SM OU My first team

This is the team that I came up with after many alterations of a previous team I had, I would like to show it and be given feedback on how to make it better. Please note that I am not very good at battling and team composition, so please don't be too harsh on me if I make big mistakes.

1st Pokemon:
Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Seismic Toss

Sableye is my Anti-Lead Pokemon, using magic bounce to send back hazards/status. Will-O-Wisp is there to burn enemies (in a way raising Sableye's Defense), Recover is there to allow Sableye to survive longer, Knock Off is there to remove items and Seismic Toss is there to help deal damage. The only things Sableye is afraid of are Fairy Types, especially Clefable (which can setup on it) and special attackers that can setup. Sableye should have Prankster as its ability prior to mega evolving, because it could sometimes need a priority burn.

2nd Pokemon:
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Brave Bird

If the enemy doesn't have a lead that sets up traps, Skarmory is who I send out instead of Sableye. It's a nice tank that generally only has to worry about special electric types (especially Tapu Koko), Heatran and Mega Charizard-Y. Roost is there to help keep it alive, Whirlwind is to prevent Skarmory from being Setup Fodder, Spikes is there to deal nice extra damage and Brave Bird is a strong STAB that is necessary, otherwise Skarmory would only exist as a lead and would be unable to help the team in any other way.

3rd Pokemon:
Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Amoonguss serves as a secondary setup breaker and as a physical tank. Spore is self explanatory, 100% Accuracy move that puts enemies to sleep, Giga Drain is for sustain, Clear Smog is for removing buffs and HP Fire is for Ferrothorn. I have noticed that my team is weak to setup, so having Clear Smog is very important and it's also why I have whirlwind on Skarmory too. Without those two, I could have loads of trouble against setup sweepers.

4th Pokemon:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Volt Switch

Rotom-Wash is there to build momentum and help set up ways to sweep with my attackers. It is a mixed tank with Will-O-Wisp and Defog in order to weaken Physical attackers and remove stealth rock or sticky web, both of which my pokemon don't exactly apreciate. Also, Volt Switch is meant to allow me to switch pokemon, without forcing that pokemon to take damage, which is why rotom has no speed investment.

5th Pokemon:
Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Volcarona is my primary sweeper. If it can successfully set up at least one Quiver Dance, it can then easily sweep, unless it can't hit something for neutral damage. Fiery Dance also helps set up more special attack, making Volcarona more dangerous as it kills off targets. Giga Drain is a decent form of recovery, that helps deal with Rock and Water types. Bug Buzz is just a good STAB move.

6th Pokemon:
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 132 HP / 124 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn

Jirachi is a bit of a Niche pick, but it can potentially sweep, or (more likely) weaken or kill off what Volcarona doesn't really like to deal with. Iron Head and Zen Headbutt are STAB/Flinch with Serene Grace and U-turn is for a potentially useful switch out. Body Slam could be replaced with Thunder Wave, because T-Wave can paralyze Ghost Types and has a 100% chance of paralyzing, while Body Slam has 60% chance, but I prefer Body Slam because it deals a bit of extra damage and because it can paralyze Ground Types, which is pretty helpful for volcarona, since most Ground types have Rock moves.

So this is the team I have made after many attempts of making a balanced team. However, I believe a few changes could be good. For example, T-Wave on Jirachi, or Hurricane on Volcarona instead of Giga Drain. Also, I think I could replace Skarmory with Mew and allow it to cover more roles, or just give Skarmory Stealth Rock instead of Spikes.

Last edited:
First off, thank you for using my favorite Pokemon Volcarona! Second, Volcarona is never going to sweep if your opponent has a Heatran, seeing as how your only answer to it is Rotom. I suggest swapping out Giga Drain for Hidden Power Ground, and switching the item to a Z-Crystal (either STAB will do).

the team is pretty good, but my first impression is there is more bulk and defense than there is truly offensive powers. the only true offensive mon you have is volcarona, and although jirachi can have some offensive potential, you cant do much to ghost types with it, and anything that outspeeds it kinda ruins its niche with flinching, which is why they run scarf sometimes. and, volcarona is mega weak to rock, and although you have giga drain, most rock types have a secondary type that resists grass anyways, and then you have no way to hit heatran as DrPumpkinz said. so basically once volcarona goes down, it takes most of your offensive pressure with it. i would recommend switching a few things at a time, and battling with those changes on showdown to see if they were beneficial.

Oh, another thing that would make you less weak to Heatran: because you already have Volcarona to deal with Ferrothorn, you could replace Hidden Power Fire on Amoonguss with Stomping Tantrum.

amoonguss learns Stomping Tantrum? I did not know that xD

Also, do you think it would be better if I used Mew instead of Skarmory? Gets rid of a fire weakness and it can allow me to run taunt, which I'd love to have. As for more offense, I could replace rotom with greninja, but I am not sure if I want that and also if it should be protean, Ash-Greninja and also if it should be Physical,Special or Mixed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)