Metagame Analysis/Petition: Little Cup

I agree, Scyther should be banned. The only semi-decent counter I could find was Shellder, and even that wasn't all that great - iirc it is 3HKOd normally and 2HKOed after an SD (with Max HP, Max Def, +Def nature).

I don't think Onix has reason to be banned. It'll easily die to any non-electric special hit, or a ground/fighting move. Unless it's because it doesn't evolve in RBY...

Porygon seems questionable. In theory it seems overpowered, but I'd have to try it out to know for sure because Porygon2 isn't quite as good as it seems. It can be walled quite easily by Chansey, or even Drowzee/Spoink.

Wynaut should probably be banned in order to match with Standard OU rules banning Wobbufett.

Isn't Onix an excellent Scyther counter? 160 base Def, STAB on Rock Slide and withstands a 1 SD HP Fighting from it with 4-16% left. (Max HP and Def) Then an OHKO with Rock Slide. But for other purposes, Onix is crap with 45 SpD and Attack.

Stop the ugly leetspeak in guides, it's a pain.

Chansey and Scyther have been fully evolved Pokemon, I don't see why they'd be allowed. Porygon was awful so it's an exception, but if Blissey wasn't there Chansey would be used, and Scyther is one of the best UU pokemon.

This is great, I used to do these sorts of battles against my mate all the time. I'm definitely going to try and get in on this!

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mekkah said:
Stop the ugly leetspeak in guides, it's a pain.

Chansey and Scyther have been fully evolved Pokemon, I don't see why they'd be allowed. Porygon was awful so it's an exception, but if Blissey wasn't there Chansey would be used, and Scyther is one of the best UU pokemon.
Yes, in OU. But at lower levels, walling starts becoming less and less useful.

I thought I remembered seeing this posted somewhere here, but I couldn't find it, so:

EVs are different for level 5ers. I recommend unchecking Snap when doing EVs, and make sure not to waste EVs.

For example, on Abra:

Abra (both Timid and Modest) only needs 197 speed and 236 special attack. Putting any more evs will be a waste. The rest of the EVs are exactly enough to bring Abra's attack stat by 1.

Oh, also, I'm curious... do Silk Scarf and those things gain any usefulness?

edit: I'm finding that with a +nature, 236 EVs is the maximum EVs to put in a stat. Without a +nature, 196 is the max EVs. I think this applies to HP, too. Apparently it takes about 77-78 EVs to increase a stat by one. I feel this is strangely familiar - I think someone already found the exact number but I don't know who. :\

edit2: I think DVs are significantly more important than normal because of the value of 1 stat point. I've found myself avoiding certain Hidden Powers because of this, but I haven't really tested how significant that 1 stat point is.

edit3: I just realized how easy it would be to get a Belly Drum in with a Sitrus Berry... all it takes is a Belly Drum on a switch, Sitrus Berry fully heals, and you sweep. almost forgot that Cubone can't have Sitrus Berry AND Thick Club because that would be broken. :|

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No, there is no point in unchecking snap ever. 196 EVs in Abra's speed is the same as 197--both give 20 speed.

RicepigeonKKM

Wait, who?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Speaking of DVs, they have little to no effect on your stats, especially if you're going for certain Hidden Powers. With a DV of 30, the stat either doesn't change at all or decreases by 1. A DV of 0 in any stat is generally -2 stat points.

RicepigeonKKM said:
Scyther used Reversal!
Onix switches in on SD, then Subs on the Endure... Spikes has already been laid with like Pineco or w/e(hopefully)... Scyther switches and Onix Roars, then attacks the in-Roared with STAB EQ or RS.

Like this:

Onix (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 236 HP / 72 Atk / 200 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Hidden Power Rock
- Substitute
But with Rock Slide, you get more attack... 11 vs 12. Have to have some alternate EV spread.(Actually, here the 30 vs 31 IV matters)

Looking up Spikes... The only Pokes who gets Spikes are Snorunt, Cacnea, Pineco and Omanyte.
So just maybe, Cacnea/Snorunt will see some use here, to not get double W4 with Omanyte and Onix.

looking at it, I think that poliwag would make a great belly-drummer, as it has a great speed for a unevolved pokemon (base 90), and its attack isn't too shabby. If only I could test this, but I have to go back to uni tomorrow, where netbattle is blocked. Damn.

Bagon gets Rock Head, Double-Edge, Dragon Dance, Brock Break, Rock Slide, Nice attack and Defence. Needs some mention IMO.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Anorith should be mentioned IMO. It can Swords Dance, hit really hard with a base 95 Atk Swords Danced STAB'ed Rock Slide, and it has a nice base 75 speed to flinch with. Defenses aren't that bad either (45/50/50), and it can survive Abra's Psychic with some EVs on HP/SDef, and then OHKO it with HP Bug

I just made a team (finally), if anyone wants to battle/try things out. I can only be on on weekends though.

Also, Poliwag seems like quite a threat as a Belly Drummer. It's already really fast, and can also Surf away any Onixes or whatever.

things like spinda, volbeat, illumise, aipom, things whose stat totals are 400 or below that aren't evolved forms

they should be included

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)