Metagame Metagame Discussion Thread v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alolan Muk walls the crap out of even Specs Lele, and can Pursuit trap it or Knock Off a switch in.
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Muk-Alola: 156-184 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Muk-Alola Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 79-94 (28.1 - 33.4%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO

Lele isn't a major pursuit target. Although it tanks the Moonblast pretty nicely, Muk doesn't have recovery behind that Assault Vest. So it needs to act quickly. The only real strategy here is to use Knock Off.

Last edited:
252 SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Muk-Alola: 156-184 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Muk-Alola Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 79-94 (28.1 - 33.4%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO

Lele isn't a pursuit-trap target.
Your calc was only for non-boosted Pursuit. Here's what happens if Lele tries to switch:
252+ Atk Muk-Alola Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 157-186 (55.8 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Also, if Muk has Gluttony:
252 SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Muk-Alola: 156-184 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Gluttony Figy Berry recovery

Well doesn't Bulu work well with Muk anyway? I mean, EQ nerf + Grassy Terrain Recovery + something to nuke the fat grounds Muk hates?

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Muk-Alola: 156-184 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Lele isn't a major pursuit target. Although it tanks the Moonblast pretty nicely, Muk doesn't have recovery behind that Assault Vest. So it needs to act quickly. The only real strategy here is to use Knock Off.
Eh, you'll at the very least wound it (and you are immune to Psychic/Psyshock, meaning it can't fire those off willy-nilly if it's choiced) plus potentially poison it if you don't kill it (Poison Touch works with all of Muk's moves bar Fire Blast/Gunk Shot). TBH that's what I like about Muk, even if you don't really damage something you can still poison it/knock its item off (or both!).

Offense doesn't have room to run Haze/PHazers in general, which is the biggest hole in your logic. Also recipients such as Espeon render attempts to use Roar/Whirlwind useless, and the viable Haze users consist of two passive, stall-only Pokémon (Toxapex and Mantine) and a Pokémon which has difficulty fitting it into its moveset (Tapu Fini). As such, running it isn't very practical on the majority of teams.
Skarmory for Whirlwind? Tapu Bulu gets it too - for whatever reason. Lots of viable pokemon get roar.

Also Thundurus/Tornadus both get haze, and Amoongus, Muk, and Nihilegio all get Clear Smog, which does the same thing.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Skarmory for Whirlwind? Tapu Bulu gets it too - for whatever reason. Lots of viable pokemon get roar.

Also Thundurus/Tornadus both get haze, and Amoongus, Muk, and Nihilegio all get Clear Smog, which does the same thing.
Skarmory is practically stall-only this gen (not to mention it is STILL blocked by Espeon), Roar Tapu Bulu is not viable, Haze Torny/Thundy is not viable, Clear Smog is blocked by Sub, making it unreliable--not to mention that the only one of the three you listed that has any business running it is Amoonguss.

Don't try to force this shit lmao it doesn't change the fact that the logic is terrible. Using Haze kills momentum--something that offense can't afford to do--and the only time PHazing ever is/was remotely viable on offense in the past two gens is on TankChomp (kinda shitty set in the current meta) which--guess what--also can't PHaze through Substitute.

IMO, the "easiest" way to beat ScoliPass is beating Scolipede itself before it does it's job. Of all things viable in the tier, stuff like Water Shuriken Ash-Greninja and Icicle Spear Mamoswine/Cloyster are the ones closest to achieving it. Everything else is either very gimmicky or super niche; most stuff with Haze & Taunt can't afford to take a hit from Xurkitree (who's a staple of Scolipass), the only viable Infiltrator user is Chandelure, and the main sound move users in OU, Quiver Dance Pheromosa and Specs Primarina, get easily 2KOd by an uninvested Poison Jab.

I don't see ScoliPass teams being a thing for much longer, to be honest. They get wins pretty easily in almost brain-dead fashion, and that pretty much screams for a nerf. In the meantime, outsmarting the opponent is the other way to go, and that can be more manageable considering most of them follow a similar pattern:
  1. Send a suicide lead and throw SR, remove hazards and Toxic/Paralyze something. If you don't have one, skip to rule 2.
  2. Throw Scolipede and stall time with Protect & Subs.
  3. Baton Pass into something that resist whatever poke is opposing Scolipede. Air Ballon helps a lot.
  4. Boost stats and attemp to nuke everything until you die.
  5. Go back to rule 2.
  6. *Victory Fanfare*

IMO, the "easiest" way to beat ScoliPass is beating Scolipede itself before it does it's job. Of all things viable in the tier, stuff like Water Shuriken Ash-Greninja and Icicle Spear Mamoswine/Cloyster are the ones closest to achieving it. Everything else is either very gimmicky or super niche; most stuff with Haze & Taunt can't afford to take a hit from Xurkitree (who's a staple of Scolipass), the only viable Infiltrator user is Chandelure, and the main sound move users in OU, Quiver Dance Pheromosa and Specs Primarina, get easily 2KOd by an uninvested Poison Jab.

I don't see ScoliPass teams being a thing for much longer, to be honest. They get wins pretty easily in almost brain-dead fashion, and that pretty much screams for a nerf. In the meantime, outsmarting the opponent is the other way to go, and that can be more manageable considering most of them follow a similar pattern:
  1. Send a suicide lead and throw SR, remove hazards and Toxic/Paralyze something. If you don't have one, skip to rule 2.
  3. Baton Pass into something that resist whatever poke is opposing Scolipede. Air Ballon helps a lot.
  5. Go back to rule 2.
  6. *Victory Fanfare*
ScoliPass is a bit of setup fodder - just send in something with DDance or even Rock Polish on the opening protect (and cross your fingers and hope it doesn't sword dance for a sweep), and just match their speed boosts like for like.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion

5. Go back to rule 2.
  6. *Victory Fanfare*
Using Water Shuriken to stop a Scoli from subbing is a bad idea unless you aren't specs Gren (only good set imo) cause then they just prot turn 1 and after that they bp out into manaphy or something that takes 0 (yeah they did take ~40 from Gren but they still get free turns to set up). I mean you could double the turn they bp but if you predict wrong you're still in a awkward position. I've been using bp for a couple of days at 1600's to see how people deal with it and most of my losses are either hax or I play poorly cause bp gets kinda boring after like 3 games and then you just go auto pilot mode and still manage to get wins lol

Edit @above: Yeah rp Lando is a nice antilead if you face Scolipass, ddance doesn't work that well tho cause you take 1 turn to boost Speed +1 while they can sub and get the +1 at the same time which means even they still get a safe switchin to the recipient. Most of the time when I see a Lando I just lead manaphy and double into Scoli and then bp +1 into manaphy as they go back into Lando, doesn't always work but is a way around it

Last edited:
Using Water Shuriken to stop a Scoli from subbing is a bad idea unless you aren't specs Gren (only good set imo) cause then they just prot turn 1 and after that they bp out into manaphy or something that takes 0 (yeah they did take ~40 from Gren but they still get free turns to set up). I mean you could double the turn they bp but if you predict wrong you're still in a awkward position. I've been using bp for a couple of days at 1600's to see how people deal with it and most of my losses are either hax or I play poorly cause bp gets kinda boring after like 3 games and then you just go auto pilot mode and still manage to get wins lol

Edit @above: Yeah rp Lando is a nice antilead if you face Scolipass, ddance doesn't work that well tho cause you take 1 turn to boost Speed +1 while they can sub and get the +1 at the same time which means even they still get a safe switchin to the recipient. Most of the time when I see a Lando I just lead manaphy and double into Scoli and then bp +1 into manaphy as they go back into Lando, doesn't always work but is a way around it
My bad - D-Dance meant dragon dance - but double dance still does well too!

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Slowking is a hell of Dragon tail/trick room user.

Idk I've fought a bunch of those teams the only ones worth their salt vs stall had exadrill and I made some bad plays.

Speed tiers are super out of control gen, why people use choice scarf phesmo and why I'm amazed T-wave hasn't made any come back, yeah definitely nerfed hard but half speed is huge anymore

I'm curious that you keep talking about Dragon Dance, or any move that boosts Speed by a single stage. It only raises Speed at the same rate as Scolipede, and literally no Dragon Dancer besides Mega Rayquaza outspeeds Scolipede, so even if you predict it perfectly and bring in your Salamence or Dragonite on the switch to Scolipede, it gets the same boosts you do except it's free to SD, Sub, attack, or any other 8 options, and it's still faster. God forbid it Subs as you DD, because now it has a free Baton Pass to literally every Pokemon on your opponent's team and inflict all kinds of damage. You ever face a Guts-activated +2 Heracross? I've only ever pulled it off once before, but I got an instant forfeit because anything that normally threatened it was now outsped and I OHKO'd, and there was nothing I couldn't 2HKO on their team.

I apologize bringing up Heracross after it was blacklisted, but the point is that Baton Pass is fucking uncompetitive and exacerbates team match-up unnecessarily. It went through as many nerfs as it did and it is STILL problematic. Let's just ban the move (I think UU already reinstated the BP ban that went into effect late in ORAS) and get on with our lives.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
I'm curious that you keep talking about Dragon Dance, or any move that boosts Speed by a single stage. It only raises Speed at the same rate as Scolipede, and literally no Dragon Dancer besides Mega Rayquaza outspeeds Scolipede, so even if you predict it perfectly and bring in your Salamence or Dragonite on the switch to Scolipede, it gets the same boosts you do except it's free to SD, Sub, attack, or any other 8 options, and it's still faster. God forbid it Subs as you DD, because now it has a free Baton Pass to literally every Pokemon on your opponent's team and inflict all kinds of damage. You ever face a Guts-activated +2 Heracross? I've only ever pulled it off once before, but I got an instant forfeit because anything that normally threatened it was now outsped and I OHKO'd, and there was nothing I couldn't 2HKO on their team.

I apologize bringing up Heracross after it was blacklisted, but the point is that Baton Pass is fucking uncompetitive and exacerbates team match-up unnecessarily. It went through as many nerfs as it did and it is STILL problematic. Let's just ban the move (I think UU already reinstated the BP ban that went into effect late in ORAS) and get on with our lives.
Yeah I don't get the "Dragon Dance beats it easily" thing either. If you lead a Zard against a Scoli and start clicking dd you won't beat bp unless your opponent literally throws the game lol, the priority moves beat it doesn't make sense either and any Scarfer is outsped by Scoli after Protect lol I don't think this guy has ever faced Scoli tbh

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/825989852378300417

Seems Mawilite and Beedrillite are coming! They're gonna be distributed through Online Competitions. Called it!

So happy Beedrill is getting it's Mega released. It's arguably the biggest winner of the Mega Evolution Speed Change in my opinion.
Will you unban Beedrillite and Mawilite from all gen 7 metagames for that?
They are released now through the 2017 International Challenge February Online Competition.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
I'd think the nature's madness+moonblast 30% drop chance would make it happen the other way around and really misty terrain taking away the chance of burns really opens a whole book on ways to force volcanion out, mostly switching to another water/special wall

but running sludge bomb it has merit vs fini

I'd think the nature's madness+moonblast 30% drop chance would make it happen the other way around and really misty terrain taking away the chance of burns really opens a whole book on ways to force volcanion out, mostly switching to another water/special wall

but running sludge bomb it has merit vs fini
sludge wave does the job fine by a bloom doom obviously works better. furthermore moonblast is gonna be doing jack shit vs a volcanion; although hypothetically fini should be a good volc check based on typing, it doesn't really hold up. even choice locked volcs can still dent fini with steam eruption til is can't switch in, making it an OK choice on water spam teams (SSSS Gyara+Specs Volc maybe?). That being said, there are definitely better choices and it's not really the best mon in this meta.

Scolipede carries Rock Slide for such situations and Pheromosa commonly has Ice Beam. If you wanna run a garbage set like Scarfbat (which has the same problem as DD in that Scolipede still has the advantage, and if you ever screw up you still get stomped), you're welcome to, but we're starting to hit Volt Absorb Lanturn levels of junk to shut down one Pokemon.

Everyone's suggesting ways to beat baton pass, but I feel like this is highlighting how broken baton pass really is. While yes, infiltrator crobat and haze users beat baton pass in theory, you have to go out of your way to fit these on your teams. Haze has a very limited distribution and crobat just isn't good. To beat baton pass you have to make your team worse than it should be just to have an answer to it. Even if you do have an answer to it, the baton pass player can play around it and still win.

I think direction this thread is taking is speaking for how OU currently has so much busted stuff at the same time. Mega Metagross, Protean Greninja, Arena Trap/Sableye stall, Baton Pass, etc are all coming together to create an unstable meta where it's impossible to build a team that won't lose just because your opponent is rocking a team you don't have the tools to adequately take on. Entry hazards put pressure on teambuilding. But as much as I hate to admit it, they're admittedly more bearable because it's feasible to pack countermeasures to them in multiple team archetypes without leaving yourself wide open to something else. Things like Mega Metagross, Protean Greninja, Baton Pass, SM stall, Pheromosa, etc. only have a few specific mons that can handle them reliable in a variety situations without forcing yourself to make off the wall plays that can easily backfire. And with 6 slots, you can only pack a solid answer for so many things at once. This probably explains why stall is so prevalent right now. It's probably the only playstayle atm that has the tools to handle the grand majority of the metagame with it having many strong walls, phazers, status inducers, a trapper, hazard countermeasures, and so on.

Clearly some suspects at a later point are necessary but it's tough to tell what should truly go and what should go first. It's quite possible certain things wouldn't be as hard to account provided something else wasn't around at the same time. One thing is certain though. OU is quite unstable and constricting atm and something has to give.

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
I think direction this thread is taking is speaking for how OU currently has so much busted stuff at the same time. Mega Metagross, Protean Greninja, Arena Trap/Sableye stall, Baton Pass, etc are all coming together to create an unstable meta where it's impossible to build a team that won't lose just because your opponent is rocking a team you don't have the tools to adequately take on. Entry hazards put pressure on teambuilding. But as much as I hate to admit it, they're admittedly more bearable because it's feasible to pack countermeasures to them in multiple team archetypes without leaving yourself wide open to something else. Things like Mega Metagross, Protean Greninja, Baton Pass, SM stall, Pheromosa, etc. only have a few specific mons that can handle them reliable in a variety situations without forcing yourself to make off the wall plays that can easily backfire. And with 6 slots, you can only pack a solid answer for so many things at once. This probably explains why stall is so prevalent right now. It's probably the only playstayle atm that has the tools to handle the grand majority of the metagame with it having many strong walls, phazers, status inducers, a trapper, hazard countermeasures, and so on.

Clearly some suspects at a later point are necessary but it's tough to tell what should truly go and what should go first. It's quite possible certain things wouldn't be as hard to account provided something else wasn't around at the same time. One thing is certain though. OU is quite unstable and constricting atm and something has to give.
This summarizes it all really well, building a solid team in this meta is quite difficult because you may have the tools to beat Offense but then you realize your Stallbreaker is a Specs Hoopa, or that your main way of beating bp is X thing that doesn't consistently beat it and that adapting your team to these threats would make it worse so you just go ahead and use that team hoping you don't run into those. I don't know if the council shares this opinion but I hope we see a suspect on Arena Trap soon because it's the most problematic of them all imo and there was a discussion about it that kinda died a week ago.

I think this sentiment is wrong, and having this kind of mindset means you're not fully exploring the possibilities. This sounds like I'm being overly negative on you TimG but I'm not trying to be, I just want to steer people away from the mindset of "everything is broken, everything must be banned". Last gen, I had a *hearty* discussion with a *certain* former moderator about how I was dissatisfied with the state of the OU and I thought some more offensive threats should have been re-tested at the end of ORAS - it was *interesting*, with him/her claiming that they were doing what was *best* for the meta and saying I was more or less a know-nothing idiot who should keep his opinions to himself (you can replace the words within the asterisks with more colourful - and probably appropriate - adjectives if you like).

The point is, when it came to the Genesect ban, I whole-heartedly agreed with ABR's opinion that more offensive threats need to be kept in the tier to keep things interesting and challenge players to think on their feet - I think the only problem was that I just didn't think that applied to Genesect. Genesect was too strong and too easy with its mixed sets and good speed, it did need a ban - but of the whole rest of the meta I think it's the only thing that very apparently needed a ban straight away after the initial quick bans.

First and foremost, I think any discussion of "X is toxic" should be tabled until Beedrillite and Mawilite are released. I think M-Beedrill will make a splash, offering stronger offensive hits than Pheromosa with still good coverage (that out-paces the all-mighty Metagross and hits him super effectively with Drill Run) and while it is rocks weak we all know what Fini is for, right? Another fast hard U-turner will put more pressure as well on things like Sash Dugtrio, breaking their sash with U-turn and leading to a possible counter, as it will with Greninja who it outspeeds also (and yes, it can be taken down with Water Shuriken, but the most common set is specs and then it's locked into a checkable move). Mawile, to a lesser extent, will likely also threaten things with insanely strong STAB moves coupled to dark priority to keep Metagross in check. With these two so nearly on the horizon and set to make a bit of a splash, there's no need to get ahead of ourselves.

In the terms of not thinking of additional strategies, I'm currently running Sub CM Keldeo as anti-stall and anti-Greninja. Yes, it won't stop Haze Toxapex, and yes, it won't stop Extrasensory LO Protean Greninja - but beyond those two caveats (which aren't entirely common) it has a lot of offensive pressure. I think a lot of the reason people don't run it is because it's not easy with so many Tapus running around, but that doesn't mean you can't handle them with a different mon and leave Keldeo for the times you need it. Giving yourself a couple of checks to these kind of match-ups, while they don't work against every set, work enough of the time to stop these kind of bad issues ruining your ability to ladder.

And yes, Metagross is strong - very strong - but to be honest I think a lot of the gripes with it are the shift towards fairies and it's annoying ability to boost unpredictably with Meteor Mash. The latter means that players can prepare a check and then lose out for no particular reason, but it's also ignoring all the times when Meteor Mash misses - but I think those frustrating boosts skew players' opinions of it. It's a very strong mon, but to be honest nothing has really changed for it since last gen (there aren't too many people using Lele or Koko to give it suped up Zen Headbutts or Thunder Punches as people thought there would be) so I'd be very on the fence over whether it's deserving of a ban.

All this is to say, yes there are possibly things that should be banned, but harder attempts should be made by players to ladder high than just selecting a load of highly viable mons and expecting to take the ladder by storm (not that this particularly applies to you TimG). I made a top 100 ladder TR team in this meta by considering what was anti-meta, and I'm hoping from current results my Aurora Veil team will be the same - precisely because I challenge myself to think inside the framework of the current meta and take it on by unconventional means rather than hoping for bans that make my potentially restricted views on team-building easier for me.

So let's hold our horses, enjoy this crazy meta while it lasts and think carefully on how we want to vote in future suspect tests or if those ban arguments should be given weight in the first place. I for one still don't ever want to see a meta so toothless that Clefable becomes S rank again (I know, "Paralysis nerf this gen means than wouldn't happen, you noob!" But if not Clefable, a comparable mon).

Last edited:
I think this sentiment is wrong, and having this kind of mindset means you're not fully exploring the possibilities. This sounds like I'm being overly negative on you TimG but I'm not trying to be, I just want to steer people away from the mindset of "everything is broken, everything must be banned". Last gen, I had a *hearty* discussion with a *certain* former moderator about how I was dissatisfied with the state of the OU and I thought some more offensive threats should have been re-tested at the end of ORAS - it was *interesting*, with him/her claiming that they were doing what was *best* for the meta and saying I was more or less a know-nothing idiot who should keep his opinions to himself (you can replace the words within the asterisks with more colourful - and probably appropriate - adjectives if you like).

The point is, when it came to the Genesect ban, I whole-heartedly agreed with ABR's opinion that more offensive threats need to be kept in the tier to keep things interesting and challenge players to think on their feet - I think the only problem was that I just didn't think that applied to Genesect. Genesect was too strong and too easy with its mixed sets and good speed, it did need a ban - but of the whole rest of the meta I think it's the only thing that very apparently needed a ban straight away after the initial quick bans.

First and foremost, I think any discussion of "X is toxic" should be tabled until Beedrillite and Mawilite are released. I think M-Beedrill will make a splash, offering stronger offensive hits than Pheromosa with still good coverage (that out-paces the all-mighty Metagross and hits him super effectively with Drill Run) and while it is rocks weak we all know what Fini is for, right? Another fast hard U-turner will put more pressure as well on things like Sash Dugtrio, breaking their sash with U-turn and leading to a possible counter, as it will with Greninja who it outspeeds also (and yes, it can be taken down with Water Shuriken, but the most common set is specs and then it's locked into a checkable move). Mawile, to a lesser extent, will likely also threaten things with insanely strong STAB moves coupled to dark priority to keep Metagross in check. With these two so nearly on the horizon and set to make a bit of a splash, there's no need to get ahead of ourselves.

In the terms of not thinking of additional strategies, I'm currently running Sub CM Keldeo as anti-stall and anti-Greninja. Yes, it won't stop Haze Toxapex, and yes, it won't stop Extrasensory LO Protean Greninja - but beyond those two caveats (which aren't entirely common) it has a lot of offensive pressure. I think a lot of the reason people don't run it is because it's not easy with so many Tapus running around, but that doesn't mean you can't handle them with a different mon and leave Keldeo for the times you need it. Giving yourself a couple of checks to these kind of match-ups, while they don't work against every set, work enough of the time to stop these kind of bad issues ruining your ability to ladder.

And yes, Metagross is strong - very strong - but to be honest I think a lot of the gripes with it are the shift towards fairies and it's annoying ability to boost unpredictably with Meteor Mash. The latter means that players can prepare a check and then lose out for no particular reason, but it's also ignoring all the times when Meteor Mash misses - but I think those frustrating boosts skew players' opinions of it. It's a very strong mon, but to be honest nothing has really changed for it since last gen (there aren't too many people using Lele or Koko to give it suped up Zen Headbutts or Thunder Punches as people thought there would be) so I'd be very on the fence over whether it's deserving of a ban.

All this is to say, yes there are possibly things that should be banned, but attempts harder attempts should be made by players to ladder high then just selecting a load of highly viable mons and expecting to take the ladder by storm (not that this particularly applies to you TimG). I made a top 100 ladder TR team in this meta by considering what was anti-meta, and I'm hoping from current results my Aurora Veil team will be the same - precisely because I challenge myself to think inside the framework of the current meta and take it on by unconventional means rather than hoping for bans that make my potentially restricted views on team-building easier for me.

So let's hold our horses, enjoy this crazy meta while it lasts and think carefully on how we want to vote in future suspect tests or if those ban arguments should be given weight in the first place. I for one still don't ever want to see a meta so toothless that Clefable becomes S rank again (I know, "Paralysis nerf this gen means than wouldn't happen, you noob!" But if not Clefable, a comparable mon).
I am pretty sure that I made it clear that while all that stuff is strong, the real issue is that the meta game has it all at once and that some of it might not be a unbalanced as initially thought if something more constricting overall is removed. While yes, we shouldn't have a mindset of "Ban EVERY thing that's really good", and I feel a meta can only have so much super potent stuff at once before something has to addressed. Also note that I didn't say that suspects are urgent and need to happen soon. Just that, at some point if things don't improve, they may need to happen.

Funny enough, the main reason I made this post was not to convince people that all this stuff is unbalanced but rather that it's all these things TOGETHER and at the SAME time that's leading to frustration. I am actually in favor of waiting a tad longer just so that we axe the right thing first and don't screw up by banning something that really isn't unmanageable but is exacberated because of other stuff in the meta alongside it.

I personally feel that the metagame is adapting to Mega Metagross. Its not nearly as big of a problem as I initially thought it was. I agree with waiting a while before we test Mega Metagross and Greninja. However, I do feel that baton pass is going to stay broken forever and there is no point on waiting to see if the meta will adapt.

I am pretty sure that I made it clear that while all that stuff is strong, the real issue is that the meta game has it all at once and that some of it might not be a unbalanced as initially thought if something more constricting overall is removed. While yes, we shouldn't have a mindset of "Ban EVERY thing that's really good", and I feel a meta can only have so much super potent stuff at once before something has to addressed. Also note that I didn't say that suspects are urgent and need to happen soon. Just that, at some point if things don't improve, they may need to happen.

Funny enough, the main reason I made this post was not to convince people that all this stuff is unbalanced but rather that it's all these things TOGETHER and at the SAME time that's leading to frustration. I am actually in favor of waiting a tad longer just so that we axe the right thing first and don't screw up by banning something that really isn't unmanageable but is exacberated because of other stuff in the meta alongside it.
Wasn't really trying to zone in on you, as mentioned - I think it was just that I saw these kind of ideas sparking off your original post. It seems like we're more or less on the same page with the "banning something that really isn't unmanageable but is exacerbated because of other stuff in the meta alongside it", which I think truly set the tone for last gen's unfortunate bans. I guess I just wanted to advocate the necessity of having strong ban arguments before something is banned, rather than the somewhat blitzkrieg effect last gen we had that felt a little knee-jerk because of the power creep (did Greninja with the move-tutor moves and Mega Mawile need to be banned really?).

The point I was trying to make last gen (before a certain *argument* took place) was that a gen where Clefable has become this S-ranked terror for OU is a gen where IMO the banning has gone too far, and maybe if we find ourselves there again we should re-test banned threats. Apologies if I came across as overly negative on you but as I mentioned and as you seem on board with, possibly a stay of action is better until a really well justified suspect test can be brought forth. Until that point, trying to be creative as I said seems like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)