Other Metagames [MnM] Genesis

Genesis

Teambuilding
First off, I started with a Fairy-spam core, utilizing Choice Specs Xerneas, Cameruptite Magearna and Altarianite Entei. The idea of this was to make an offensive team that utilized Xerneas and Magearna as an offensive core to attempt to force itself through the likes of Primal Groudon. Entei also assisted with this job, so it was included in the initial core.

I needed an offensive answer to Primal Groudon, so I decided to pick Giratina-Origin for this role. Giratina-Origin particularly helps out because of its ability to threaten defensive cores whilst still being able to provide anti-hazard support. The problem with this is that it doesn't have reliable recovery, so to help Giratina-Origin out, I decided to add in Arceus-Ground. Calm Mind Arceus-Ground particularly synergizes well as it gives me a way to force through Confide Blissey cores, specifically those which opt to not carry Toxic. CM Arceus-Ground also gave me a secondary wincon against Fire-types and a moderately safe switchin to Entei.​

With all of those changes, I had to add in a Stealth Rock setter. No better time than now to add Primal Groudon and yet further improve the Magearna matchup as well as follow up with a proper Water resistance. Swords Dance + Stealth Rock Primal Groudon helps in particular as it gives me another strong wallbreaker to puncture balance teams with.

Despite all of this, I noticed that the Fairy-spam core wasn't working. However, I noticed the synergy that Primal Kyogre had with the rest of the team, and added it in over Choice Specs Xerneas. Primal Kyogre particularly helps out as a breaker as not only does it give me a third Calm Mind user to really force myself through stall cores, it also helps out particularly with matchups from opposing Ground-types, particularly other Calm Mind Arceus-Ground. In similar ways, the way Magearna lures in most Red Orb users is something Primal Kyogre can use to force a serious hit on the opposing team. This supportive backbone therefore allows Primal Kyogre to become the most lethal threat on this team.
The team was then re-arranged for complete aesthetics - the team is in chronological order as to what the team members represent in the Pokemon universe.

Analysis

earth unveiled (Arceus-Ground) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Synergies: Primal Kyogre, Magearna

Calm Mind Arceus-Ground was one threat I decided absolutely needed to be on this team due to how prominent Entei and Zygarde are. This set is CM as it is honestly a lot more reliable as such when compared to other potential defoggers on this team, which as was decided, Giratina-Origin ended up being the better choice. Calm Mind Arceus-Ground plays a bit more of a passive role earlier on - use it to deal with potentially threatening Pokemon such as Landorus-Therian, but do not be afraid to make potential doubles, especially if the opponent has a Ho-oh. Note that, with the extra support that the team has, it's also possible to use Arceus-Ground a bit recklessly as it acts like more of a glue on this team compared to the other members of the team. Other potential options for this set include replacing Calm Mind with Stone Edge, which lures Ho-oh fairly well, but makes Arceus-Ground pathetically passive otherwise.

the dark ages (Giratina-Origin) @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 240 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Synergies: Primal Groudon, Magearna

Giratina-Origin is a particularly interesting Pokemon, and is exceptionally useful for bulky offense builds, due to its ability to handle Primal Groudon aptly. Defensive Primal Groudon can cause issues versus it, but the simple notion of chipping it works out excellently as it will more often than not let Magearna set up freely. Depending on the matchup, you should either preserve this Pokemon or Primal Groudon - in most cases preserving this Pokemon will work out, as it is able to handle more uncommon breakers such as Keldeo and Victini, preventing them from outright pressuring a hole through Primal Groudon. Playing with this Pokemon is rather simple, just make sure that you have the priority on hazards, as wallbreakers such as Ho-oh can jump on Giratina-Origin quite easily if it is attempting to Defog. The speed creep may seem a bit odd, but it helps with -1 Victini (drop from V-create!). Other options for this Pokemon include dropping Will-o-wisp for Shadow Ball and Shadow Sneak in an attempt to make the Lunala matchup better, but often times crippling something to Hex it for heavy damage is better.

hydration (Kyogre-Primal) @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 76 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Water Spout
- Calm Mind

Synergies: Magearna, Entei

Primal Kyogre is a ridiculous wallbreaker as of now, due to the Dragon-type metagame dying down from when Victini was common. It is exceptionally hard to properly answer a Primal Kyogre without the usage of Desolate Land, and Magearna makes it so that most Red Orb users are effectively forced into this conundrum where they must answer a Primal Kyogre without utilizing Desolate Land. This makes it so that a Magearna + Primal Kyogre core (especially CM Spout variants) effectively break stall bar none. Primal Kyogre should be used offensively to attempt to catch out certain Fire and Ground types trying to switch into Magearna, such as Primal Groudon, Arceus-Ground, and Ho-oh. The combination of these two can really force a game to speed up - part of the reason this team works so well, especially considering both of them can force chip on targets that are effectively meant to check them.

roaring life (Entei) @ Altarianite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Synergies: Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre

Entei is pretty much standard here. Toxic helps a lot with the CM Arceus-Fairy and Altarianite Zygarde matchups as well as wearing down the likes of Primal Groudon. It is also the only revenge killer of this team, part of the reason why this team is somewhat dependent on offensive play as not much of the team is fast. Entei should mainly be used as a tank when the health of other Pokemon must be preserved, particularly on the matchups where a Primal Kyogre is present.

artifact (Magearna) @ Cameruptite
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt / Flash Cannon
- Calm Mind
- Pain Split

Synergies: Primal Kyogre, Giratina-Origin, Arceus-Ground

Cameruptite Magearna is one of the few Pokemon which I believe can even become close to broken in Mix and Mega, simply because its presence requires an entirely different playstyle to try to deal with it. Its gain in momentum is extremely exploitable by this team as its lack of proper checks often leads for teams to have an obvious switchin which Primal Kyogre is able to exploit extremely well. Magearna also compresses a ton of targets into one: it answers the likes of Pinsirite Steels extremely well, acts as a solid Fairy check, and is able to handle Tapu Lele very well, as well as offensively check a bunch of Dark types (see: Yveltal) that can be handled better in tandem with Entei. Thunderbolt is the main option here since you just forfeit Pinsirite Magearna matchups and bait in Ho-oh otherwise, however Flash Cannon is definitely an option to make the CM Arc MU a lot easier.

supernova (Groudon-Primal) @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 144 HP / 44 Atk / 164 SpD / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Smack Down
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Synergies: Primal Kyogre, Giratina-Origin

Primal Groudon is something I feel is near enough necessary on offensive teams just due to how many roles it compresses into one. This variant is honestly quite easy to answer but the defensive utility is what should mainly be highlighted here. Primal Groudon is able to take on the likes of Magearna and Primal Kyogre quite easily and set up Stealth Rock in their presence. The only problem with this is that it leads the team to be possibly exploited by Arceus-Ground, however the synergy Primal Groudon has with Primal Kyogre helps that significantly.

Replays
none here lel.​
Threatlist

Ho-oh

Ho-oh proves to be a significantly powerful threat to this team, taking near enough no damage from some targets and being able to 2HKO everything on the field. The best way of dealing with this is to offensively check it and make sure it can never come in easily, and pressuring Defoggers with the combination of the Dual Primal core is probably how I would solve this issue.

Lunala
Lunala is a monstrous threat to the team. To take care of it, you first need to break Shadow Shield (which some variants have Roost to negate that), burn a +1 Z-move and then revenge kill with Magearna. Never a great matchup, but it is possible to make sure that Lunala can never set up.

Lucarionite Kartana
Once it gets a free switchin, Lucarionite Kartana is able to 2HKO the entire team with Smart Strike or Leaf Blade, with the exception of a roll on GIratina-Origin and Magearna. Luckily, Lucarionite Kartana gets very little setup opportunity as every single member as a way of OHKOing Kartana except Primal Groudon, which Kartana cannot beat 1v1.

Importable
earth unveiled (Arceus-Ground) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Recover

the dark ages (Giratina-Origin) @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 240 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

hydration (Kyogre-Primal) @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 76 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Water Spout
- Calm Mind

roaring life (Entei) @ Altarianite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

artifact (Magearna) @ Cameruptite
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Pain Split

supernova (Groudon-Primal) @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 144 HP / 44 Atk / 164 SpD / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Smack Down
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:
Neat team. I don’t have time for a full rate atm, but one suggestion I would advise trying out is toxic > wisp on giratina. It helps hand both Ho-Oh and Cm Groundceus, both of which give this team some severe issues, and let’s you hurt the likes of fairyceus and entei on the switch since they can get annoying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)