SM OU My first team. Pls help.

I have had an equal amount of wins and losses (ha ha meme) with this team, a nearly 50/50 ratio. Frankly, I'd like to make that a 60/40 ratio at least, so I've come here to ask for strangers' advice!

So here's the team:

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

Lando-T is a classic in any OU team. In this case he works as a Stealth Rock Setter, a hazard remover, and a counter against other more offensive Lando-T's with the Hidden Power Ice. He also functions as an electric counter in this team (mostly to Tapu Koko and Zeroara). He's very flexible.

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tapu Lele is always kinda scary (unless you have a Celesteela). In my team she functions as a special sweeper and the Z-Move user. I've included her as a counter to threats of the steel, grass, or dragon variety (especially Zygarde). I also use her as a wallbreaker for Pokemon like Chansey or Clefairy.

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- U-Turn

Greninja was actually my first fully-evolved starter Pokemon (I started with Pokemon X, fight me.) I use him in this team as a special attack oriented sweeper, especially against a Volcarona. I tend to use him as a revenge killer too. Once he even 2 HKO'ed a Celesteela. He's such a good boy.

Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Electric Surge
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 104 HP / 12 Def / 176 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

I tend to use Koko here as a pivot with Lele. It helps to refresh terrains and keep counters for either in check. Koko also finds a good spot in my team as a water-killer, especially against Ash-Greninja and Keldeo.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

I used to think Medicham was a weird and bad Pokemon. Oh how wrong I was. Mega Medicham is the beef of this team, benefiting majorly from Lele's Psychic Terrain. Medicham here has proven itself a good counter against Zygarde, Dragonite, Bisharp, and Landorus-T. Arceus bless this boi.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is my tank and a good fairy and water type check. I set the hazards, and then I get the hell out of dodge (unless there's a physical attacker). Plain and simple.

Give me suggestions on how this can improve! Thanks!

I feel like rock slide on Greninja is a niche pick and it usually wont help out very much, you got Ice beam for flying types, Hydro Pump for fire types and Ice types don't pose a threat to anyone but Landorus, which is your lead, so he won't usually encounter them. I would recommend either Night Slash/Dark Pulse for STAB and because nothing else on your team can really deal with Ghost types, aside from using Koko to hopefully OHKO. Also, choice scarf and protean dont really fit together, perhaps use Ash greninja and scarf, or Life orb and protean. Also, why have Telepathy on Medicham? Just give it Pure Power from the get-go. Also, give Koko a fairy STAB move, jeez.

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I feel like rock slide on Greninja is a niche pick and it usually wont help out very much, you got Ice beam for flying types, Hydro Pump for fire types and Ice types don't pose a threat to anyone but Landorus, which is your lead, so he won't usually encounter them. I would recommend either Night Slash/Dark Pulse for STAB and because nothing else on your team can really deal with Ghost types, aside from using Koko to hopefully OHKO. Also, choice scarf and protean dont really fit together, perhaps use Ash greninja and scarf, or Life orb and protean. Also, why have Telepathy on Medicham? Just give it Pure Power from the get-go. Also, give Koko a fairy STAB move, jeez.
Rock Slide is targeted at Volcarona specifically, which eats Hydro Pump at +1. Thanks to Protean, too, every move on Greninja is STAB, so running Night Slash and Dark Pulse is practically meaningless since Ghost types are a lot less relevant right now. Scarf and Protean works fine, since it acts as a revenge killer thanks to its multiple STABs. Medi's starting ability doesn't matter, since there's never going to be a situation where it doesn't mega. Shuca Koko doesn't need fairy STAB either, as the purpose is to help Koko have to do less predicting against Ground-types such as Zygarde and Landorus namely.

E: Rock Slide can also hit Charizard-Mega-Y.

(I'll hopefully come back for a rate of my own but yh just wanted to reply explaining his moveset choices)

I'll consider the Greninja tips (countering ghosts would be nice), but I don't see why Koko would need a Fairy move. He's not built to be a remover for Pokemon that are weak against his secondary type.

ok fair point, but if he really needs to take down Char Y, tapu koko can easily outspeed and hit with a stab T-Bolt. Also, about Medicham, you might for whatever reason not mega evolve on the first turn (forgetting, missclick or whatever). As for Koko, fair point, STAB fairy isn't that necessary, but if something resists Electric and isn't 4x weak to HP Ice, it will most likely defeat Koko, including other Tapu Koko, since HP Ice and Thunderbolt do pretty much nothing against them, since Sp Attack investment isn't maxed.

ok fair point, but if he really needs to take down Char Y, tapu koko can easily outspeed and hit with a stab T-Bolt. Also, about Medicham, you might for whatever reason not mega evolve on the first turn (forgetting, missclick or whatever). As for Koko, fair point, STAB fairy isn't that necessary, but if something resists Electric and isn't 4x weak to HP Ice, it will most likely defeat Koko, including other Tapu Koko, since HP Ice and Thunderbolt do pretty much nothing against them, since Sp Attack investment isn't maxed.
What would you recommend for a Fairy STAB, and what do I replace it with?

Obviously, Dazzling Gleam, since Koko can't learn moonblast. As for what you'd replace it with... I am not too sure. Normally I'd say Roost but since your Koko is more of a tank variant than an offensive one, I am not too sure. I think that you would replace either Thunderbolt or Volt Switch, since HP Ice is important for ground and/or dragon types. My Koko is Specs, so I don't need Roost, maybe you could do the same? This team doesn't have an issue with Ground types at all honestly. You got Lando for immunity, HP Ice on Koko, Ferrothorn, Greninja and Ice Punch on Medicham, so I don't really see a reason for you to hinder Koko's power by becoming tanky for Ground types. Obviously, if you don't want to use Specs and lock yourself onto 1 move, go for Electrium Z or Fairium Z, either STAB will work fine.

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Only run Gleam on Specs/Z variants, unboosted Gleam does very little and dropping any of those moves for a very situational STAB attack isn’t worth it. Gleam is only ran on Specs sets for consistent damage on electric resists while also dealing more neutrally than HP ice.

Keep Rock Slide on Gren, seeing as protean gives you universal STAB there’s no reason to run a Dark move, a good Volcarona matchup is much more important

Rock Slide is targeted at Volcarona specifically, which eats Hydro Pump at +1. Thanks to Protean, too, every move on Greninja is STAB, so running Night Slash and Dark Pulse is practically meaningless since Ghost types are a lot less relevant right now. Scarf and Protean works fine, since it acts as a revenge killer thanks to its multiple STABs. Medi's starting ability doesn't matter, since there's never going to be a situation where it doesn't mega. Shuca Koko doesn't need fairy STAB either, as the purpose is to help Koko have to do less predicting against Ground-types such as Zygarde and Landorus namely.

E: Rock Slide can also hit Charizard-Mega-Y.

(I'll hopefully come back for a rate of my own but yh just wanted to reply explaining his moveset choices)
Come back m8. I'm waiting on the r8. :'(

Last edited:

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Overview

This is a solid offensive build, but obviously a team will have its weaknesses. For starters, Heatran is a very hard Pokemon to switch into. Its Magma Storms do over half to every Pokemon on the team (this includes trapping damage), and it traps Pokemon that thrive on momentum such as Landorus-Therian. Rain can steadily beat this team, too, as Ferrothorn is easily chipped. Landorus running Defog and Stealth Rock is problematic, and the former move can be used on another Pokemon such as Tapu Koko to lessen the role compression. Mega Alakazam is a Pokemon that this team can beat, but Modest variants (the most common right now) will OHKO Tapu Koko, Medicham, and Greninja. It also 2HKOs Landorus, Tapu Lele, and Ferrothorn. However, your team does have Greninja that can outspeed and threaten it out or outright KO it and some Medicham priority in Fake Out. With the only Fire resist being Greninja, you'll find that Charizard-Mega-Y, Victini, or the aforementioned Heatran will constantly gain kills when they come in on Pokemon like Ferrothorn or Tapu Lele.

Major Changes

>

Gliscor offers the team a solid check to Heatran, and provides a bulky Ground-type with more longevity than Landorus thanks to Poison Heal and Roost. It can set up Stealth Rock on slower, passive Pokemon such as Clefable (fear Ice Beam) or Toxapex. Thanks to Gliscor's ability, once its poisoned, it can act as this team's pseudo-status absorber.
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 44 Def / 108 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost

>

Heatran provides a Fire-immunity and additional Steel-type. With Flash Fire, Heatran has a Fire-immunity, so players can't click a Fire-type attack and always get big damage on the team. Heatran replacing Tapu Lele means that there needs to be a new Z-move user. Tran fits the bill nicely, and it can opt to run the newly popular Z-Flash Cannon set to help catch Latios-Mega on the switch. Heatran also invites in Mega Alakazam, as it often walls, but Corkscrew Crash will OHKO Alakazam on the switch.
Heatran @ Steelium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Taunt
Modest is used to OHKO Mega Latios after Stealth Rock with Corkscrew Crash. After a Spike, Choice Banded Zygarde is OHKO'd 75% of the time. This is important, as Heatran is one of the Pokemon Zygarde would be able to normally switch into. Lava Plume is an option over Magma Storm, but trapping in Clefable to Flash Cannon it down is great for Medicham.

Minor Changes

Defog > Roost

While this lessens Tapu Koko's longevity, it provides the team with a new, and still viable, Defogger. It still abuses Shuca Berry as usual to lessen prediction against Landorus and Zygarde. This is minor, but don't run Shiny Tapu Koko for competitive reasons. It lets a knowledgeable opponent know that it's Timid, which means there is no possibility of Z-Wild Charge running through the opponent's head while playing.

==

Assault Vest Tangrowth is a solid potential option over Ferrothorn to work solidly in tandem with Heatran. It checks Zygarde better, and provides a better Water-resist that can help against Alakazam, Greninja, etc. Its Knock Off utility also benefits your wallbreaker, Medicham, as it can allow 2HKOs to become a lot more likely. For example, if Tangrowth knocked off Clefable's Leftovers, Medicham (Jolly) has a 94.1.% chance to 2HKO with Zen Headbutt. I'd definitely experiment with this Pokemon, but it changes a lot about the build in that you lose a Steel-type and a Spikes user. Try this Pokemon out and tell me how it works for you!

Tapu Bulu eases the Tapu Lele and Alakazam match-up, while still being able to check Greninja, Gastrodon, etc., but it comes with similar issues as Tangrowth in that it makes you lose another Steel-type. This is also something you should experiment with over Ferrothorn.

(click me!)
Anyways, that concludes this rate. I hope my changes were slightly helpful to your team. Let me know if you find any new threats or have any questions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)