############
name: Wallbreaker
move 1: Dynamic Punch
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Bullet Punch / Toxic
ability: No Guard
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def (I'm a little iffy on this spread, open to suggestions)
nature: Adamant

Moves
#######

- Dynamic Punch has a 100% chance to induce confusion, and is Machamp's go-to STAB attack
- Knock Off provides useful support and hits defensive Ghost-types right where it hurts
- Stone Edge hits Flying- and Bug-types that resist its main STAB
- Bullet Punch takes out faster, weakened threats
- Toxic, however, cripples walls that Machamp can't get past with its other three attacks

Set Details
#########

- Life Orb is the preferred item, as Machamp appreciates the extra firepower
- Leftovers can be used for greater longevity
- HP and Defense EVs give Machamp some bulk
- 252 Attack EVs and an Adamant nature allow Machamp to hit as hard as possible
- No Guard is extremely important, as it essentially gives Dynamic Punch and Stone Edge 100% accuracy

Usage Tips
##########

- This set should be used to break down walls for another teammate to sweep
- If you predict a switch to a bulky Pokemon, it's best to go for Toxic on the switch, then confuse them with Dynamic Punch
- If you predict a switch into a faster Pokemon, it's best to use Dynamic Punch on the switch

Team Options
##########

- Pokemon that can clean up after Machamp has done the dirty work are greatly appreciated. Starmie and Weavile are examples.
- Pokemon that can switch into Flying- and Psychic-types pair well with Machamp. Bronzong is a good example
- Pokemon that can deal with common physical walls such as Slowbro make good teammates. Starmie, Chandelure, and Manectric are good examples
- Bulky pivots make great teammates, as Machamp will often be forced out after taking down a Pokemon, and in these situations, it needs to fall back on teammates that can switch in safely
- This set appreciates Sticky Web support from Shuckle, Smeargle and Galvantula, as it aids Machamp's wallbreaking abilities by allowing to it to outpace many Pokemon that could normally revenge kill it

Other Options
###########

- A set centered around Guts
- Bulk Up set
- Choice Band set
- Choice Scarf allows Machamp to outspeed and net surprise kills, but there are MUCH, MUCH better revenge killers out there
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Checks and Counters
##############

- Florges
- Trevenant
- Sableye
- Cofagrigus
- Crobat
- Azelf
- Starmie
- Cresselia
- Slowbro
- Suicune

Last edited:

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I find that ScarfChamp works quite nicely as a 'surprise' set; fast Knock Offs against unsuspecting Ghost-types, DynamicPunches that can give you a free turn, etc.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
I find that ScarfChamp works quite nicely as a 'surprise' set; fast Knock Offs against unsuspecting Ghost-types, DynamicPunches that can give you a free turn, etc.
Hmm that's definitely an interesting set. I'll include it in the analysis if QC approves :)

Last edited:

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
This is good, but most things you do are pretty good in general

First set

I suggest the first set spread be 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def with an Adamant nature. Also, I would totally get rid of Toxic on the set, and replace it with Ice Punch. Toxic does not have much use on Machamp due to its 4MSS, so use Ice Punch. Don't use LO, use lefties, as Machamp has no recovery. The power drop is cringeworthy, but Machamp has no other way to stay on the field.

Other Options

Mention Bullet Punch, as it is seen commonly on machamp and is just good priority in general. It's not good enough for sets, however. Earthquake also deserves a mention, due to its high base power and accuracy.

C+C

Mention Florges. Florges 2HKOs with Moonblast, takes a 3HKO from Bullet Punch, and can recover its health back with Wish. Sableye is also a scary counter, as Machamp can't do a thing to it and it has prankster WoW. Trevenant also has WoW, and knock off won't do much as well harvest going into play.

May add to this later :)

I haven't used Machamp at all, but doesn't Assault Vest warrant a mention somewhere? This thing is a decently bulk all-out attacker, and it would appreciate the bulk to be able to fire off more Dynamicpunches.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Also, I would totally get rid of Toxic on the set, and replace it with Ice Punch. Toxic does not have much use on Machamp due to its 4MSS, so use Ice Punch. Don't use LO, use lefties, as Machamp has no recovery. The power drop is cringeworthy, but Machamp has no other way to stay on the field.
I disagree with you here. What does Ice Punch actually cover, and is it really worth a moveslot? Meanwhile, Machamp naturally lures physically defensive Pokemon and walls in general, and Toxic capitalizes on this, crippling them for the rest of the match and possibly allowing Machamp to get past that particular check later in the game.
Also, the first set is meant to be, first and foremost, a wallbreaker. I get it, Lefties is good for passive recovery, but Machamp really needs all the power it can get in order to fulfill its role.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
I haven't used Machamp at all, but doesn't Assault Vest warrant a mention somewhere? This thing is a decently bulk all-out attacker, and it would appreciate the bulk to be able to fire off more Dynamicpunches.
Interesting. I will include it. Do you think it warrants it own separate set, or should I slash it in the first set?

Interesting. I will include it. Do you think it warrants it own separate set, or should I slash it in the first set?
I think it warrants a slash. I honestly feel like Life Orb isn't really a necessary slash... I mean is Machamp even really a wallbreaker? It's walled to hell and back by common stall Pokemon such as Sableye and Cofagrigus (Who I just realized isn't/should be in C&C), meaning it really doesn't "break walls" all that well. Personally, the slashes should be Assault Vest / Leftovers with Life Orb mentioned in the Set Details. I mean at least in my experience, Machamp tends to play much more like a Bulky Attacker than a wallbreaker, making Assault Vest a much more helpful item.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
I think it warrants a slash. I honestly feel like Life Orb isn't really a necessary slash... I mean is Machamp even really a wallbreaker? It's walled to hell and back by common stall Pokemon such as Sableye and Cofagrigus (Who I just realized isn't/should be in C&C), meaning it really doesn't "break walls" all that well. Personally, the slashes should be Assault Vest / Leftovers with Life Orb mentioned in the Set Details. I mean at least in my experience, Machamp tends to play much more like a Bulky Attacker than a wallbreaker, making Assault Vest a much more helpful item.
Toxic completely cripples the Pokemon that you mentioned, allowing Machamp to finish it off later in the match. Machamp has something no other wallbreaker has: a 100% accurate Dynamic Punch. Half the time, Machamp's switch-ins won't be able to heal up, allowing Machamp to 3HKO certain Pokemon on the switch, which is huge. Why throw away that sheer wallbreaking power that works so well in tandem with Dynamic Punch for an Assault Vest? AV Machamp has a completely different role than LO Machamp, and LO Machamp is a viable wallbreaker. I think there should be two sets for the two different items.

Toxic completely cripples the Pokemon that you mentioned, allowing Machamp to finish it off later in the match. Machamp has something no other wallbreaker has: a 100% accurate Dynamic Punch. Half the time, Machamp's switch-ins won't be able to heal up, allowing Machamp to 3HKO certain Pokemon on the switch, which is huge. Why throw away that sheer wallbreaking power that works so well in tandem with Dynamic Punch for an Assault Vest? AV Machamp has a completely different role than LO Machamp, and LO Machamp is a viable wallbreaker. I think there should be two sets for the two different items.
Yes but in order to get that Toxic off, you're probably going to have to eat a Will-O-Wisp... Also Aromatherapy Florges / Heal Bell Umbreon are just about on every team so I don't think it's really all that effective.

Idk, like I said I haven't used Machamp at all this gen, only played against it, all I know is that if I wanted a Fighting-type wallbreaker I'd probably go with SD/Band Herracross or LO Mienshao. But yeah it's your analysis so do as you please :]

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Stuff that's happened so far:

- Main set will be kept for now.
- Will add Assault Vest and SubChamp shortly

To discuss

- Should the BU set be kept?
- Should a Choice Scarf set be added to surprise and KO faster Pokemon?
- Should a Choice Band set be added for more power?

Discuss!

Last edited:

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
LO Machamp is not a viable set, imo. The only sets machamp should be running are AV or CB, with maybe a scarf mention in oo (maybe)

machamp and specs should not even be mentioned in the same sentence

Stuff that's happened so far:

- Main set will be kept for now.
- Will add Assault Vest and SubChamp shortly

To discuss

- Should the BU set be kept?
- Should a Choice Scarf set be added to surprise and KO faster Pokemon?
- Should a Choice Band set be added for more power?
- Should a Choice SPECS set be added? (before you dis it immediately, it catches everything that normally checks Machamp COMPLETELY OFF GUARD, potentially netting a KO. Second, people are sick and tired of missing Focus Blast, but this way, Focus Blast hits all the time! The set can use a lot of other powerful but inaccurate moves such as Fire Blast and Thunder to great effect. Machamp also gets access to Vacuum Wave, allowing it to revenge kill faster, weakened threats)

Discuss!
BU: IMO not worth it, BU users kinda sorta suck. It's bulk is ok but not the best and this set's prone af to being revenge killed. It can go to OO imo.
Scarf: Completely outclassed by Meinshao/Heracross so no.
Band: Can go OO
Specs: No lol.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
why the fuck would you use specs machamp

i cant even tell if you are trolling or just ignorant
I'm not trolling and I'm not ignorant. Not sure if you have a grudge against me but w/e

Putting BU and all the things I said to discuss in OO.

Reactions: tab

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wait wat specs? With base 65 SpA and a horrendous movepool? It'd catch them off guard, then get OHKOed straight back lololol

edit: oml worst 100th post

Last edited:
Assault Vest
############
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Dynamic Punch
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Bullet Punch
ability: No Guard
item: Assault Vest
evs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
nature: Adamant

This should probably be the main set. The given Speed Evs allows you to outspeed standard Umbreon and Vaporeon.

Will add more later.

If Specs Machamp isn't trolling I don't even know anymore

Pokemon that can reliably deal with Psychic- and Flying-types are greatly appreciated.
Like...?

Machamp has more problems than just weaknesses and resistances. Bullet Punch is weak and wouldn't stop anything from revenging Machamp, so add in some revenge killers, or really anything that resists Fighting since whatever can eat a DPunch and fight back is pretty much checking Machamp

Also because people are fast: I would just use Magcargo 2s set with Band and AV as slashes.

Also lol if you really mean Specs Machamp is viable idk what life is

"i'm going to add a gimmicky set that is terrible in the metagame due to the fact that it still doesnt do shit for damage even with specs and having stab and fire blast as the movepool and call it a day, that'll impress the cc team"

jesus christ please stop

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
For everyone criticizing me for saying to discuss SpecsChamp, I never thought it would actually deserve a set. In fact, I thought it was the most stupid idea thought up by anyone on the planet. You can shut up now about SpecsChamp and focus your attention on improving the analysis, for christ's sake.

Reactions: tab
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)