Other Metagames Mix and Mega Tapu Koko Team

My team basically revolves around Tapu Koko. I can usually just sweep through teams after one calm mind. I haven't used Zapdos because I find a lot of rock types and also because TK can get past Garchomp easier. Any suggestions? I'm kinda new to Mix and Mega.

Zap! (Tapu Koko) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Roost
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam

Basically my MVP, I use as lead. Electric is a really good type, and as I said, Fairy can getpast Garchomp, which I see a lot. (Not sure if it's actually popular or if it's just me.) When I used Zapdos, I kept having to switch out on Garchomp and it was VERY annoying.

Ringer (Scolipede) @ Mewtwonite X
Ability: Speed Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake

Protect for speed boost then mega evolve. If they are going to switch (or are setting up) I get a swords dance in there. There's really not much to say about this one. I can use this late game assuming that Tapu Koko doesnt sweep through the entire team, which it does often (about 1 in 4 times).

HI M9 (Archeops) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Stone Edge

Nothing really interesting here. Just wanted to have priority on my team. I figured that Archeops's ability is what limits it, so why not change it? This is problably the worst member of my team (least used).

Cresselia (F) @ Sablenite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Psychic

Bulky beast, I use it if Tapu Koko gets KOed early game. I mean seriously, 120/-/160/-/170/- defenses? That can balance out the ungodly offensive powers in this meta. Good for stall (against special attackers).

YAAAA (Gyarados) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage

Nothing really interesting here. Intimidate, then mega evolve and get a good typing that it SHOULD have gotten with normal Mega Gyrados, but nooooo, GameFreak is evil.

Genesect @ Pinsirite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Techno Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

This is my misc spot, if I see a good strategy I swap out whatever's here. This one's worked okay for a pretty long time (comparatively) so I put it here.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Last edited:

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Hey there! This is a fairly interesting team! I particularly like the concept of Scolipede as it can be a pretty effective late game cleaner. I'm here to propose a few set changes that I believe will optimize your current team, as well as one Pokemon change. Note: I worked on this rate with my friend VoltDarkrai and he helped me test the new version of the team as well.

First of all, Tapu Koko doesn't often get the chance to set up Calm Mind, nor is it bulky enough to utilize Roost to its full potential. Therefore I recommend changing Calm Mind and Roost-->Volt Switch and Nature's Madness. Volt Switch allows Tapu Koko to pivot out of Pokemon that it can't defeat, such as Blissey, while still doing some chip damage and retains momentum very well, while Nature's Madness is an effective lure for Primal Groudon, as PDon loves to switch in on Tapu Koko and can be a threat to this team.

Next, the Scolipede that intrigued me so much. I believe the set you have is fairly good, however I think you're missing out on the powerful Fighting STAB Superpower offers, as Mewtwonite X gives a secondary type of Fighting. As well, 180 base attack is a lot, and enough for Scolipede to be a serviceable cleaner late game, so I recommend changing Swords Dance-->Superpower. When I was using this team I also changed X-Scissor to Megahorn for the power, but it's up to you whether you prefer power or accuracy (for no SD I highly recommend Megahorn though).

For Archeops, I feel like it is best used as an offensive rocker, as you currently lack hazards of any kind on the team and Stealth Rock helps Tapu Koko nab KOs. Archeops also learns U-Turn, allowing it to form a very good VoltTurn core alongside Tapu Koko. Thus I recommend changing Stone Edge and Earthquake-->Stealth Rock and U-Turn.

Cresselia is very bulky and a good Pokemon, however it doesn't synergize well with this particular team. This team is offense, and Cresselia belongs on balance or stall. You also lack a reliable -ate switchin and don't have any form of hazard removal (which is bad considering there are four mons on the team weak to Stealth Rock after mega evolving), so I recommend changing Cresselia-->Arceus-Rock. This solves both of the above problems, and Rockceus can also threaten Zapdos, which walls Scolipede, Gyarados, and Genesect. The set I suggest is Judgment, Will-O-Wisp, Recover, and Defog (see below for new version of team featuring this set).

On Gyarados, Outrage is somewhat suboptimal, as it is annoying that using your most powerful STAB attack leaves you susceptible to, or worse setup bait for, Fairy-types such as Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, and Xerneas. This is why I recommend changing the stone to Salamencite, as Flying spam is a very good tactic and DD Gyarados is a very strong mon. The set changes here are Charizardite X, Outrage, and Crunch-->Salamencite, Frustration, and Earthquake. I also changed Crunch to Earthquake as EQ provides better coverage overall, hitting Steel-types and Electric-types (which both resist Aerilate Frustration) for super effective damage.

Finally, Pinsirite Genesect is a fantastic Pokemon on this team, however it is better served as a revenge killer, using its powerful Extreme Speed. It also adds to the whole VoltTurn + Flying spam premise of this team that puts so much pressure on opposing teams, so I recommend a set of Extreme Speed, U-Turn, Techno Blast, and Explosion. You may be wondering why Explosion is there, but it is actually fantastic as it allows Genesect to deal a huge chunk of damage to bulky foes and pave the way for one of Gyarados or Scolipede to clean up later.

Tapu Koko @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Nature's Madness

Scolipede @ Mewtwonite X
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Superpower

Archeops @ Pinsirite
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Quick Attack
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Recover

Gyarados @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Frustration
- Earthquake

Genesect @ Pinsirite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Techno Blast
- Extreme Speed
- Explosion
- U-turn

This variant of the team went 15-0 on the ladder (got me to spot #57 before I stopped) and has done very well in other test matches as well. Here are some replays of the team in action:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7mixandmegasuspecttest-565303837 me on ladder
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7mixandmega-565290240 volt in a challenge match
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7mixandmega-565288772 volt in another challenge match (same opponent, different team)

Hope you enjoy this variation of the team (and feel free to nickname them however you want haha), and once again props on using Scolipede, it's a very interesting Pokemon!

Thank you! This is amazing. I'm not sure about the Gyarados stone switch since water/dragon is better typing than water/flying. Definitely gonna get rid of Outrage though, thanks for that. I also like return instead of frustration because making your pokemon hate you just seems wrong. Also, nice profile pic, I love xkcd comics!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)