steel types since you can use a Magnet Puller or Static pokemon. Swarm pokemon have a normal appearance percentage of 40%, they aren't too hard to chain.

Well Im just starting to chain, got to about ten on my first try.
Any ways, I was wondering what a good pokemon would be to chain that isnt the standard starting chain of shinx or starly.
Ponyta is also a nice starting target. During the day time you can find Ponyta in route 210 with a 50% appearance rate. Other than that, swarm pokemon as The Lost One has said will probably be your best bet.

Yes, just netted these shinies:D!! Might start another chain soon:).

Naive: 18 - 21 / 22 - 24 / 11 - 14 / 15 - 17 / 26, 31 / 1 - 3

Impish: 15 - 17 / 18 - 21 / 4 - 7 / 22 - 24 / 26 / 18 - 21

Naive: 15 - 17 / 22 - 24 / 25 - 27 / 18 - 21 / 27 / 0

Well those are all it, I accidentally ran out of range:(. OK, not the best, so I'll start another chain, but I have 35 other ones to check...

Ugh! I'm chaining Glameows and I've broke two chains at 34 and 38 on new theories I'm testing that are supposedly "guaranteed" to work. I got one early shiny, but it was Naughty with 19 Speed as its highest stat. Looks like I'll have to exterminate 40 more. -__-

Suikun - Read the guide (thoroughly) before you ask questions like that, please.

Lorak - Thanks for answering those so I didn't have to give any sarcastic and belittling replies.

Pimplup - You don't have to show us the lolIV's, you can just tell us they suck ass.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Lorak - Thanks for answering those so I didn't have to give any sarcastic and belittling replies.
Was... hard not to. Any feedback on my previous two ideas for chains, neither which I've gotten to yet, but am wondering which to do first?

Nidoran M concurs.

EDIT: Once I get back into chaining, after catching SF Pokemon, I have two Pokemon targeted:

Pineco (Relaxed, Luxury Ball)
Buneary (???, Heal/Luxury Ball)

I've been alternating Caterpie and Hoppip recently, but to little success. Caterpie is especially difficult since just starting the chain is hard. Have any you guys had experience successfully chaining the 3rd gen game insert pokemon like Caterpie? Should I take no chances at all and strictly enter optimal patches for the entire chain?

Ugh! I'm chaining Glameows and I've broke two chains at 34 and 38 on new theories I'm testing that are supposedly "guaranteed" to work. I got one early shiny, but it was Naughty with 19 Speed as its highest stat. Looks like I'll have to exterminate 40 more. -__-

Suikun - Read the guide (thoroughly) before you ask questions like that, please.

Pimplup - You don't have to show us the lolIV's, you can just tell us they suck ass.

I am Suikun. I did read the guide. Many times, in attempt to not make an idiot out of myself. The whole principle of it did just not make sense to me. I simply don't understand how one can find 40 of the same Pokemon in a row in a guaranteed way. Some of it must be luck-related, no?

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
I am Suikun. I did read the guide. Many times, in attempt to not make an idiot out of myself. The whole principle of it did just not make sense to me. I simply don't understand how one can find 40 of the same Pokemon in a row in a guaranteed way. Some of it must be luck-related, no?
Okay. Do you get how a Rod catches Pokemon in the water? And no matter what, you won't catch an Arceus with it?

It's how the game is programmed; it's how the game works. If you want luck, don't follow the guide, and don't find that many Pokemon in a row. If you want to chain successfully, follow the guide. Try it a few dozen times, to make a good chain, and see if it works. Test your hypothesis.

There is luck involved. You're trying to minimize it, that is, if you want to succeed at chaining.

Edited for clarity.

jbozz1217/Suikun said:
Lorak's right. I've caught over half a thousand shinies doing this, so I assure you it works. You're right, there is an element of luck, as I explain in the guide, but the guide's goal is to minimize it.

Also, you're not allow to have two accounts if both of those are indeed yours.

Lorak said:
Was... hard not to. Any feedback on my previous two ideas for chains, neither which I've gotten to yet, but am wondering which to do first?
Buneary's got a 19% catch rate, so maybe do that first? I don't know what nature though, I wish it could get Switcharoo :( . I'm not the person to ask on that front, unfortunately. I'd say the lack of Switcharoo makes Forrey a better candidate, since Toxic Spikes is optional. Heal Ball on Lopunny I'd say :) .

Lol, didn't see that one coming.

Anyway, I'm done spamming here, I'll edit this post when I have something worthwhile to report.

I've been alternating Caterpie and Hoppip recently, but to little success. Caterpie is especially difficult since just starting the chain is hard. Have any you guys had experience successfully chaining the 3rd gen game insert pokemon like Caterpie? Should I take no chances at all and strictly enter optimal patches for the entire chain?
Caterpie is really hard to chain, only got one shiny from my chain after several tries of getting it up to 40 without breaking the chain. But after I accidently broke it.. typical. Anyways, the only suggestion I can give you is never to reset your radar without having at least four-away patches on at least one direction from you character,

I hope you catch more shiny caterpies than I did xD

Well I've recently gotten 2 shiny Mightyena, but accidently broke the chain while not paying attention to where the shaking patches were:( Don't know what to chain next, thoughts?

I read the guide again, and I have some more questions that were not specifically covered in there.

What does a synchronizer do? It says how to use one but you didn't mention what it actually does... so I am confused.

Does one need to catch the Pokemon that one is attempting to chain, or kill it, or can one just flee?

Also, what is "going out of range?"

And how does one "reset the Pokeradar?" I know it might sound stupid, but is that just like... activating it again?

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
I read the guide again, and I have some more questions that were not specifically covered in there.

What does a synchronizer do? It says how to use one but you didn't mention what it actually does... so I am confused.

Does one need to catch the Pokemon that one is attempting to chain, or kill it, or can one just flee?

Also, what is "going out of range?"

And how does one "reset the Pokeradar?" I know it might sound stupid, but is that just like... activating it again?
Synchronizers are Pokemon with Synchronize. Like all other battles in DP, Synchronize gives you a 50% chance of the Pokemon you battle to have the same nature as the Synchronizer. Thus, you reduce the chance of a useless natured shiny by having a Synchronizer of a useful nature.

You must make the opposing Pokemon faint or catch it. Running from it, it running (Teleport, etc.) or it making you run (Roar, Whirlwind) breaks a chain.

"Going out of range" can be either walking so far away from the patches you saw shake that they are no longer on-screen. Or, it can mean leaving the grass entirely. Either breaks the chain.

"Resetting" is taking 50 steps since the last time you chose it from the menu / pushed Y (if assigned to Y). Thus, chain length remains the same, and the game selects new patches. This will not break your chain, and give you another chance at seeing patches, possibly putting the 4-patch in a more desirable location. If not, walk 50 steps, careful not to step in a patch that shook, and "reset" the radar.

Trust me, on that last one, I thought "reset" meant "start the whole chain over again" when I first started. >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)