Other Metagames Lord Willin' (Monotype Ground Team)

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion

Hello everyone, I am user: Wanka. This is going to be my first mono rmt of the new gen. There haven't really been many rmt's out yet and I finally have a team that doesn't/will not have any potentially banned or broken mons on it so I decided to let it loose. I've used this ground team to success on both the ladder and in recent tournament play, which is why I chose it. I haven't peaked or anything with it as I generally don't have the motivation nor time to do such a thing, but I'm hovering around top 25 rn so It's good enough. I'll probably ladder more to see how high I can eventually get but it's all G. Enjoy!

Process:
Duggy has sprouted into a very reliable mon for ground teams with its trapping capabilities and attack buff. Helps me handle set up sweepers in general and traps certain wall breakers that are headaches to deal with.
It is good for every successful ground team to have something that can take on water attacks and seis is one of the best at that with it's ability in water absorb.

I wanted to try out double dance lando T in the SM meta with it being able to abuse some of the Z moves.
Hippo is a general good check to a lot of physical wall breakers and has phazing capabilities along with reliable recovery. Also key for setting sand.
Standard sand abuser in exca. All around reliable wall breaker and speed control.
Since I'm using Lando T, I needed some sort of special attacking presence and nidoking fit the bill. good typing and coverage for ground teams.

Squad:

3 floor shits (Dugtrio) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Screech
- Stone Edge

As I said, duggy has emerged into a reliable mon for ground teams that has the ability to trap some dangerous offensive threats in the new meta. The new attack buff also is helpful as it was really weak in previous gens and couldn't afford to run much other than CB or LO. EQ is its stronger stab ofc. EQ + sucker combo is enough to take down mega metagross and sucker punch is nice in general to pick off things that alolan raichu who are really annoying for ground teams to face. Screech is situational but It's nice as an emergency check to bulky set up sweepers to force them out after duggy dies or severely weaken them. Stone edge rounds out it's coverage and is specifically nice for something like volcarona.

JUICE (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 100 SpA / 104 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Grass Knot

Hippowdon is generally the most reliable SR user for ground teams, but I've liked having it on seis a bit more for this ground team. Hippo is more susceptible to taunt users and more people play around hippo actually having rocks. With them on seis, I can get around those taunt users and leads, which has been more reliable for me. Toxic helps me handle things like rotom W, zapdos, and mantine better as they would be annoying to handle and can defog my pebbles away. GK is nice coverage for other toads and gastros and scald rounds out the set for as a stab move with that reliable burn chance.

Sabs300 (Landorus-Therian) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Most ground teams prefer the Incarnate form as the go to lando form to use on ground teams as it is more of a staple. However, Lando T adds a whole new element to ground teams and brings a lot of versatility with it. I personally wanted to try out double dance and see how it would do in the new meta. The z moves make it that much more of a potent cleaner/ sweeper and it really shows when used. I'm using the rock z item that provides either a stat cleaning RP or a nuke of a rock move in Continental Crush. I decided to go with the rock z item because things like celesteela and skarmory can be really annoying for my team to deal with on both flying and steel teams. Nido can 1v1 them, but it puts a lot of pressure on it as well so I like having lando to be able to put them out of commission first. The flying z item is also very viable from what i've heard so you could get away with using it as well. I am yet to try it so I cant give much input but it probably helps a lot vs fighting and grass which ground tends to struggle with as well as do well vs most types in general. You could mess around with the evs and add some bulk, but I just haven't had time to completely figure out the speed tiers so I just went with max speed.

Smile (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind
- Toxic

There isn't too much special about what hippowdown does other than the fact that i threw toxic on it since toad is my rocker. In the filler slot you could think of other things to use like maybe stone edge to take out zard y if u have sand up or something like mega pinsir. I just like having toxic to cripple defensive back bones and make it easier for the rest of the team to break through them. That being said, hippos main role is to provide sand support for excadrill and to take on physical attackers, phaze, and be an annoyance with slack off. Again, nothing too special, but it gets the job done.

Jaden (Excadrill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

Exca's role for my team and most grounds team's is also quite simple. It works as a fantastic wall breaker with a choice band and posses cleaning capabilities thanks to sand rush and sand support from hippowdon. You could run something like rapid spin in the last slot over x scissor, but It is somewhat counterproductive as you should be using the effort it takes to get exca in to hammer away at opponents rather than spinning. It would help slightly in my case since I rely on sash duggy to check certain threats, but it hasn't been an issue so far. X scissor also eases prediction against psychic builds as I don't have to worry about playing mins games around levitating mons with EQ.

Vizone (Nidoking) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Toxic Spikes

Since I am unable to use grounds most prominent special attacker in Lando I, the next best ground type that fills the role as a special attacker is nidoking. While inferior, it still brings to the table some different things that lando doesn't. Its blast beam coverage is greatly appreciated by the ground type as is its poison type, which gives it some minor defensive utility. I personally like running t spikes whenever I use it to make things like exca even more threatening along with SR. In my case specifically, it also helps out lando T. Sludge wave isn't that much of a necessity since you are going to be clicking coverage moves a lot and ground/fire/ice cover everything on grass teams anyways. I also have exca as a primary wincon against fairy teams so sludge isn't that valuable their either. It could still definitely be used to hit things like rotom and mega venusaur harder.

THREATS:

Both forms can be considered as threats. Ash gren is way harder to deal with than regular forms because ash gren uses water shuriken is 99% of its sets so it is extremely difficult to take out. Regular greninja is more manageable since most reg forms don't use shuriken but it is still a threat for sure. Hopefully the ash form gets banned ):

Very annoying to deal with on both grass and poison teams. It can just lead and immediately pressure my team so you really gotta play carefully around it. Lando T and overwhelm it and I can trap it and do good damage with duggy with the screech + eq combo. Or force it out at the least and do my best to play around it.

CELESTEELA

Sets with leech seed and protect can be really annoying to play around. Lando does a good job and nuking it and making it more manageable and nidoking can do a lot with fblast or force it out. crippling it with toad helps as well.

KOKO AND ALOLAN RAICHU

both have grass coverage and certain raichu sets use hp ice so these too can be tough given how fast they are. duggy traps raichu 100% and potentially koko, but they still are threats given their speed and coverage.

dd mega gyara will always be a threat to ground teams. Duggy + exca played well can handle it, but it can still be tough to handle. in regards to hoopa, I have no switchins for scarf and specs sets. lando can bluff and set up on it tho which is nice and duggy traps it as well.

Replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-502825034 vs psy
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-502814879 vs dark
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-502795893 vs psy again
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-501992488 vs steel (has kart in it but w/e)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-501968994 vs water
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-502137064 (team tour vs ant)

3 floor shits (Dugtrio) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Screech
- Stone Edge

JUICE (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 100 SpA / 104 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Grass Knot

Sabs300 (Landorus-Therian) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Smile (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind
- Toxic

Jaden (Excadrill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

Vizone (Nidoking) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Toxic Spikes

s/o woa and IW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)