ORAS UU Massive Attack - All Out Offense

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Massive Attack

Introduction

Hey there! I'm back with another RMT on a team that has been having some decent success. This team was made to be kept as offensive as possible, as offense is the only playstyle that I enjoy. Throughout the battles I've had with this team, it has appeared to be pretty solid. Not a lot of teams are prepared to deal with this one. Though, like with any other team, there will always be at least something that proposes a problem. I'm posting this RMT because I would like some help addressing the threats I've found, and perhaps others if any of you notice threats to this team that I haven't.

Teambuilding Process

The team first started out with Mega Beedrill as its mega. However, I had replaced it for reasons stated later in this section.

Entei is an amazing mon in the meta and I really wanted to feature it on this team. On top of the great power it has with a Choice Band and its access to priority, it can also spread burns like no other. It's definitely one of the more annoying mons to play against.

Next, I wanted to get hazard control out of the way. I added Cobalion and Salamence simultaneously, as they create a fantastic offensive hazard core that fits in just great with this team. They have very good type synergy together and provide a solid offensive presence. They also get their primary job of setting and removing hazards respectively done pretty well.

The main reason Florges came in was for a check to some dragons; Hydreigon in particular. Though, it is useful for more than just that. We all know how annoying status' could be, and Florges helps with clearing those. It also serves as a win condition with CM (Its wish set is ass on offensive teams).

The team was lacking a water check. I really didn't want to use Rotom-M, even though it's the more common partner with Beedrill, because it wasn't solid enough for waters. Switching in to take damage and a potential burn from Scald would wear it down pretty quickly. I prefer having something with Water Absorb, such as Heliolisk. It provides a more solid answer to scald. On top of which, it gives me more leeway against opposing Cobalion, being able to outspeed and volt switch on it.

The team was quite weak to Mega-Aerodactyl. Florges and Cobalion would only serve as some sort of answer depending on its set. I wanted to make the team less vulnerable to it, so I replaced Beedrill with Swampert. Adding in a ground type to the team was also a great plus, as it should make my opponent think twice before voltswitching.

The Team

Swampert-Mega (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Rain Dance
- Ice Punch

Just the standard Mega Swamp set here. Waterfall and EQ as its two stabs, Rain Dance to trigger the boost in speed from Swift Swim, and Ice Punch for coverage. EVs invested into attack and speed, with a Jolly Nature because running Adamant means being outsped by common scarfed mons.

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed

Also just the standard Choice Band set, as hardly anything else could be viable at all lol. Sacred Fire as its main stab, used to spread burns as well. Flare Blitz would be used in several cases, such as fighting an already burned mon, having no PP left in Sacred Fire, or even to avoid risking an unnecessary 5% chance of a miss with Sacred Fire. Adamant Nature so that you could run Extreme Speed on it, and all EVs invested into Attack and Speed.

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Stealth Rocks takes up a slot here, while the remaining three go to Iron Head, CC and SD. Swords Dance is preferred over anything else so that Cobalion could be a potential win condition, and be as much of a threat as possible. Leftovers is usually the best item for it. Standard 252 Attack/252 Speed EV Spread with a Jolly Nature.

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Defog

Fire Blast and Draco Meteor give special Mence some pretty neat coverage and good power. Roost is there to keep Salamence alive so that it can constantly Defog if needed. It may be switching into rocks in order to get rid of them, and also be taking damage on the switch or from Life Orb recoil, so you definitely want to keep it healthy. Max Spa and Speed with a Timid Nature is standard.

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy

Standard CM Florg set. Max HP/Def and Bold because you don't need investment in special defense when you have CM.

Heliolisk (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Hyper Voice

Nothing new about Heliolisk's set either. Its stabs are self explanatory. Grass Knot over anything else because you would want to hit those pesky water-grounds if given the opportunity. Max Special Attack and Speed with a Timid Nature for best results.

Conclusion

Thanks for taking the time to look through the RMT! I have a few threats listed below as well as the importable in case you would like to test the team out. If you have any ideas as to what I can do to deal with the threats, feel free to suggest them! I'm open to trying anything that doesn't seem like it creates more problems than it fixes. If you notice a threat that I have not, please do let me know :). I appreciate any help at all, thanks in advance!​

Slurpuff could be an issue if I let it set up. What I usually do when I see it is preserve entei and Mence. If Entei is Healthy, I could switch Mence in and out until Slurpuff is to a point where it can't 1hko Entei. Though, this usually involves sacing a couple of mons. If I'm in a good situation throughout the game, I will hopefully not give it a free set up, lowering its HP enough to revenge it with ESpeed. Florges and Mence are good options if you have to sac anything, because you don't want it using Drain Punch.

This is a threat that I came across today. CM Slowking is actually a huge threat because I hardly have anything for it. Heliolisk can't switch into a Psyshock more than once, and everything else loses 1v1. The best bet would be to try setting up a few calm minds with Florg before Slowking does, which should put you in a comfortable spot. Though, that's a bit of a stretch.

Sigh, yet another thing that gives my team massive trouble. I have nothing for this except pert.

Ahhhhhhhh! I have nothing for this after a Nasty Plot >_>. Fire Blast miss on Coba maybe lol. Depending on Swamp's HP, it could live a +2 Dark Pulse and Revenge, but that's about it. Let's not forget that 20% Flinch chance though ._.

A low ladder threat, but mirror coat/ice beam Milotic could cause me trouble if it manages to kill Helio.

Swampert-Mega (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Rain Dance
- Ice Punch

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Defog

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy

Heliolisk (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Hyper Voice

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Looks like a solid enough offensive team with enough defensive synergy to make pivoting a lot less of a hassle, although there could be some simple changes to ensure it's much less problematic when fighting threats to the team:
  • First off, I recommend having Whimsicott > Florges, as this allows you to have Encore to stop both Slurpuff and Slowking, possibly Houndoom as well, and you outspeed Doom and have s/e coverage on Slowking as well, making it overall a good addition. Whimsicott also gives you another pivot and a secondary Scald switch if need be and helps against the likes of Swampert and Snorlax too.
  • Next, I recommend having Chople Berry > Leftovers on Cobalion, as this allows you to revenge Slurpuff if you're healthy, while also being less agitated by the likes of Choice Scarf Mienshao due to removing Florges.
  • Aside from that, I'd recommend having Damp on Swampert, since Torrent is basically useless on Mega Pert and Damp allows you to come in against Explosions from Forry and Azelf.
Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- U-turn

Giga Drain for overall more longevity, although Yache can be used over Pixie Plate should Mamo prove to be an issue.

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yo cool team man. Here are a few changes I'd like to do:
  • First off you should run a Doublade over Cobalion to have a more reliable check to Slurpuff. I'd run Shadow Claw over Iron Head / Gyro Ball since it can also hit Slowking hard and weaken it to a point where it can be revenge killed.
  • With Stealth Rock gone from Cobalion, I'd run Stealth Rock Mega Swampert, since your team has Entei and Salamence and Rain hinders them. Apart from that, Stealth Rock Mega Swampert allows you to invest bulk into it, which allows it to take hits from a +2 Mega Houndoom.
Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch / Rest

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Sacred Sword

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the feedback, both of you!

Kreme
Ah, I forgot about Swamp's pre-mega ability. Thanks for pointing that out! Just made that change. Also, Chople Berry on Cobalion is definitely something I will consider and give thought to! What makes me hesitate though is that ditching leftovers seems like it'll bite me hard, and in many more situations than the Chople Berry would help. Regardless, I plan on seeing how it works out :).

As for the Whimsicott > Florges, there are a few problems that I find making this change. Florges is mainly an answer for Hydreigon, which Whimsicott doesn't fully check (252 SpA Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Whimsicott: 296-350 (113.4 - 134%) -- guaranteed OHKO). My opponent making one good prediction (and also an obvious one) would lead to me losing my answer for Hydreigon, and having to sac something anytime it comes in. Dark Pulse actually does a good deal on every switch as well. I also lose a wincon and a cleric by taking out Florges. More than anything though, I feel as if Whimsicott wouldn't really solve anything more than the Slurpuff problem, and even that is subjective (252 Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Whimsicott: 121-144 (46.3 - 55.1%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO). Whimsicott would still be worn down by taking hits from Slowking on the switch in. It can't deal heavy damage in return, allowing Slowking restore HP upon switch-out (252 SpA Whimsicott Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Slowking: 162-192 (41.2 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery).

Arifeen
Doublade over Cobalion would be appealing, but it involves some inconvenient changes that may really hurt the team. Cobalion is a pretty good hazard setter which worked well with Mence and the rest of the team. More importantly, using SR over RD is where most of the issue lies. Swampert has done a lot for my team under Rain Dance, which hasn't really hindered Entei or Mence since Swampert is usually meant to stay in and deal damage for the duration of RD. I would lose a potential wincon in the making of these two changes :/. There's also the drawback of having to get rid of Iron Head in order to deal any serious damage to Slowking, though Shadow Claw's damage is appealing... (+2 252+ Atk Doublade Shadow Claw vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowking: 372-438 (94.6 - 111.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO)

I'll put some thought into what I could do to make some of these changes work!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)