ORAS OU Mega Medicham Balance

So, I'm back with another team that I need some help on. Just like with my previous team, I'll make a description of the team below:

medicham-mega.gif

Medicham:
252 Atk/ 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Ability: Pure Power (Pure Power for Mega Medicham)
Item: Medichamite
Jolly Nature
-Fake Out
-Substitute
-Zen Headbutt
-High Jump Kick

Mega Medicham is easily one of my favorite wallbreakers for a very good reason: Pure Power. Pure Power allows Mega Medicham to hit 598 Attack with a Jolly Nature and 656 Attack with an Adamant Nature. Fake Out is for guaranteeing the Mega Evolution against faster Pokemon and for racking up Fake Out damage against setup sweepers. Substitute is for those moments when Mega Medicham forces a switch. Mega Medicham behind a Substitute is extremely deadly. Zen Headbutt for Psychic STAB and High Jump Kick is extremely powerful against something that doesn't resist it. Of course, like all sweepers not named Mega Metagross, Mega Medicham struggles with Clefable. So, to deal with that, I have:

gliscor.gif

Gliscor:
244 HP/ 8 Def/ 200 SpD/ 56 Spe
Ability: Poison Heal
Item: Toxic Orb
Careful Nature
-Toxic
-Earthquake
-Swords Dance
-Taunt

This is a mix of both Stallbreaker variants of Gliscor, designed to beat all variants of Clefable. Unaware variants are shut down by Taunt+Toxic and Magic Guard variants are shut down by Taunt+Swords Dance+Earthquake. Toxic Orb+Poison Heal is standard Gliscor; 244 HP to guarantee maximum Poison Heal recovery. However, Gliscor cannot deal with Talonflame, so to beat Talonflame, I have:

heatran.gif

Heatran:
248 HP/ 252 SpA/ 8 SpD
Ability: Flash Fire
Item: Choice Specs
IVs: 0 Atk
Modest Nature
-Ancient Power
-Lava Plume
-Flash Cannon
-Dragon Pulse

Specs Heatran. What a surprise. Now, you reviewers are probably thinking: "But 420LegitShucks, why are you using Specs Heatran to beat Talonflame?" The answer: the HP investment. 248 HP EVs guarantee that +6 Sharp Beak Jolly Talonflame's Brave Bird will never OHKO, and Ancient Power will OHKO back in return. Lava Plume is for Fire Stab and a nifty chance to burn, Flash Cannon is for Steel STAB, and Dragon Pulse is to hit mons like the Latis and Dragonite hard. 8 SpD EVs are to make sure that Download Porygon-Z gets an Attack boost. Might switch out Dragon Pulse for HP Ice and change the EV spread if Dragon Pulse doesn't help.

ferrothorn.gif

Ferrothorn:
248 HP/ 252 Def/ 8 SpD
Ability: Iron Barbs
Item: Rocky Helmet
IVs: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Power Whip
-Leech Seed

Ferrothorn is on this team for one reason alone: Azumarill. This team struggles massively with Azumarill, so having a check to Azumarill is highly appreciated. Iron Barbs+Rocky Helmet deals massive recoil to Azumarill attacking Ferrothorn with just about any of its moves. Stealth Rock and Spikes are entry hazards highly appreciated by Mega Medicham, Power Whip is to not be complete Taunt bait and for Grass STAB to hit Azumarill with, and Leech Seed is for recovery and for wearing down walls like the blobs.

starmie.gif

Starmie:
252 SpA/ 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure
Item: Life Orb
Timid Nature
-Hydro Pump
-Psyshock
-Ice Beam
-Rapid Spin

Starmie has always been a classic in OU, and I can't agree more. I actually find Starmie quite cute, to be honest. But anyway, Starmie is not only my Keldeo check, but my Ice coverage and Rapid Spinner as well. Natural Cure is to surprise opponents by thinking they can paralyze Starmie and cripple it, or Toxic it if my opponent thinks Starmie is a defensive variant. Natural Cure also allows Starmie to act as a status absorber for my team. Just an overall amazing Pokemon, and a classic for years to come.

cofagrigus.gif

Cofagrigus:
248 HP/252 Def/ 8 SpD
Ability: Mummy
Item: Leftovers
Bold Nature
-Will-O-Wisp
-Pain Split
-Disable
-Psychic

Cofagrigus. Yeah. I never thought I would actually use this thing, but here it is. Cofagrigus is here to counter Mega Lopunny. Mega Lopunny attacks this thing and gains Mummy, then I burn it with Will-O-Wisp or Psychic it to death. Disable is to prevent Mega Lopunny from using Ice Punch if it decides to run it, and Pain Split is Cofagrigus' only real method of recovery besides Leftovers. Probably the best troll to physical attackers in OU, and a highly appreciated way of beating Mega Lopunny.

Threats: currently unknown, doing research.

That's the team! Help would be extremely appreciated, since this team needs to know its threats. Thanks again, Smogon Forums, and this is 420LegitShucks, signing out once again!

BreloomMyHomie

Golden State Warriors Bandwagon Fan
Hey man, nice team! However, I do have a couple of recommendations. I think one of the biggest threats to the team is Bisharp. Bisharp, finding setup opportunities vs Ferrothorn, can set up a Swords Dance and sweep your team with Knock Off and Sucker Punch. Gliscor does run enough to outspeed Adamant Bisharp, but not Jolly Bisharp, which is detrimental since +2 Jolly Knock Off always OHKOes after Stealth Rocks. Your only way of dealing with +2 Bisharp is winning the "Sucker Punch" mindgames with Medicham. Keldeo is a pretty big conundrum as well due to the lack of, not only switch-ins, but checks as well. Nothing on your team can switch into Keldeo's STABs or its fairly common coverage move, Hidden Power Electric, and your only real check to Keldeo is Starmie. Kyurem-B is also a huge nuisance to the team as well, especially the Substitute Set. Kyurem B finds set up opportunities vs Gliscor, Cofagrigus, Starmie(since you're forced out by Fusion Bolt), and Heatran(forced out by Earth Power). Not only does it find lots of set up opportunities, but at most 2HKOes every Pokemon on your team with STAB move Ice Beam and its coverage moves, Fusion Bolt and Earth Power. Mega Pinsir is also a huge issue finding set up opportunities vs Ferrothorn and Gliscor. While a Toxic and or Leech Seed will be provocative for your opponent, by the time Pinsir has fainted, your team will be heavily weakened, since nothing on your team can come in on a +2 Return/Close Combat. Cofagrigus's ability does get rid of Pinsir's Aerialate, but your opponent won't mind switching out, especially because unboosted Return/Close Combat still does a ton of damage to your entire team. Mega Manectric is problematic as well due to the lack of switch-ins to its STABs and coverage moves(Hidden Power Ice and Overheat), but I guess Gliscor can take one Hidden Power Ice from full, though it is a very shaky check. Mega Sableye, specifically the Utility set, is bothersome because it not only walls Ferrothorn, Cofagrigus, and Medicham, but also Starmie and Heatran hate taking a Knock Off. Gliscor can take Foul Plays and Will-O-Wisps indefinitely due to Toxic Orb+Poison Heal, but can't do much back with Earthquake unless you set up a Swords Dance, boosting Mega Sableye's Foul Play damage output.
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 244 HP / 8 Def Gliscor: 329-387 (93.4 - 109.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 175-207 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery(no SpDef on your Ferrothorn Set)

My first suggestion is to replace Offensive Starmie with Defensive Starmie. I feel like Life Orb Starmie is more suited to Offensive teams and with Ferrothorn, Gliscor, and Cofagrigus, it's pretty much confirmed that this is a balanced team. Bar a HP Electric from Choice Specs Keldeo, Starmie can take any other attack Keldeo wants to throw at it, recover the damage, and with Psyshock, you're able to beat Sub+CM Keldeos as well. Also, Defensive Starmie can also counter Mega Metagross for your team as well, taking any hit it wants to go for bar ThunderPunch and Grass Knot. One of the drawbacks to this change is that makes you a lot more susceptible to Mega Charizard Y since 0 SPA Scald won't do much to Mega Charizard Y in the Sun. Defensive Starmie also makes you a lot more susceptible to Mega Gardevoir, since not only can nothing on your team switch into Hyper Voice, Psyshock, or Focus Blast, but you also lose a check to it as well, since 0 SPA Scald doesn't do a lot of damage to Mega Gardevoir.
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 118-140 (36.4 - 43.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Starmie: 153-180 (47.2 - 55.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery(you can stall it out of Hydro Pump with Recover)

4 SpA Starmie Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 74-90 (24.9 - 30.3%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO

4 SpA Starmie Scald vs. 16 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 67-81 (23.8 - 28.8%) -- 97.7% chance to 4HKO

Next, I suggest Mega Diancie>Mega Medicham. I don't feel like Mega Medicham fits this team because none of your other Pokemon on your team benefit from Mega Medicham's wallbreaking capabilities except Heatran, who loves Chansey to be eliminated by High Jump Kick. In addition, Substitute Mega Medicham isn't very viable in the current OU metagame, being outclassed by other Subsitute Fighting types such as Mega Lopunny, and not being able to run coverage moves to really threaten opposing teams. On the flip side, Mega Diancie makes you less susceptible to Mega Pinsir, Bisharp, and Mega Charizard Y, outspeeding all of them and killing them with Diamond Storm and Earth Power. It also resists both Bisharp's and Pinsir's priority attacks. Furthermore, with 252 Attack EVs, you almost always OHKO Mega Gardevoir with Diamond Storm, getting rid of another threat to the team.

252 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 16 HP / 8 Def Mega Gardevoir: 268-316 (95.3 - 112.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Thirdly, I would like to modify the Ferrothorn set. I would change your current EV spread to 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD Relaxed Nature. This spread prevents the 2HKO from +3 Ice Beam Manaphy. I also suggest replacing Spikes with Gyro Ball so you don't become setup fodder to Pokemon such as Mega Pinsir. I'm also going to suggest Leftovers>Rocky Helmet because even though Ferrothorn has Leech Seed, it really appreciates that extra recovery.
+3 252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 156-184 (44.3 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Fourthly, I suggest Stallbreaker Heatran>Choice Specs Heatran. Choice Specs Heatran isn't very viable in the metagame because it doesn't really fit any playstyle bar Trick Room. In addition, losing Mega Medicham and Offensive Starmie really hinders your chances of beating defensively oriented teams. Stallbreaker Heatran not only 2HKOes Hippowdon with Magma Storm after Stealth Rocks, but with Taunt, you trap Chansey and beat it 1v1(Mega Diancie appreciates Hippowdon and Chansey gone).

Next, I suggest Roost>Swords Dance on Gliscor. When I was testing the team with the new changes, CM Reuniclus was a problem to the team. With Roost and Taunt, Gliscor can stall out Reuniclus's Psyshocks, beating it 1v1.

Finally, I suggest Clefable>Cofagrigus. While I understand that Cofagrigus is a great check to Mega Heracross, Mega Diancie and Stallbreaking Heatran check it too. Clefable also beats non SD Mega Heracross(Substitute) 1v1 as well, and Gliscor can Toxic Stall it. You said Cofagrigus is an excellent switch-in to Mega Lopunny, and Clefable isn't that bad of a switch-in either. It is almost never 2HKOed by Jolly Lopunny's Return with 252 HP and 172 Def EVs. Clefable is also a great switch-in to Mega Manectric, Kyurem B, and Mega Sableye, which is just what you need for your team.
252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 181-214 (45.9 - 54.3%) -- 5.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 138-163 (35 - 41.3%) -- 75% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 181-214 (45.9 - 54.3%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Taunt

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Ice Beam

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Good luck man! :]

Hey, thanks, man! Didn't think I would get a post this long with advice! I understand the Mega Diancie point, but I have a feeling that Mega Diancie's wallbreaking capabilities are far worse than Mega Medicham. I just prefer Mega Medicham's ability to literally rip holes in teams early game and sometimes even sweep. I'll consider Mega Diancie, though. As for Heatran, I really feel like making it a bulky set because of how well it deals with Talonflame. And the ability to revenge kill Talonflame with Ancient Power is extremely helpful, considering Talonflame is the main late-game cleaner of HO. I hate using Clefable simply because of the fact that it's simply too good at the current time, having very little ways to beat it. I went with Cofagrigus because I wanted to surprise opponents with something outside the norm in OU. I've never used a defensive Starmie set, so I don't know how well it will really perform on my team, though I feel like replacing Scald with Thunderbolt because of how much harder it hits Mega Charizard Y and a rare, but sometimes very useful chance to paralyze. Also, the title of this thread was Mega Medicham Balance, so your post on how this team was obviously balance was very true, but look at the other part of the title, "Mega Medicham". This is a very clear indicator that this team is built around Mega Medicham's ridiculous, and sometimes game-breaking power. Mega Diancie may be moot, but like I said, I'll look into it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)