ORAS OU Mega Absol is a Lord.. Balanced M-Absol Team!

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
The first sweeper on the team. Absol is a very strong mon and can do some serious damage to a weakened team after it's checks have been lowered. It's generally safe to try to and mega evolve primarilary on things Absol threatens with a Sucker Punch as it's speed before mega evolving is pretty bad. Absol is pretty strong, but should be used carefully as it can't wall break and it is also extremely frail. Sword Dance should be used to predict a switch and especially if you need the boost in order to nab some OHKOs you couldn't normally get.

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Slack Off
The hazard setter of the team. Hippowdon can generally get up Stealth Rocks reliably against most other rockers as well as deal with fast physical attacks that give this team trouble. Specifically, mons that give this team a hard time such as M-Lopunny and M-Gallade are easily checked by Hippowdon who can just come in and Slack Off the damage. Toxic is to hit offensive switch-ins with a type advantage such as Keldeo, Serperior, Gyarados, etc. and put them on a timer. Smooth Rock is to increase the number of turns sand will stay up which will make Sand Rush Excadrill a more prominent threat as it will have more turns to wreck havoc.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
The team's wallbreaker. Keldeo's job is to weaken the other team in order to help Absol sweep. Keld is nice for this team because it is able to take down bulky steel types that give Absol a lot of trouble as well as ground types that hinder Excadrill. Scald can be used to spread burns and weaken bulky threats over time such as a predicted Rotom-W switch in. Hydro Pump should be using sparing as it has lot pp and a chance to miss. Icy Wind can slow down threats and make it so Absol can outspeed before Mega Evolving.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave
- Will-o-Wisp / Pain Split
Speaking of Rotom-W, this team needed one to help against bird spam. SD Talonflame can seriously dent Hippowdon and even kill with some prior damage so a counter was necessary. Rotom is nice because it also handles Keldeo and Tornadus-T who has become a lot more popular. Rotom is great against most ground types and can be lead comfortably and gain momentum with Volt Switch on a predicted switch-in. Rotom-W also serves as the slow pivot in order to give Absol free Mega Evolution or it can be used to get Keldeo in against a match-up advantage and start demolishing. Thunder Wave is to cripple the Lati twins that try to switch-in on you and cripple them, as well as prevent mons from setting up on you such as D-Dance Altaria and Charizard-X.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
The spinner of the team. Drill is a huge threat and can fire off EQs to weaken teams and even get free spins depending on the match-up. Excadrill makes a good partner with Hippowdon and can sweep a team on its own thanks to Sand Rush. Excadrill also checks Clefable who just smacks this team after a few Calm Minds. Lastly, Excadrill can serve as another check to Talon if the sand is up. Excadrill can also come in on a Raikou and prevent it from Volt Switching as well as against a Tornadus who threatens Keldeo with a Thunder Wave. The Jolly nature is for out speeding other Sand Rush Excadrill as well as neutral nature base 100s. The nature also allows it to out speed Timid Heatran, and Stall Breaker Talon without the sand up.

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost
The last mon is the secondary switch-in to Keldeo mainly if Rotom-W is a check to something and can't afford to get burned. Latios checks a lot of threats that this team can't handle such as Breloom, M-Heracross, and pick off a weakend Azumarill. Hp Fire is for Ferrothorn who can really annoy this team, just weakening it will be helpful for the team. Roost is over Defog because this team isn't exactly weak to hazards, also keeping Latios healthy makes it able to come in on Keldeo a lot more often.

Summary: So yeah, I think Mega Absol is a pretty dangerous mon if used carefully and the rest of the team supports it's weakenesses pretty well. Any suggestions or tips are extremely appreciated, thanks ^^;

Last edited:
Might I suggest Expert Belt on Keldeo to fake Choice item and get some switches and Scarf on Drill to effectively take down Gengar and Talonflame which are huge threats to your team. But in all I like Mega Absol and the partners you chose for him.

Might I suggest Expert Belt on Keldeo to fake Choice item and get some switches and Scarf on Drill to effectively take down Gengar and Talonflame which are huge threats to your team. But in all I like Mega Absol and the partners you chose for him.
Faking the Choice item would be pretty funny, but spreading burns with scald is much more efficient and the power loss will make it harder to break down walls like Ferrothorn.
Scarf Excadrill isn't really that necessary because it can already get a speed boost from Sand Rush thanks to Hippowdon and it even gets to keep it's life orb cx.
Talonflame isn't that much of an issue since i have a Rotom-W who can pretty much counter it unless it's running a random Nature Power grass.
Though you bought up a really good point when you mentioned Gengar being an issue for the team. This team has nothing for fast special attackers, namely Gengar and Latios. Latios being the most of my worries as it can fire Dracos pretty freely with only 2 mons checking it and giving a scarf to Excadrill won't make it much of a switch-in just another check and again Sand Rush+Sand Stream seems to better to me.

Hey there, interesting team. There isn't much to change here, so it's not really be a big rate. Anyways, I'll move on to the rate.

For Hippowdon, run Toxic > Whirlwind. This allows you to cripple yet surprise its usual switch-ins such as Keldeo, Serp, Rotom-W, Mega Gyarados, and a few more others, as well as putting set-up sweepers and walls on a timer. It still prevents Hippowdon from being set-up fodder. Additionally, run Smooth Rock > Leftovers, as this extends the duration of sandstorm in order to support Excadrill allowing him to pressure the opponent for an extended duration, as well as clean better lategame.

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Slack Off

I'd just go run Jolly > Adamant on Excadrill to tie with opposing Excadrill as well as outrunning neutral-natured based 100s (such as Mega Charizard-X/Y, Mega Gardevoir, etc.), Timid Heatran, and Stallbreaker Talonflame. I feel that at least trying to outrun these are more important than the extra power from Adamant.

As you have addressed that fast offensive mons are a threat for you, a suggestion that doesn't require changing much of your team is to run Thunder Wave on Rotom-W. This lets you nerf opposing set up sweepers such as DD Mega Charizard-X, Mega Altaria, and others who dare set up on it, as well as Rotom-W's usual switch-ins such as the Lati twins allowing you to revenge kill them later.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave
- Will-o-Wisp / Pain Split

As such, good luck with the team.

Wow T-Wave Rotom, the suggestions are pretty gimmicky as most Excadrills I encounter are Adamant; but I guess it'll make it more of a surprise. Smooth Rock on Hippowdon gives it less recovery. This makes the Hippo more reliant on Slack Off when it switches in on a strong attack (High JK, CC, Iron Head, etc.) meaning it won't get as many chances to punish switch-ins. Although, the Smooth Rock on Don makes Excadrill a monster to deal with turning it into the team's own sweeper and the Don is so bulky anyway that it can take physical attacks for days. Anyway, changes were made thanks for the help Cx

Hi Shooty,

I really like mega-absol. I use it in the UU tier so that's quite different. The team you build around it looks like it has great synergy. I haven't tested it yet, but I will take it for a spin on showdown later on. At least, here are a few things you could consider adding or changing to the structure of the team.

• Scarf > Specs on Keldeo what this set allows you to do is to outspeed most of the metagame, notably outspeeding Mega Lopunny, Mega Metagross, Choice Scarf Landorus-T (or I), and Latios. Burning them is very good and it helps the rest of your team out. What this change also allows you to do is enhance the revenge killing capabilities on your team, which you are currently lacking (without sand).
  • CM latios > LO Latios Cm latios is very strong and it can last longer then Life orb. I like HP fire on there, but keldeo can deal with Ferro as is so there's no need to have it on the set. Almost anything dies to a +2 , dragon fang boosted draco except fairies which you can hit with psyshock.
  • Resto Chesto on Rotom-W This let's rotom tank hits and getting too full health in a minute since you're using it as a pivot it doesn't mind doing without lefties.
Hope this helped you out or at least makes you thinks about your choices :)

You should add an import section to this RMT so it is easier to test the team on Showdown.

nobody uses me (Latios) (M) @ Dragon Fang
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Roost

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp/T-Wave
- Rest

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Hey, I like seeing Mega Absol getting some more use. Replays and maybe a TeamBuilding Process would be great! First off I noticed that Charizard Y, Serperior, Mega Sceptile, and Breloom (especially this one) are huge threats to your team. The only thing that resists grass is Latios, and it'll be worn down from Keldeo and Azumarill as well. Unfortunately, Serperior & Mega Sceptile can just kill it with Dragon Pulse, Charizard Y gets rid of your sand and kills everything but Latios, and Breloom can Bullet Seed + Mach Punch everything but Latios. Excadrill is the only thing that resists fairy, and fairy types such as Clefable, and Gardevoir can essentially net a KO easily. To help with both of these, I think Skarmory > Rotom-W can work. Hippowdon can stop Talonflame rather well, and Skarmory will provide you with some special defense. If you run Defog, you can run Swords Dance > Rapid Spin on Excadrill and be able to sweep more easily.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Defog / Stealth Rocks / Spikes / Iron Head
- Brave Bird / Iron Head
- Whirlwind

On a side note, I feel like your team isn't completely centered around Mega Absol, but has it as a mega that's a sweeper. He looks like he can easily be replaced by another Mega, so you should try to integrate him more as the center of the team if that's what you want. Gengar is a pokemon that makes for a great partner with Mega Absol as they cover each others weaknesses, and they form a destructive offensive core. You can check out my post on the good cores link to learn more about the Gengar and Mega Absol core. Hope I helped ^_^
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-good-cores-check-post-714.3524713/page-38

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)