ORAS OU Make it rain!- ORAS OU singles rain team

Hi all,
So because I'm relatively new to competitive battling I was never around for Rain's heyday in the competitive environment. However, recently I was fiddling around with weather themed teams and discovered that rain is still broken as hell. Of course, due to my inexperience with competitive battling, let alone rain, I didn't and still don't have much of a clue how to build a strong rain team. Therefore, any suggestions would be much appreciated. Anyway, let's begin.

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Rest
Politoed, being the only OU user of drizzle, is of course my rain lead. Scald is an alright attack, with the bonus of crippling physical attackers thanks to a burn chance. Toxic can force switches, whilst encore does the same thing. Rest is basically the only way for Politoed to recover, but as all he needs to do to set up rain is switch in, this isn't a problem.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Low Kick
Kabutops is a physical sweeper with added rapid spin support, and is incredibly broken in the rain thanks to swift swim. Waterfall is great STAB and is boosted by the rain. Stone Edge is more STAB and is great coverage. Rapid Spin provides much needed hazard removal, and low kick hits several Pokemon incredibly hard.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 28 Atk / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Rash Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
Kingdra is technically a mixed sweeper, however is leaning towards the special side of things. Hydro Pump is great STAB, and normally gives a OHKO. Draco Meteor is also very useful. Waterfall allows Kingdra to still attack after the special drop from Draco Meteor. Ice Beam hits dragon, grass and flying types incredibly hard.

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Superpower
Swampert is amazingly OP in the rain, often sweeping 3+ Pokemon a game. Waterfall is STAB and is boosted by rain. Earthquake can hit steel types and fire types, as well as some electric types. Ice Punch hits dragon, flying and grass Pokemon hard, although keeping Swampert out against grass types is too risky for my liking. Superpower is a last ditch/late game move, or on the last turn of rain, as the stat drop is more crippling than one would imagine.

Klefki @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
- Flash Cannon
Klefki is my crucial backup rain maker. Thanks to prankster, it will always go first with the rain dance. Thunder Wave allows it to spread annoying paralysis, and foul play hits specially biased Pokemon very hard. Flash Cannon is steel type STAB that can hit almost hard.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Surf
- Roost
Finally, there is Dragonite. I originally put it on my team to play around with the idea of hurricane and thunder on the same Pokemon, and he sort of never left. Hurricane is good STAB with a high base power and accuracy in the rain. Thunder hits other water types pretty well, whilst surf is boosted in the rain. Roost just restores multiscale.

So that's my team. Again, any input will be much appreciated. I'll try to post an exportable version if that's your thing. Thanks, bye

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Hi ong1324, I would like to help this team out a slight bit.

Edit/Delete the first comment and put your team into this http://pastebin.com/

First of all it would be good to mention what the spread for Politoed and Kingdra do exactly. This helps people understand what the pread does and helps them evaluate and change it if it is needed.

Next thing that should be pointed out is that the team has so much water offense. This can be quite trouble some since almost every bulky water type. (Slowbro, Suicune, etc.)
The team also has a very difficult time dealing with weather wars, battling sand teams or Mega Charizard Y.
And lastly the team has no actual sweeper.

although rapid spin helps with not being broken down by hazards a reliable sweeper is more important especially on a hyper offensive rain team like this.
Swords Dance >>> Rapid Spin

<
Ludicolo would help this team vastly coverage wise and it would make it easier to hit water types. The set that should be ran is Giga Drain / Hydro Pump / Ice Beam / Focus Blast

Although Mega Swampert seems to be a perfect fit for the team it doesn't have to superb wall breaking potential that pokemon like Kabutops need to support it. A pokemon like Mega Medicham would fit perfectly for this spot being able to blow back walls that would stop Kabutops
>>>

The Klefki set is really good but remove Flash Cannon for Spikes or Magnet Rise, preferably Spikes.
Spikes allow the team break easier and get crucial KOs
Magnet Rise could help in weather wars where a Tyranitar ir an Excadrill might want to Earthquake then you can Rain Dance the following turn.
Spikes >>> Flash Cannon

As good as Dragonite's rain coverage is it just doesn't do it's job well enough and any of the listed pokemon below could take it's place.

• Tornadus Therian adds a nice Pivot to the team that also appreciates being able to spam Hurricanes without missing. Regenerator combined with U-turn allows nice Mobility between team mates and is just solid overall
  • Thundurus adds a powerful Special Sweeper that also helps with the Bulky Water Type crisis. It isn't forced to rely on speed and has Taunt to add for support as well as Volt Switch for mobility. Also has priority Toxic and Thunder Wave
  • Raikou is a good Calm Mind sweeper with a good speed tier. Isn't reliant on rain and can run an AV set for a nice pivot and once again has Volt Switch for pivoting.
  • Heliolisk has a great rain abusive movepool that regains health every turn with rain up and has access to Surf and Thunder. Do I have to mention Volt Switch.
  • Ferrothorn being able to abuse the fact Fire isn't as effective can make a good stealth rocker or just something to punish Physical Attackers in general. But can also run Toxic for wearing down walls that threaten the team.

I hope I was of assistance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)