Monotype Mountaineers: An Offensive Rock Team

Hi, I'm smub. This Rock team has quickly become one of my favorites, and I thought I'd share it with all of you. Mega Diancie has definitely made Rock much more of a threat, especially when paired with great offensive support from Terrakion, Shuckle, and Tyranitar. But enough about introductions, let's dive into the Teambuilding Process!

I started with Mega Diancie, the greatest Pokemon on Rock. It's just a really fast and strong special attacker that can also bounce back hazards and status with Magic Bounce. I went with a Calm Mind set to further increase its wallbreaking potential.

After that I put Shuckle on the team with its access to Stealth Rock+Sticky Web and generally being an awesome utility Pokemon.

As with my previous Rock RMT, I went with Scarf Terrakion+Band Tyranitar as an amazing offensive core alongside Mega Diancie. Scarf Terrakion does a nice job of beating Scarfers like Hydreigon and Kyurem-Black that can threaten Mega Diancie, and Band Tyranitar does a great job breaking through balance teams like Psychic and Poison.

Every Rock team needs a Mega Scizor check, and for this team, I went with Alolan Golem over Rhyperior thanks to being able to further improve the Steel matchup, as well as the Fairy and Grass matchups thanks to Magnet Pull.

For the final Pokemon, I went with Cradily, who offered a nice Water immunity as well as a good switch-in against Scarfers like Landorus-Therian and Garchomp. It can also surprise special attackers with Mirror Coat if needed.

Now let's take a look at the Mountaineers!

Golem-Alola @ Firium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 128 Atk / 136 SpA / 244 Spe
Naughty Nature
Wild Charge

Earthquake

Fire Blast

Brick Break

Alolan Golem fills the essential role as the team's primary Mega Scizor check. As such, the 136 EVs in Special Attack allow it to guarantee the OHKO with Inferno Overdrive against defensive variants after Stealth Rock, and 244 Speed allows it to outspeed uninvested sets before they can U-turn. It also does a nice job of trapping and removing Ferrothorn in the Grass matchup, as well as Klefki in the Fairy matchup. In fact, Brick Break is used specifically to make sure that Klefki doesn't keep up screens when it goes down. Outside of that, Wild Charge is its best Electric STAB move, Earthquake is solid coverage, and Fire Blast is for hitting Mega Scizor as well as other targets like Ferrothorn.

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Def / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Giga Drain

Toxic

Recover

Mirror Coat

Cradily fills the role as the Water immunity, Ground and Grass switch-in, and the best check the team has for opposing Mega Diancies. The 48 Speed is used to outspeed max Speed Azumarill after Sticky Web in order to KO it after it uses Belly Drum. Giga Drain is its best Grass STAB move, Toxic is nice for wearing down opposing walls, Recover is essential for sustain, and Mirror Coat is used to catch special attackers like the aforementioned Mega Diancie by surprise.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
Stealth Rock

Sticky Web

Knock Off

Encore

Shuckle serves the role as the team's hazard setter with both Stealth Rock and Sticky Web. It also offers important utility in Knock Off and Encore, with Knock Off being able to remove Chansey and Porygon2's Eviolites, as well as Choice Scarves from threats like Greninja and Landorus-Therian, and Encore being able to cripple setup sweepers and hazard setters. Additionally, it has extremely helpful neutralities to Grass, Fighting, and Ground, letting it absorb many hits before going down. The Mental Herb allows it to guarantee hazards against hyper offensive types like Fighting and Psychic.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Stone Edge

Close Combat

Earthquake

Poison Jab

Terrakion fills the role as the team's best revenge killer, being able to check Scarfers like Tapu Bulu, Hydreigon, Excadrill, and fast Pokemon in general like Tapu Koko and Mega Lopunny. With Sticky Web support, it's also able to outspeed weather sweepers like Excadrill and Kingdra, which are huge threats to any Rock team. Stone Edge and Close Combat are the basic STAB moves, Earthquake is important for hitting Tapu Koko and Nidoking, and Poison Jab is for hitting Tapu Bulu. However, Iron Head can be ran over it if you want to hit Mega Diancie.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
Stone Edge

Crunch

Fire Punch

Earthquake

Tyranitar is the team's physical wallbreaker, used to tear through balance builds like Poison and Psychic. It also has Sand Stream to give everyone on the team a Special Defense increase. 244 Speed is used to outspeed Banded Victini after Sticky Web, as well as other base 100's like Mew and Volcarona. Stone Edge and Crunch are its best STAB moves, Fire Punch is great coverage for nailing Ferrothorn and Forretress, and Earthquake allows it to hit Toxapex and Tapu Koko.

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Power Gem

Moonblast

Earth Power

Calm Mind

Welp, I saved the best for last. Mega Diancie is the team's special sweeper/wallbreaker that is capable of completely running through types like Fighting, Dark, and Dragon. While 4 attacks is a more popular set for Mega Diancie, I decided to go with a Calm Mind set, allowing it to put in even more work against Water, Poison, Fairy, and Grass. Power Gem and Moonblast are the STAB moves of choice, and Earth Power is great coverage for hitting Heatran, Nidoking, and Toxapex. Hidden Power Fire is an alternate option for hitting Ferrothorn, but Alolan Golem already traps and removes it.

Here are some replays:

So that was Mountaineers: The Offensive Rock Team! I really hope you enjoyed it, and if you want to use it yourself, here it is:

Golem-Alola @ Firium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 128 Atk / 136 SpA / 244 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Brick Break

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Def / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Toxic
- Recover
- Mirror Coat

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Knock Off
- Encore

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Calm Mind

Shoutout to Moosical for the banner :)​

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello smub, this is really solid team, but after looking at the replays and actually using the team a couple times I've found a couple minor tweaks that can be made to improve the team.
Rate
  • Honestly Earthquake Tyranitar is really sub optimal on Choice Band Tyranitar as it really doesn't net any important KOs or 2HKOs that Stone Edge or Crunch doesn't already get. For example Tapu Koko is OHKOed by Stone Edge and Toxapex has a decent chance of being 2HKOed by Stone Edge. Having guaranteed 2HKO on Toxapex is nice, but Earthquake in general can make Tyranitar set up bait which completely defeats the purpose of Choice Band Tyranitar. Not beinng able 2HKO one or two threats is not worth being set up bait for a plethora of threats such as Crobat and Mega Venusaur. Pursuit > Earthquake one of biggest threats to this team by looking at the replays is a well played Latios and Pursuit Tyrantiar can simply trap and KO it. The only real "threat" that Tyrantiar can hit is Alolan Golem which is dealt with by physically defensive Cradily this is because due to Alolan Golem's low Special Defense and lack of coverage to hit Cradily. Pursuit also in general is really handy as Choice Band Tyranitar generally forces a lot of switches and Pursuit allows Tyranitar to punish said switches. Proposed Change(s): Pursuit > Earthquake
  • One thing I noticed from watching the replays is that Power Gem is almost never used as Moonblast's higher base power is usually the better choice in 95% of the situations. Diamond Storm > Power Gem Diamond Storm allows Mega Diancie to utilize its base 160 Attack while also having a 50% chance to boost Mega Diancie's Defense by 2 stages making it a bit easier to set up Calm Mind especially in Sand. Diamond Storm has higher base power than Power Gem allowing Mega Diancie to actually have a good chance to OHKO Substitute + Toxic Zapdos. If the change is made the 4 EVs that are put into Special Defense should be invested into Attack and Timid nature should be changed to a Naive nature. Proposed Change(s): Diamond Storm > Power Gem / EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe > EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe / Naive nature > Timid nature
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Koko: 313-370 (111.3 - 131.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 196-232 (64.4 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 147-174 (48.3 - 57.2%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
4 Atk Diancie-Mega Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 372-440 (96.8 - 114.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Diancie-Mega Power Gem vs. 252 HP / 136 SpD Zapdos: 288-342 (75 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Diancie-Mega Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 240 Def Mantine: 326-386 (87.1 - 103.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Diancie-Mega Power Gem vs. 252 HP / 16+ SpD Mantine: 204-242 (54.5 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Hope I helped and good luck with the team!
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Pursuit

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Calm Mind

Hello smub, this is really solid team, but after looking at the replays and actually using the team a couple times I've found a couple minor tweaks that can be made to improve the team.
Rate
  • Honestly Earthquake Tyranitar is really sub optimal on Choice Band Tyranitar as it really doesn't net any important KOs or 2HKOs that Stone Edge or Crunch doesn't already get. For example Tapu Koko is OHKOed by Stone Edge and Toxapex has a decent chance of being 2HKOed by Stone Edge. Having guaranteed 2HKO on Toxapex is nice, but Earthquake in general can make Tyranitar set up bait which completely defeats the purpose of Choice Band Tyranitar. Not beinng able 2HKO one or two threats is not worth being set up bait for a plethora of threats such as Crobat and Mega Venusaur. Pursuit > Earthquake one of biggest threats to this team by looking at the replays is a well played Latios and Pursuit Tyrantiar can simply trap and KO it. The only real "threat" that Tyrantiar can hit is Alolan Golem which is dealt with by physically defensive Cradily this is because due to Alolan Golem's low Special Defense and lack of coverage to hit Cradily. Pursuit also in general is really handy as Choice Band Tyranitar generally forces a lot of switches and Pursuit allows Tyranitar to punish said switches. Proposed Change(s): Pursuit > Earthquake
  • One thing I noticed from watching the replays is that Power Gem is almost never used as Moonblast's higher base power is usually the better choice in 95% of the situations. Diamond Storm > Power Gem Diamond Storm allows Mega Diancie to utilize its base 160 Attack while also having a 50% chance to boost Mega Diancie's Defense by 2 stages making it a bit easier to set up Calm Mind especially in Sand. Diamond Storm has higher base power than Power Gem allowing Mega Diancie to actually have a good chance to OHKO Substitute + Toxic Zapdos. If the change is made the 4 EVs that are put into Special Defense should be invested into Attack and Timid nature should be changed to a Naive nature. Proposed Change(s): Diamond Storm > Power Gem / EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe > EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe / Naive nature > Timid nature
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Koko: 313-370 (111.3 - 131.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 196-232 (64.4 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 147-174 (48.3 - 57.2%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
4 Atk Diancie-Mega Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 372-440 (96.8 - 114.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Diancie-Mega Power Gem vs. 252 HP / 136 SpD Zapdos: 288-342 (75 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Diancie-Mega Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 240 Def Mantine: 326-386 (87.1 - 103.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Diancie-Mega Power Gem vs. 252 HP / 16+ SpD Mantine: 204-242 (54.5 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Hope I helped and good luck with the team!
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Pursuit

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Calm Mind
Thanks very much for the rate! I definitely agree with Tyranitar having Pursuit. I simply chose Earthquake thanks to it seeming like nice coverage to have. As for Mega Diancie, it is one of my main hitters against Mega Venusaur, so being able to 2HKO it with +1 Power Gem is always nice to have. But I'll definitely try it out, thanks again for the rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)