Ubers Mewtwo

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

QC: Nayrz / Fireburn / Dominatio
GP: P Squared

[OVERVIEW]

* Mewtwo's high base offensive stats allow it to effectively wallbreak while also being able to clean up late-game.
* Mewtwo sits at an excellent Speed tier and is thus able to outspeed many offensive threats in the metagame, including Shaymin-S and anything slower.
* Mewtwo has an excellent movepool that consists of powerful coverage options, utility, and setup moves.
* When holding a Psychium Z, Mewtwo has access to a 180-Base Power attack.
* Mewtwo has amazing potential with Psychic Terrain support, as it greatly increases the power of Psystrike.
* Mewtwo checks some of the new additions to the tier, such as Solgaleo, Celesteela, and Zygarde-C, with its coverage options.
* However, Mewtwo's attacks can fall short of a lot of important OHKOs.
* Although Mewtwo has decent bulk for an offensive Pokemon, its typing is lacking in useful resistances.
* Mewtwo suffers from four-moveslot-syndrome, so it can't run all of the coverage moves it wants to.
* Mewtwo also faces competition from Deoxys-A as a fast Psychic-type wallbreaker.

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Psystrike
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Fire Blast / Calm Mind / Taunt
item: Life Orb
ability: Pressure
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Psystrike serves as the obligatory STAB move, capable of OHKOing and 2HKOing many Pokemon that don't resist it while bypassing dedicated special walls, such as Blissey.
* Focus Blast allows Mewtwo to hit Steel-types such as Dialga and Dark-types such as Arceus-Dark and Darkrai super effectively.
* Ice Beam gives Mewtwo much-needed coverage, OHKOing Mega Salamence and hitting Rayqyaza, Yveltal, Lugia, Giratina-O, and Arceus-Ground hard.
* Fire Blast lets Mewtwo hit certain Steel-types harder than Psystrike or Focus Blast, such as Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, Magearna, Aegislash, Celesteela, and Solgaleo.
* Taunt can be used over Fire Blast to improve Mewtwo's matchup against more defensive teams, but Mewtwo needs as much coverage as it can get.
* Mewtwo can also use Calm Mind, granting it the ability to set up; after a boost, it can OHKO and 2HKO most offensive Pokemon.
* Shadow Ball OHKOes Lunala when Shadow Shield is down and gives Mewtwo a reliable way of hitting Pokemon such as Arceus-Ghost.

Set Details
========

* Full Special Attack and Speed investment with a Timid nature makes Mewtwo as fast and as powerful as possible.
* Pressure is the better ability Mewtwo gets, but it's very situational.
* Life Orb is used over to increase Mewtwo's overall damage output.
* When running Calm Mind, Psychium Z can be used, as Mewtwo's boosted attacks make up for the loss of Life Orb. A +1 Shattered Psyche also OHKOes many offensive Arceus formes.

Usage Tips
========

* Try to get Mewtwo in safely, such as by double switching or using a pivot, as it isn't bulky and can't switch in on a powerful attack.
* Mewtwo works best as a mid-game wallbreaker, weakening checks for another Pokemon on your team to sweep.
* It can also clean up late-game if given the opportunity.
* If running Taunt, it should be used liberally to prevent support Pokemon from using recovery moves, status moves, or utility moves like Defog.
* Due to Mewtwo's inability to pick up OHKOs on certain targets, it is best to use the appropriate coverage move, especially on a predicted switch or on a read, to wallbreak more effectively.
* When using Calm Mind on Mewtwo, it is best to set up on a predicted switch or on defensive Pokemon that either can't do too much back to Mewtwo or are weak to Mewtwo's moves, such as Toxapex and some support Arceus formes.
* Due to the lack of coverage when using Calm Mind, appropriate foes should be eliminated before setting up.
* If running Ice Beam, Pokemon such as Aegislash must be eliminated before trying to sweep.
* If using Shadow Ball or Fire Blast, it is easier to set up due to their great coverage combined with Psystrike and Focus Blast, but certain Pokemon weak to Ice, such as Yveltal and Mega Salamence, must be weakened a bit before attempting to sweep.
* If Mewtwo is in a position to sweep after a Calm Mind boost, it is extremely important to only set up when all of Mewtwo's checks are gone and all faster threats and priority users have been eliminated.
* If running Psychium Z, be aware that an unboosted Shattered Psyche will not OHKO certain walls, so don't preemptively use it unless you know it will KO.
252 SpA Mewtwo Shattered Psyche (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Water: 285-336 (64.1 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mewtwo Shattered Psyche (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Primal Groudon: 258-304 (64 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Team Options
========

* Mewtwo really appreciates Pokemon with access to entry hazards, as hazards help Mewtwo achieve more OHKOes and 2HKOes. These Pokemon include Primal Groudon, Toxapex, Deoxys-S, and Dialga.
* Dark-types, such as Darkrai, Arceus-Dark, and Yveltal can deal with the Ghost-types that trouble Mewtwo, particularly Arceus-Ghost, Giratina-O, and Aegislash.
* Darkrai and Mewtwo form a fast and formidable wallbreaking core that offers perfect coverage.
* Fairy-types, such as Xerneas and Klefki, are great partners for Mewtwo due to their ability to check Dark-types, while Mewtwo can check Poison- and Steel-types that trouble them in return.
* Tapu Lele, although not able to check Dark-types, can provide Mewtwo with Psychic Terrain support, increasing the power of Psystrike.
* Setup sweepers, such as Extreme Killer Arceus and Mega Salamence, appreciate Mewtwo's ability to weaken Pokemon such as Zygarde-C and Toxapex for a sweep.
* Mewtwo appreciates bulky walls, such as Primal Groudon, Arceus-Water, defensive Primal Kyogre, and defensive Yveltal, for their ability to sponge attacks aimed at Mewtwo.
* U-turn grants Mewtwo free and safe switches, so Pokemon like Mega Scizor, Genesect, and defensive Yveltal form good teammates.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Thunder can be used to hit Arceus-Water, Lugia, and physically defensive Primal Kyogre for more damage; however, Thunder offers inferior coverage compared to Mewtwo's other moves.
* A bulkier Calm Mind set with Recover can be run, trading immediate firepower for more setup opportunities and increased longevity.
* Choice Specs can offer more power than Life Orb, but Mewtwo greatly appreciates the ability to switch up moves.
* Mewtwo has access to both Reflect and Light Screen, but Klefki and Deoxys-S are better choices for these moves.
* Recover can be used for increased longevity, but again, Mewtwo usually doesn't have the room to run it.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ghost-types**: The Ghost-types within the tier all pose as threats to Mewtwo. Giratina-O can threaten Mewtwo with a super effective Hex, Shadow Sneak, or Shadow Force depending on the set. Aegislash threatens Mewtwo with Gyro Ball and Shadow Sneak and resists almost all of Mewtwo's attacks, and if Calm Mind Mewtwo isn't carrying Fire Blast and Shadow Ball, Aegislash completely walls it. Giratina can come in on a Psystrike and can hit Mewtwo with a status move in return. Mega Sableye is immune to Psystrike and Focus Blast, and it can 2HKO Mewtwo with Foul Play and can status it; however, Life Orb Mewtwo's Fire Blast does 2HKO, and Mega Sableye cannot beat Calm Mind Mewtwo one-on-one.

**Lunala**: Lunala hard checks any Mewtwo set without Shadow Ball and can OHKO Mewtwo with Moongiest Beam. Lunala also has high Special Defense and resists Psystrike, so it can come in on Mewtwo rather easily. However, Lunala gets outsped by Mewtwo, and if Mewtwo is carrying Shadow Ball, it will be OHKOed without its Shadow Shield.

**Arceus-Ghost**: If Mewtwo is not running Life Orb, Arceus-Ghost avoids the 2HKO from any unboosted attack barring Shadow Ball, and it can threaten Mewtwo with a super effective Shadow Claw. However, Life Orb Mewtwo can 2HKO Arceus-Ghost on the switch.

**Arceus-Dark**: Arceus-Dark is immune to Psystrike and threatens Mewtwo with a Judgment. However, Mewtwo is faster than Arceus-Dark, and Focus Blast will 2HKO it.

**Yveltal**: Yveltal struggles to switch in on Mewtwo's Ice Beam, but once in safely, it can threaten Mewtwo with a powerful Sucker Punch, Dark Pulse, or Foul Play. Yveltal is also immune to Psystrike.

**Alolan Muk**: Alolan Muk avoids the 2HKO from all of Mewtwo's attacks even at +1, and it can Pursuit trap Mewtwo or potentially poison it.

**Bulky Psychic-types**: Bulky Psychic-types, such as Arceus-Psychic, Lugia, Deoxys-D, Mega Slowbro, and specially defensive Solgaleo can take most of Mewtwo's hits relatively comfortably and can status Mewtwo in return. However, all of them are hit decently hard by Shadow Ball, and in some cases, appropriate coverage moves, and they can't really do too much back to Mewtwo other than statusing it. Also, all of these bulky Psychic-types are stopped by Taunt, if Mewtwo is running it.

**Faster Threats and Priority**: One of Mewtwo's major selling points is its very high Speed. Therefore, faster Pokemon and revenge killers, such as Pheromosa, Deoxys-A, and Choice Scarf Genesect, Xerneas, Zekrom, and Lunala, can outspeed Mewtwo and do heavy damage to it or revenge kill it. Furthermore, priority users, such as Mega Scizor and Extreme Killer Arceus, can deter a potential Mewtwo sweep.

**Status**: In general, Mewtwo dislikes being crippled by status. Specifically, paralysis severely hinders Mewtwo by lowering its Speed, thus leaving Mewtwo very vulnerable to attacks.

Last edited:
Move tutor moves from ΩRAS are legal on Mewtwo. You can't breed it, so any moves it learns in ΩRAS can be transferred into Sun/Moon. You just can't relearn them if you forget them.

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Move tutor moves from ΩRAS are legal on Mewtwo. You can't breed it, so any moves it learns in ΩRAS can be transferred into Sun/Moon. You just can't relearn them if you forget them.
Thanks for the clarification. The analysis has been updated.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I am unsure as to the usage of the Z-Crystal over Life Orb on Mewtwo and I will get back to you on this ASAP. My gut tells me Life Orb is preferred on an all-out-attacker and Z-Crystal is preferred on Calm Mind though.

Stalltwo is awful in this meta and should be removed. It hasn't gained anything from ORAS (still hard-countered by Mega Sableye so it won't get much stallbreaking done if at all), doesn't overly bother Primal Groudon, and is arguably even worse than it was in Gen 6 since it gives Lunala free turns and the large increase in Yveltal/Darkceus usage do it no favors either. Remove the set and remove all mentions of it anywhere else in the analysis.

I honestly wouldn't bother slashing Aura Sphere on any set, it is too weak to get anything done. The OHKO on Darkrai isn't too relevant because Darkrai is not nearly as common (or good) as it used to be.

Remove any calcs relating to Tapu Fini as it was rejected.

Lunala has 0 mentions in C&C which is baffling as it hard checks any set without Shadow Ball (and checks sets with Shadow Ball if its Scarfed). Lunala has high SDef and resists Psystrike so it can come in on Mewtwo rather easily, needs to be emphasized more. Ghost-types can be lumped together in one bullet, though I would give Lunala its own section due to Strike resistance.

Overview can be made more concise - mentioning it outspeeds Shaymin-S and anything slower should be sufficient. Deoxys-A competition and the potential of Psychic Terrain support should be mentioned. When mentioning Tapu Lele in set details, it should be exclusively for Psychic Terrain support - it cannot check Dark-types well at all.

I'll comment more later when 1) I've had a chance to discuss this more with QC and 2) it isn't 4 AM.

Fireflame

Silksong when
I am unsure as to the usage of the Z-Crystal over Life Orb on Mewtwo and I will get back to you on this ASAP. My gut tells me Life Orb is preferred on an all-out-attacker and Z-Crystal is preferred on Calm Mind though.

Stalltwo is awful in this meta and should be removed. It hasn't gained anything from ORAS (still hard-countered by Mega Sableye so it won't get much stallbreaking done if at all), doesn't overly bother Primal Groudon, and is arguably even worse than it was in Gen 6 since it gives Lunala free turns and the large increase in Yveltal/Darkceus usage do it no favors either. Remove the set and remove all mentions of it anywhere else in the analysis.

I honestly wouldn't bother slashing Aura Sphere on any set, it is too weak to get anything done. The OHKO on Darkrai isn't too relevant because Darkrai is not nearly as common (or good) as it used to be.

Remove any calcs relating to Tapu Fini as it was rejected.

Lunala has 0 mentions in C&C which is baffling as it hard checks any set without Shadow Ball (and checks sets with Shadow Ball if its Scarfed). Lunala has high SDef and resists Psystrike so it can come in on Mewtwo rather easily, needs to be emphasized more. Ghost-types can be lumped together in one bullet, though I would give Lunala its own section due to Strike resistance.

Overview can be made more concise - mentioning it outspeeds Shaymin-S and anything slower should be sufficient. Deoxys-A competition and the potential of Psychic Terrain support should be mentioned. When mentioning Tapu Lele in set details, it should be exclusively for Psychic Terrain support - it cannot check Dark-types well at all.

I'll comment more later when 1) I've had a chance to discuss this more with QC and 2) it isn't 4 AM.
Sorry if it wasn't clear, but I have made these changes, and I am ready for my first QC check. Just updating the thread...

I'm not much of an Ubers player, but looking at the other options section, why on earth are moves such as Electro Ball and Water Pulse of all things mentioned? In fact, every one of those moves you listed seems irrelevant in the ubers metagame, especially when Mewtwo has access to prime coverage moves like the ones already in the sets. I would just make a small mention of Mewtwo's expansive special movepool and leave it at that, no need to go into specifics when the best options by far are already listed.

Mewtwo is not a Lunala check, regardless of Shadow Ball or not because Shadow Shield exists and Lunala could be a Scarf set anyway. It's the other way around and it forces Mewtwo to run Shadow Ball (less optimal coverage) if it wants to hit Lunala - remove this from the overview.

Psychium Z seems very gimmicky and takes a lot away from Mewtwo as now its moves deal way less damage - Max HP Arceus isn't even 2HKOd after rocks by Psystrike and a Shattered Psyche doesn't do anything noteworthy enough to warrant usage (a +1 Psyche does OHKO Arceus which is why it can be fine on CM sets), but it certainly doesn't cover for the massive damage loss overall on the 4 attacks set. Boosting Psystrike via Psychium Z doesn't allow Shattered Psyche to hit the Defense stat either as it ignores secondary effects, so its essentially a full special mewtwo with less damage on its best move which is far easier to check with special walls or just in general. Remove it from the 1st set, its fine on the 2nd.

Shadow Ball isn't necessary to hit Tapu Lele "reliably" - its own Psychic Terrain causes LO Mewtwo to one shot it with Psystrike after SR - 252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 229-269 (81.4 - 95.7%)

No need to mention Genesect and EVs for Download - it does not require a skeleton as it is not Uber by tiering and its pretty ass so mentioning it anywhere isn't needed atm. 0 Attack IVs are auto defaulted by Showdown these days and its usually a thing readers do on their own, so thats not needed to be mentioned either.

The rest seems fine but other options needs some looking at:

Electro Ball was only relevant (and still very awful) on Mewtwo for 2HKOing any Mega Sableye unboosted, but Fire Blast was already very close in doing this and Sableye has trouble in a 1v1 vs Mewtwo in the first place. The only thing out of that list that should be there isn't even Thunderbolt, but Thunder. It hits Arceus-Water for about 80% while also doing more against physically defensive Primal Kyogre and Lugia, however Lugia is 2HKOd by Ice Beam anyway.

Scarf Mewtwo is ass and anything physical should be left out until Mewtwonite X makes a return - I'd probably remove both.

Make the changes and you got yourself a stamp.

Fireflame

Silksong when
Mewtwo is not a Lunala check, regardless of Shadow Ball or not because Shadow Shield exists and Lunala could be a Scarf set anyway. It's the other way around and it forces Mewtwo to run Shadow Ball (less optimal coverage) if it wants to hit Lunala - remove this from the overview.

Psychium Z seems very gimmicky and takes a lot away from Mewtwo as now its moves deal way less damage - Max HP Arceus isn't even 2HKOd after rocks by Psystrike and a Shattered Psyche doesn't do anything noteworthy enough to warrant usage (a +1 Psyche does OHKO Arceus which is why it can be fine on CM sets), but it certainly doesn't cover for the massive damage loss overall on the 4 attacks set. Boosting Psystrike via Psychium Z doesn't allow Shattered Psyche to hit the Defense stat either as it ignores secondary effects, so its essentially a full special mewtwo with less damage on its best move which is far easier to check with special walls or just in general. Remove it from the 1st set, its fine on the 2nd.

Shadow Ball isn't necessary to hit Tapu Lele "reliably" - its own Psychic Terrain causes LO Mewtwo to one shot it with Psystrike after SR - 252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 229-269 (81.4 - 95.7%)

No need to mention Genesect and EVs for Download - it does not require a skeleton as it is not Uber by tiering and its pretty ass so mentioning it anywhere isn't needed atm. 0 Attack IVs are auto defaulted by Showdown these days and its usually a thing readers do on their own, so thats not needed to be mentioned either.

The rest seems fine but other options needs some looking at:

Electro Ball was only relevant (and still very awful) on Mewtwo for 2HKOing any Mega Sableye unboosted, but Fire Blast was already very close in doing this and Sableye has trouble in a 1v1 vs Mewtwo in the first place. The only thing out of that list that should be there isn't even Thunderbolt, but Thunder. It hits Arceus-Water for about 80% while also doing more against physically defensive Primal Kyogre and Lugia, however Lugia is 2HKOd by Ice Beam anyway.

Scarf Mewtwo is ass and anything physical should be left out until Mewtwonite X makes a return - I'd probably remove both.

Make the changes and you got yourself a stamp.
May I still mention that Mewtwo has a good physical movepool but it should never be used due to its inferiority, or should I just keep it removed.

Otherwise, done.

* Mewtwo has a lot of other options that can further its utility.
* Mewtwo has a great special movepool that consists of other coverage moves, such as Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Signal Beam, and Water Pulse. However, these moves offer lackluster coverage compared to Mewtwo's better moves.

Should be removed - the first offers nothing of note and the second covers awful moves that i thought i implied should be removed with my last post. I'd just keep the physical stuff outta there until MMX returns and then it would have its own set. Make sure Genesect is removed from the skeleton outside of the small C&C mention until the result of OU's suspect test.

QC 1/3

Fireflame

Silksong when
* Mewtwo has a lot of other options that can further its utility.
* Mewtwo has a great special movepool that consists of other coverage moves, such as Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Signal Beam, and Water Pulse. However, these moves offer lackluster coverage compared to Mewtwo's better moves.

Should be removed - the first offers nothing of note and the second covers awful moves that i thought i implied should be removed with my last post. I'd just keep the physical stuff outta there until MMX returns and then it would have its own set. Make sure Genesect is removed from the skeleton outside of the small C&C mention until the result of OU's suspect test.

QC 1/3
Did

Fireflame

Silksong when
Can Mewtwo potentially run Aura Sphere over Focus Blast?
I did have it originally slashed in the set, but QC said that it's too weak to get anything done. It does OHKO Darkrai with Life Orb, but outside of that, Focus Blast > Aura Sphere.

I've been playing around with Psych Up Mewtwo recently, and it really breaks teams that use Geomancy Xerneas

ckw

Tired
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've been playing around with Psych Up Mewtwo recently, and it really breaks teams that use Geomancy Xerneas
Sounds like a gimmick, usually Ditto is carried in HO teams to punish such form of sweeps. Could get a mention in Other Options? Better listen to what QC has to say.

Fireflame

Silksong when
[URL='http://www.smogon.com/forums/members/capt-knightwalker.289489/' said:
Capt. KnightWalker[/URL]]Genesect has been banned from OU so, I think it deserves a few mentions now.
Yeah, I'll re-mention Genesect for the U-turn support line on the Team Options section.

Zrp200 said:
I will have to agree on Capt. KnightWalker that it sounds quite gimmicky. I think that Mega Salamence, Dragon Dance Rayquaza, or Z-Heal Block Palkia can get these stat boosts much more consistently than Mewtwo using Psych Up. There are also other checks to Geomancy Xerneas, like Mega Scizor and Aegislash. Dittos can also steal these buffs too. It does sound like it could maybe be put in other options, as the Psych Up seems like a niche option only Mewtwo can do to Xerneas. Hopefully QC will answer this question, I haven't used Psych Up Mewtwo.

ckw

Tired
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you really want a psych up user, look for something that can tank a hit from a +2 GeoXern attack. Or use Magearna.
The idea is to use Psych Up Mewtwo in Offensive teams where having momentum drainers like Magearna is not preferred for checking Xerneas, imo this set is somewhat unreliable as you have to keep away SR on their side of the field, something that most offensive teams struggle with. Thus having sth like Ditto which can outspeed as well as copy the stat boosts of the Pokemon it transforms to is appropriate for such builds. As for running Psych Up on something that can take a hit, Lunala might just be a better option, as its immune to Extreme Speed from Arceus and doesnt take much from Mega Lucario's Bullet Punch. It also gets Psyshock.

Last edited:
Um, just letting you know Mewtwo's HA is legal from the Gen 1 transfers. I'm assuming Unnerve is better than Pressure on a 'mon that barely takes hits that much.

Unless other QC disagree, I think you can just remove the second set and mention Calm Mind under Moves in the first set and slash Psychium Z as the item. Mewtwo will usually find a hard time sweeping, as it's hard pressed to setup versus offense due to being generally frail and vulnerable to priority, while bulkier teams typically just status it. Alolan Muk is also not uncommon, Mewtwo can't touch it even at +1 and gets Pursuit trapped in return. Calm Mind would probably be used for wallbreaking more than sweeping, since it doesn't get any notable KOs that I'm aware of at +1 and you're generally better off just hitting switchins with a coverage move—there are quite a few targets that you can 2HKO on the switch that aren't OHKOed by +1 Mewtwo.

* Mewtwo checks some of the new additions to the tier, such as Solgaleo, Celesteela, and Zygarde-C, when carrying specific moves.
The bolded portion can be reworded to "with its coverage options." "When carrying specific moves" is vague and can apply to most things. I could even run Fire Blast on CM Arceus-Ground to deal with Celesteela but that isn't a viable option.

Mention Magearna in targets for Fire Blast, it takes little from Mewtwo's other attacks and is able to steal its boosts. Shadow Ball only KOs Lunala if its Shadow Shield is down so specify that. Remove Deoxys-D as a target for Shadow Ball since it's irrelevant.

In Usage Tips, elaborate on how Mewtwo can be brought in safely, such as through a double switch or a pivot.

Under Team Options, Tapu Lele should be its own bullet. Mention what specifically Mewtwo can weaken for Mega Salamence and EKiller that aids a late-game sweep. I can't see Mewtwo being justified on a team with Toxapex so I'd remove that.

Protect and Substitute should be removed from OO as they come with a large opportunity cost and aren't worth a moveslot.

In C&C Ghost-types can be combined into one section.

However, Arceus-Ghost and Mega Gengar cannot directly switch into Mewtwo's attacks, as they risk being 2HKOed and OHKOed, respectively.
Here you say Arceus-Ghost risks being 2HKOed but earlier say it isn't 2HKOed by an unboosted attack, so fix this. (for the record Arceus-Ghost is 2HKOed by LO Psystrike and SD variants are also 2HKOed by unboosted Psystrike + Shattered Psyche.)

Remove the line about Giratina-O being able to switch into most of Mewtwo's attacks, it gets KOed by Ice Beam after taking a Psystrike or Ice Beam. Same situation with Giratina-A, Ice Beam has a decent chance to 2HKO it after lefties. Slowbro can be included with bulky Psychics, it probably doesn't deserve its own section since most teams with Mewtwo have ways to get around it. Scarf Genesect and Zekrom are mentioned in Faster Attackers but not more common scarfers such as Xerneas and Lunala so include those.

Clean this up and I'll see how it looks

Last edited:

Fireflame

Silksong when
Unless other QC disagree, I think you can just remove the second set and mention Calm Mind under Moves in the first set and slash Psychium Z as the item. Mewtwo will usually find a hard time sweeping, as it's hard pressed to setup versus offense due to being generally frail and vulnerable to priority, while bulkier teams typically just status it. Alolan Muk is also not uncommon, Mewtwo can't touch it even at +1 and gets Pursuit trapped in return. Calm Mind would probably be used for wallbreaking more than sweeping, since it doesn't get any notable KOs that I'm aware of at +1 and you're generally better off just hitting switchins with a coverage move—there are quite a few targets that you can 2HKO on the switch that aren't OHKOed by +1 Mewtwo.

The bolded portion can be reworded to "with its coverage options." "When carrying specific moves" is vague and can apply to most things. I could even run Fire Blast on CM Arceus-Ground to deal with Celesteela but that isn't a viable option.

Mention Magearna in targets for Fire Blast, it takes little from Mewtwo's other attacks and is able to steal its boosts. Shadow Ball only KOs Lunala if its Shadow Shield is down so specify that. Remove Deoxys-D as a target for Shadow Ball since it's irrelevant.

In Usage Tips, elaborate on how Mewtwo can be brought in safely, such as through a double switch or a pivot.

Under Team Options, Tapu Lele should be its own bullet. Mention what specifically Mewtwo can weaken for Mega Salamence and EKiller that aids a late-game sweep. I can't see Mewtwo being justified on a team with Toxapex so I'd remove that.

Protect and Substitute should be removed from OO as they come with a large opportunity cost and aren't worth a moveslot.

Here you say Arceus-Ghost risks being 2HKOed but earlier say it isn't 2HKOed by an unboosted attack, so fix this. (for the record Arceus-Ghost is 2HKOed by LO Psystrike and SD variants are also 2HKOed by unboosted Psystrike + Shattered Psyche.)

Remove the line about Giratina-O being able to switch into most of Mewtwo's attacks, it gets KOed by Ice Beam after taking a Psystrike or Ice Beam. Same situation with Giratina-A, Ice Beam has a decent chance to 2HKO it after lefties. Slowbro can be included with bulky Psychics, it probably doesn't deserve its own section since most teams with Mewtwo have ways to get around it. Scarf Genesect and Zekrom are mentioned in Faster Attackers but not more common scarfers such as Xerneas and Lunala so include those.

Clean this up and I'll see how it looks
I did most of these. I'm just going to reply to some of these, though:

Dominatio said:
Alolan Muk is also not uncommon, Mewtwo can't touch it even at +1 and gets Pursuit trapped in return.
If this is the case should I mention it in Team Options or Checks + Counters?

Dominatio said:
I don't know how I feel about this. This would make the section absurdly long, and offensive Ghost-types and defensive Ghost-types threaten Mewtwo in different ways. I find it more organized to put them into these two categories than to put them together; readers will still understand that Ghost-types are the main concern. It's gotten by 2 QC checks like that anyway.

Dominatio said:
Unless other QC disagree, I think you can just remove the second set and mention Calm Mind under Moves in the first set and slash Psychium Z as the item. Mewtwo will usually find a hard time sweeping, as it's hard pressed to setup versus offense due to being generally frail and vulnerable to priority, while bulkier teams typically just status it. Calm Mind would probably be used for wallbreaking more than sweeping, since it doesn't get any notable KOs that I'm aware of at +1 and you're generally better off just hitting switchins with a coverage move—there are quite a few targets that you can 2HKO on the switch that aren't OHKOed by +1 Mewtwo.
I strongly think that Calm Mind should be a separate set. They are played differently, as the Calm Mind set has to find opportunities to set up. Also, the Calm Mind set noticeably lacks a coverage move, meaning it needs to be played more carefully.

De-slashing Psychium Z with Life Orb has already been done in the first QC check. Mewtwo does SEVERELY reduced damage without Life Orb. Psychium Z is good on the Calm Mind set because a boosted attack or Shattered Psyche does a lot of damage. Regarding calcs, I would reference Nayrz's first QC check. A +1 Psyche OHKOes Arceus, and at +1, Mewtwo can 2HKO numerous defensive threats like Arceus-Water, Primal-Groudon, and defensive Primal Kyogre. Also just doing come general calcs, you can clearly see the power loss when running Psychium Z over Life Orb:
252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 207-243 (54.3 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 159-187 (41.7 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 184 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 207-243 (48.4 - 56.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 184 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 159-187 (37.2 - 43.7%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Giratina: 247-291 (49.1 - 57.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mewtwo Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Giratina: 190-224 (37.7 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kangaskhan-Mega: 385-455 (109.6 - 129.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mewtwo Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kangaskhan-Mega: 296-350 (84.3 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 248 HP / 248+ Def Kyogre-Primal: 187-222 (46.4 - 55%) -- 67.6% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 248 HP / 248+ Def Kyogre-Primal: 144-171 (35.7 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Lugia: 200-237 (48 - 56.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mewtwo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Lugia: 154-182 (37 - 43.7%) -- 43.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lunala: 489-577 (117.8 - 139%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mewtwo Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lunala: 376-444 (90.6 - 106.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Salamence-Mega: 192-227 (48.7 - 57.6%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Salamence-Mega: 148-175 (37.5 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Zygarde-Complete: 603-712 (94.8 - 111.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mewtwo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Zygarde-Complete: 464-548 (72.9 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Those are just some general calcs that clearly show the difference between Life Orb and Psychium Z on the 4 attacks set. A +1 attack from the Calm Mind set without Life Orb does a tad bit more damage than the Life Orb set:

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Zygarde-Complete: 603-712 (94.8 - 111.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+1 252 SpA Mewtwo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Zygarde-Complete: 696-820 (109.4 - 128.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kangaskhan-Mega: 385-455 (109.6 - 129.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Mewtwo Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kangaskhan-Mega: 444-524 (126.4 - 149.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Substituting the 252 SpA Life Orb calcs with +1 252 calcs, you can see that there are a number of OHKOes at +1 without a Life Orb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)