SM RU Lucid Dreams

you left me falling and landing inside my grave
i know that you want me dead
i take prescriptions to make me feel a-okay
i know it's all in my hea
d

Introduction

Hello, and welcome to my first RMT since I joined Smogon, Lucid Dreams (forget me). I've had my fair share of troubles on Smogon trying to find a community and a passion, but across my journey I've found countless friends and icons that have made me the person I am today and I am still trying to improve myself. The song listed above is one of my favorite songs rn, and I was extremely conflicted whether to make this the song or another track, Biking, by Frank Ocean, but decided to go with this. This team was the first team I built for RUPL, specifically for Teddeh, but its taken me a long way and been extremely dependable throughout my time with it. I am making this with a goal in mind to try to change my poor image and past on Smogon, and with my own personal desires to improve upon it. I hope you enjoy my first RMT.

i still see your shadows in my room
can't take back the love that i gave yo
u

Teambuilding Process

I built this team around a super cool Pokemon shown to me by a good friend of mine named cyanize: Choice Specs Ninetales. Drought was not banned in the RU tier, and so Ninetales is an extremely powerful Pokemon that decimates even things that resist it, and made even more powerful by the lack of Fire resists in the tier. Ninetales is often thought of using its Nasty Plot set, but the initial power from the Choice Specs makes it an ideal breaker in the tier.

Gligar was chosen to be a good bulky pivot that would function well with Ninetales, as it would provide a useful set of resistances, an immunity to Ground, as well as great defensive stats and an ability that prevents it from being poisoned. Mandibuzz was originally in this spot, but I wanted Gligar's unique typing over Mandibuzz in context of the team.

Blastoise was chosen because of it being both the best spinner in the tier, but overall just the best Mega available in the RU tier. It possesses great all-around stats with a phenomenal and unpredictable movepool that makes it very useful to the team.

Bronzong is the rocker for the team, being both extremely bulky and having great typing, letting it come in many times during a match.

The team needed a Scarfer at this point, preferably one that could pivot, so I chose Flygon. It also was extremely valuable as I was not running Earthquake on Gligar and provided me an offensive Salazzle check.

I needed a fast setup Pokemon that could deal with Water-types effectively, and Virizion was the obvious choice. It also gave me a much-needed Knock Off absorber and a check to annoying Pokemon like Snorlax.

easier said than done
i thought you were the one
listening to my heart instead of my head
you found another one, but
i am the better one
i won't let you forget m
e

The Team

Ninetales @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat
- Psyshock
- Solar Beam
-
Fire Blast

Ninetales is the star of the show on this team. Drought is such an incredible ability and Ninetales is the obvious offensive abuser, with great Speed and pretty decent Special Attack. Choice Specs bring Ninetales' power even higher on top of everything. Most of the time, it comes in, uses Overheat, and gets the hell outta there. Its such a perfect hit-and-run Pokemon and it does so much damage, especially to Pokemon that Virizion or Flygon wants chipped, such as Mega Blastoise, Milotic, and others. The fear of Solar Beam prevents a lot of typical Fire-type switch-ins from entering, so only specific Pokemon can switch in, such as Dragalge, which gets chunked by Psyshock, or Tyrantrum, who takes a surprising amount from Overheat anyway.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 80 SpD / 156 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Roost
-
Taunt

Gligar is an extremely potent pivot, while also being extremely multi-dimensional in what people expect from it. This is one of the most unconventional Gligar sets out there, but it has its perks to it. I wanted both Taunt and Toxic, but Knock Off covered so many things. FlamingVictini brought up a really good question regarding Gligar's 4MSS: What does Earthquake actually provide? We determined that with the exception of Salazzle and Toxicroak, honestly, it did not provide very much useful coverage. I then decided on the Taunt / Toxic set which can beat fat teams extremely effectively. The spread was determined to give Gligar a very similar bulk to Mandibuzz, which is what was originally in the spot, but I wanted Gligar's unique typing over Mandibuzz in context of the team. The speed investment allows it to comfortably outspeed fast Mandibuzz spreads, Tsareena, Cresselia, Tyrantrum, and Honchkrow.

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisenite
Ability: Torrent
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
-
Rapid Spin

Blastoise is one of the most potent Pokemon in the tier. It provides the team's hazard control, being able to freely spin on a lot of Pokemon, including common rockers that it forces out, such as Rhyperior and Bronzong. Mega Blastoise has amazing coverage because it is able to fire off Mega Launcher-boosted Dark Pulses, and it can even opt to bluff Aura Sphere, depending on the matchup. Dark Pulse prevents Ghost-types like Jellicent from spinblocking Mega Blastoise, and Ice Beam is incredibly useful to hit Grass-types like Roserade and Virizion. I personally find a Timid nature on Blastoise necessary to prevent it from getting outsped by things like Nidoqueen as well as other common threats. Scald is the STAB move of choice, as it is often reduced in power due to Drought's effect, and can be used to fish for burns on many Pokemon who think they can safely switch into Blastoise, such as Virizion.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
-
Psywave
- Toxic
-
Protect

Bronzong is the rocker on the team, while acting as the check to Psychic- and Fairy-types that run throughout the tier. It can also act as another Ice-type check, which can cause issues for the team as Blastoise and Ninetales can be quickly worn down. Instead of going fully invested in Special Defense I opted to invest some in Defense which maximized the chance that Bronzong would be able to beat a Choice Banded Escavalier 1v1 with the aid of protect. Psywave is the most useful move on Bronzong, allowing it to hit Steel-types like Escavalier and opposing Bronzong, while also being a consistent way to do damage to the opponent.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace

Flygon is here to provide a fast pivot and revenge killer, and it does an exceptional job at this. A fast U-turn is a massive plus to a team momentum-wise, and Flygon's decent offensive presence and good typing allows it to pressure teams incredibly hard. Aerial Ace is specifically to deal with opposing Virizion, which could be an issue for this team otherwise if it is given a free turn sometime during the game. Flygon also deals with Poison-types that could cause the team issues, in particular Salazzle, Toxicroak and Dragalge.

Virizion @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Virizion is another incredible Pokemon in the RU tier as of recent, carrying amazing Speed, coverage, and setup in Swords Dance, and is actually monstrously bulky in Special Defense, being able to take some of the most powerful of Special Attacks and retaliate appropriately. Virizion is my Z-move user of choice for its ability to hit the opponent with a powerful no-drawbacks Fighting-type move, often boosted by Swords Dance, and it can be crucial in a sweep where Virizion cannot afford to lower one of its defensive stats. Stone Edge allows Virizion to hit Flying-types like Moltres which resist both of its STAB attacks normally.

Conclusion
Well, here was my first RMT. I'll keep this conclusion short, and go straight to some replays, importable, and finally shoutouts. I hope you guys enjoyed.

did this shit in the past
but i want it to last
you were made outta plastic, fake
i was tangled up in your drastic ways
who knew evil girls have the prettiest fac
e

Replays
(right indicates the user of my team, along with given setting of the game.)
vs. Teddeh (RUPL)
vs. FlamingVictini (RU Winter Seasonal)
vs. DurzaOffTopic (USUM RU Cup)
vs. DurzaOffTopic (RUPL)
vs. DurzaOffTopic (USUM RU Cup)

This team has also notched 3 PSPL wins so far, as can be seen here by me, here by rafooa, and here by Offler.

Ninetales @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Psyshock
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 72 SpD / 164 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Roost
- Taunt

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psywave
- Toxic
- Protect

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace

Virizion @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

I'm not badged so this may not ping all of you if any of you, if you see somebody on here and they were not alerted, it would be awesome if you could show them I was thinking about them.

edit: Thimo: You're the best boy in the whole world :D

FlamingVictini: Wow. You gave me a shot this RUPL, and I tried my best to not take it for granted. I'm so thankful that you gave me a chance despite what anybody else might have said. You're one of the nicest people ever to talk to, and I hope everything goes well for you in college! Good luck with that piano stuff as well, remember not to bend your wrists!

Ransei: You've been one of my closest friends here for about 2 years now. I talk to you almost every day, and I honestly couldn't imagine being on PS! without you. I remember the weeks leading up to me going to military school and how we used to stay up wayy through the night to do everything from randbats to building random BH sets to Classic Hackmons to arguing with Tyler whether or not Ultra Beasts are legendary. Its funny how two people with completely different personalities can be such close friends. At least thats how I feel about you. I hope you feel the same way.

Wob: Roombanned me from Mafia on my birthday. SMH. Still my first friend and one of my closest friends here. Keep it up buddy. Mini shoutout to jumbowhales

obii, Zamrock, and Teddeh (oh and i guess TDK and oldhead Aeroblacktyl): You guys are awesome! So happy to get to know all of you guys who I've looked up to in the tournament community forever. Special shoutout to Teddeh of course since we had that special bond throughout the season :]
edit: OBII IM NOT EUROPEAN

neomon: A total day 1 from NU, we stopped talking when I stopped playing NU for the most part, but hopefully we'll start to get back into it more now that we're into NUPL. Awesome, funny guy. You're the man.

edit: Stan Soojung: krystaal!!! i almost forgot you. you were another awesome friend from NU and also RU, thanks for being cool.

passion: You're one of the coolest guys out there who is always there to support me when I need you. I look up to you in how you were able to turn yourself into the person you are, and I wish I could ever have it inside of me to do it myself.

TSR: Hey man, think you deserved a shoutout here. Wish we talked more, hope you're well despite Walmart taking over your life.

Sage: Gligarbro, really? Forever idol from Mafia ends up being one of my best friends in UU but doesn't tell me who he is? Come on man. Thanks for always being there for me and relentless RU tests.

Zesty43, cromagnet42, Fardin and Cam: The boys. You know who you are.

Synoptic: EDIT: had to move you out of the AG boys because of complaints from various user. Come back you cuck.

faded love, vivalospride, Lixx: The UU boys. You know who you are.

Disjunction and Sir Kay: I know I don't mean much to you guys, but you were super supportive of me during my time in NU and I'm Eternally grateful for it.

pinktidal, Diagnostic, Aaronboyer, and the rest of the ZU guys: Hi!!! just wanted to let you know that I'm loving the community and having a ton of fun with you guys.

SpaceBass: HINDI HINDI HINDI HINDI HINDI

rssp1: You're cool. We've been through a lot since your time as Mafia RO when you thought i was nothing but an annoying kid. Now you think that I'm a slighty more annoying kid ;).

greentee: greentee (VSS)

Chloe and Quantum Tesseract and the other OMers: Hi!!!! can't forget you as you guys really got me into mons. Thanks for being more supportive of me as I tried to improve myself.

yogi: its almost 2 am and i can't come up with anything stupid to say to you. you're pretty cool though.

cyanize and TheWall: Hey, you've done a ton getting me involved in the RU community. Thanks guys, also for the incessant testing and hours that you put up with me :) (mini shoutout here to eifo!)

Kink: You're actually a really cool dude. We've had our differences in the past but in all honesty you know what I think of you :)

Snaquaza: I know you dont really do mons now but I just wanted to let you know that you mean a lot to me and you've always been awesome. Thanks man.

i'll do it over again
i didn't want it to end
i watch it blow in the wind
i should've listened to my friend
s

Last edited:

teachable

Banned deucer.
Heya, pretty good representation of RU Balance with this squad! There's a few non-meta Pokemon that'd give this trouble (Sub Hoopa/SD Sneasel particularly) but overall solid & balanced. There's some problem mons like Roserade, Bulky CM Meloetta, random stuff, but its offensive enough to avoid putting you in a losing position. GJ Fam :)

Last edited:
hello, glad you're enjoying ru and congrats on its success on tours!

while I think physdef zong is a cool variant imo it definitely needs gyro ball to actually check Tyrantrum and faster stuff like Noivern (both of which you're actually really weak to). toxic is probably the move it needs the least so replace that. consider running psyshock over protect to real with roserade better, but that may leave you prone to being trapped by escav so it's mostly up to you.

i feel like timid stoise is an outdated set in a meta where entei is freed. while you do lose out on timid queen, thats basically the only relevant benchmark it gets outsped by (imo timid queen also sucks but w/e). changing it to a bulkier spread is necessary so youre not as weak to entei as you are rn. running the spread below lets you avoid the 2hko from enteis flare blitz after rocks damage and enough speed to creep the whole 242 speed benchmark (with mons like bewear, cresselia, mandibuzz, pangoro ect) and a dump in special attack to maximize its offensive presence.
Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 168 HP / 136 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin

consider running hp ice over psyshock. hp ice lets you hit dragons like noivern, flygon, zydog and offensive dragalges, while psyshock only really hits specially defensive dragalge. not that big of a change but I feel other dragons are more of a threat to this team that dragalge.

hope this helped and good luck with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)