SM Doubles OU my first ever trick room team

this is my first trick room team so improvement is welcome in all areas.

Cresselia @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 228 SpA / 16 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
cresselia is a classic trick room mon on showdown so i choose it cause it must be good to be classic. it is never OHKO'd by a super effective move in my experience, the berry is for spore back-up and also last i checked there was no sleep clause so that worries me more than a taunt, the EV and moves are from the smogon ORAS recommendations expect shadow ball this is because hidden power felt too weak.

Scrafty @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Atk / 44 Def
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Rock Slide
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
scrafty job and reason for choice was to help cresselia use trick room. first off cresselia weakness are covered by him and intimidate help soften first blows. was originally the smogon recommend i felt a lack of umph so i replaced a berry with life orb and quick guard with rock slide for bug coverage

Buzzwole @ Expert Belt
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Roost
- Hammer Arm
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
Buzzwole was included because I felt like using it the moveset is form a smogon thread for him along with EV’s though changed for trick room. Roost kinda helps as he is relatively bulky, Hammer Arm for stabs and beast boost power up and in trick room the speed loss is good, ice punch and earth quake for coverage and killing moves.

Wishiwashi-School @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Electric]
the sole reason i made a trick room is because i wanted to use wishiwashi. he has now kinda taken the very backseat though as vikavolt and buzzwole are very good sweepers. the specifics are from a competitive discussion forum for it with one move i didn't like replaced with protect.

Vikavolt @ Electrium Z
Quiet Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Thunderbolt
- Air Slash
- Roost
I choose it because I wanted to use gen 7 pokemon but also it fit perfectly in a trick room team bulkish slow and strong. It really is jut a pokemon that deals massive damge and usually faints a few pokemon before it faints. the EV's and nature were really just ones i found in the dicussion forums for it but modified for better trick room play, the moves don't have anything crazy just the better moves it has. the z-move is for when i'm scared of a threat and want to nuke it unless it resist lighting.

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
Landorus i choose because i felt like I needed a strong pokemon in case trick room ends and i can't set up new one. usually though i send it in at the end when trick room goes away and they are weak. this set is one i used in a ORAS tailwind team served me well, with it's strong spread moves nifty coverage superpower and a u turn to switch out after superpower and deal damage, though i lowered the speed since landorus main function is to clean up it works.

My team obviously is weak to fairy also I’m very open to swapping out wishi washi as it pulls no weight usually and scrafty though i haven't found a pokemon that fills it's role better

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Hey man, first of all nice effort making this team for the first time, you do seem to have an idea of where to start and all.
That said, there are some glaring issues with this team, but don't worry I've got you. I'll go by each mon analysing them.

1) Cress was an excellent pokemon back in ORAS, don't get me wrong, but in gen 7 this bulky TR mon's role is filled better by nekrozma by it's superior ability prism armor which reduced the supereffective hits by 25%. You can also use bronzong with psycium z to TR, which in turn gives 1.33 accuracy to help you spam hypnosis :D.

2) Now scrafty suffers from the same syndrome as cress, it was great last gen but due to prevalence of tapu lele on every other team it just pales this generation due to not being able to reliably fake out or properly deal damage either to the fairies. So, since you have your mega slot open we can use Mega-Kang which still provides fake out against non psychic terrain teams as well as threatening shit with a powerful double-edge.

3) I personally am a big fan of buzzwole but problem is it leaves you walled against aegislash and to some extent celesteela. So, the change is upto you as I feel bad for changing too many of your mons but if you want you can use torkoal which gets eruption/fire blast and brings sun which could be helpful against rain teams, though it shouldn't switch into special attacks. If you want to keep buzzwole, you can replace mega-kang with AV inceneroar, which pretty much does the same things and performs well against psychic spam teams

4) As you yourself remarked, wishwashi just looks good on the surface so I'd recommend tapu bulu, it hits insanely hard and provides excellent recovery and most importantly provides your own terrain.

5) Since you only have 1 TR setter, one last thing I'll recommend is replacing either of vikavolt or lando-t for hoopa unbound, it mainly depends on your needs if you want another hitter you can opt for vikavolt, whereas if you want intimidate support(p imp) you can opt for lando-t. Just one last thing is if you go for lando-t opt for special set as earthquake is severely weakened by grassy terrain.

I edit the post with some sets later on

-->
-->

The metagame definitely gone more "speedy" based and more offensive than ever, so it is best that you try out Necrozma rather than Cresselia. It is less bulky, but it doesn't need to set up as much as Cresselia to be an offensive threat. It is also an easier win con than Cresselia, too. Nevertheless, Wishiwashi by all means is an excellent Pokemon to use in Trick Room (lol). I just recommend that you use its spread move, Muddy Water, and Life Orb to ensure a greater damage output. However, the problem with Necrozma and Wishiwashi is that it can easily be walled by Steel types such as Aegislash, Ferrothorn, and Celesteela. Normally, Fire-types would be used to take care of such threats, and I really like the idea of using Marowak-Alola here, mainly due to its ability, Lightning Rod, which helps Wishiwashi avoid Electric type moves. It's Ghost-typing is also quite nice for taking out Tapu Lele and dealing large amounts of damage to Necrozma. I just don't recommend using an Electric-type in your team because it'll be quite annoying if your own Pokemon redirects the attack intended for opposing Pokemon.

-->
-->

Well, now that we strengthened your team a bit, we must ensure that your team can set up Trick Room when it wants too. I noticed that you don't have a Mega, so Mega Kangaskhan is a perfect fit for this team. Despite it's nerfs (in Sun and Moon), it is still a threat to be reckoned with. It's Fake Out is definitely useful and it's Seismic Toss usually 2HKO's most mons regardless of their typing or defensive stats. (If you don't like Seismic Toss, you can always use Double Edge.) Furthermore, it has Hammer Arm to take down pivots such as Heatran or rising Pokemon such as Tyrantiar, and it's all while it's lowering its own Speed (which is good for TR). However, you will not be able to use Fake Out on grounded Pokemon if Psychic Terrain is active. In that case, you would want your own Terrain setter to activates its own Terrain ahead of time. I recommend that you use Tapu Bulu because it is the slowest Terrain setter and also deals an enormous amount of damage. It's terrain's effect of recovering some HP for your bulky Pokemon and reducing the power of physical Ground-type moves by half is quite nice, too. In short, you can say that Mega Kangaskhan + Tapu Bulu does a lot more than Scrafty and Buzzhole does.

-->

For a dedicated Trick Room, your team still needs another Trick Room setter. In this case, I recommend that you use Diancie to improve your Mega Salamence matchup. The only problem that you may encounter is against Muk-Alola, which I recommend that you play carefully against. In fact, I don't think giving Soak to Wishiwashi is that bad of idea since Tapu Bulu can easily KO the target (Muk-Alola or any Pokemon in general) afterwards. Well, I ended up making a team very similar to Yellow Paint's, whom I'm sure can give you a better advise, and gave you a similar recommendation as DarkSylveon's. And I'm quite sorry that most of your Pokemon have been switched out. However, they were either outclassed or situationally worse in the team. Nevertheless, I hope I helped out. I have provided an importable for you down below. HF!

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- Seismic Toss
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch

Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
Brave Nature
- Superpower
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Necrozma @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Prism Armor
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Morning Sun

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Brave Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Protect

Wishiwashi-School @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Muddy Water
- Ice Beam
- Soak
- Protect

Diancie @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Atk / 48 SpA
Brave Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Trick Room
- Protect

Last edited:
Your assumption is based on the Singles Ban list, not the Doubles ban list. Mega Salamence, Mega kang, Aegislash, and many others are legal in Doubles OU

ok thank you
i also think i might replace marowak with vikavolt and go with test bots that marowawk is frail 1 knock of from my scrafty KOs it 100% in my experience and scrafty tend not to OHKO for me. good idea? (used teambuilder from team magma less weaknesses this way)

The main reason that marowak was placed there was due to its ability and neat coverage. Replacing it means that you'll have to rearrange your team to have stronger stance against Psychic-types and Steel-typea altogether. Bulu acts as a neat check to water types and you really don't need electric STAB as most relevant Flying-types has a secondary typing that nullifies its super effectiveness. If you want to replace marowak, then heatran is also a good pick.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
-->
-->

The metagame definitely gone more "speedy" based and more offensive than ever, so it is best that you try out Necrozma rather than Cresselia. It is less bulky, but it doesn't need to set up as much as Cresselia to be an offensive threat. It is also an easier win con than Cresselia, too. Nevertheless, Wishiwashi by all means is an excellent Pokemon to use in Trick Room (lol). I just recommend that you use its spread move, Muddy Water, and Life Orb to ensure a greater damage output. However, the problem with Necrozma and Wishiwashi is that it can easily be walled by Steel types such as Aegislash, Ferrothorn, and Celesteela. Normally, Fire-types would be used to take care of such threats, and I really like the idea of using Marowak-Alola here, mainly due to its ability, Lightning Rod, which helps Wishiwashi avoid Electric type moves. It's Ghost-typing is also quite nice for taking out Tapu Lele and dealing large amounts of damage to Necrozma. I just don't recommend using an Electric-type in your team because it'll be quite annoying if your own Pokemon redirects the attack intended for opposing Pokemon.

-->
-->

Well, now that we strengthened your team a bit, we must ensure that your team can set up Trick Room when it wants too. I noticed that you don't have a Mega, so Mega Kangaskhan is a perfect fit for this team. Despite it's nerfs (in Sun and Moon), it is still a threat to be reckoned with. It's Fake Out is definitely useful and it's Seismic Toss usually 2HKO's most mons regardless of their typing or defensive stats. (If you don't like Seismic Toss, you can always use Double Edge.) Furthermore, it has Hammer Arm to take down pivots such as Heatran or rising Pokemon such as Tyrantiar, and it's all while it's lowering its own Speed (which is good for TR). However, you will not be able to use Fake Out on grounded Pokemon if Psychic Terrain is active. In that case, you would want your own Terrain setter to activates its own Terrain ahead of time. I recommend that you use Tapu Bulu because it is the slowest Terrain setter and also deals an enormous amount of damage. It's terrain's effect of recovering some HP for your bulky Pokemon and reducing the power of physical Ground-type moves by half is quite nice, too. In short, you can say that Mega Kangaskhan + Tapu Bulu does a lot more than Scrafty and Buzzhole does.

-->

For a dedicated Trick Room, your team still needs another Trick Room setter. In this case, I recommend that you use Diancie to improve your Mega Salamence matchup. The only problem that you may encounter is against Muk-Alola, which I recommend that you play carefully against. In fact, I don't think giving Soak to Wishiwashi is that bad of idea since Tapu Bulu can easily KO the target (Muk-Alola or any Pokemon in general) afterwards. Well, I ended up making a team very similar to Yellow Paint's, whom I'm sure can give you a better advise, and gave you a similar recommendation as DarkSylveon's. And I'm quite sorry that most of your Pokemon have been switched out. However, they were either outclassed or situationally worse in the team. Nevertheless, I hope I helped out. I have provided an importable for you down below. HF!

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Seismic Toss
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch

Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
Brave Nature
- Superpower
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Necrozma @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Prism Armor
Shiny: Yes
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Morning Sun

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Brave Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Protect

Wishiwashi-School @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Muddy Water
- Ice Beam
- Soak
- Protect

Diancie @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Trick Room
- Protect
Hey test bot, I'm not here to roast on your rate or anything but I see that you've been rating a lot recently so I thought I'd offer you some constructive criticism from a former team rater (I lost my badge to activity lol). But first off, as a general rule of thumb, if you have to change more than 3 mons on the team, then don't bother rating it. You changed 5 of his 6 mons, at this point it's not even his team anymore, it's yours. The point of RMT is to improve on the team, not change it up completely. Secondly, as another general rule of thumb, recheck your rate afterwards to see if you opened any new holes. Originally, the team didn't have any trouble with Aegislash but the changes you gave made the team extremely weak to it without offering any real help against other Steels.

But now onto the actual rate itself. I don't understand why everyone is replacing Cresselia for Necrozma. I get that it's the new toy right now but as a TR setter, Cresselia is just as good, if not better due to higher bulk and ground immune. His team is in desperate need of a Fire type, and you made the right choice putting one on, but personally I'd use Charizard Y over Buzzwole. It synergizes really well with what he has right now. Zard + Lando/Scrafty is p sick and it works well with Cresselia. Now the reason I'm keeping CM Cress instead of switching it for Necrozma is 1. it has ice beam, which works really well with zard in dealing with Landorus and Salamence and 2. Ground immunity, which works well alongside Landorus (which works well with Zard removing pesky Tapu Bulus). Also I know that Zard and Buzzwole does two different things but Buzzwole is just kinda useless with Scrafty around so I replaced that first. Adding Diancie is fine though I would've replaced Wishiwashi instead (it does nothing for the team and like the OP said, it doesn't pull its weight). Vikavolt is alright I guess but personally for the last slot I would add a steel type like Aegislash so that Tapu Lele / Deo doesn't just run rampant. I have to go study for finals now so sorry if this was a bit rushed. If I think of anything better I'll hit you up

Cresselia @ Rocky Helmet / Safety Goggles
Relaxed Nature
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight
- Trick Room

Scrafty @ Sitrus Berry (the point of Scrafty on your team isn't really as an attacker, you want to keep it healthy and pressure with Fake Out. It also checks things like kyub too so it doesn't just win when it gets up a sub lol)
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Atk / 44 Def
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch / Detect
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Diancie @ Life Orb / Safety Goggles
Brave Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Trick Room
- Protect

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpA / 4 SpD / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Flamethrower / Overheat / Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect
- Solar Beam

da awesome yours also sound nice i used test bots time except marowak was vikavolt in separate team and it worked well your also looks nice but necromza did well but never as good diancie as and just as good as cressilia. i have no doubt zard would do amazing with landorus as i used talonflame lando in ORAS but one problem vikavolt and wishi washi were literally tmy 2 slowest now all my mons except aegislash and scrafty semi benefit from trick (aka medium speed not low speed) so cessilia will be replaced by something else because diance did such a good job sweeping when it took like a ten battle test drive. now some of these thing you guys metion like kyurem b aegislash, and more are threats i haven't encountered.

da awesome yours also sound nice i used test bots time except marowak was vikavolt in separate team and it worked well your also looks nice but necromza did well but never as good diancie as and just as good as cressilia. i have no doubt zard would do amazing with landorus as i used talonflame lando in ORAS but one problem vikavolt and wishi washi were literally tmy 2 slowest now all my mons except aegislash and scrafty semi benefit from trick (aka medium speed not low speed) so cessilia will be replaced by something else because diance did such a good job sweeping when it took like a ten battle test drive. now some of these thing you guys metion like kyurem b aegislash, and more are threats i haven't encountered.
You'll see more of these threats in the upper ladder (1600+), although the ladder is still young. They're used by major players who participate in Smogon's official (not room) tournaments and win them, too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)