SM OU Looking for any suggestions or tips with a Mega Mawile Centered Team.

Self explanatory title, been using this team in Showdown often, with mediocre success. I'm pretty sure I have exactly 50% winrate with it, not sure if it's from my play or any flaws with the team. If it's the latter, then 'd love to get some suggestions to improve it.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Thunder Punch

As stated before, Mega Mawile is the core of the team. Standard Swords Dance set. I like having Thunder Punch over Knock Off to counter things like Toxapex and Rain Teams, with Pelipper and such. I also considered having Iron Head over Play Rough, as a check to Fairy Pokemon, but I've found that the extra damage from Play Rough has helped me out more. I'm not sure if the EV Spread with Max HP is the most optimal. Should I put EVs into Speed?

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Pretty standard All Out Attacker Greninja, I like having it for good coverage, checking a lot of Dragon Types, Landorus-T which I see everywhere, and sometimes I can catch people off guard with Grass Knot, taking out the likes of Mega Swampert and Tyranitar. Hidden Power Fire is specifically for Ferrothorn, which I had a bunch of trouble with. I used to have Gunk Shot as a check to Fairy types, but since I see so many Ferrothorns, I deemed HP Fire as more useful. I find myself using it as a lead often, to force out threats like Landorus-T. Also, I don't know if Choice Specs or Life Orb is a better item for this set. Life Orb with hail kinda sucks, but I don't know if I wanted to be restricted to one move for this Greninja.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Stone Edge

Garchomp has been a pretty good revenge killer, and sometimes a sweeper with Outrage. I picked it specifically to check Tapu Koko, as I had a lot of trouble with it, when Garchomp wasn't on my team. The Choice Scarf is there specifically to outspeed Tapu Koko. It also checks Heatran, which does a lot of damage to both my Greninja and Mega Mawile. Fire Fang is there for Ferrothorn, once again. Not sure if I should replace it with a different move, like Iron Head as a check to Fairy pokemon, or not.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Defog
- Surf
- Moonblast

Tapu Fini is my wall, I switch into it very often, as it can tank hits from a lot of things. It checks a bunch of threats to Mawile, like Heatran, Landorus-T, Charizard, Pokemon of that nature. The Misty Surge also helps a lot to prevent burns, as half of my team is very reliant on their high Attack Stat.

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Blizzard
- Hail
- Hypnosis

When there is no immediate threat to my team, and I don't have to lead with Garchomp or Greninja, I like to set up Aurora Veil. It makes it easy to switch in Mega Mawile, as Mawile already has a bunch of resistances, so it can tank a lot of the things that come at it. I opted for Blizzard over Freeze Dry as I already have Thunder Punch on Mega Mawile and Grass Knot on Greninja to check other water types. Hail is there to stop other Pokemon like Pelipper and Tyranitar from changing the weather, making sure I can get up my Aurora Veil.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

I didn't really know what to use for my last Pokemon, so I just put Landorus-T in. I needed a Pokemon with Stealth Rock, and I also wanted another check to Tapu Koko and other Electric Types, so Landorus-T seemed fitting. The Rocky Helmet is really nice, as I can switch Landorus-T into a lot of physical attackers, as it can tank the hit with Intimidate and it's high Defense, while causing recoil damage. Hidden Power Ice is there for it to face other Landorus-T's and potentially Dragon types like Garchomp and Zygarde.

I don't really see any glaring weaknesses with my team, but I'm sure a different set of eyes would help. The only problem I find myself having is the threat of Stealth Rocks for my Ninetales, as only Tapu Fini has Defog, so when it's taken out, Ninetales kinda just eats a bunch of damage when it switches in. Any help at all would be appreciated!

Couple things:

1. Change Mawile's set from this:
Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Thunder Punch

To

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

This lets you hit other fairies that might give you a hard time.

2. Greninja might be better as a battle bond mon with the following set:

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam/Spikes
- Dark Pulse

3. I don't know about double 4x flying type weakness on your team, so I'd change your lando-t to ferro. It has hail immunity, and does lando's job much better while also being able to resist many types. Try the following set:

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 100 Def / 152 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes/Protect
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball/Power Whip/Knock Off

Maybe change fire fang to fire blast on garchomp, other than that it seems pretty good, although I may be wrong.

Here's the team with my changes: http://pokepast.es/e63150405d9d0164

Hey cool team you have here I am going to attempt to rate it at the best of my abilities. Since Mawile has been allowed back into OU I have loved using it, hence why my first RMT featured it too. I do definitely see some flaws with the team, especially Ninetails stands out for me as this isn't a Hyper Offensive team.

Threats:

- Tapu Koko / Bulu / Lele all three of these have a field day with your team. While you do have two ground types for Koko they are both x4 weak to Ice and with the shuca set running around its is easier for it to pick them off. Your best Bulu switch-in is Mawile which isn't great as Mawile is quite fragile and with the likes of SD Bulu making a decent amount of usage again it isn't optimal. Same goes for Lele Mawile is your best switch-in but then can't Sucker Punch due to Psychic terrain.

- Water types such as Ash-Greninja, Scarf Greninja, rain teams are very problematic as you are reliant on Fini alone to wall them which isn't optimal when it lacks recovery. I personally love Fini and think it is underrated but it definitely needs a supportive backbone.

- A lot of steel types such as Mega Scizor hard wall a vast majority of your team and you are reliant on Greninja to deal with them with HP Fire, but once your opponent figures out you aren't Scarf or scouts for it you have a huge problem.

- Heatran can also be very problematic to switch into especially if it is Grassium-Z which you must scout for, but you do have ways to deal with it.

- You also lack a flying resist and while Hawlucha and Pinsir can be handled to an extent, Tornadus-T is ever prominent right now and has a field day too as Mawile is your best counter. This Pokemon is also very often found along some rain teams.

- Finally the last major threat I am going to acknowledge is Kartana which can run through this team once it sets up an SD or if it is scarf. While Gren can keep SD Kart slightly in check you have to either predict on the SD or let a Mon drop pretty much.

Major Changes:

>
- I would swap out Alolan Ninetails first of all as it doesn't fit the premise of this team and replacing it with the likes of a Ferrothorn because it provides you with a Koko switch-in and alleviates The rain and water match ups in general for Fini. It gives you your Stealth Rock user because I plan to change your Landorus set. It also is a decent switch into Lele. Gyro Ball being run to hit Lele and OHKO it.

>
- Next I would remove Garchomp for a Zapdos. Zapdos is very beneficial for your team as it can pressure the Steel types you struggle quite a bit with. Heat Wave being able to deal with Scizor and Ferrothorn and Discharge with it's paralysis chance is great for Mawile and Greninja. It provides a better answer too Kartana, Bulu and Tornadus-T. You also already have Defog on Tapu Fini which frees up a move slot to run HP Ice however I recommend Toxic because it helps vs Gastrodon and Bulky Grass types which can be problematic.

Minor Changes:

- I changed up the Mawile Ev spread to a more faster variant to outspeed Skarmory but a bulkier invested Mawile is by all means fine as well. Maybe mess around with calcs for that. Personally I think you can get away with not running Thunder Punch and go with Knock Off for all around team support but it's up to you. Which ever you personally prefer because bulky water types can still be problematic.

- I am going to recommend Ash-Greninja over the All-Out variant because it is a great core with Mega Mawile. I am going to recommend the Waterium-Z set because one you haven't used a Z move yet and two it can help muscle your way through bulkier Pokemon to get your form.
Other than that it is a standard set and provides Spikes support because Ferrothorn can't afford to run it. this alleviates your match-up vs stall and against bulky water and grass types.

- I will suggest running bulky scarf Landorus which is a great set right now being able to soft check Zygarde etc. Seeing as Defog is being run on Tapu Fini you are free to run Stone Edge / Rock Slide for Pinsir and to bait in Tornadus-T.

- Finally I have made a small change to your Fini set. I opted for Hydro Pump for more damage output but Surf is still an option, Scald can also be run for the chance to burn foes that aren't grounded. I changed the Ev spread a little to better handle Zygarde, Hawlucha and Medicham. I personally prefer using a Wiki berry which can catch some people off guard meaning you can revenge kill Hawlucha, Zygarde or Medicham after taking a hit from them. You can obviously run the usual Leftovers.

Optional Changes:

- You could swap out Tapu Fini for Toxapex or Gastrodon to better handle certain match-ups. Gastrodon hard walling Koko for example and Toxapex providing a good Volcarona switch-in and providing Toxic Spikes or Toxic support. If you opt for this change then I would run Defog on Landorus and swap out Stone Edge.

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off / Thunder Punch / Fire Fang

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Hydro Pump
- Calm Mind

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 136 HP / 128 Atk / 44 Def / 200 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Toxic

Greninja-Ash @ Waterium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

I hope these changes help do feel free to change up the movesets a little to your preference, enjoy and good luck with future team buildings. :)

Edit: You can also run hp fire on landorus over ice for kartana and scizor, or fire fang is also an option on mawile over knock off if the bulky steel types are problematic though they should be manageable

Last edited:
Hey cool team you have here I am going to attempt to rate it at the best of my abilities. Since Mawile has been allowed back into OU I have loved using it, hence why my first RMT featured it too. I do definitely see some flaws with the team, especially Ninetails stands out for me as this isn't a Hyper Offensive team.

Threats:

- Tapu Koko / Bulu / Lele all three of these have a field day with your team. While you do have two ground types for Koko they are both x4 weak to Ice and with the shuca set running around its is easier for it to pick them off. Your best Bulu switch-in is Mawile which isn't great as Mawile is quite fragile and with the likes of SD Bulu making a decent amount of usage again it isn't optimal. Same goes for Lele Mawile is your best switch-in but then can't Sucker Punch due to Psychic terrain.

- Water types such as Ash-Greninja, Scarf Greninja, rain teams are very problematic as you are reliant on Fini alone to wall them which isn't optimal when it lacks recovery. I personally love Fini and think it is underrated but it definitely needs a supportive backbone.

- A lot of steel types such as Mega Scizor hard wall a vast majority of your team and you are reliant on Greninja to deal with them with HP Fire, but once your opponent figures out you aren't Scarf or scouts for it you have a huge problem.

- Heatran can also be very problematic to switch into especially if it is Grassium-Z which you must scout for, but you do have ways to deal with it.

- You also lack a flying resist and while Hawlucha and Pinsir can be handled to an extent, Tornadus-T is ever prominent right now and has a field day too as Mawile is your best counter. This Pokemon is also very often found along some rain teams.

- Finally the last major threat I am going to acknowledge is Kartana which can run through this team once it sets up an SD or if it is scarf. While Gren can keep SD Kart slightly in check you have to either predict on the SD or let a Mon drop pretty much.

Major Changes:

>
- I would swap out Alolan Ninetails first of all as it doesn't fit the premise of this team and replacing it with the likes of a Ferrothorn because it provides you with a Koko switch-in and alleviates The rain and water match ups in general for Fini. It gives you your Stealth Rock user because I plan to change your Landorus set. It also is a decent switch into Lele. Gyro Ball being run to hit Lele and OHKO it.

>
- Next I would remove Garchomp for a Zapdos. Zapdos is very beneficial for your team as it can pressure the Steel types you struggle quite a bit with. Heat Wave being able to deal with Scizor and Ferrothorn and Discharge with it's paralysis chance is great for Mawile and Greninja. It provides a better answer too Kartana, Bulu and Tornadus-T. You also already have Defog on Tapu Fini which frees up a move slot to run HP Ice however I recommend Toxic because it helps vs Gastrodon and Bulky Grass types which can be problematic.

Minor Changes:

- I changed up the Mawile Ev spread to a more faster variant to outspeed Skarmory but a bulkier invested Mawile is by all means fine as well. Maybe mess around with calcs for that. Personally I think you can get away with not running Thunder Punch and go with Knock Off for all around team support but it's up to you. Which ever you personally prefer because bulky water types can still be problematic.

- I am going to recommend Ash-Greninja over the All-Out variant because it is a great core with Mega Mawile. I am going to recommend the Waterium-Z set because one you haven't used a Z move yet and two it can help muscle your way through bulkier Pokemon to get your form.
Other than that it is a standard set and provides Spikes support because Ferrothorn can't afford to run it. this alleviates your match-up vs stall and against bulky water and grass types.

- I will suggest running bulky scarf Landorus which is a great set right now being able to soft check Zygarde etc. Seeing as Defog is being run on Tapu Fini you are free to run Stone Edge / Rock Slide for Pinsir and to bait in Tornadus-T.

- Finally I have made a small change to your Fini set. I opted for Hydro Pump for more damage output but Surf is still an option, Scald can also be run for the chance to burn foes that aren't grounded. I changed the Ev spread a little to better handle Zygarde, Hawlucha and Medicham. I personally prefer using a Wiki berry which can catch some people off guard meaning you can revenge kill Hawlucha, Zygarde or Medicham after taking a hit from them. You can obviously run the usual Leftovers.

Optional Changes:

- You could swap out Tapu Fini for Toxapex or Gastrodon to better handle certain match-ups. Gastrodon hard walling Koko for example and Toxapex providing a good Volcarona switch-in and providing Toxic Spikes or Toxic support. If you opt for this change then I would run Defog on Landorus and swap out Stone Edge.

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off / Thunder Punch / Fire Fang

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Hydro Pump
- Calm Mind

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 136 HP / 128 Atk / 44 Def / 200 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Toxic

Greninja-Ash @ Waterium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

I hope these changes help do feel free to change up the movesets a little to your preference, enjoy and good luck with future team buildings. :)

Edit: You can also run hp fire on landorus over ice for kartana and scizor, or fire fang is also an option on mawile over knock off if the bulky steel types are problematic though they should be manageable

Thanks for the input! I'm somewhat new to the scene, so this helps a lot. I have one question, though. Why would you take Scald on Fini, doesn't the burn get nullified by Misty Terrain?

Thanks for the input! I'm somewhat new to the scene, so this helps a lot. I have one question, though. Why would you take Scald on Fini, doesn't the burn get nullified by Misty Terrain?
Yeah you are right but anyone who isn't grounded such as mega Pinsir and celesteela aren't affected by any terrain meaning you can still burn chance them. That's the only real reason to run it over hydro which is used for max dmg or surf being another option which is also more powerful than scald and more accurate compared to hydro.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)