Projects National Dex DOU Teambuilding Competition!!!!! (Week Eighteen: Lando I)

big pichu

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator
Congratulations to qsns for winning the teambuilding competition!

For the 1.5th teambuilding competition, we're gonna have a little interlude before the official release of Pokemon Home (or its unfortunate delay, depending on circumstances)
We're gonna have a high speed, high octane competition, featuring a high speed, high octane pokemon: Zeraora!

Zeraora's high speed and access to utility moves make it an interesting option. Fast Fake Out has shown its strength in previous metagames, and being able to use moves like Snarl, Coaching, and Taunt at incredibly high speeds can let Zeraora control the match. However, things aren't all clear sky and sunshine for this Electric type, as it faces competition in the builder from both other Electric types, and other utility mons. Other Fake Out mons like Rillaboom and Incineroar provide unique utility, and National Dex provides us with strong Electric type options that put Zeraora up against difficult competition. However, Zeraora does have a unique combination of tools that should help it stand out from the crowd, and I'm super excited to see how you're able to draw out this Pokemon's flavor!

Now, this is a very special round. Unlike other rounds, you'll only have 36 hours from this post going live to finish your team and post it, at which point, voting will continue until 5/30 at 11pm PT

So work fast and work smart, everyone, and good luck to you all!

:zamazenta: :zeraora: :tapu fini: :salamence-mega: :rillaboom: :landorus:

Why use Coaching Zeraora when Zamazenta exists? Because Zamazenta is the one getting coached of course. Iron Defense Zamazenta is both super fast and can become really bulky after an Iron Defense boost, particularly considering it resists Wicked Blow. Tera Steel makes it immune to poison and allows uninvested Iron Head to OHKO max HP Flutter Mane.

Yet another Deoxys-Atk team
:zeraora::volcanion::metagross::rillaboom::salamence-mega::deoxys-attack:

Zeraora kinda sucks but it has a large supporting movepool, made viable by its amazing speed.
Expert Belt Zeraora Hidden Power Ice always KOs a Landorus with no defensive investment and does 85% min to Mega-Salamence, so we're going for that. The two Coaching Targets are Assault Vest Metagross which outspeeds a -1 Speed Marshadow, and Mega-Salamence. There's Tera Ghost Deoxys which 100% KOs Metagross-Mega, and finally your average Volcanion and Rillaboom.

Special Mega Mence - Tailwind HO
:zeraora: - :genesect: - :flutter mane: - :tornadus: - :salamence-mega: - :urshifu:

This team utilizes zeraora with genesect and darkshifu as its main coaching targets. Special mence is something that I haven't seen a lot of play from thus far, and I think has a bit of a surprise factor.

Modest tornadus is the best tw setter in the tier imo, and this team benefits greatly from it, allowing +spa booster flutter to outspeed opposing flutter manes without losing the spa boost. Gene seems to be a common fake out target, so cloak allows it to function in the face of incineroar, rillaboom, and other fake out spam.

Glimmer

I count your heartbeats before you sleep
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
:ss/urshifu::ss/zeraora::ss/tornadus::ss/tapu-fini::ss/metagross-mega::ss/rillaboom:
AV Urshifu Zeraora Balance

AV Urshifu has always intrigued me, decided I would try it here. Bulky Urshifu is a great check to the likes of Chien-Pao, Chi-Yu, and Mega Metagross. This Urshifu goes well with the fast Fake Out and Coaching of Zeraora. Zeraora also carries Volt Switch to pivot into the heavy hitters while dealing damage, and Hidden Power Ice to get rid of potential Flyinium Z Landorus-T and Mega Salamence. Tornadus helps this bulkier less speed Urshifu to get up to speed in a pinch while also dealing good damage and dealing with both Landorus Incarnate and Therian, and Great Tusk. Mega Metagross is the secondary Coaching target, dealing lots of damage with a +1 Steel Roller. For Steel Roller to be consistent the other two Pokemon are both excellent terrain setters. Tapu Fini deals with Urshifu and Volcanion and uses Nature's Madness on pesky stuff like opposing Rillaboom and Genesect. The Defense and Special Attack investments are both for Urshifu, living two Tera Dark Life Orb Wicked Blows and OHKOing Tera Dark Urshifu with Moonblast all the time. Rillaboom is another good support and pivot and helps the team against Zygarde and opposing Tapu Fini.​

:zeraora: :flutter mane: :Charizard-Mega-Y: :Hoopa-Unbound: :whimsicott: :chi-yu: :zeraora:
zeraora fulfills a nice niche in sun by hitting resists such as incin, fini and volcanion while also being a good speed control whether it is with tailwind on both sides or neither as it outpseeds most of the tier with its electro web and can even hit a lot of mons for good damage or ko them with the combo of plasma fist and cc. zard flutter and chi-yu are quite self explanatory, they can put out a lot of damage in sun especially in tandem with each other and in tailwind. hoopa is a bit of a wildcard but if positioned right it can shred through teams similar to how urshifu can except it can break shields for its allies and get a suprise ko on fairies with gunk shot and tera poison.

big pichu

It looks like a tie between ratpacker and yobuddy so.....
1685526661268.png

For next week, the pick is Enamorus-Therian!

Admittedly, Enamorus-Therian hasn't gotten as many eyes as its more Incarnate counterpart, but it presents an interesting new mon due to this specific meta. Resisting Urshifu's STABs is a huge advantage, and Enamorus-T enjoys the increased bulk -- with max HP investment and no defensive investment, Enamorus-T can survive Urshifu's Poison Jab, and is 3HKO by Wicked Blow. Enamorus-T also comes with another benefit -- Overcoat means that Amoonguss can't redirect with Rage Powder, giving Enamorus a little more freedom. The slower speed is something I find interesting as well, positioning Enamorus-T in a new space in the metagame that's relatively underexplored.

Of course, there are issues. Enamorus-T's lack of solid Flying STAB makes it less enticing, and it seems to lack some of the elements that makes its fellow genies such a force of nature in any healthy meta. Still, Enamorus-T has potentially interesting options, so I'm excited to see what people come up with for the newest member of the cloud animal family!

This is officially week 2, so teambuilding ends on June 4th, 11PM PT, and there will be 48 hours to vote!

Enamorus semiroom
:enamorus-therian::jirachi::incineroar::palafin::chien-pao::landorus:
Enamorus Therian is bad and barely justifies its slot on a team. It's a slightly bulkier Hatterene with a worse ability and access to Earth Power. Except it relies on a teammate to setup Trick Room for it. So Jirachi is there, it lives a Shadow Ball from Specs Flutter and sets up the Trick Room.

sir jelloton

DPL Champion
Enamorus-T Sand
https://pokepast.es/2d92bd1ca41b2d58
:Enamorus-Therian: / :Excadrill: / :Tyranitar-Mega: / :Dracovish: / :Tsareena: / :Marshadow:
My first building comp entry woo-hoo

Enamorus sure doesn't seem to have a lot of things going for it in this tier, but I think it has quite the niche on sand. It's typing helps it form a nice defensive synergy with excadrill and dracovish, giving it a niche over other genies, and it's bulk and ability allows it to switch into amoongus without sacrificing an item slot as well as consistently stay on the field, giving it a niche over enamorus-I.

Ttar, vish and drill have the obvious roles of being the sand and it's abusers. Tsareena provides priority block to mitigate the likes of rillaboom and palafin, as well as fake out user's like mega-kanghaskan and Indeedee. It's ev'd to outspeed mega-salamence in tailwind as well as ohkho tornados with triple axle. Scarf marshadow rounds out the team to outspeed and ohkho basuclegion, and kingdra with Tera fighting cc after rocks and sand chip, helping to not get late game cleaned by rain teams.

Glimmer

I count your heartbeats before you sleep
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
:cresselia::enamorus-therian::volcanion::zygarde::venusaur-mega::urshifu:
ENAMORUS-T CRESSELIA SEMI-TR

I think Enamorus-T has a nice niche of a bulkier Trick Room oriented Flutter Mane that has Overcoat to protect itself from Spore. Fairy/Flying gives it a good matchup into Urshifu and Rillaboom, and Springtide Storm does a lot of damage when it decides to not miss. I paired it up with Cresselia due to being a bulky Trick Room setter and its access to the new move Lunar Blessing. Rest of the team is fairly standard, Volcanion and Mega Venusaur as secondary Trick Room abusers to cover for Kartana, Tapu Fini, and opposing Flutter Mane. Zygarde and Urshifu are for damage outside of Trick Room and Zygarde can still use Trick Room to its advantage as its not that fast.

bagel

is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris the defending DOU Circuit Champion
Doubles Leader
:Enamorus-Therian::Jirachi::Porygon2::Ursaluna::Iron-Hands::Rillaboom:

Specs Enamorus-T TR

From the (admittedly little) testing I've done with the mon this doesn't seem to be the tier for it. It competes with a lot of other mons and somehow still needs to tera to beat good Amoonguss sets even though it has Overcoat. I think CM sets are too passive and waste TR turns, so I went oonga boonga Tera Fairy Choice Specs to maximize damage under TR. It doesn't actually like being locked into moves that much, but it has the same SPA stat as Flutter and spread fairy moves is good (when it hits). If you are a lame coward Life Orb/Pixie Plate and Dazzling Gleam is probably another option. The rest of the team are pretty standard "get TR up" mons in P2/Rilla/Rachi and "kill stuff in TR" mons in Hands/Ursaluna.

Fhyr

Banned deucer.
:enamorus-therian: :camerupt-mega: :farigiraf: :volcanion: :escavalier: :zygarde:

Mega Camerupt has pretty good synergy with Enamourus-Therian as well as being another powerful TR attacker. Flyinium on enam allows it to have two stabs while ep gives it perfect coverage. Farigiraf is a bulky tr setter that also provides utility through armour tail and can become threatening with nasty plot. Volcanion is a much needed water resist that can also provide utility with taunt and burns. Escavalier provides a useful typing to the team while being yet another good TR attacker, and Zygarde is a ground type with priority.Obviously dd is questionable on tr so im trying out a lorb breaking swipe set.

might change later idk

Smudge

NatDex Doubles TL
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

^Click for team!
Enamorus sucks, but building with sucky mons can be fun and I think this team is pretty cool. Super hard TR is fun.

Stak, Luna, and Lurantis can probably carry it to victory, and if Enamorus rolls a bad matchup or has done its job you can just healing wish to one of them and I think that's a pretty unique way to use it. Otherwise, Specs storm does decent damage, EP hits a good chunk of the metagame, and I think mystical fire is pretty cool to nerf the dmg output of opponents.

Rest of the sets are pretty standard, but Stak is notable because it's the set that boosts Atk for Beast Boost, and it's able to blow up a lot of the things that beat the rest of the team like Fini, Bundle, not a ton of things live Gyro at +1 or 2.

Last edited:

big pichu

ratpacker:
:enamorus-therian::jirachi::incineroar::palafin::chien-pao::landorus:
sir jelloton
:Enamorus-Therian: :Excadrill: :Tyranitar-Mega: :Dracovish: :Tsareena: :Marshadow:
glimmerrdust
:cresselia::enamorus-therian::volcanion::zygarde::venusaur-mega::urshifu:
bage1
:Enamorus-Therian::Jirachi::Porygon2::Ursaluna::Iron-Hands::Rillaboom:
Fhyr
:enamorus-therian: :camerupt-mega: :farigiraf: :volcanion: :escavalier: :zygarde:
smudgerox

:enamorus-therian: :stakataka: :incineroar: :lurantis: :jirachi: :ursaluna:

voting ends on 6/6 at 11pm PT
Post the name of the person you're voting for, and remember, no voting for yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)