SM Ubers Meet Your Maker, Arceus

MEET YOUR MAKER

The creation trio from DPP are my absolute most favorite legendaries from any generations. Unfortunately, they have fallen out of meta. Their bulk simply can't keep up with the powercreep in offensive powerhouses and their offensive prowess falls short with the introduction of fairy types. So while we wait for a DPP remake, I decided to build a team around their leader for my favorite Tier. So without further redo, meet your maker, the creator of the universe himself: Arceus.

@ Chople Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Description: I played around many Arceus sets. While all support variants (Fairy, Water, Ground...) are a great addition to any team, they hardly do Arceus justice. Calm Mind sweepers with Refresh sets are strong if you can eliminate their counters, but more often than not, they are just dead weight. So I opted to go with his E-Killer set. This Arceus is designed to be an extreme (all puns intended) potent late game sweeper. The IVs are really standard too. 16 Spe is enough to outspeed Primal-Groudon/Kyogre with max Spe investment and a Modest/Adamant nature. 252 Atk and Adamant nature for maximum damage output, the rest is put into HP as it gives him the best mixed bulk.

Chople Berry is there to deal with one mon and one mon only: Marshadow. That little shizz not outspeeds but cleanly OHKOs with Close Combat as well. He is also used mainly to clean up late game, so Arceus will naturally face off against it quite often. Extreme Speed and Swords Dance are pretty much self-explanatory. Substitute is to block status moves, Earthquake for coverage. Earthquake is more than enough to deal with -1 Def Marshadow and any types that resist his Extreme Speed. I found it overall more useful than Shadow Claw, which deals with Giratinas and Lugias but lack the power to dent Steel types.

@ Gengarite
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Nature: Timid
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Destiny Bond
- Substitute

Description: I love this thing. Mega-Gengar is arguably the best Mega in the UBERs Tier. His incredible 130 Base Speed allows him to trap Lugias, Necrozma-DMs, Xerneas with no Geomancy-Boost and many more. Lugia is in particular a worthy mention as it can deal with Arceus somewhat reliably. He is also a in-a-pinch answer to many other annoying threats such as Ho-Oh with his Destiny Bond. However, many people will expect the Destiny Bond and play around it, so careful usage is suggested. Substitute is to allow him to mega-evolve safely. It also has the added benefit of resetting his Destiny Bond status, should the opponent predict it correctly. Shadow Ball and Sludge Wave are Dual STAB and hits what Gengar is supposed to hit more than hard enough. EVs are pretty self-explanatory. Overall a solid mon who clears the way for Arceus to sweep.

@ Red Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 196 SpD / 4 Spe
Nature: Impish
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Description: Without a question the best and most used mon in the UBERs Tier right now. Any team that doesn't use Primal-Groudon is automatically weak to Primal-Kyogre, so he is obviously here as an answer to that ancient whale. He just brings so much to the table. A healthy Groudon checks Marshadow, Xerneas, Kyogre, Necrozma-DM etc. etc. The EVs are straight up stolen borrowed from Smogon with the exception of the 4 Spe EVs, which is just there to outspeed other Primal-Groudons with no Spe investment at all. I opted for a defensive variant just to better switch-in to the above-mentioned pokemons. We want to soften the entire enemy team and remove counters to allow Arceus to sweep.

A Stealth Rock setter is mandatory on any team. Toxic is to hit the common Giratina, Zygarde-C and Support Arceus switch-ins. I run EQ over Precipices Blades, because I prefer the reliability over the added 20 base power. This Groudon isn't supposed to one-shot stuff anyway, so EQ does it's job sufficiently enough. Stone Edge is there to hit Yveltal, M-Salamence and Ho-Oh. Ho-Oh is in particular a big threat to the team. Smart players will scout for a rock-move on Groudon however, so don't reveal it too soon.

@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
Nature: Calm
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Heart Swap
- Heal Bell

Description: Magearna is a much-needed glue for the team. She can safely switch into so many common mons in the UBERs Tier. This includes Giratina, Yveltal, Xerneas, Arceus-Fairy etc. etc. Every team needs a reliable Xerneas check and Magearna fulfills that role more than sufficiently. Her ability to Volt Switch out into Mega-Gengar is also greatly appreciated to trap and kill... things. She is unfortunately set-up bait for Groudon and Arceus-Ground, so if you expect such a switch-in, double-switch to Lunala.

EVs for maximum special bulk. Fleur Cannon is STAB, Volt Switch for Pivot as mentioned before. Heart Swap is so that she is not complete set-up fodder and also to counter Xerneas. Heal Bell is useful to remove status, but Magearna is not primarily used as a cleric, so don't prioritze that.

@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Nature: Bold
- Foul Play
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic

Description: Yveltal is there for hazard control. Too many entry hazards is the bane to any team with a more defensive playstyle. I use a defensive variant as it fits the overall playstyle of the team better. Yveltal is my best switch-in to any Groudons lacking Eruption and/or Fire Blast. Most Groudons that come in early are defensive with Stealth Rock, so I can remove those immediately. He is a good answer to opposing E-Killer Arceus and other physical set-up sweepers such as M-Salamence. Yveltal pairs up amazingly well with Magearna, because Magearna deals with any Fairy switch-ins and Yveltal deals with Ground attackers that switch into Magearna.

The EVs and nature are to maximise Yveltals physical bulk. 4 Spe is just like Groudon's set to outspeed mirror match-ups. The move choices are pretty standard for a defensive Yveltal, no big surprises here. Roost for recovery, Defog for entry hazard removal, Foul Play as the sole attacker move that doesn't care about your own Atk and Toxic to hit common switch-ins.

@ Lunalium Z
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Nature: Modest
- Moongeist Beam
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Description: This slot was originally occupied by Choice Specs Palkia. At this point, my team was too defensive. Stall teams were annoying to deal with even with M-Gengar who was too squishy and easy to wear down. I needed something that can seriously punch holes into the enemy team and is difficult to switch into. Choice Specs Palkia was my pick, being part of my favorite trio and an incredible hard hitter. However, Palkia's STABs are walled by either Fairies or Primal-Groudon. Choice Specs was needed to truly one-shot enemies, but he often became set-up bait for the enemies. After much consideration, I opted for Calm Mind Modest Z-Lunala.

Lunala fulfills all the criteria that I previously mentioned. Ghost is only resisted by Dark (and Normal is immune to it, but Normal types are very rare) and Lunalas Z-Moongeist is among the hardest hitting moves in the game. Calm Mind so that Lunala can act as a wallbreaker. Roost is just there as a filler move, but it is nice to get back into Shadow Shield range. Moongeist Beam is STAB and Z-move. Ice Beam is coverage to hit Yveltal and Arceus-Ground. Lunala doesn't really need another attacking move after these two. EVs and Modest nature for maximum power <insert meme>.

Golden tip: Lunala is an excellent lead, should the opponent not lead with Yveltal. The Z-Moongeist Beam cleanly OHKOs Groudon, which many people somehow don't expect. Also an amazing switch-in to most Stealth Rock setters, that is if you can predict it.

Threat List:

tbd

Arceus @ Chople Berry
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Destiny Bond
- Substitute

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 196 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Heart Swap
- Heal Bell

Yveltal @ Leftovers
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic

Lunala @ Lunalium Z
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Last edited:
I think dusk mane is a little thread for the team cuz he ohko Lunala and ygod with the Z and .You can run a 84 speed Yveltal for improve the matchup . Also there is a good weakness to pdon all rock polish set, lunala cannot check pdon because there will be Stealth rocks , cuz Yveltal isnt a really good defogger. I think sub taunt gengar is a viable option see of your bad matchup against sticky webs. Finally i think Magearna is a bit passive for the team and get overpressured, you said it was your switch in to giratina Ygod and xerneas, magearna lacking pain split just cannot deal with this threads. Maybe you can try a version with Arceus ground over Arceus extreme killer.

I think dusk mane is a little thread for the team cuz he ohko Lunala and ygod with the Z and .You can run a 84 speed Yveltal for improve the matchup . Also there is a good weakness to pdon all rock polish set, lunala cannot check pdon because there will be Stealth rocks , cuz Yveltal isnt a really good defogger. I think sub taunt gengar is a viable option see of your bad matchup against sticky webs. Finally i think Magearna is a bit passive for the team and get overpressured, you said it was your switch in to giratina Ygod and xerneas, magearna lacking pain split just cannot deal with this threads. Maybe you can try a version with Arceus ground over Arceus extreme killer.
Between M-Gengar, Yveltal and sacrifical fodders, Necrozma-DM can be dealt with. Lunala isn't played as a check if you read my description. He is more used as an early game threat to punch serious holes into the enemy team. Magearna holds the whole team together, she checks so many threats. Yveltal can't dent her at all, Xerneas is forced to switch out or stay in and get rekt. Giratina is Volt Switch fodder and not a threat at all. Yes, she is weak to Ground types. If I predict a switch-in to P-Groudon or Arceus-Ground, I usually double switch.

Arceus-Ground is a big no no. This team is build around E-Killer Arceus, so I will not be switching him out. Depending on the moves of a late game Rock Polish Groudon, he can indeed be a big threat. I'm willing to try Sub/Taunt Gengar out, but Destiny Bond is so strong compared to Taunt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)