Sports NBA Thread: 2023-2024 Season

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
New season is upon us!

Lets use this thread as discussion for the upcoming season.

What are some of your early predictions as well as what do you hope to see from certain teams?

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor
Might post some predicts later but for now I'm wondering about Smogon Fantasy Basketball and who runs that.

Anyways, the suns aren't true contenders...

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor
I'm down for any fantasy stuff really, just tag me when you guys have a plan, or if you need any help running it I'm also down to help.

awyp

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Saw some highlights of the Celtics yesterday. Pritchard getting 30 million for 4 years is a steal. I think one of the most underrated players in the league. Great handles, solid shooter from 3 and a good defender at his size, and can make pin point passes when needed. Porzingis looked really good from a health perspective, I hope it stays that way. I think this might be Boston's year tbh if everyone stays healthy.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
The new season is approaching faster than I thought. I told myself to have at least one NBA team to start rooting for this year, but I still haven't made a decision. I hope it's not too late to make a decision, but if any of you would be willing to help me search that would be great. I already have teams for football, soccer, and baseball, and generally speaking I don't care so much about "staying local" as much as I might care about the smaller, often underlooked things a franchise does to stand out that I can appreciate. I might be thinking about this way harder than I need to be, but in my indecisiveness I've even made a list of the things I would and wouldn't want out of my new favorite team(s).

• Things I Want
    • Players and coaches that (at least as far as we can know) aren't completely toxic
    • People who are doing this for more than just the game (hey, we all have our own causes, right?)
    • Someone who's generally consistently fun to watch regardless of the game's outcome
    • A team and/or group of teams that emphasizes demonstrating the improvements made during practice
    • I don't know if this last one correlates with any specific NBA franchise, but if any of them also make the sport easier to learn more about, that is only a further benefit
  • Things I Don't Want
    • While it's not a complete deal-breaker if the team does a lot of things I like, I ideally don't want to root for some OP super-franchise
    • I absolutely hate it when franchises in any sport that recognize problems but refuse to acknowledge they're problems
    • A team that banks its entire success on, like, one or two players (I am a bit more lenient with this for basketball though since 5v5 is less than, say, 11v11 or 9v9 for instance)

awyp

RMT Leader
The new season is approaching faster than I thought. I told myself to have at least one NBA team to start rooting for this year, but I still haven't made a decision. I hope it's not too late to make a decision, but if any of you would be willing to help me search that would be great. I already have teams for football, soccer, and baseball, and generally speaking I don't care so much about "staying local" as much as I might care about the smaller, often underlooked things a franchise does to stand out that I can appreciate. I might be thinking about this way harder than I need to be, but in my indecisiveness I've even made a list of the things I would and wouldn't want out of my new favorite team(s).

• Things I Want
    • Players and coaches that (at least as far as we can know) aren't completely toxic
    • People who are doing this for more than just the game (hey, we all have our own causes, right?)
    • Someone who's generally consistently fun to watch regardless of the game's outcome
    • A team and/or group of teams that emphasizes demonstrating the improvements made during practice
    • I don't know if this last one correlates with any specific NBA franchise, but if any of them also make the sport easier to learn more about, that is only a further benefit
  • Things I Don't Want
    • While it's not a complete deal-breaker if the team does a lot of things I like, I ideally don't want to root for some OP super-franchise
    • I absolutely hate it when franchises in any sport that recognize problems but refuse to acknowledge they're problems
    • A team that banks its entire success on, like, one or two players (I am a bit more lenient with this for basketball though since 5v5 is less than, say, 11v11 or 9v9 for instance)
Become a Dallas Mavericks fan

------

Wemby is looking extremely scary, and Chet isn't looking half bad either. Excited for this Rookie class.

having grown up a Knicks fan i'm use to Dolan-- Dolaning and then me in turn being like "Okay lemme follow the Lebrons, Butlers, Lillards, etc" I enjoy watching lol.

i'm hoping for our Synder----Washington [Redacted]s/Commanders come up with new ownership - might die before it lmaooo

Yearly prediction:

Playoff seedings

East

1 Bucks
2 Celtics
3 Cavs
4 Sixers
5 Knicks
6 Pacers
7 Heat
8 Hawks
9 Raptors
10 Magic

This was pretty straightforward. Couple hard cuts at the end, especially the Nets. There’s a chance the Raptors or Hawks go full fire sale at the deadline.

West

1 Grizzlies
2 Nuggets
3 Kings
4 Suns
5 Mavericks
6 Timberwolves
7 Lakers
8 Warriors
9 Clippers
10 Thunder

Much harder. I think the Kings, Mavs and Grizz will stack up a lot of regular season wins due to their youth and depth. Some hard cuts too with the Jazz, Pelicans and Rockets likely to be competitive… really hard conference to project. I wanted to fit a Thunder leap in there but it’s hard to drop one of the Lakers, Clips or Dubs. Wolves will keep their heads above water due to Ant Edwards emerging as a superstar.

ECF: Celtics over Bucks in 6
WCF: Nuggets over Suns in 6
Finals: Celtics over Nuggets in 7

MVP: Giannis; ROY: Scoot Henderson; DPOY: Evan Mobley
KAT is the first superstar traded, if I had to guess to Toronto or Atlanta
Feeling that Siakam, Donovan Mitchell, and DeRozen might all be moved too
Wemby impresses but will also be on a minutes restriction. Ditto for Chet on the minutes restriction.
OKC pushes some chips in for frontcourt help. Probably not Embiid or KAT, but maybe OG Anunoby and/or Nic Vucevic
Wizards, Spurs, and Blazers make up the top 3 of the lottery
CP3 retires after the season
Expansion franchises for Seattle and Vegas announced
Biggest breakouts: Shaedon Sharpe, Bennedict Mathurin and Jalen Suggs

awyp

RMT Leader

We really just have to appreciate what Danny Green is doing at his age.

awyp

RMT Leader
1697144554695.png

this is kinda of a response to a couple months ago when I was compiling a top 10, only thing I change is put Dame infront of Lebron and push AD out the top of the top 10

awyp

RMT Leader

The way Wemby moves for 7’3 is wild to me it kinda reminds me of Kevin Durant but 4 inches taller. He’s going to be a great player

Damn he's so fluid
It stands out even more bc i've been watching porzingis play for us and wemby makes him look super stiff in comparison

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

• Things I Want
  • Things I Don't Want
I would get on the ground floor of a young team like the Spurs, Rockets, Magic, or Pistons.

Speaking from experience, it's super heartwarming to follow young teams through their development into being good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)