Mechanics Swap Question

Ok so we all know how different Pokemon games have mechanics exclusive to that game/that generation. ie: I don’t think diving is in any other pokemon game other then Emerald or Rollerskating in X/Y. So! What mechanic from one pokemon game would you like in another pokemon game? Like I want the outfit customization of gens 6-9 in the older games (mostly 3,4,5)

DexNav is my go-to "y'all should have kept that" mechanic. A thing that shows you how many different mons you have yet to encounter on that route, which also lets you force encounters with a specific mon and offers a way to get egg moves and HAs in-game? That's a lot of useful stuff in a small package, and it appeared in ORAS only.

Pokeathelon would be interesting to see in games other than HGSS. There’s many more I can scrounge up but that was the most prominent one to come to mind.

Also, Diving was actually in the Gen 5 games… for a single optional area.
Ah lol sorry I didn’t know that, I haven’t finished gen 5 lol

DexNav is my go-to "y'all should have kept that" mechanic. A thing that shows you how many different mons you have yet to encounter on that route, which also lets you force encounters with a specific mon and offers a way to get egg moves and HAs in-game? That's a lot of useful stuff in a small package, and it appeared in ORAS only.
Also, really fun way to shiny hunt, got my first shiny on dexnav! But yeah i agree

You've heard the broader version tons of times before, so I'm going to drill down to a more specific statement: I'd like to see a Battle Arena in a current generation with all of the new moves. For those not familiar, the Arena was an attraction in Emerald's Frontier with two significant changes: the order mons were sent out is completely rigid and if there's no KO in three turns it goes to a ref's decision. Said judging theoretically favours aggressive play, but it only checks if the move was damaging at all (I think Fake Out is a lone exception to this). Every time I'm going through it in Emerald, I think about how fun it would be to sneak in status or setup under the radar with moves like Nuzzle or Power-up Punch.

DexNav was already mentioned, but I really can't overstate how much I want diving to be more prevalent again. It has a lot of potential to add more interesting maps, no matter if they are ruins or the ocean, and are visually more different.

There is also seasons, which were very neat in concept and how they affected map design at times but I feel like they lasted too long. Would love to see the concept in other games.

The DexNav sort of did this, but the Habitat List from BW2 is something I'd love to see again. For someone who likes completing the dex and catching everything new in sight like me, it's very helpful to see what's left from a route and immensely satisfying to see it fill up and complete. There's a few areas where you got rewards for completing its Habitat List and I think that could be further expanded to give you some sort of minor incremental reward for each Habitat List; maybe giving you increased catch or encounter rates for certain types of Pokémon.

BW2 in general had some amazing ideas that never came back. The medal system seems like such an obvious thing to just leave by the wayside, and Join Avenue was neat too. Lots of things in here that would just make each successive game better if they were re-used or adapted in some way

You've heard the broader version tons of times before, so I'm going to drill down to a more specific statement: I'd like to see a Battle Arena in a current generation with all of the new moves. For those not familiar, the Arena was an attraction in Emerald's Frontier with two significant changes: the order mons were sent out is completely rigid and if there's no KO in three turns it goes to a ref's decision. Said judging theoretically favours aggressive play, but it only checks if the move was damaging at all (I think Fake Out is a lone exception to this). Every time I'm going through it in Emerald, I think about how fun it would be to sneak in status or setup under the radar with moves like Nuzzle or Power-up Punch.
My own narrow version of this is the Battle Tents of Emerald. I think that having a few attractions dotted around the region where the rules of battling are changed in some unique way would be quite delightful. Especially if done as a brief distraction instead of asking for the hours of dedication that any Battle Frontier feature (let alone all seven/five) demands.

My own narrow version of this is the Battle Tents of Emerald. I think that having a few attractions dotted around the region where the rules of battling are changed in some unique way would be quite delightful. Especially if done as a brief distraction instead of asking for the hours of dedication that any Battle Frontier feature (let alone all seven/five) demands.
Center the regional gyms around different battle styles rather than different elemental types.
Expand the post-championship gym rematch content into full-fledged, distinct battle facilities.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
There are a number of mechanics designed with the classic overworld tile system in mind. For anyone who hasn't played any of the newer Pokémon core series games starting with Sun & Moon, or has never played any of the games that came before Sun & Moon, one of the several changes brought about for the franchise in 2016 was the implementation of what one of my friends recently called a "free movement" system. Every game prior to this could be interpreted as playing on a sort of grid, or rather a collection of grids separated by loading zones, where any directional input assuming you weren't walking into a wall or other impassible obstacle would set the player character on a different coordinate tile in the game's overworld. Most of these grid-like overworld tiles were empty so the player character is able to move around, but a lot of these would also contain elements you could interact with, most notably different kinds of terrain that has a change of activating an encounter with a wild Pokémon when you step onto or into them.

With the shift to a free movement system that preceeded the non-linear development emphasis of modern core series Pokémon games on the Nintendo Switch, several under-the-radar mechanics have since been lost to time. Up until... I believe it was Diamond & Pearl were the first games to remove this? you used to be able to use the move Cut in the overworld to temporarily remove interactable tall grass tiles, turning them into functionally empty tiles until the tall grass grew back. Speaking of Diamond & Pearl, the Sinnoh games as well as the Kalos games had a postgame exclusive Key Item called the Poké Radar which had notable use for finding Shiny Pokémon in the wild. I bet there are at least some people out there who didn't even know the Poké Radar made a return in Pokémon X & Y. In the Hoenn region games of Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, the player was effectively required to have knowledge of the overworld tile mechanics in order to find the new Pokémon Feebas, incomprehensibly good luck not withstanding, but the extreme effort required to find and raise this Pokémon not only rewarded players for knowing more about the game's mechanics, but their efforts would ultimately culminate with being able to obtain one of the new region's most recognizable Pokémon.

Those are just some of the examples I can think of that newer regions from Alola onwards distinctly lack. The shift from the classic overworld tile system to free movement and non-linear emphasis has many positives in my opinion, but this comes at the cost of some of the extra worldbuilding emphasis that gave classic core series Pokémon games a lot of their nostalgic charm for millions of fans around the world.

There are a number of mechanics designed with the classic overworld tile system in mind. For anyone who hasn't played any of the newer Pokémon core series games starting with Sun & Moon, or has never played any of the games that came before Sun & Moon, one of the several changes brought about for the franchise in 2016 was the implementation of what one of my friends recently called a "free movement" system. Every game prior to this could be interpreted as playing on a sort of grid, or rather a collection of grids separated by loading zones, where any directional input assuming you weren't walking into a wall or other impassible obstacle would set the player character on a different coordinate tile in the game's overworld. Most of these grid-like overworld tiles were empty so the player character is able to move around, but a lot of these would also contain elements you could interact with, most notably different kinds of terrain that has a change of activating an encounter with a wild Pokémon when you step onto or into them.

With the shift to a free movement system that preceeded the non-linear development emphasis of modern core series Pokémon games on the Nintendo Switch, several under-the-radar mechanics have since been lost to time. Up until... I believe it was Diamond & Pearl were the first games to remove this? you used to be able to use the move Cut in the overworld to temporarily remove interactable tall grass tiles, turning them into functionally empty tiles until the tall grass grew back. Speaking of Diamond & Pearl, the Sinnoh games as well as the Kalos games had a postgame exclusive Key Item called the Poké Radar which had notable use for finding Shiny Pokémon in the wild. I bet there are at least some people out there who didn't even know the Poké Radar made a return in Pokémon X & Y. In the Hoenn region games of Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, the player was effectively required to have knowledge of the overworld tile mechanics in order to find the new Pokémon Feebas, incomprehensibly good luck not withstanding, but the extreme effort required to find and raise this Pokémon not only rewarded players for knowing more about the game's mechanics, but their efforts would ultimately culminate with being able to obtain one of the new region's most recognizable Pokémon.

Those are just some of the examples I can think of that newer regions from Alola onwards distinctly lack. The shift from the classic overworld tile system to free movement and non-linear emphasis has many positives in my opinion, but this comes at the cost of some of the extra worldbuilding emphasis that gave classic core series Pokémon games a lot of their nostalgic charm for millions of fans around the world.
WAIT YOU CANT USE CUT ON GRASS ANYMORE?!? THIS IS BSSS

And then there's me, who wants a grid-based overworld because I prefer d-pad movement to control stick movement.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Because they wanted people to touch grass :psysly:

I hear about Cut's overworld effect every once in a while, but let's be honest, who used this?

Cutting grass was incredibly pointless. When was the last time you thought "Hmmm, I should cut this specific square area of grass. It'll help me."
That one route with all the Mimic Circle people? It's fun to see them moving around in the open.

Ironically, the one time it'd actually be useful, it doesn't work - in Emerald when you're chasing Mew through the grass, if you use Cut Mew will disappear (Mew does not want to be perceived, it seems)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)