ORAS OU Mega Metagross Madness

Hello community, and welcome to my third RMT! In this, I wanted to show off a surprisingly effective and completely unexpected Mega Metagross set. Yes, I know I'm abnormal and weird for using this, and you guys are gonna go on and on about how it isn't very good, yada yada. And you may be right that it is outclassed; however, I feel it provides a solid niche and has won me many games single-handedly. This is a Bulky Offense team. His set is what this team is built around, so he stays. Although, I would very much appreciate help with his supporting mons. So, let us get on with it, shall we?

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Power-Up Punch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Yes. Physically Defensive Mega Metagross. His absolutely insane physical bulk, high attack, Tough Claws, and great speed tier allow him to be a great win-con, and allows him to set up multiple times in a match. Meteor Mash is his main STAB move that breaks through even the bulkiest of walls after a couple boosts, and has a 20% chance to also boost his attack, which has helped a few times. I have considered Bullet Punch here, as the priority would've helped on numerous occasions, but the lack of power is extremely off-putting. Power-up-Punch is what makes this set work. It can be used to pick off weakened threats as well as become more and more powerful while whittling down the opponent. It also hits opposing steel types super-effectively, which resist Meteor. Rest provides instant healing and status removal, as both paralyze and burn severly cripple him. Sleep Talk is to not be dead weight while asleep, and also makes him a full counter to Breloom, Amoongus, and to a lesser extent, Mega Venu, provided my luck doesn't suck while asleep. 248 HP maximizes bulk while minimizing residual damage. 32 Speed outspeeds max base 70s after evolving. The rest maxes defense to make him take some surprising hits. Examples:

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs. 248 HP / 228+ Def Mega Metagross: 240-284 (66.1 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 228+ Def Mega Metagross: 194-230 (53.4 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 228+ Def Mega Metagross: 195-229 (53.7 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As you can see, very hard to break through. But not impossible, which is where his teammates become useful.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 220 Atk / 4 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute

Oh, how I wish I could use two megas, as his Dark typing would be incredibly helpful combined with his increased special bulk. Sadly, I am stuck with this. Not to say this isn't good, quite the contrary: Intimidate and his typing allow him to Metagross very well, as well as be a secondary win-con, and help wear down physical walls. Waterfall is his main STAB and is used over Aqua Tail because Aqua Tail sucks. The perfect accuracy and flinch chance make Waterfall far superior. Bounce is because this team struggles against Mega Venu quite a bit (which, again, Mega Gyara's Mold Breaker Ice Fang would eat him alive. Troll Freak...). Dragon Dance and Substitute allow him to set up on walls such as Mega Sableye, as well as weaker physical attackers. The speed EVs and Jolly nature outspeed Mega Lopunny and Mega Manectric after a boost. The HP and Def EVs increase his bulk a bit, and allow him to keep a Substitute up against a burned Ferrothorn's Power Whip.

So mad Showdown doesn't let you use this one, sexists...

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock

Hippowdon is my rocks setter, as well as my main answer to Charizard Y. His great mixed bulk allows him to check and set up on a myriad of other threats as well, such as Landorus-T, Tornadus-T, Garchomp, and many more. Stealth Rock is the main move on this set, wearing down the opposing tam throughout the match. Earthquake is his obligatory STAB move, and nails electric types such as Raikou and Manectric. Slack provides healing so he can continually shut down Charizard's sun. That is his most important job because Charizard Y can pretty much murder my entire team. Whirlwind was chosen over Stone Edge because of SD Scizor being mean to me. It also racks up hazard damage and scouts switches.

Slowbro (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Choice Specs Slowbro is the epitome of bulky offense. Scald can break through many walls with high power and burns. Psychic was chosen over Psyshock because the blobs are just setup bait for Metagross anyways, although it rarely sees use. Considering Shadow Ball over this. Ice Beam annihilates the many 4x weak Pokemon in the tier, and is my best answer to Gliscor. Flamethrower roasts Scizor and Ferrothorn, as well as dealing good damage to steel types in general. Flamethrow over Fire Blast as Flamethrower still OHKOs its main targets thanks to Specs, and doesn't miss all the time. The EVs maximize bulk and offense, and Regenerator keeps him alive throughout the match. He is mostly used as a pivot against physical attackers, and he can get off a powerful hit before switching back out.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Defog

EDIT: Changed Air Slash to Dazzling Gleam to help with Mega Sableye.

Togekiss is probably the least effective member of the team, because the numerous roles he must perform puts a lot of pressure on him. However, Defog and Heal Bell are extremely important on this team. His Fairy typing also protects Metagross from Dark types, and his special bulk complements him very well also. Roost is for longevity and protects against slower Pokemon's Rock, Ice, Electric attacks. Air Slash is a nice STAB move with a ridiculous flinch chance, although Dazzling Gleam could also be used to beat up on Sableye. If there is a suitable replacement, he is the most changeable.

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Extrasensory

Assault Vest Raikou was chosen as the last Pokemon on my team because i needed a specially bulky pivot that also had good offensive presence. Electric was also a useful offensive type that my team lacked: it helps break through bulky waters and flying types, such as Slowbro and Tornadus-T. Volt Switch is for momentum, and to scout switches. Thunderbolt is his main STAB when I want to stay in. Hidden Power Ice is to hit the ground types that want to switch in to an electric move, and destroys defensive Landorus-T. Extrasensory gives me another way of dealing with Venusaur and Fighting types, as the are both very threatening and Slowbro struggles to handle all of them.

So, that's the team :) It has been working really well, currently at 1400 and climbing. However, it seems like it could have much greater potential. Togekiss and Raikou are rather underwhelming, and could probably be replaced fairly easily, but both have had their fair share of uses, which is why they are there.

Threatlist:
Mega Manectric: Very fast and powerful, and Intimidate cripples half the team. Can be handled by Hippowdon is played correctly.

Mega Charizard Y: His sun-fueled power is very difficult to wall. Hippowdon can remove his sun and check him with SR, and outside of sun, Slowbro walls and OHKOs.

Ferrothorn: Slowbro can OHKO with Flamethrower, and it is generally unexpected so he can usually get it off pretty easily. However, if Slowbros goes down, this thing can annoy my entire team.

(Mega) Scizor: Swords Dance variants can break through Metagross, and Banded can gain momentum with a really powerful hit with no drawbacks to itself. Metagross can set up on non SD sets, and Slobro can burn with Scald or OHKO with Flamethrower. Hippowdon can phaze out boostes Scizor.

Manaphy: Ban it. Too OP. Raikou can revemge it, but thats my only way to handle it. If Gyarados is set up, he can do good damage with Bounce.

Mega Sableye: Calm Mind variants are very difficult to handle. If Slowbro can burn, then it will be much easier. Changed Togekiss' Air Slash to Dazzling Gleam to help with this, but its still difficult. Metagross can beat it 1v1 if it hasn't set up yet, especially if I get a boost, and having sand and/or rocks up helps a lot.

0 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 109-130 (35.8 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 SpA Mega Sableye Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 140-168 (38.5 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Foul Play variants are a problem for Metagross, but are easily handled by Togekiss and Slowbro.

Metagross is faster so he wins. Other variants are just set up bait. For example:

0 Atk Mega Sableye Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 228+ Def Mega Metagross: 68-84 (18.7 - 23.1%) -- possible 5HKO

EDIT: Replays added as they come.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-268512173

Last edited:
Psysical Def MMeta, CASH CASH CASH.

btw i think it's way too gimmick, and a bit outclassed by def Mzor :/
Mega Metagross is better in literally every single stat, has a much more powerful STAB move, can take on Rotom, Clefable, Mega Sableye, Heatran to an extent, and essentially any status/Scald using mon better than Scizor. He actually beats Slowbro 1v1 if played correctly. He also has better coverage, and a way to boost his attack while still being defensive. Also, the surprise factor is incredibly helpful.

yes, but Scizor has a more Reliable recovery move and a better Typing. btw how can you 1v1 a foul play mega Sab?
Metagross' psychic typing helps him be a much better counter to the Lati twins, as HP Fire isn't nearly as threatening.
Foul Play Mega Sableye is handled by Slowbro, as Scald 2HKOs, plus burn will wear him down.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Slowbro Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 160-189 (52.6 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Calm Mind variants are a bit more difficult, but can be defeated easily by Metagross if he has already gotten a boost, or by just pressuring him to be unable to set up. Sandstorm helps to wear him down.

Meh, CM Variants can take on your metagross quite easily as it doesn't have any investiment in Atk and must then fish the boost for winning the 1v1.
I appreciate the inventive of this "CroSet-like" but it is not that hard to break through as you embellish. :/

Meh, CM Variants can take on your metagross quite easily as it doesn't have any investiment in Atk and must then fish the boost for winning the 1v1.
I appreciate the inventive of this "CroSet-like" but it is not that hard to break through as you embellish. :/
Edited the post with some changes that should answer your questions. I do acknowledge Mega Sableye as a prominent threat, but he is not impossible to handle.
Also, by the way:

0 Atk Mega Sableye Foul Play vs. 248 HP / 228+ Def Mega Metagross: 156-186 (42.9 - 51.2%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO

Outside of really bad luck, Metagross wins 1v1.

With stealth rock on the field it has increased chance of winning the 1v1, about 47.3% plus the no-Mash-boost.

0- Atk Mega Sableye Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Mega Metagross: 156-186 (42.8 - 51%) -- 47.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 109-130 (35.8 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

After like 3 Recovers Sable is ready to pull onother foul play assuming your opp is playing a def sableye, but even with spdef the will-o-wisp can cripple your metagross in a situation where it must get the mmash move with sleep talk. With all this variants considered i belive that you haven't got the odds for winning 1v1.

Overall, everything looks pretty strong for the team, but I just have one question about Slowbro; why choice specs? Slowbro seems like a defensive pivot for your team, and it seems a weird choice (no pun intended) to give it choice specs. The coverage that it provides is nice, but I feel like it being a counter to Ferrothorn is strange, as you mentioned, Hippowdon is your lead, and he sets up sandstorm, which will boost ferrothorn's Special Defense. I also think that replacing specs with another item would help slowbro in the walling department, as it means it can run slack off, calm mind, other things to help it live longer. If you do take my advice and make Slowbro more defensive, you will need to get something on your team that can help deal with Ferrothorn, or maybe another counter even if you don't change it, but if you do, I feel like you'll feel better about more matchups than before. But otherwise, the team looks great! Nice work with the synergy in some places.

Sandstorm does not boost the spdef of Steel-type pokemons, it does boost only Rock-types. O:
Sorry, messed up there. The point is, I might want to do something different from choice specs.

With stealth rock on the field it has increased chance of winning the 1v1, about 47.3% plus the no-Mash-boost.

0- Atk Mega Sableye Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Mega Metagross: 156-186 (42.8 - 51%) -- 47.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

After like 3 Recovers Sable is ready to pull onother foul play assuming your opp is playing a def sableye, but even with spdef the will-o-wisp can cripple your metagross in a situation where it must get the mmash move with sleep talk. With all this variants considered i belive that you haven't got the odds for winning 1v1.
It is not Metagross' job to deal with Mega Sableye, I only meant that he can take will o wisp better than Mega Scizor. Togekiss can come in on Sableye pretty much for free except for Knock Off, and smack him around with Dazzling Gleam, and Slowbro 2HKO's physically defensive variants with Scald.

Overall, everything looks pretty strong for the team, but I just have one question about Slowbro; why choice specs? Slowbro seems like a defensive pivot for your team, and it seems a weird choice (no pun intended) to give it choice specs. The coverage that it provides is nice, but I feel like it being a counter to Ferrothorn is strange, as you mentioned, Hippowdon is your lead, and he sets up sandstorm, which will boost ferrothorn's Special Defense. I also think that replacing specs with another item would help slowbro in the walling department, as it means it can run slack off, calm mind, other things to help it live longer. If you do take my advice and make Slowbro more defensive, you will need to get something on your team that can help deal with Ferrothorn, or maybe another counter even if you don't change it, but if you do, I feel like you'll feel better about more matchups than before. But otherwise, the team looks great! Nice work with the synergy in some places.
I actually never lead with Hippowdon. Slowbro is most often my lead, being able to get a lot of surprise KO's early game. I don't use him as a wall, I use him as a bulky hit and run attacker, mostly just to spam scald to spread burns around. Regenerator helps him to still take hits for the other members as well, and, like Metagross, the surprise factor is excellent. Ferrothorn commonly stays in to tank a Scald, and then dies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)