Maloman tries UU. And fails.....

Ok this is my first UU team so please be nice since this is unexplored territory for me so yeah. I always thought UU was fun be I never tried it out with success. So anyway here is my team. And I will post pictures eventually since all you see here is type on an iPod at 2 am. If there is a website that is compatible to i can get 5th gen files to put on here to make it more appealing.

Flygon (M) @ Choice scarf
Trait: levitate
EVs: 252 Atk */ 4 Def / 252 Spe*
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

So Flygon is my major speed demon on this fail of a team. But it makes a great scout with U-turn and good speed and attack. Also it has dual STAB. So it can revenge a crap load of pokemon and do prior damage so other pokemon can use the pokemon U-turn'd on as death fodder.

So there is the basic psysical attacker EV spread. So there is the niché of Flygon's moves. U-turn, Outrage and Earthquake. Stone works as a filler.

Empoleon (M) @ leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spe
Calm Nature (+SDef, Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar

So Empoleon is my Stealth Rocker and also my specially bulky wall. It has great typing and a good movepool plus scald to give physical sweepers a nasty burn. So it hurts to make contact. Ouch!

So the moves are basic. Stealth Rocks for hazards. Scald is for physical sweepers and fire types while ice beam is for grass and dragon types. Roar is for phazing set up sweepers or walls. Or just to make sure when they switch in they have to deal with more stealth rocks.

Lilligant* (F) @ leftovers
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Petal Dance
- Hidden power [Fire]

so Lilligant is a pretty flower that look harmless but it makes a powerful sweeper because of its great special attack and access to sleep powder and quiver dance. It can be a great clean up sweeper and also can take on threats without a boost. But it does fear mamoswine.*

So anyway the moves Sleep Powder and Quiver Dance are to put a poke on to sleep and so you can set up a Quiver Dance as they switch. So with +1 special attack, special defense and speed you can be a very fearsome sweeper. So the two attacking moves are petal Dance*and hidden power fire. Petal dance when paired with own tempo makes sure you have no confusion after the two or three turn petal dance. Then hidden power fire is for grass types and ferroseed.

Cofagrigus*(M) @ leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: *252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def,-Atk)
-Will-o-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Haze
- Rest

Cofagrigus is a great wall that can do a lot of things in one moveset and it's still functional. It can pull it off because of it's godly bulk and access to will-o-wisp. Also it has haze to stop set up sweeps.

So Will-o-Wisp is for shutting down mamaswine and other physical sweepers like hitmontop. Shadow Ball is so I am not taunt bait. Haze is to shut down set up sweeps. And finally rest is for recovery and to get rid of status.

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Techinician*
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk,-SAtk)
- Bulk Up*
- Mach Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Stone Edge

Ahh techitop. A great sweeper but for some reason I don't like how the standard sets damage output is so I tried out a set a friend told me to try. So I did and I loved it this is a staple in my team. It has priority and a stat boosting move that can demolish a lot of pokemon after 1 bulk up. And this is UU so conkeldurr doesn't overshadow this set.

So bulk up is to boost hitmontop's attack and defense even though this is based around hitmontop's attack. Mach punch is a technician *boosted move that hurts a lot of fighting weak foes. Stone edge is a great move that hurts after a bulk up it also takes care of flying pokémon. And finally sucker punch is to hit mismagius, celebi and alakazam before they hit you.

Snorlax (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Def / 176 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Return/frustration*
- Earthquake
- Fire punch*
- Crunch

Finally snorlax is a beast who really is underused in the underused tier. *cricket* *cricket*. Aaaaaaannyway this set really hurts and abuses snorlax's somewhat forgotten physical attack. And his attacks hurt common switch ins like heracross who is OHKO'd by return or frustration.

So anyway the moves are. Return or frustration are two great STAB moves that can really put a dent in things. Also earthquake is for fire types and steel types since it would do more that fire punch. Fire punch is for grass types and ice types. And then crunch is for ghost and psychic types.*

Pretty good team, I don't see any huge weaknesses off the top of my head. One suggestion is finding a way to put Rapid Spin on Hitmontop. Your team isn't really hazard-weak, but if you're going to use Hitmontop, you might as well. Also, maybe Toxic over Ice Beam on Empoleon. Toxic lets you hurt walls, especially bulky waters, and it's nowhere else on your team, so try it out.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
I agree with both of Red M's suggestions. You should really be using Pursuit on you CB Snorlax. Pursuit gives you a pretty much guranteed ko against frail Pyschic/Ghost Pokemon like Alakazam or Mismagius.

if i put in rapid spin then i should just make a defensive top instead since my set needs all the offense it can get and rapid spin would ruin the set.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
This is actually a pretty solid team, i think you just need a few fixes here and there. For example, i think Spikes Roserade over Lilligent would make this team much more successful, as CB Lax and Scarf Flygon will greatly benefit Spikes as they are spamming Choiced attacks. Roserade easily Spikes up on the likes of Milotic, Substitute Zapdos and other bulky Grass pokemon like Shaymin. It is also relatively quick and still packs very respectable special attack to clean up in the wake of its own Spikes late game.

Roserade (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

You can abuse Rest + Natural Cure as opposed to Synthesis, and you can certainly use a bulkier EV spread like Calm nature, 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef which always allows you to live CB Dugtrio Earthquake after Stealth Rock i believe and will allow you to Spike against Bulky waters carrying Ice Beam. With Spikes Roserade, Empoleon becomes more useful as well because now pokemon like Celebi or Shaymin cannot come in due to being Grounded and suffering Spikes damage!

Rapid Spin on Hitmontop would give your team more longevity as well. You can run offensive Hitmontop with Rapid Spin and Technician or take a more defensive approach using Impish Intimidate Hitmontop to come into pokemon like Rhyperior and Weavile easily! Either way, i think Rapid Spin would definitely benefit your team, especially Snorlax who hates Spikes as it makes Raikou/Roserade more difficult to switch into.

You could also easily pull off using Taunt Mismagius as your Rapid Spin blocker over Cofagirus. Taunt Will O Wisp Mismagius cripples and stops Donphan and Hitmontop as well as annoying Blastoise. Blastoise can burn you with Scald but with smart playing you can easily prevent it from Rapid Spinning using a combination of Mismagius and Roserade.

Anyway cool team!

Oh Pursuit on Lax will allow Top to spin easier too!

Hi there bud! First of all thanks a lot for the PM! I'm glad you like my work and I'll try to help you as most as i can.

My experience in 5th gen UU is pretty shallow as i'm 100% focused in RU\NU for this gen...

First of all i want to share you my Flygon set, he runs a Naugthy nature and Fire Blast over Stone Edge, i don't know how often do you really use Stone Edge in battle and Fire Blast can help you to hurt some random things on the switch. But i also feel useful to keep him Adamant and switch Stone with Dragon Claw...

I love Hitmontop too! And I use an "Hybrid Spinner" (a personal set):

Hitmontop@Lum Berry\Adamant\Technician
240 HP\80 Att\180 SpDef
Mach Punch
Sucker Punch
Rapid Spin
Bulk Up

With that spread he has 301\206\301 defenses backed by Bulk Up and the Lum Berry to setup against status spreading walls, but it's a little situational... He can clean the holes your Choice pokes left and still provide spin support and with the Snorlax moveset change to Pursuit you won't miss Foresigth that much.

As for the Roserade suggestion (^august, 2011) i feel is great if you can successfully lay at least 2 Spikes rounds, but to accomplish that i suggest to run Sleep Powder alongside Spikes (maybe ditching Sludge Bomb) to abuse her nice speed to guarantee she gets the job done, as that set will force switches more easily and can shut down opposite Spinners by putting them to sleep. I also agree with Rest over Synthesis, as is a pseudo full HP recovery and you can pivot on Snorlax or Cofagrigus to get rid of her sleep.

Well, as i always say I'm sorry for the text wall and i hope those pointers can be useful for you, and I'll be happy to know the conclusions after the "experimental phase" even if them are a disaster, he he! Thanks again for your request and gl!

Lilligant- I don't love your set maybe try this
Bol 252 HP, 252 definse
-quiver dance
-sleep powder
-giga drain
-HP fire/dragon/ice
The EVs are different but it's pretty fast and doesn't need EVs with quiver dance. You could also run more special attack and less HP for more giga drain recovery. Petal dance is too easily walled so anything that resists tin could come in and set up. Not to mention sap sipper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)